Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A guess at Bioware's new MMOG

124»

Comments

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550

Originally posted by Eremos

Originally posted by pencilrick

Does it not occur to anyone that Star Wars is old and dated?  I cannot see anyone, but Lucas Arts, funding a MMORPG based upon Star Wars.
    Now fantasy MMORPG design...well, the opportunities are endless.  I am certain BIOWARE has the grey matter to consider a D&D Forgotten Realms campaign setting.

Is that sarcasm??  I think there are way too many fantasy-type MMO's already.  Star Wars may be old but it is still extremely popular.  Also, there is a new live action show in development that will spread it around a bit more.

There are lots of fantasy MMORPG's, but not one that just gets it right.  At least, not for the early UO/EQ crowd who wants a return to the "ol' magic" feeling of a world. 

Maybe if Blizzard did a Diablo 3 as a MMORPG, that would get most of us there.

• WickershamWickersham Member UncommonPosts: 2,379

They release the game Dragon age.

Then when it is out for some time put out Dragon Age online?

It would be brilliant marketing for them and would explain why they are so tight lipped about the MMO.  They would also pull a bunch of PC RPGers into the MMORPG market.

"The liberties and resulting economic prosperity that YOU take for granted were granted by those "dead guys"

• njmbergernjmberger Member Posts: 19

A few premises first:

BioWare did not make KotOR II, Obsidian did. Thus BioWare didn't not directly experience the LEC changes on KotOR II. BioWare was busy at the time with other products and recommended Obsidian for the job.

EA is making WAR (through EA Mythic), EA also bought BioWare and stated the upcoming MMO as one of the main reasons for the buyout.

EA does not own the IP for the upcoming BioWare - MMO

BioWare and LEC have released a statement that they are working on a project (this may or may not be the MMO).

Turbine has released D&D Online.

LEC has stated that the BioWare-LEC project is not connected to KotOR, though there were no mention of Star Wars in general, nor any mention of MMO.

There is new SW tv-series, and a movie comming out, and Lucasfilm is known for timing its releases.

What would be logical using these premises? Well, it seems unlogical that EA would release two traditional fantasy MMOs. Also Seeing the DDO, and no inhouse IP we can outrule NWN or BG.  What kind of IP can be strong enough to make EA invest over 800 mill $? As much as it is wishfull thinking, SW springs to mind. Though it is not KotOR, it seems logical that it is connected to some of the upcoming SW tv-series/movie.

Thus, my thoughts on this (although admitedly based partly on wishful thinking) is that it is based on the SW IP, and in some way connected to the upcoming tv-series. My wet dream would have been though a KotOR Online - alas, it seems this is not to be.

• EldorinEldorin Member Posts: 4

Originally posted by Eremos

Does it not occur to anyone that Star Wars is old and dated?  I cannot see anyone, but Lucas Arts, funding a MMORPG based upon Star Wars.
    Now fantasy MMORPG design...well, the opportunities are endless.  I am certain BIOWARE has the grey matter to consider a D&D Forgotten Realms campaign setting.

Is that sarcasm??  I think there are way too many fantasy-type MMO's already.  Star Wars may be old but it is still extremely popular.  Also, there is a new live action show in development that will spread it around a bit more.

There are lots of fantasy MMORPG's, but not one that just gets it right.  At least, not for the early UO/EQ crowd who wants a return to the "ol' magic" feeling of a world. 

Maybe if Blizzard did a Diablo 3 as a MMORPG, that would get most of us there.

The are 3 "settings"of  Worlds for Mmorpg,with such huge fan Clubs that they could easily have ppl from Athens to NY in waiting lines just to get a Beta Key..And two of them are already (tho i would love to see a new SW mmo ) "burned"..

StarWars

Lord of the rings

Faerun

And Imho,Faerun as a Fantasy "setting" can kick Lotrs,AoC,Warhammer,WoW and Diablo's @ss for fun..

For I Have Found True Life,
    In The Death Of Light..