Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Restarting acct and have some questions

brindybrindy Member UncommonPosts: 8

I quit DAoC right after ToA came out, restarted my acct a few days ago, playing on classic. I used to play healing classes, played with a bunch of friends that switched from eq to daoc when it came out. Now I find myself coming back alone as most of them are playing WoW or EQ2 while waiting for WAR.

I was really hoping to start up a bard but I don't remember them being able to solo well at all, so I was wondering if any of the healing classes (preferable Mid or Hib) are really viable for solo lvling?

Also does anyone know of other active daoc forums?

Brindy

Comments

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

Hello,

In all my years of playing DAoC the majority of healers were not really good at soloing unless you specialize in the damage line.  This means that you would be less effective as a healer and make a mediocre fighter at best.  I know mid Shaman had the Cave Magic spec line that made them pretty fun to play as offense since they got dots, aoe dots, a bolt and a DD.  Mid healers on the other hand could solo but it would be very slow and not very efficient.  You would have no damage spells and would entirely depend on the damage from your weapon and the buffs you'd buff yourself with.  Not really worth the effort IMO.

Hib healer classes, as well as Alb ones are pretty much in a similar boat.  You'd have to spec in their respective damage lines which would more or less kill your ability to properly heal others.  You could get by with healing yourself once in a while but don't count on any long term healing support like you would if you were specialized for it.

I've heard of only 1 time where a guy made a battle bard but it never went anywhere.  He only made it because he was bored and wanted to see what it was like.

If you want a more active DAoC forum I suggest you try the VN boards.  There is a board for every server as well as every cluster.  I'm sure you'd find more people there that post more actively then they do here.

Good luck.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• Ramones274Ramones274 Member Posts: 366

Friar on Albion.

It's a hybrid monk/healing type class and can solo VERY well.

Good luck.

There are two kinds of people in this world. People who pick their nose.. and liars.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Most active DAoC forums I know of are at...

http://camelotvault.ign.com/

I'm not really sure about Hib/Mid healing classes that are going to solo well.

There are a lot of Nature druids that run around .. well a lot relative to the current subscriber size that is.

It might be hard to find groups with that spec.  Tho I've seen a few groups that run as all druids or with a druid/warden mix in recent times.

On mid side I really don't know that I've seen that much.

Albion friars can solo well but.. last I was playing.. Rejuv Heretics were the big fotm.

• pust082pust082 Member Posts: 157

Yep...

The Friar is great solo.. if you can stand playing it.

I couldnt. Then again... i just couldnt stand playing a dirty Alb.

• Ramones274Ramones274 Member Posts: 366
    Originally posted by pust082

Yep...
    The Friar is great solo.. if you can stand playing it.
    I couldnt. Then again... i just couldnt stand playing a dirty Alb.

I spit at thee! You member of Hibgard you!

There are two kinds of people in this world. People who pick their nose.. and liars.

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

Hibgard is the only realm worth playing!

Those pompous dirty albs all think they're better then one another.  I'm surprised they ever get anything done let alone walk in a straight line!

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550

I'm going back, and this time to Hibernia.  The starter realms were always good in this game.

Elf Ranger-to-be

• DeadzoDeadzo Member Posts: 29

When I played from original launch to canceling my account, I soloed the heck out of the Druid class on Hybernia.  This was before any xp / leveling assistance.  It was brutal, but less brutal than Everquest soloing (but what isn't?). 

I remember the spec line of making my pet really really big & tough, dotting, and healing after combat.  Wasn't horrible, just retardedly slow.

Any improvements to soloing in these dusty, old, archaic, dying versions of MMORPG's is going to be welcome.

• davidabdavidab Member Posts: 10

Haven't played for a while but I activated my account for a month recently to see how the game went.  On Mid, it seemed like there were Valkeries everywhere.  Apparently they are a very strong class, and they do heal, though I'm not sure how strong their healing is.

• davidabdavidab Member Posts: 10

As far as the forums I believe these are still the most active general forums:

vnboards.ign.com/camelot_main_boards/c5033

And for community server boards go here:

vnboards.ign.com/camelot_us_server_boards/c14945

Hope that helps.

• solvingminesolvingmine Member Posts: 2

You'd have to spec in their respective damage lines which would more or less kill your ability to properly heal others. so  please be careful when you are playing this game.