Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking about a new PC

Well not really thinking, I really need a new PC. However, I am torn between a bunch of different builds. I am going to list the two on the top of my list, and you tell me what you think.

Note : Both are from Cyberpowersystem.com

Intel-Based System

Case : ALUMINUM X-SuperAlien Server 500W W/ Window & LCD Temperature Display + Fan Control

Processor : (800FSB) Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU @ 3.2GHZ 512K ~ CBN802

Motherboard : *(DDR400-800MHz FSB)ASUS P4P800 SE I865PE AGP8X DUAL DDR w/AUDIO,USB2,LAN

RAM : 1024 MB (512MBx2) PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY (Corsair XMS PRO High Performance Memory w/ Heat Spreader & LED Lights)

Hard Drive : MAXTOR 120GB 7200 RPM ATA 133 HARD DRIVE

Video Card : nVidia GeForce FX 6800 Ultra 256MB AGP8X w/TVO&DVI

DVD - ROM : ARTEC 16X DVD ROM

CD - ROM : ARTEC CD-RW 52X32X52

Sound Card : Creative Labs SB Audigy-2 ZS 7.1

Speakers : Creative Labs SBS 560 5.1 Surround Subwoofer Speaker System

Operating System : XP Home

No monitor because I have a 21" Sony Trinitron I am quite happy with.

$1813.00

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AMD-Based System

Case : ALUMINUM X-SuperAlien Server 500W W/ Window & LCD Temperature Display + Fan Control

Processor : (939-pin) AMD™ ATHLON™64 3500+ PROCESSOR ~ CAF803

Motherboard : (939-pin Socket) ASUS A8V DELUXE VIA K8T800 MAINBOARD WITH LAN, USB2.0, IEEE, & AUDIO

RAM : 1024 MB (512MBx2) PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY (Corsair XMS PRO High Performance Memory w/ Heat Spreader & LED Lights)

Hard Drive : MAXTOR 120GB 7200 RPM ATA 133 HARD DRIVE

Video Card : ATI Radeon X800 PRO 256MB DDR3 8x AGP W/ TV-OUT & DVI

DVD - ROM : ARTEC 16X DVD ROM

CD - ROM : ARTEC CD-RW 52X32X52

Sound Card : Creative Labs SB Audigy-2 ZS 7.1

Speakers : Creative Labs SBS 560 5.1 Surround Subwoofer Speaker System

Operating System : XP Home

$2024.00

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those are my two possible PCs. Chose one or mix and match parts. Thanks for help in advance.

Comments

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359
    Are these pre-built?  You can get about the same for about $400 cheaper if you just build yourself.  Both look good, but I would definately go with the AMD.

--------------------------------------------

33.333333333333336% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?

Killer 100%
    Achiever 53%
    Explorer 33%
    Socializer 13%

--------------------------------------------

• DrakaeonDrakaeon Member Posts: 630

Cyber Power System

Yes, pre-built.

Are you sure? I checked on Newegg.com and not only didn't they have most of the parts, some were more money.

This isn't a question about knowing how to built computers, I can do that really easily... tell me where I can get the parts to equal a cheaper price.

• KiamdeKiamde Member CommonPosts: 5,820

Your best bet to save money is to find a local dealer of computer parts [aka homebrew] and build it under their watch. You could save much, much money. Newegg would be my next guess. You don't usually save too much cash but the customer service is A+.

-----------------

"Aim at the King and you better not miss"~Omar "The Wire"

"Whoever controls the media controls the mind..-'Jim Morrison"

"When decorum is repression, the only dignity free men have is to speak out." ~Abbie Hoffman

Problem is I live on the outskirts of New York city (on a damn island... there are only two, narrow it down). There are no places big on computer parts. I could go into the city itself... but that requires public transportation... no good for transporting a PC.

Anyway... maybe I can drive there... it is annoying but maybe.

P.S - I am not sure there are any in manhatten either. Damn New York.

*EDIT*

The best place I got to go is Best Buy. Suck, eh?

• ThriftThrift Member Posts: 1,783
    I dont know if this will help you or not but a good site for PC parts is http://www.newegg.com/ you should check it out im thinking of getting some parts off there image

Xclipz
    --------
    Waiting for:
    World of Warcraft
    ------------------------

• KiamdeKiamde Member CommonPosts: 5,820

Originally posted by Xclipz
    I dont know if this will help you or not but a good site for PC parts is http://www.newegg.com/ you should check it out im thinking of getting some parts off there image Xclipz--------Waiting for:World of Warcraft------------------------

He already said that he checked Newegg.

Whatever you do, do not buy from best buy. I'd want you to buy from Dell before you buy from those cheap bastards. If you buy at Best Buy plan on paying hundreds more. Not saying you will though, but it will be more expensive.

-----------------

"Aim at the King and you better not miss"~Omar "The Wire"

"Whoever controls the media controls the mind..-'Jim Morrison"

"When decorum is repression, the only dignity free men have is to speak out." ~Abbie Hoffman

Kiamde, I would never buy from Best Buy or Dell.

• RJCoxRJCox Member Posts: 2,686

I stoped about halfway through but I was finding every single one of those pieces on Newegg...

Richard J. Cox
    "There were much of the beautiful, much of the wanton, much of the bizarre, something of the terrible, and not a little of that which might have excited disgust."

I can find them all too Kunou. Now, look at the "In-Stock" option.

Number one problem is - they don't have either video cards.

*EDIT*

Both cards are also cheaper on cyberpowersystem.com