Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Facilitating discussion

CherishedCherished Member Posts: 9

I played this game for a while, got to know the CSRs, and had a few confrontations with the devs. I haven't played the game in a long time because I stopped enjoying it, and I lost faith in Auran, particularly Adam Carpenter and Tony. Vortal already let us know that one of the motivating factors behind keeping the forums down  was a means of shutting down the suggestions players were making.

I just finished the bar exam yesterday so I finally had some free time. I was looking through some old files this morning. I just found some of the posts from the AotC transition.

Please understand that I wanted and still want the best for this game. I simply don't feel that the people currently in control of the project, regardless of the talent of the staff, took the game in the right direction. It may still be a fun game to play, but it certainly could never qualify as an e-sport at this point, which is why I view the game as it is as a failure and a novelty. During alpha and beta, and during the Fury challenge, Auran had the e-sport community frothing at the bit.

The game was straight PvP, highly competitive, rich and complex in its mechanics without overly compromising the role skill played in the game. Balance issues were addressed quickly, the CSRs were absolutely awesome (Dan and Alex had quite the following), and we always felt like we were a part of the process. Even if our suggestions were ignored, we at least believed that they were being taken into account. However, Adam and Cam had their own vision for the game. As a result, WoW and perhaps even Guild Wars are beating Fury quite soundly to the e-sport punch. The very games Fury was meant to be the panacea of are demonstrating that they're better at listening to their respective competitive communities more ably than the dedicated staff Fury formerly employed.

So I'll post up some of the discussions as the week goes on, and maybe we can get a response as to what went wrong and whether it's fixable.

Comments

• A55A5INA55A5IN Member Posts: 175

Good post & thanx for taking the time to come back & actually comment .

Not such a fan of your other recent posts quoting older posts mainly because they seem to  be barking at a train that has long left the station.

Anyway, don't take my comments the wrong way, I am all for progressive discussion and just don't think bringing up old posts and interviews is the way forward.

• CherishedCherished Member Posts: 9

I disagree that the issues posted in the prior discussions are no longer relevant issues. The fact that there has been so little communication between the current development team and the Fury community undermines the promises made by Hilliam and Carpenter when AotC first came out. The fact that (I believe) Adam Carpenter is still the lead developer of this game after it took such a sound beating from the press and essentially led to the downfall of one of the most prominent game developers in Australia is still very relevant, despite the fact that time has passed.

This is exactly why I'm bringing this up now-- it's been months, and there has been no word concerning the future of this game. Tony and Adam failed previously, and Tony even admitted to this, by not being personally involved in the community and by not really taking the community voice into account. I fail to see how the train has left the station when these issues still exist.

Reminding newer players of why this game still struggles is important. Keeping players informed so that they can work towards making the game a greater success is a matter of current concern.

If you're satisfied with the game as is, more power to you. While I'm sure the friendly competition is quite entertaining, the tournament system seems to have gone the way of the Dodo and that's not what anyone really expected from this game. Tournament style pvp (a la Fury Challenges) was the life blood of this game, and Tony made some promises concerning future Fury Challenges that he hasn't said a WORD about in months. I had actually planned on coming back for that, but I'm beginning to wonder if it was just another empty promise.

I think the people who have stuck with the game deserve a little more communication and a little more respect from the devs, as they were promised. So while the posts are old, their points are no less relevant now than they were then.