Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My comprehensive review of DOMO

LiddokunLiddokun Member UncommonPosts: 1,665

Instead of writing it in a paragraph form I'm just gonna list what I like about the game and what I don't like about it.

What I like:

* Cell shaded anime style graphics. The graphics is very simple undetailed and drawn anime style. If feels like you're playing in an episode of an anime. It's all 3D and it looks good on many pc even if your pc don't have the best 3D card.

* Music. The music is nice and very asian. Although it is a bit repetitive. It changes when you go into battle and plays a battle mode music. Each area seems to have its own music although a lot of the various area maps have shared music esp around Eversun City.

* Dungeons and Instancing. The main storyline and a lot of the boss encounter events are instanced but a majority of the dungeons are shared dungeons.

* Job system. You can change to any job you have qualified for ala Final Fantasy Online. You must talk to an npc in town and you can change job instantly. You can have 1 main job and 2 subjob (FFXI only allows you 1 subjob). All the stat of your jobs are saved when you change so no worries about stat allocation.

* Tradeskill system. I like the tradeskill system a lot, it's in fact designed to discourage gold farmers from setting foot in the game. All mobs do not drop gold, instead all primary gold influx are earned thru questing, selling npc drops, crafting, or selling to other players. In fact resourceful players DO NOT have to spend any gold at all except for buying tools for crafting since you can craft your own armor/weapons or quests will cover most of your armor/weapon needs.

* Repair system. Well your weapons and equipment wears down eventually after a long time of usage. You can repair weapons from an NPC but repairing a weapon has a chance that the totally durability of the weapon gets damaged so you'll eventually have to replace that weapon and buy a new one. Repairing armor on the other hand is totally another problem. Since you are required to buy an item mall item to repair armor durability eventually you will have to replace your armor with a new one which keeps the economy flowing.

* Flying. Well at level 15 you can do a relatively short and simple quest that lets your fly. You fly very slowly at first but you can do quest or obtain items that speed up your flying speed. Flying lets you travel faster than walking and you can overcome most obstacles by flying over them. Some areas does not let you fly at all like inside a dungeon. You can fly at anytime but you can only land on designated landing zone places (which is marked by a huge column of light with 4 stone statues around it).

What I don't like:

* Since there are limited number of shared dungeons in the game the most populated ones can host only a very low number of players. And this makes some dungeons overcrowded so kill stealing and camp stealing occurs a lot. There are many AOE teams (teams composed of primarily wizards/shamans) that run around AOE killing everything in their path and if you are a solo player.. then either join a team or move to other places to train/hunt. A simple solution to this is to spawn a new instance to the dungeon when one is full.

* The GMs of the game allow kill stealing except in situations when harassment occurs. Relying on a GM to resolve problems is not effective at all and at times unfavorable solutions might occur leading to resentment among the community.

* Community is a mix bag, there are many nice people and there are many people with "attitude problems" as well. Well that's pretty typical of a F2P game I guess where 13 year olds (or 30 year old) punks are mouthing off in the broadcast channel of the game.

* The Aeriagames (USA only) version of DOMO is several patches behind the JP version and they are lacking several classes (Fencer, Witch Doctor, etc) from the current (latest version) of the game. There are several quests which leads to nowhere and are obviously incomplete. I mean come on if you're gonna license an ASIAN game to the US at least give us the latest version of the game. Don't they believe in simultaneous version patching of the game ?

Comments

• kevkirbykevkirby Member Posts: 8

well they are trying to put in the extra jobs cause some needed some balancing. and for the ksing, you really cant do anything about that cause unless you have extreme proof, you cant ban someone. and the gms are really helpful too, ingame and outgame. for the dungeons, most are getting implemented. i mean, this is only recently turned into open beta. they only can work so fast.

• LiddokunLiddokun Member UncommonPosts: 1,665

Updated: 2/27/2008

* Repair system. Well your weapons and equipment wears down eventually after a long time of usage. You can repair weapons and armor (although it only says weapons on the menu) from the ironmonger although repairing items will reduce their overall durability (depending on your luck usually 10% of durability is lost per repair). I suggest not repairing an item until it's durability has gone way down (near breaking point), your armor and weapons is as good whether they're at max durability or 1 durability. In case your favorite weapons/armor has worn to be beyond repair there's an item mall item that restores 500 points of durability to each armor/weapons. Weapons and armor in the game are rarely totally worn out thru use (except for some class which does damage to weapons when using certain skill). Most likely you will outgrow your weapons/armor before they totally broke.

Originally posted by kevkirby

well they are trying to put in the extra jobs cause some needed some balancing. and for the ksing, you really cant do anything about that cause unless you have extreme proof, you cant ban someone. and the gms are really helpful too, ingame and outgame. for the dungeons, most are getting implemented. i mean, this is only recently turned into open beta. they only can work so fast.
    Yeah kill stealing is not really that big of an issue since mobs respawn almost as soon as they are killed. And sometimes lag can make it look like a mob is not engaged until the packets starts rolling in and update your game client. I agree the GMs in this game are some of the most helpful ones I've seen in an F2P game. They regularly announce their presence in the system announcement channel.
  • kevkirbykevkirby Member Posts: 8

and dont forget, YOU CAN BUY CASH ITEMS OFF PEOPLE WHO BOUGHT THEM! THANK YOU PEOPLE WHO SELL CASH ITEMS!

Originally posted by kevkirby

and dont forget, YOU CAN BUY CASH ITEMS OFF PEOPLE WHO BOUGHT THEM! THANK YOU PEOPLE WHO SELL CASH ITEMS!

Yeah tradeable cash items are one of the major goods being traded in the in-game economy. Other F2P games makes sure the item malls are non tradeable. Although recently they changed many of the permanent costumes (not all) to be non-transferable.