Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Missiles/Rockets (do skills cross over?)

windstrike1windstrike1 Member Posts: 553

I'm new.  I want to focus on non-turret damage output.  But I'm confused as to the diffrence between rockets and missiles.  And the skills involved.  I don't want to train up skills that are not in my focus, for the sake of proper use of time. 

As a side question: I'm Caldari, can I fly other race ships?  Is there a disadvantage to doing so?  (I heard  Interceptor is good for PvP at low SP levels)

Comments

• LordmonkusLordmonkus Member Posts: 808

Standard missiles are long range rockets are short range. Both of these are meant to be the frigate sized weapons while heavy and heavy assault are the long and short range for cruisers, this leaves cruise missiles and torpedoes being the long and short range for battleships. Each of these specific missile skills do not affect the other missile types. (Im leaving friend or foe missiles out of this for now)

However skills such as Guilded Missiles Precision, Missile Bombardment, Missile Projection, Target Navigation Prediction and Warhead Upgrades do affect all missile types.

Yes you can fly other races ships, just go buy and train the skills for them, the only disadvantage would be time spent training those skills. There are no bonuses or penalties for flying specific racial ships.

Yes, interceptors are good ships to fly at lower SP levels. They generaly don't require too many SPs in the support  type of skills like the larger ships do and you will already have the weapons systems appropriate for for the ship size. If you like the missile based ships then start out in a Kestrel and work towards a Crow. Train up both your rocket and standard missile skills along with the missile support skills. If you want to get into a stealth bomber sometime then training up your cruise missile skills would be a good idea as well, these ships can be a lot of fun when used in a small group

• admiralnlsonadmiralnlson Member UncommonPosts: 240

Rockets basically are small missiles with high explosion velocity, which can be launched very frequently (every 4sec) but have a very small range (they fly for 2sec at 2500m/s)
    They require the "Rockets" skill.

Missiles are different and require other skills (there's a lot more of them). There are different types of missiles (light, cruiser, heavy, ...).
    Lets compare small missiles with rockets for you to get the idea:

A typical Rocket:
    Launched every ~4sec
    Damage : 25
    Max Velocity: 2250m/s
    Flight duration: 2 sec
    Explosion Velocity : 2000m/s
    Explosion Radius: 20m

A typical Light Missile:
    Launched every ~15sec
    Damage: 75
    Max Velocity: 3750m/s
    Flight duration: 5 sec
    Explosion Velocity : 1750m/s
    Explosion Radius: 50m

The main difference here is the frequency of launches and range. But all those differences kind of get bigger as you compare with other types of missiles (heavy, cruise, ...). You'll need to check items stats for more detail.

To understand the impact of every attribute, you might want to check out this missile guide on the official web site :
    http://www.eve-online.com/guide/en/g61_3.asp

As a side question: I'm Caldari, can I fly other race ships?
    Yup, you just need to learn the required skills. Check the bonuses of those ships though. Many ships give bonuses to a certain type of turrets or for missiles (kestrel, as mentioned above) for example.

---
    Waiting for: GW2
    *thumbs up*: GW, Eve(, WoW)
    *thumbs down*: MO, GA, FE

• GarkanGarkan Member Posts: 552

The missile "support" skills are,

Rapid fire (increases refire rate)

Missile bombardment (increases missile flight time)

Missile projection (increases missile flight speed)

Target Navigation prediction (reduces the effects the targets speed generates)

Guided missile precision (allows you to hit smaller targets better)

Warhead upgrades (increases the damage of each individual missile)

All these skills are very important and you need them to at least level 4 to start making the most out of your missile, Except for guided missile precision they affect all types of missile, guided missile precision does not affect rockets, heavy assault missiles and torpedoes as these are considered as "unguided"

Missile skills are beneficial to other races particularly the Minmatar as most of their ships also feature spilt weapons systems and many setups need missiles and you can carry your missile skills over to the T2 Amarr Khanid ships like the Malediction the Sacrilege and the Damnation, these ships are fairly awesome as they are armor tanking missile throwers.

Currently playing:

EVE online (Ruining low sec one hotdrop at a time)

Gravity Rush,
    Dishonoured: The Knife of Dunwall.

(Waiting for) Metro: Last Light,
    Company of Heroes II.

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

Just a small bit of advice:  Try to choose your path and stick to it until all the skills in that path are level 4.

Although that can be quite boring, it will get you "competitive" as quickly as possible.  Bearing this in mind, it is best to avoid cross-training in other race's ships until you at least have your foundation in your base race.  I'd also recommend that once you are sufficiently confident in your base race piloting abilities, you move on to support skills that can help you later for any race (electronics, engineering, mechanic skills, rigging, base gunnery and missile skills, etc).

Now, if you must try out other race ships (which is understandable), I recommend you pick something easy like getting to Battlecruiser 4 and then work the skills to fly the other race of your choosing.  Just don't mix and match.  Choose a specialty early on (interceptors, battlecruisers, battleships, recon ships, etc) and stick to it.  Example:  For frigates, you can make an assault frig, ecm frig, interceptor, and covert ops and you have all the general pvp bases covered.  You will be fragile, but quick, maneuverable, and hard to hit.

• dakilla666dakilla666 Member UncommonPosts: 306

Most of what was said is quite correct except on one note. Rockets are NOT missiles, they are rockets, as in, unguided warheads on a booster. This being said, rockets as well as their bigger brothers (torpedoes and citadel torpedoes) do not receive bonus to missile precision or explosion velocity from the sub-skills Target Navigation Prediction and Guided Missile Precision respectively.

Light missiles, heavy assault missiles, heavy missiles and cruise missiles (as well as their f.o.f. and T2 varieties) benefit from the aforementioned bonus however. This is why stasis webifiers and target painters are a better idea if you are looking to inflict maximum damage with a rocket based ship as no matter how high your skills, the target's velocity and signature radius will be the major factors in your direct damage.  For bombardment purposes, training all secondary skills to level 4 (shouldn't take much more than a month) will net you a significant damage and range increase with just about everything you can fit on a caldari ship.

As for the OP, all races of characters are free to fly ANY ship in the game as long as they have the skills to get into them and the isk to purchase them in the first place. As for interceptors, they are without a doubt, the most useful asset to a pvp squad when considering the amount of SP required to use them. This being said, if you're looking into flying the crow (very nice caldari ship), train to use standard missile launchers on it as they don't bolster much defense; you are going to want to keep some distance between you and your targets while keeping them disrupted.

Happy Hunting.

Dakilla[666] ~ The Realm ~ Level 1000 enchanter (retired)
    Maranthoric ~ La 4ieme Prophetie ~ Level 160 (5x) HE/Feu (de retour)
    Leonthoric[DDC] ~ EVE online ~ <Fire The "Laser"> (retired)

• LordmonkusLordmonkus Member Posts: 808

Thanks for the correction Killa. I don't fly many missile boats other than a stealth bomber so I have never paid that close of attention to the skills and their affect on each specific 'missile' type.

Either way though if someone is planning on flying missile boat type ships all those skills are very worth training.

• GarkanGarkan Member Posts: 552

Dakilla if you double check you will find that Target navigation prediction does affect Rockets, HAMs and Torpedoes, For a example the Caldari Navy Thorn Rockets unmodified explosion velocity  is 2000mps with Target nav prediction at level V the explosion velocity is 3000mps.

Guided missile precision is the only skill that does not apply.

Currently playing:

EVE online (Ruining low sec one hotdrop at a time)

Gravity Rush,
    Dishonoured: The Knife of Dunwall.

(Waiting for) Metro: Last Light,
    Company of Heroes II.

• dakilla666dakilla666 Member UncommonPosts: 306

Awesome, I haven't check out the stats on them is a little while, thanks for the update.

Dakilla[666] ~ The Realm ~ Level 1000 enchanter (retired)
    Maranthoric ~ La 4ieme Prophetie ~ Level 160 (5x) HE/Feu (de retour)
    Leonthoric[DDC] ~ EVE online ~ <Fire The "Laser"> (retired)