Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Zombie Apocalypse Pt II "the moral question"

TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Lets assume that a "Zombie Apocalypes" has indead happened. The civilized world is on the verge of collapse. Cities are death traps and people have taken to the country side.

Lets assume that three days have passed and you have managed to secure some basic survival equipment. You have a protective leather suit, gloves, one day of food left, a canteen of water, a flashlight, a roll of tape, a small toolkit with some small common tools, a military semi automatic rifle with only 20 rounds remaining, a 9mm pistol with 10 rounds, a (very) large knife and you have a bicycle.

You have been travelling alone now since this started and are now in a rural area. You have not seen another "living" person in three days just Zombies. You negected to find a radio to keep in touch with the outside world. You have no idea whats going on.

Near the end of the third day of travel, you spot a group of 4 other survivors (you think but are not sure but it looks like 2 men and 2 women) and a dog actually fighting hand to hand with a group of about 15 Zombies using assorted clubs and knives and they are paniced. They will be overwhelmed shortly.

You now must choose what your course of action will be.

• Call to them and tell them to run toward you then use your rifle on the pursuing Zombies. Your marksmanship skills may be an issue.
  • Fire on all of them, they  may have been infected, better not to take a chance
  • Conserve your ammo and engage the Zombies in hand to hand with your knife.
  • Try to fire into the melee and pick off a few Zombies risking hitting the other survivors, then engage them with your pistol / knife at close range if needed.
  • Sneak away quitely and leave them to their fate.

Things to keep in mind: You are in an unfamiliar area, they may have knowledge of the local surroundings and its going to be dark soon. You have not encountered any other people at all and they may know of a survivor fortification and have knowledge of the situation, they might have food and water, they have a dog who is obviously hostile and unaffraid of Zombies, 6 sets of eyes / ears are better then one. There are 15 zombies and your ammo is limited. Your leather suit may be able to withstand a bite but will be of little help if a group of Zombies actually gets hold of you as they will rip you to pieces. The other survivors do not appear to have any firearms. You can not tell if any of them are injured.

What do you do and why? Answer honestly, try to imagine the raw horror of this situation.

If any of my choices are unsuitable make up your own.

Comments

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

I would choose the option to try to fool the zombies to chase me and decide somewhere to meet them later on, then I would do my best to get rid of the zombies and go where we decided. Seems like the best option to me and the one I would make. To leave them wouldn't be an option at all I wouldn't really have much to live for except other survivors so sneaking away to save my own life wouldn't be moral or logical for me.

• AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,167

I would have to say if this is more than  60 yards I would use my rifle, pick off the zombies that seem rather able. (The ones with near full use of their body. See>:Runners).

After such, I'll try to build a union. Safety in number. Next stop? Somewhere with alot of guns. Police Station perhaps....

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

I think I'd pick the conserve my ammo answer.  Assuming that you came upon this scene without them aware of your presence the zombies will more then likely be unaware as well.  This would give you a decent shot at getting behind the zombies and at least strike down 2 of them before the rest realize what's going on.  This leaves you at 13 zombies, the odds are getting better already.  At this point I'd think I was somewhat proficient with the rather large knife since I've managed to survive to this point and have made it all that way on a bicycle.  Getting that far, I would more then likely have had to fight a fair number of zombies.  If at this point the zombies perceive me as a greater threat they will turn on me and give the 4 people a fighting chance where they can lay low 2 or 3 of them while I retreat backwards.  This brings the zombie tally to 10.  I'm liking this already.  At this point the 5 of us and the dog have a rather good chance of getting away or at least putting some distance between us and the zombies giving me the chance to at least ask the other 4 if any of them are any good with guns at which point if they were I'd give them the assault rifle and tell them to make every shot count, otherwise I'd just tell them to lead the way and get the hell out of there.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• Are the zombies slow moving shambling Night of the Living Dead zombies, or fast 'rage' zombies like in 28 Days Later?

• mithrandir72mithrandir72 Member Posts: 1,286

First off, where the hell is my cricket bat?

I'd pick 'em off with my rifle, check the survivors for wounds (If it seems to be spread by bite). However, I think this type of apocolypse would have to be airborne and only certain people have an immunity, as there would likely be many more Human survivors if it was transmissed by bite.

Assuming the Zombies could not spread the disease, I would definitely save them.  If I think they could have the disease, I'll kill the zombies first with my gun, because I'm just as likely to get infected.

Of course, if the only way to kill them is by taking off the head, we have a whole 'nother problem, and I'd probably run away, as I'd be just as screwed to the wall as the other survivors are.

And finally, assuming I got the survivors and all is well, I'd definitely go take a CostCo by force, and live there for the remainder of my days. CostCo would make a great fucking fortress, and you could live there for years with only a few people.

We barely remember who or what came before this precious moment;
    We are choosing to be here right now -Tool, Parabola

• ZikielZikiel Member Posts: 1,138

Depends, how dangerous are the zombies? If we're talking RE1 era shamblers, I'd drop them with my rifle, finish the remnants with various close combat moves. If we're talking some of the really crazy 28days or RE3 stuff, screw the survivors.

Assuming we're talking your basic zombie group, kill them from long range, finish in close, kill possible infectered, take control of survivor group, gain info from survivors, cut survivors loose to die.

If we're talking about Rage zombies or Lickers or some shit, wait for them to die, and then go in and pick up any gear they left behind.

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

The Zombies are "shamblers" slow (Although thats somewhat unpredictable) . The also spread the virus with biting. If you are bitten you will become Ill and over the course of 8-12 hours die and reanimate.

• I'd call them to me, conserving ammo to shoot at only zombies who have a hold on them or something. If the dog comes with them, cool, if not, it's expendible. I will not engage the zombies unless absolutely necessary, and instead direct my charges to flee with me. Shamblers will never be able to catch up. Once safe, examine all survivors (at gunpoint if need be) for bites. Take any survivors who are not bitten to the side, and explain to them what's going to happen. Anyone who refuses to mercy-kill the bitten, I leave behind with them and tell them good luck. If any of them show aggression to me, at gunpoint order them in the opposite direction with as much noise as possible, the better to draw zombies to them and cover my own escape. Any survivors willing to come with me, I explain the rules. We're here to survive, not make stupid mistakes. I don't tell them, but any who do extremely idiotic things I will abandon or shoot.

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

since they infect with bite and the party is fighting melee with them, Id have to think about myself and the chances of their survival.

conserve my ammo and leave them to their fate unfortunately.  It looks like I may have been too late

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Score so far

Mercy Kill all the survivors regardless - 0

Rescue them in some way - 7

Leave them to their fate - 1

Part III later................

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359

Originally posted by Torak

The Zombies are "shamblers" slow (Although thats somewhat unpredictable) . The also spread the virus with biting. If you are bitten you will become Ill and over the course of 8-12 hours die and reanimate.
    Can I eat the zombie flesh?

If not, then why waste the ammo?