Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Major Announcement reveiled.

Pjay2kPjay2k Member CommonPosts: 260

Cant tell you my source, but the major announcement in 3 weeks is:

1x New playable race soon (source couldnt tell me if its for the good side or the evil side of lotro)

1x retail expansion pack in early summer 2008

and some more little goodies for the player base.

cheers.

SOE and NGE-Star Wars Galalaxies:
Raph Koster: "It's like dumping the girlfriend who has always been patient and loving to chase after the supermodel who probably won't love you back."

Comments

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

My guess. Announcement is expansion pack.

No surprise, we all awaited it.

As for new playable race. This is probably bogus.

There are no (good) races that are not cowered in game. And evil races can not be implemented without rewriting the game completely.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Hm, there are possible playable races to add.

Ent - ok not likely, but for the theory

Halfelf - Elrond is said to be one, so might be flashed out as race

Halforc - exists as mobs

other human sub-races like Rohirrim or later on southerlings whatever. Or other kinds of humanoid hybrid. In the long run, much of middle earth was not covered in the books, all of Harad and Rhun for instance might have different races. ;)

I want to see dark skinned Elves from the old east. Not evil darkelves, just dark skinned Elves. ^^

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• TrudgerTrudger Member Posts: 11

The devs said in a Codemasters chat the the "Orc Defiler"  a creep that can heal will be added in Book 13.    Maybe that's your new playable "race" being refered to in the OP.

(FWIW - I know it's a class not a race)

• DonnieBrascoDonnieBrasco Member Posts: 1,757

Rohirin are already in the game (you can choose Rohan as your birthplace for a human character).

It would not be a different race anyhow...

(playable Goblin creeps, oh yes! :)

DB

Denial makes one look a lot dumber than he/she actually is.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Originally posted by Elikal

Hm, there are possible playable races to add.
    Ent - ok not likely, but for the theory
    Halfelf - Elrond is said to be one, so might be flashed out as race
    Halforc - exists as mobs
    other human sub-races like Rohirrim or later on southerlings whatever. Or other kinds of humanoid hybrid. In the long run, much of middle earth was not covered in the books, all of Harad and Rhun for instance might have different races. ;)
    I want to see dark skinned Elves from the old east. Not evil darkelves, just dark skinned Elves. ^^

Ent? There were only a handfull of ents in whole middle earth. It is same as making balrog playable race (on creep side)

Halfelf , perhaps only resonable posibility. But they loos same as elves, so whats the point ?

Halforc is evil race... i doubt free people will get half orc race.

It is probably addition to creeps. Which is good enough

• WallanoWallano Member Posts: 104

Goblins and Orcs?

• Bedlem3342Bedlem3342 Member UncommonPosts: 252

What about a goblin race creep with like 10 pets? And wargs being mounts?

• AckbarNLAckbarNL Member Posts: 458

Originally posted by Trudger

The devs said in a Codemasters chat the the "Orc Defiler"  a creep that can heal will be added in Book 13.    Maybe that's your new playable "race" being refered to in the OP.

(FWIW - I know it's a class not a race)

Treu , if thay are gonne add an orc healer in book`13 to the monsterplay, chance that thay add in the evil race, are non, but i still wonder what the mpvp will end up eventuly in this game, it eventuly will die im afriad.

Playing: World of Warcraft.
    Played: Lord of the Rings Online, Starwars Galaxies.
    Tried: Starwars the Old Republic, Everquest 2, Guild Wars, Vanguard, Age of Conan, Aion.

• GrindalyxGrindalyx Member UncommonPosts: 657

To the guy who suggested half elf as a race. In the world of middle earth a person who is born of a human and elf parent has to choose wich heritage they will follow. Elrond choose to be counted amoungst the elves. His brother (can't remember his name right now) choose to be counted amoungst the humans.

So basically you would have to decide wich race you side of your heritage you would follow and in essence become either a human or an elf.

Also elrond was alot more than just halve elf and human. There was some maiar mixed in there also. The halve elven title he bore wasn't a name for a race but more a status symbol that he was one of the few who had such heritage. For all those who could be counted as half elves were accounted for by tolkien in his writings. and since it is eluded to in the hobbit that elrond is a half elf then they can look into the other writings outside the license to get a better grasp of what a half elf is.

They can't though just create a whole new race that doesn't exist in the lore. Half elf in the lore is not a race of beings. Plain and simple.

imageimage

• dragonacedragonace Member UncommonPosts: 1,185

These are already known... so the "major" announcement won't be any of these things... these are all items being added in book 13.

• New PVMP class "Orc Defiler", healer counterpart for creeps.
    • Ability to show/hide various part of your clothing different for each outfit set.
    • new Light Armor appearance model
    • You will no longer loose your house, but it will be locked unless you pay it back.
    • Circlets that does not replace hair is coming with Book 13
    • Fishing
    • New big zone larger than Evendim, enough to keep explorers happy. No new raids, however, Annúminas revisited
    • Crafting changes, Various mob drops will stack. So no only Turtles to get claws from..
    • More Emotes

From this link:

lotro.stratics.com/php-bin/show_content.php

• SinceAlwaysSinceAlways Member Posts: 3

Ents lol.... howbout they add Wizards? Or ring wraiths?

• CerionCerion Member Posts: 1,005
    Originally posted by Pjay2k

Cant tell you my source, but the major announcement in 3 weeks is:
    1x New playable race soon (source couldnt tell me if its for the good side or the evil side of lotro)

cheers.

Can't tell you my source, but he tells me your source is rather lame. Or retarded. Or both. 

Games I'm watching: Infinity: The Quest for Earth, Force of Arms.

Find the Truth: http://www.factcheck.org/

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by Grindalyx

To the guy who suggested half elf as a race. In the world of middle earth a person who is born of a human and elf parent has to choose wich heritage they will follow. Elrond choose to be counted amoungst the elves. His brother (can't remember his name right now) choose to be counted amoungst the humans.
    So basically you would have to decide wich race you side of your heritage you would follow and in essence become either a human or an elf.
    Also elrond was alot more than just halve elf and human. There was some maiar mixed in there also. The halve elven title he bore wasn't a name for a race but more a status symbol that he was one of the few who had such heritage. For all those who could be counted as half elves were accounted for by tolkien in his writings. and since it is eluded to in the hobbit that elrond is a half elf then they can look into the other writings outside the license to get a better grasp of what a half elf is.
    They can't though just create a whole new race that doesn't exist in the lore. Half elf in the lore is not a race of beings. Plain and simple.

I know the Tolkien lore as good as you, thanks. ,)

But a bit creativity can't hurt. Its not a religion. A Halfelf may look less "dreamy eyed" thank Elves and less "bulky" than humans and mixed stats. Tolkien is nowhere that explicit about Elves and their look anyway.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• CerionCerion Member Posts: 1,005

But a bit creativity can't hurt. Its not a religion. A Halfelf may look less "dreamy eyed" thank Elves and less "bulky" than humans and mixed stats. Tolkien is nowhere that explicit about Elves and their look anyway.

Except that the half-elven most people imagine when the term is used is a complete fantasy bastardization -- the D&D version.

What makes the half-elven trope so compelling in Tolkien's work is that the Elf maiden is giving up immortality for love.  If that commitment happened willy-nilly, as it does in a lot of hack fantasy, all the power in that mythology is lost.

Games I'm watching: Infinity: The Quest for Earth, Force of Arms.

Find the Truth: http://www.factcheck.org/

• TeiraaTeiraa Member UncommonPosts: 447

Originally posted by Pjay2k

Early summer is a bit early. We know that Book 13 and 14 will be free content updates, so no expansion pack before late summer.

And little goodies, we get them all the time....

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

They found a publisher for the Russian release.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • Jaxom92Jaxom92 Member Posts: 267

Way to go OP on posting another topic about this about an hour after the first one.

Check out my LOTRO Blog: www.middleearthadventurer.blogspot.com

• GrindalyxGrindalyx Member UncommonPosts: 657

We know what they looked like. They either looked like elrond who choose to be and elf or like a man when they choose that heritage. It is rather explicit that they must choose wich race of their heritage they will be counted amoungst. That was my point. Tolkien didn't leave any room for there to be a half elf race. He covered what the mixing of the two races would result in. Either a half elf who would be counted as an elf or a human. Not much room for creativity there. Besides in all the history of middle earth there was only 3 unions of elf and man.

No the lore is not a religion but it is set in stone. They can't change what is known about half elves just cause they feel like it. They may want to but the license doesn't allow for them to do so.

imageimage

• wykkid79wykkid79 Member Posts: 131

We know what they looked like. They either looked like elrond who choose to be and elf or like a man when they choose that heritage. It is rather explicit that they must choose wich race of their heritage they will be counted amoungst. That was my point. Tolkien didn't leave any room for there to be a half elf race. He covered what the mixing of the two races would result in. Either a half elf who would be counted as an elf or a human. Not much room for creativity there. Besides in all the history of middle earth there was only 3 unions of elf and man.

No the lore is not a religion but it is set in stone. They can't change what is known about half elves just cause they feel like it. They may want to but the license doesn't allow for them to do so.

I also get the feeling a lot of the devs wouldn't want to deviate so far from lore even if the license allowed.  Many over at Turbine seem to take the lore very seriously, as can be seen in just the writing of quest text.

And we all know the announcement relates to Chair Mounts and nothing more.

• Katashi-kunKatashi-kun Member Posts: 517

The dwarves went and dug too far again!  They accidentally released the female dwarves upon the world!

Kemih ~ 13 Red Mage | Currently playing FFXI & LOTRO, awaiting Warhammer Online & Aion...

• 8hammer88hammer8 Member Posts: 1,812

Originally posted by Katashi-kun

The dwarves went and dug too far again!  They accidentally released the female dwarves upon the world!

Or even worst while creating Fangorn Forest for a future release, they found the fabled female ents.... imagine if you will tree-beard with breasteseses...

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

• TeimanTeiman Member Posts: 1,319

Another option of a "What if ..." could be a proper start for the gondor humans.

Imagine start with a gondor human... in Mines Tirith.

But we will need to wait for that.

Also starting as rohan, with a free horse, could be insteresting :D

Dunedain is another race you can't play, because on LOTRO dunedain rangers are like megasuperheros, but in a "What if.. " universe, playing as a dunedain could be fun.

So my bets for another races could be:

- Human Gondor in Mines Tirith, with Epic city to explore.

- Human Rohan  in Rohan, with free horse

- Human Dunedain somewhere in the north, with "I WIN" button.