Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

is MMORPG.COM infected with a virus??

ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

I was just going into the AOC forums and my virus scanner poped up the following page.

Trend Micro Internet Security has identified this Web page as undesirable.

Address: http://xpantivirus.com/2008/1/freescan.php?aid=77011810
Credibility: Unsafe

If you still want to see this blocked page:
  1. Click the Windows Start button and launch Trend Micro Internet Security from the list under All Programs.

2. Click Internet & Email Controls.

3. Click the Settings... button under Parental Controls or Protection Against Web Threats.

4. Click the List of Approved Web Sites link in the next window that opens.

5. Copy and paste the address of the blocked Web site into the list.

---
Ethion

Comments

• QazeQaze Member Posts: 247

What has that got to do with MMORPG.com? Methinks you assume way too much.

Qaze - Atheist, Nihilist, Sadist.
    WinRAR.rar
    Mudkip Video

image Xfire= Qaze3000 - Add me if you're not a total retard.

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

Mine just did the same thing.

• OmrieOmrie Member UncommonPosts: 116

Actually.. I think he might be right.. because the same thing happend to me the other day at the AoC forums.

• korvasskorvass Member Posts: 616

Not to start rumours, but I also got a similar warning about the xpantivirus thing whilst viewing this site this afternoon. MMORPG.com has in the past, like many other websites, been the victim of viral attacks.

But yes, this might all be completely circumstantial.

• Amon_AmarthAmon_Amarth Member Posts: 219

Yeah I got the same thing about half an hour ago... : /

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Originally posted by Qaze

What has that got to do with MMORPG.com? Methinks you assume way too much.
    While the OP could assume way to much.

You are honestly trying to say this has never happened at this site before?  Or multiple times...

They've been good at getting things "fixed" fairly fast in the past.  When this has happened.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010

Myself as well.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • QazeQaze Member Posts: 247

Well it hasn't happened to me, but I guess I'll run a virus scan just in case.

Qaze - Atheist, Nihilist, Sadist.
    WinRAR.rar
    Mudkip Video

image Xfire= Qaze3000 - Add me if you're not a total retard.

• norvaknorvak Member UncommonPosts: 53

I had the same t hing happen to me while on mmorpg this morning. Did a scan and found nothing.

• HousamHousam Member Posts: 1,460

same here....avg dealt with it though :)

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I got a pop up for xpantivirus this morning as well while on mmorpg.com's forums.  The popup claimed I was infected with viruses and then asking me to install a program.

I was suspicious so I googled it and it looks like some kind of spyware or something. 

Definitely this is something that should be looked in to.

• Oversoul87Oversoul87 Member Posts: 123
    My programs hadn't caught anything, nor do I have logs of any .exes starting abnormally. But does this have something to do with a pop up asking about wanting to do a free virus scan. Maybe coincidence, because when i launch my browser in the morning it brings up all the sites I like to check(about 4 forums, 3 news sites, plus email, and some other odds and ends like weather). One of the sites launched is mmorpg.com. At that I time I had one of those pop ups. Its very rare for me, because most everyblock up is caught on my pc, and I havent seen the other sites have that kind of pop up before(The sites that are on my startup list anyway)
  • ShojuShoju Member UncommonPosts: 776

Its most probably scareware inbedded in the ads.  The pop ups usually tell you that you are infected and need to download some spyware riddled psuedo-antivirus program.  This particular one has been popping up at a few gaming sites lately, and is not limited to mmorpg.com.

• TacoKickerTacoKicker Member Posts: 5

MMORPG.com admins:  You need to drop whatever ad is serving up the "xpantivirus" ScareWare.  It's pretty ridiculous that this type of crap is popping up while users are trying to view your site.

Currently playing Star Wars: The Old Republic and Ultima Online: The Second Age

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293

aww but I have to ask, can something that sounds so close to "Panty" be all that bad?

• coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007

just say it just happened to me when going onto the wow forums. must be embedded in an ad.

• haddock1haddock1 Member Posts: 37

yepp, happend to me to on this site.

• TaeraTaera Community ManagerMember CommonPosts: 1,078

*shines the letter "A" into the sky*

I've poked Admin and should have an answer for you guys soon :)

Laura "Taera" Genender
    Community Manager
    MMORPG.com

• downtoearthdowntoearth Member Posts: 3,558

i got that this morning to i just force closed ie so nothing bad happen

• Unicorns_PwnUnicorns_Pwn Member Posts: 427

Had the same thing happen to me this morning around 7:30 reading posts before I went to work.

• SalvatorisSalvatoris Member Posts: 1,360

Originally posted by Terranah

I got a pop up for xpantivirus this morning as well while on mmorpg.com's forums.  The popup claimed I was infected with viruses and then asking me to install a program.

I was suspicious so I googled it and it looks like some kind of spyware or something. 

Definitely this is something that should be looked in to.

Just got the same thing while trying to look at the news about Vanguard update 4.

• AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623

We will try to find out what is causing this.  I am not getting this but if people could post the following:

1) Your browser

2) Any ads that are on the page when you see this

3) The software giving you the warning (your spyware/virus scanner, etc)

4) The exact warning message

This could never happen on our internal ads since we place the SWF or GIF/JPG directly on the page ourselves - but we do use 2 seperate outside netowrks.  While I would hope they would not do such a thing - if it is coming from an ad (which it may not be) it would be from one of these and we would need to shut it off and report it.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

• TacoKickerTacoKicker Member Posts: 5

1) Your browser 

Firefox (version 2.0.0.12 )

2) Any ads that are on the page when you see this
    Couldn't tell you that, as once the scareware windows popped up and NOD32 started blocking and warning, I killed the MMORPG page in a flash.  However, I can tell you that the scareware came from the "Game List" page.

3) The software giving you the warning (your spyware/virus scanner, etc)
    NOD32 (version 2.7)

4) The exact warning message

Didn't write it down, but it popped up a "warning" message about virus infection; popped up a window with the xpantivirus.com website; and popped up a window with an executable from the following path (copied rom NOD32's "Threat Log"):  http://xpantivirus.com/2008/download6/XPantivirus2008_v77011810.exe

Currently playing Star Wars: The Old Republic and Ultima Online: The Second Age

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

XP Anti-virus looks like a phishing ad.  Its comes up with a popup that says your computer is infected, but its merely a jpg image.  My anti-virus caught it trying to install something on my computer.  I am using IE 7 and it forwarded me to thier page, shrunk all my windows to the bottom left corner of my screen, and had its pop-up come up.  Clicking anywhere on thier popup automatically forwards you to thier site that auto-attempts to install something onto your computer.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by CleffyII

XP Anti-virus looks like a phishing ad.  Its comes up with a popup that says your computer is infected, but its merely a jpg image.  My anti-virus caught it trying to install something on my computer.  I am using IE 7 and it forwarded me to thier page, shrunk all my windows to the bottom left corner of my screen, and had its pop-up come up.  Clicking anywhere on thier popup automatically forwards you to thier site that auto-attempts to install something onto your computer.

yep, same here. Except I'm using Flock, so it didn't get to their site. But it did pop up the XP Anti-Virus balloon. Soon as it did that, I went to task manager and shut down the browser manually ( to avoid clicking anything ) then ran virus and spyware checks. Came up on the virus scan, so just deleted it.