Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why POBS will NEVER become a very successful game!

First, let me note that I LOVED Sit Meir's Pirates,which is the basis for this online game. However, there are a number of unfathomable decisions made in this game that will preclude it from becoming successful , and I will give you a hint: ....it has little to do with the gold spammers.

1. It is UNFATHOMABLE that FLS made this game primarily a PVP game.  Yes, there are proponents of PVP,but it only attracts a limited number of adherants compared to non PVP games. POBS should have allowed plahyers to either completely opt out of PvP altogether or have special servers where it exists.

Yes, I do understand that PVP flags can be turned off and players can sail around contested areas, but this is a BIG pain IN addition, players can be in a port where PVP suddenly occurs and get caught up in it.  Frankly, it should have been made a LOT more optional. Big port battles still could arise from raiding. There could be strong defenses by NPCs.

2. Too complex: There is a LOT of complexity int his game,which results in a substantial learning curve for beginners. Sadly, the tutorial is mediocre at best. This will turn off a LOT of beginners before then can get  involved with this game,which is a shame.

3. Missions are too damn tough: I was playing some beginner missions and got wiped by several ships at4 once. Missions, especially beginning missions, should  be easily doable. They shouldn't involve 3-6 ships shooting on me at the captain level!

4. Bording should have followed the Pirates game. Having all of these dumfire crews is stupid and franklly makes it harder to figure out who the enemy is. They should have had a duel with the camptain and maybe one other  for the captured ship , as they did in the game Pirates. Many reviews of POBS agree with this tool

Overrall, I like the game. However, this game will be doomed to serve a small niche market when it could have been HUGE.

Comments

• MasterWanMasterWan Member Posts: 37

I think you are forgetting one thing.  This game has been out for around a month.  Tell me one game that was solid at launch.  You can't.  Go play your own game and quit trying to deter people form playing one of the highest rated games on this site.

Furthermore you obvioulsy have not even played POTBS.  Most of what you are whining about is not correct.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

The parallels with EVE are remarkable, right down to the complaints about the game.  People said EVE would never make it, yet it is still here and going strong.  Perhaps PotBS will find the same level of success which should ensure its survival.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ed_angered_anger Member UncommonPosts: 60

it will definitely appeal to the same crowd that plays Eve, there's some PvE in the game but alot of the end game is PvP based.

if you are a traditional MMOer and expect completely avoidable PvP, then yes, you will be disappointed. personally, I love it ;)

• unherdninjaunherdninja Member Posts: 331
    Originally posted by taxguy

First, let me note that I LOVED Sit Meir's Pirates,which is the basis for this online game. However, there are a number of unfathomable decisions made in this game that will preclude it from becoming successful , and I will give you a hint: ....it has little to do with the gold spammers.

1. It is UNFATHOMABLE that FLS made this game primarily a PVP game.  Yes, there are proponents of PVP,but it only attracts a limited number of adherants compared to non PVP games. POBS should have allowed plahyers to either completely opt out of PvP altogether or have special servers where it exists. Just Because more people out there like PVE(I dought thats true) doesnt mean the game cant be successful. EVE online is PVP based and is doing great and is still growing.
    Yes, I do understand that PVP flags can be turned off and players can sail around contested areas, but this is a BIG pain IN addition, players can be in a port where PVP suddenly occurs and get caught up in it.  Frankly, it should have been made a LOT more optional. Big port battles still could arise from raiding. There could be strong defenses by NPCs. It's called random fun. You take it as a negitive but really pvp is more fun when you dont know whats going to happen.

2. Too complex: There is a LOT of complexity int his game,which results in a substantial learning curve for beginners. Sadly, the tutorial is mediocre at best. This will turn off a LOT of beginners before then can get  involved with this game,which is a shame. Well EVE is complex to and alot of people do get turned away from it but the one's who stay are more deticated gamer's and know what make a good game. I personaly dont want to play a game knowing exactly what Im doing. I like to learn constently or else i feel there's no need to keep playing.
    3. Missions are too damn tough: I was playing some beginner missions and got wiped by several ships at4 once. Missions, especially beginning missions, should  be easily doable. They shouldn't involve 3-6 ships shooting on me at the captain level! It's called a challenge. Why would you enjoy a game where you know you can easily beat everything.
    4. Bording should have followed the Pirates game. Having all of these dumfire crews is stupid and franklly makes it harder to figure out who the enemy is. They should have had a duel with the camptain and maybe one other  for the captured ship , as they did in the game Pirates. Many reviews of POBS agree with this tool
    Overrall, I like the game. However, this game will be doomed to serve a small niche market when it could have been HUGE. There's nothing wrong with a niche market and EVE used to be a niche game but has grown into something special so you never know.

• VincenzVincenz Member Posts: 1,498

Originally posted by MasterWan

Furthermore you obvioulsy have not even played POTBS.  Most of what you are whining about is not correct.

While I disagree that PotBS is equal to other launches over the last few years, because I don't.  I think they've put out a much weaker product and have a lot more ground to make up.

I do have to agree that pretty much all the OPs complaints seem to be about another game LOL!

• badpuppy1badpuppy1 Member Posts: 34

Originally posted by MasterWan

I think you are forgetting one thing.  This game has been out for around a month.  Tell me one game that was solid at launch.  You can't.  Go play your own game and quit trying to deter people form playing one of the highest rated games on this site.

Well I HAVE played potbs since the pre boarding.  I just quit this week because of  the "optional" PvP.  I have no gripe about PvP games, but this was sold much more as SWG than EVE, causing the unsuspecting buyer to think they could have a rewarding game expereince without having to PvP.  This is simply not true and smells of bait and switch.  I followed this game through development and was anxiously looking forward to release.  It simply was marketed to a wider audince than would enjoy playing it.  (can you say ethics?)

But they got my $75 (game, pre board and manual).  Then delivered a very different game. Shame on me form not reading their minds.

• graillgraill Member Posts: 257

i hate gold spammer too.

1. It is UNFATHOMABLE that FLS made this game primarily a PVP game.  Yes, there are proponents of PVP,but it only attracts a limited number of adherants compared to non PVP games. POBS should have allowed plahyers to either completely opt out of PvP altogether or have special servers where it exists.

multisyllable words on a gaming board...c'mon! opt out is an idea, submit it, maybe a dev will actually read it then discard it while sipping their latte'

Yes, I do understand that PVP flags can be turned off and players can sail around contested areas, but this is a BIG pain IN addition, players can be in a port where PVP suddenly occurs and get caught up in it.  Frankly, it should have been made a LOT more optional. Big port battles still could arise from raiding. There could be strong defenses by NPCs.

i agree npc's are weak, mission npc's are weak, and ai is very dumb.

2. Too complex: There is a LOT of complexity int his game,which results in a substantial learning curve for beginners. Sadly, the tutorial is mediocre at best. This will turn off a LOT of beginners before then can get  involved with this game,which is a shame.

too complex?!  there is a game out i have heard is made for simpler minds, its called maple story.

3. Missions are too damn tough: I was playing some beginner missions and got wiped by several ships at4 once. Missions, especially beginning missions, should  be easily doable. They shouldn't involve 3-6 ships shooting on me at the captain level!

to tough?, if your playing above your level and have no clue on ship setup or tactics or how to best utilize wind and maneuvering........but then we get into complex...right?

your input on boarding, and how it should have been done is noted, but then i missed you at the dev meetings.

Overrall, I like the game. However, this game will be doomed to serve a small niche market when it could have been HUGE.

i like the game too, now, lets go play.

as a side note, its been out for less time than say, oh eve, another "niche" game and already has more subs, go figure. and yes i went there.

can you smell that?!!...............there is nothing quite like it.....................the smell of troll in the morning............i love that smell.

• taxguytaxguy Member Posts: 60

Let me add two more reasons why POBS enrollment will be limited:

1. End game is ALL PVP. Yes, I haven't gotten to the end game. However, it seems that the only end game available is to participate in port raids. Thus,t he end game is all PVP. This is just plain wrong. There should have been other alternatives such as RVR raids etc.

2. It is NOT solo friendly: Like it or not, most MMORPG players want to be able to solo and solo alot IF they choose. This is NOT really a solo friendly game.

3. Chat communication: This may be a small thing ,but chatting is much more complicated and involves a lot more key strokes than a simple tell. Why they didn't use the chat system found in most MMORPG is also odd.

Some of you think that I am wrong since this game is only one month old and cite the success of EVE. We shall see who was right. If POBS doens't get a lot of folks staying and playing, you will know I was right. It is currently  Feb 2008. Never let it be said that I didn't call it.

• NetzokoNetzoko Member Posts: 1,271

Why do people keep talking about Sid's Pirates? It is NOT the basis for PotBS. It has nothing to do with this game, at all. The ship combat is even totally different. The only thing in common are the pirates. PotBS was never meant to be like Pirates, so why act like it is? There's 50 million games with elves and orcs, who cares. Also, gold spam? Every MMO has gold spam.

It was meant to be a PvP game, why is that bad? Maybe check out a carebear game where people can hug, be friends, hunt mindless game AI, and never fight each other.
     Once again. This is a PvP game.  Take it for what it is.

I'm sorry a moron cannot learn it? If you can't learn PotBS you shouldn't be playing video games in the first place. Read a book maybe.
    This game is very strategic and has somewhat "twitch" controls. I've never been sunk by an NPC. Maybe you arn't very good? The missions arn't hard, but if you're used to crap like WoW and EQ I understand how basic thought is unheard of.
    I think you mean how the crew fights in boarding? That's understandable, but realistically a crew won't sit there and watch the captain die. It isn't about honor, its about conquering the enemy. I could see a 1v1 system working as well, though.
    It wasn't meant to appeal to the larger crowd of mouth breathers like WoW was.

-------------------------

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

Originally posted by Netzoko

Why do people keep talking about Sid's Pirates? It is NOT the basis for PotBS. It has nothing to do with this game, at all. The ship combat is even totally different. The only thing in common are the pirates. PotBS was never meant to be like Pirates, so why act like it is? There's 50 million games with elves and orcs, who cares. Also, gold spam? Every MMO has gold spam.

Have you ever played Sid Meier's Pirates! ?

The travel map is just like Pirates!  The boarding combat also has similarities.

Sorry, but it is.

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

On your 2nd argument: the game being too complex and all. You were kidding on that one, right? That was a sarcastic argument?

If not........try out EvE, then come back and try making that argument again.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

I'm sure when the OP talks about difficult combat, that he is referring to that one "red" mission you can get at the starting city.  I never did this one but I heard it requires a group.   The OPs thoughts seem pretty consistent with what I experienced and read in numerous posts right here on these forums.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit