Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Luneth's guide to money making!

LunethLuneth Member Posts: 63

Luneth's guide to money making!

Have you ever wondered how you could make enough money to buy a full set of Rune, or how you could possible save up enough to buy a Party Hat? There are numerous ways that you can make money in RuneScape, and this guide explains several of the most profitable ways to earn cash in RuneScape. You can also find strategies for increasing your levels efficiently so that you can follow the guide.

Money-Making Index
  • Thieving
  • High-Alchemizing
  • Mining
  • Smithing
  • Merchanting
  • Dragon & Giant Slaying
  • Fishing & RuneCrafting

Hint: Use CTRL+F to search.

Thieving

Thieving is a very useful Members-Only skill that can be used to make quick cash as you get higher in levels. To make big cash you will need at least 50 Thieving, so if you arent a high enough level, follow these steps to increase your level:

• From level 1-10, pickpocket Men in Edgeville 145 times.
  • From level 10-30, steal cakes from the Baker Stall in Ardougne 764 times.
  • From level 30-50, pickpocket Al Kharid Warriors 3,384 times.

Now that youre level 50 thieving, you should be able to easily pickpocket guards to get some good amounts of gp.

• From level 50-70, pickpocket guards 13,684 times to steal 410,500gp.
  • From 70-80, pickpocket watchmen to thieve another 364,520gp and 9,113 bread.
  • At level 80, it should be easier to pickpocket Paladins to make 100,000gp an hour. Just be sure to bring lots of food with you.

High Alchemizing

In order to use the High Alchemy magic spell, you need at least 55 Magic. Firstly, decide what you think may be the quickest for you to make. If you have a high enough Mining and Smithing level, you can smith Steel Platemail. Someone who has a high Fletching level can make Yew or Magic bows.

Commonly High-Alched Items
Item High Alchemy Price
Magic Longbow 1,536gp
Steel Platemail 1,200gp
Magic Shortbow 960gp
Yew Longbow 768gp
Yew Shortbow 480gp

Smithing Levels

1. Buy Coal for 153-171gp each.
  2. Mine half as much iron as you have Coal.
  3. Smelt the ores into Steel bars and Smith the bars into Steel Platemail.
  4. Buy or use your RuneCrafting skill to get a huge amount of Nature Runes.
  5. Use High Alchemy on the Platemail for money, and repeat the above steps for more Smithing levels.

Making Money With Fletching

1. Pick flax in the Gnome Stronghold and spin them on a Spinning Wheel to make bowstrings.
  2. Fletch the best bow that you can and string the bow.
  3. Use High Alchemy on the bows, and then buy more bowstrings with the money.
  4. Fletch more bows to earn even more money.

Mining

Mining is one of the most vital skills in RuneScape. Everyone should have at least 40 Mining, so heres how you can level up if you arent already level 40. You may also want to bank the ores later.

• From level 1-20 mine Copper from the South Varrock mine.
  • From level 20-40 mine Iron from the mine near Rimmington or Varrock.

Now that you have a Mining level of 40, it should be easier to mine Coal. Even though you only need 30 Mining for Coal, it would be much more difficult to mine it at that level. You should also buy either an Adamantite or Rune pick.

For Members, a great place to mine coal is at the mine near Ardougne, and a bank is nearby. Free-Players can mine in the Dwarven mines, but there isnt a bank very close to you.

• Now mine 4,731 coal and sell for around 100-150gp each, or keep them for Smithing.
  • You should be at level 60 Mining, which means that you can go inside the Miners Guild.
  • Mine 59,598 coal and sell for around 100-150gp each, or keep them for Smithing.
  • Now that you're level 85 Mining, you can mine Rune in the Wilderness, or from the Heroes Guild. Each ore sells for around 10,000-15,000gp!

Smithing

Some time ago, Smithing was voted the most popular non-combat skill in the official RuneScape Polls. It can be a long, hard and tedious skill at times, but it gives the greatest rewards. In the early days of RuneScape, you could sell a Rune 2-Hander for 1 million gp!

You need to be at least level 48 Smithing to be a good Smither. You can buy your own ores if you have the money, or you could mine the ores yourself. Unless you have a Ring of Forging, don't smith iron!

• From level 1-15, smith 131 Bronze bars.
  • From level 15-30, smith either 592 Bronze bars or 293 Iron bars.
  • From level 30-48, smith 1,858 Iron bars or 1,267 Steel bars.

Now that you've got ten to level 48 Smithing, you can incorporate this method of earning money with method 2 - High Alchemy.

Earning Money From Steel

1. Get 2,000 Coal and 1,000 Iron.
  2. Smelt them into Steel, and then Smith them into Steel Platemail.
  3. Use your High Alchemy spell on the plates for 1,200gp each, or sell to Horvik in Varrock for no less than 980gp.
  4. You can make anywhere from 196,000-240,000gp this way!

Mithril at Level 68

1. Get 4,000 Coal and 1,000 Mithril.
  2. Smelt the ores into bars, and then smith them into Mithril Platemail.
  3. Use your High Alchemy spell on the plates to make 3,112gp each.
  4. After High-Alching the plates, you've made 622,400gp!

Steel appears to be better since you can make more money with fewer coal, and iron is much easier to get than Mithril. At level 99, go for the big kill...

Merchanting

Merchanting is making money from the market by buying and selling things such as armor, weapons and food. With merchanting, you don't raise any skills. However, you get a deep insight into RuneScape and how the economy works, and you could probably control it once you master it!

The rule of using Merchanting to gain a profit is: Buy low, sell high. You need to have at least a 500,000gp investment to make a big profit. To do this, take a look at one of the other methods mentioned in this guide. Once you have a good-sized investment:

• Look for items that are high in demand.
  • Buy it for the lowest price possible.
  • Now wait for the peak hours, which are around 4-6pm GMT on weekdays.
  • Sell the item for the highest price you can.

Merchanting Tips

1. When you're buying things, try and haggle down the price.
  2. Try offering things like Runes or food when trying to buy or sell.
  3. Don't be desperate when trying to buy or sell. Show the buyer or seller that you can just walk away if your price is not met.
  4. Offer freebies like herbs or Runes.
  5. Don't talk too much, just cut to the point.
  6. Be friendly but formal at the same time.

By following these tips, your customer will respect you and want to do business with you.

Dragon & Giant Slaying

There are several monsters that are quite worthwhile to kill. This method doesn't explain how to kill monsters, but it offers a short bestiary which you can choose a kind of monster to kill.

You Should Also Have...

Stats: At least 70 Attack, Defense and Hits. Also, you should have around 80 Strength, 60-80 Magic and 50 Prayer.

Bring: Lots of good food such as Bass or Shark, a Ring of Wealth, Prayer Potions, and Anti-DragonBreath Shield, and a back-up friend.

BESTIARY
Monster Where to Find Loot

Blue Dragon (111)  (Medium)

Taverley Dungeon, heroes guild. Dragon Bones, Rune Items, Runes, Mithril Items
Fire Giant(86) (medium) Waterfall, brimhaven dungeon Dragon Helmet, Rune Items, Runes, Half Key.
Black Dragon (227) (hard) Taverley Dungeon Dragon Bones, Coins, Runes, Rune Items, Dragon Helmet & Spear
King Black Dragon (276) (insane) Near the Lava Maze Dragon Bones, Coins, Runes, Rune Items, Dragon Helmet & Spear

Fishing & RuneCrafting

Fishing is a very useful skill, not only to make money, but for yourself to use. It can also help you with the above method, Dragon & Giant Slaying. You need a minimum of 50 Fishing until you can start making a big profit from this method.

• From level 1-20, fish 447 Shrimps from Al Kharid.
  • From level 20-50, fish 1,938 Trout from the Barbarian Village or Shilo Village.
  • From level 50-80, fish 20,942 Lobsters from Catherby or the Fishing Guild.

Lobsters sell for around 187-207gp each. At level 80, fish for Sharks and sell them for about 890-984gp each.

RuneCrafting is a great skill to gain money from selling your Runes, but you need at least level 35.

• From level 1-35, make Air Runes using 4,482 Rune Essence.
  • From level 35-44, make Chaos Runes using 3,911 Rune Essence.

Of course, you can sell Chaos Runes for 95-105gp each, but you should save these to level your Magic up. Remember, at level 44 you can make Nature Runes which can be sold for 275-305gp each!

Making Nature Runes Quickly

1. Put all of your Rune Essence into bank notes.
  2. Take 4 times the amount of gp as you have Essence.
  3. Run to the Shop near the village.
  4. Sell your notes to the shop and buy them back so that they're in real form.
  5. Craft Nature Runes in the alter.
  6. Run back to the shop and repeat .

Hope you enjoyed, feedback would really help me!!!

Prices are taken from the grand exchange at the date 24 of february 2008.

Comments

• RajaiRajai Member UncommonPosts: 331

Wow, and for free too 8)

Trump 2016

• mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396

Thieving - If I had absolutely no personal life I would be able to use this skill to make cash -,-

High Alching  - Your forgetting that usually people who do this need money to start out with first.  By the way, with high alching bows, it's really a waste of c time (if your goal is to make money)  if you fletch the bows.  You actually would lose money, not to include the fact you need to buy nature runes.

Mining - EXTREMELY SLOW, especially if you are lower levels than the others.    Coal is a little fast after a while, but it is still a less recommended skillt o make money off of. 

Smithing - You really don't make any cash of this skill, unless you want to do all the work.  After buying all that coal and iron and smithing it, then I would make steel plates.  Even if they are high alched, it's not that profitable (and you lose cash if you buy the nature runes)

Merchanting - EXTREMELY RISKY.  If you plan on actually doing this, than you better have a lot of cash under your belt.

Dragon and Giant Slaying -

Monster Where to Find Loot

Blue Dragon (111)  (Medium)

Taverley Dungeon, heroes guild. Dragon Bones, Rune Items, Runes, Mithril Items
    Fire Giant(86) (medium) Waterfall, brimhaven dungeon Dragon Helmet, Rune Items, Runes, Half Key.
    Black Dragon (227) (hard) Taverley Dungeon Dragon Bones, Coins, Runes, Rune Items, Dragon Helmet & Spear
    King Black Dragon (276) (insane) Near the Lava Maze Dragon Bones, Coins, Runes, Rune Items, Dragon Helmet & Spear

Please tel me your not serious. You make it sound like these drops happen often!  You are extremely lucky to get more than half of these items on the list.  Like the fire giant.  It takes extremely long to get a dragon med, but you make it sound like it happens often.                                     I would wrather go to runehq for this stuff, because they say the probability of actually getting one of these drops. 

Fishing - I agree, this is easily one of the best ways for f2p to make money, although you have to be very patient while fishing lobsters.  Even more patient more swordfish, then super patient for sharks. 

RuneCrafting - Prettty good cash.  Can take a lot longer becuase of the update though.

In the end, your guide posted ways for people to make money, but most of these ways were slow.

I would give your guide - 4/10. 

A lot of your guide are for people with a lot of time on their hands (like theiving, smithing, or mining runite)

By the way - You forgot woodcutting lmao.

• Matt269Matt269 Member Posts: 124

Woodcutting is one fo the best ways to make money. Yews and Magics are where the money is at.

There's also mining pure essence and slayer.

• devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359

This is not a good money making guide. It lists some of the slowest means to making money on the game.  I do not see god wars dungeons, mithryl dragons, dark beasts  or abyssal demons listed  and they are the best $ in the game. It does not list crafting and alching hides, which is an easier way to alch for $. It does not include mage training arena and selling mages books for better $ than alching alone. It does not  include runecrafting natures or laws and they are better $ than most things that are listed.  clue scrolls are still way better than most everything else listed. A f2p guide is pretty simple. sell ores or steel bars in grand exchange.  Chop yews and sell them in grand exchange. other than that everything else is slow.