Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

is MMORPG.COM infected with a virus??

Comments

• LinuxxxLinuxxx Member Posts: 102

Originally posted by Admin

We will try to find out what is causing this.  I am not getting this but if people could post the following:
    1) Your browser
    2) Any ads that are on the page when you see this
    3) The software giving you the warning (your spyware/virus scanner, etc)
    4) The exact warning message
    This could never happen on our internal ads since we place the SWF or GIF/JPG directly on the page ourselves - but we do use 2 seperate outside netowrks.  While I would hope they would not do such a thing - if it is coming from an ad (which it may not be) it would be from one of these and we would need to shut it off and report it.

1. Firefox  2.0.0.12

2. Didn't read the ads that were showing, was reading aoc forum.  AoC>>General Discussion>>Which Class Will You Be

3. Eset smart security

4. Object name: h**p://xpantivirus.com/2008/download6/XPantivirus2008_v77011810.exe  <Don't click that

Reason: Probably a variant of Win32/Static application

• QazeQaze Member Posts: 247

Avast found nothing, although I never got it in the first place. Ad theory seems very credible - maybe my pop-up blocker is protecting me.

Qaze - Atheist, Nihilist, Sadist.
    WinRAR.rar
    Mudkip Video

image Xfire= Qaze3000 - Add me if you're not a total retard.

• BelsamethBelsameth Member Posts: 193

Indeed flacky add ware.

[url]http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2632[/url]

probably installs a few trojans as well if you're lucky. Doesn't seem to auto execute code tho, so if you didn't click the link you're most likely safe (From this one, at least :p )

• Skippy13Skippy13 Member Posts: 38

Had same happend to me

using ie 7 i think.

seemed to be a pop up. came up when i vistited this forum page...ironic i know.

not sure on the ads...

doing a panda scan right now to see if it finds anything.

Skipp

Help my buddies grow click on them!
    image image imageimage

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

We will try to find out what is causing this.  I am not getting this but if people could post the following:
    1) Your browser
    This could never happen on our internal ads since we place the SWF or GIF/JPG directly on the page ourselves - but we do use 2 seperate outside netowrks.  While I would hope they would not do such a thing - if it is coming from an ad (which it may not be) it would be from one of these and we would need to shut it off and report it.

1. Firefox 3.0B3

2. Not sure my antivirus software blocked the entire page and put up the message I posted.

3. I'm using Trend Micro Internet Security

4. I posted the exact message above. 

Looking at my logs I'm also seeing that my software is blocking neosurge.biz/adjs.php?n=(number).  This is being reported in the software as hacking proxy avoidance.  I didn't get any pop up on this one it was just blocked.  I'm also not sure this was comming from mmorpg as I didn't notice when it was happening and there are other web sites I might have visitied that gave it to me.

---
    Ethion

• TaeraTaera Community ManagerMember CommonPosts: 1,078

Has anyone gotten the popup two or more times?

Laura "Taera" Genender
    Community Manager
    MMORPG.com

• DraccanDraccan Member Posts: 1,050

Originally posted by Taera

Has anyone gotten the popup two or more times?
    I just had it and also did yesterday.

I am using VISTA and INTERNET EXPLORER and NORTON.

This time it went straigth through antivirus and firewall..

Not a very good advertisement for mmorpg.com honestly !!!!

• forinboyforinboy Member UncommonPosts: 89

Yes I got it here too, AV software caught it.  Using latest firefox. 

• MixieMixie Member Posts: 111

i just got it too, all my windows went down and a popup with the name http://xpantivirus.com/ come up.

Mee dont like

• VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309

I got the same message going to the AoC forums.

• CyberWizCyberWiz Member UncommonPosts: 914

Originally posted by Mixie
    i just got it too, all my windows went down and a popup with the name http://xpantivirus.com/ come up.
    Mee dont like

I got it too, I just "end tasked" it.

I am amazed with stuff like this, I doubt it is a virus, it is more a spyware application, and if endorsed by mmorpg.com, then I will leave mmorpg.com and never look back.

greetz

If you are interested in subscription or PCU numbers for MMORPG's, check out my site :
    http://mmodata.blogspot.be/
    Favorite MMORPG's : DAoC pre ToA-NF, SWG Pre CU-NGE, EVE Online

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    Originally posted by CyberWiz

if endorsed by mmorpg.com, then I will leave mmorpg.com and never look back.
    greetz

Uh, did you read the thread at all? MMORPG obviously doesn't endorse it... otherwise they wouldn't be asking people about which ad it was so THEY can report it to their adserver provider.

• AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623

Obvioiusly this is not something we would endorse.  However we do run some ad networks that serve ads into our site.  I am also confident that our ad providers did not willingly do this but it could be possible that they are compromised or something.

The problem we are having fighting this right now is we cannot reproduce it on our end.  We have checked all of our web servers and what we do know is that we were not "hacked" and pages were not altered. This leaves the following options:

1) The ad networks are sending in the pop up/  / malware

2) Users already have a spyware app on their system that is reacting to keywords/ads or something on our site.

We are probably going to shutoff the external ads fora  few hours and see if the reports stop coming into this thread...since we don't see it here this is our only option right now

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

• Crux-AegisCrux-Aegis Member Posts: 1

Add one more.

The pop up happened when I linked to one of the comics. I didnt take much notice of the message, just end tasked the window and moved on. Was running explorer 7 at the time.

• AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623

Ok, we have shut off all ads served from sources outside our network.  The only ads running are being delivered from MMORPG.com (we also kept the DoubleClick hosted ads since I am 99.9% sure they are not the source being they serve over half of the ads on the Internet)

Please report as much detail of any new findings!

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

• ShojuShoju Member UncommonPosts: 776

Originally posted by forinboy

Yes I got it here too, AV software caught it.  Using latest firefox. 

Thats strange, I use Firefox and I have not had it happen to me.  Do you have the ad/script blocker plugins enabled?

I would be inclined to think that it is something that is happening on the advertisers side of things as people over Allakhazam (which displays very similar, if not the same game related ads) have been getting the same popup.

• IstvanNDIstvanND Jumpgate Evolution DeveloperMember Posts: 42

Incident occurred for me at right about 1345 my time, ~10 min ago.

Using IE6, Win2k machine.  Popup dialog from XPAntivirus as per other reports.  I decided it was scareware immediately upon observation and delivered Alt-F4 to IE in case a malware trigger was on the faked dialog's "close" button.

I had been browsing Szark's GDC blog entry regarding Stargate at the moment the popup was delivered.

• Ulag_darquelUlag_darquel Member Posts: 13

Seems to be malware, xpantivirus or something it is called if it comes up close your browser completely hitting yes or cancel will more then likely try to install it or put more malware on, get Spybot update and destory ><.  This came up when i choose a recent post from the home page.

• nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490

I just got this. And I'm using firefox. It started scanning when I pressed cancel so hoping I've not got something, checking now.

• KilmarKilmar Member UncommonPosts: 844

Got it, too, and virus scanner showed a trojan

• dalevi1dalevi1 Member Posts: 829

1) Your browser

1. Firefox 2.0.0.12

2. Add URLs

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/Athelan/012008/1013_Welcome-to-the-first-Age-of-Conan-Developer-Blog-at-MMORPGcom

http://mmorpg.com/adServer/clickAd.cfm?goto=10,1847&9449=4274

Flash Adds from Gamer Advocate and Fiesta, I won't click them for the URL at this time.

3. This is the message from a popup Firefox window. My personal antivirus, antispy, did not jump because I did not click the window.

4. "ATTENTION! If your computer is infected, you could suffer data loss, erratic PC behavior, PC freezes, and creaches. (note: yes they spelled it "creaches")

Detect and remove viruses before they damage your computer!

XP antivirus software will perform a quick and 100% FREE scan of your computer for viruses, Spyware, and Adware.

Do you want to install XP antivirus to scan your computer for malware now? (Recommended)"

5. I really like you guys, please fix this since it has me 1.2 seconds from moving back to linux (yep, no mmo dice =).

EDIT: Just to note, this happened at 6:05 EST. I am not sure if that predates your fix.

Played (more than a month): SWG, Second Life, Tabula Rasa, Lineage 2, Everquest 2, EvE, MxO, Ryzom.

Tried: WoW, Shadowbane, Anarchy Online, Everquest, WWII Online, Planetside

Beta: Lotro, Tabula Rasa, WAR.

• nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490

If you get the virus, look at here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic111715.html

• BuzWeaverBuzWeaver Member UncommonPosts: 978

Originally posted by Unicorns_Pwn
    Had the same thing happen to me this morning around 7:30 reading posts before I went to work.

It happened to me early this morning. It wanted run some XP Cleaner if I recall. I just closed it out and ran my Ad-Aware.

The Old Timers Guild
    Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!

www.oldtimersguild.com
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it. - Jef Mallett

• toadkillertoadkiller Member Posts: 148

Happened just now to me for second time today - on two different Mac's - Macbook pro at office and Imac at home - both running Leopard and this was with the Camino browser

Get that same popup redirecting to a site trying to tell me to install antivirus for XP -

Of course nothing happens to the Mac's but the popup and redirection is annoying -

Just though would note to you all this happens on the OS X platform also using Camino so its definitely not confined to only XP/Vista , the popup and redirection that is

• BuzWeaverBuzWeaver Member UncommonPosts: 978

Originally posted by toadkiller
    Happened just now to me for second time today - on two different Mac's - Macbook pro at office and Imac at home - both running Leopard and this was with the Camino browser

Get that same popup redirecting to a site trying to tell me to install antivirus for XP -
    Of course nothing happens to the Mac's but the popup and redirection is annoying -
    Just though would note to you all this happens on the OS X platform also using Camino so its definitely not confined to only XP/Vista , the popup and redirection that is

I you using FireFox 2.0.0.12 on your Mac's? I've not had this problem on my Mac, just the PC.

The Old Timers Guild
    Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!

www.oldtimersguild.com
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it. - Jef Mallett