Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what are the chances that LucasArts will extend the SW license with SOE ?

well since turbines got a license extend for the lord of the rings license since 2014 caused by the huge success of lord of the rings online, Im askin myself when the StarWars license runs out on SOE and how high the chances are that SOE gets a license extend by LucasArts ?

especially since we all know that bioware and LA signed a contract...

"You must be either retarded or a fanboi..."

Comments

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323
    Originally posted by TheChronic

well since turbines got a license extend for the lord of the rings license since 2014 caused by the huge success of lord of the rings online, Im askin myself when the StarWars license runs out on SOE and how high the chances are that SOE gets a license extend by LucasArts ?

I dont think you can really make a guess at this one. Since this is one of the most recognized IP's in the world and it is doing pretty poorly one would assume that LA would pull the IP from SOE as soon as possible but who knows? There is always crap going on behind the scenes that none of us know. They may extend the license until another SW MMO is ready to launch (if there are even plans for another one) or they may just say to hell with the MMO market and let SOE keep it until there is no money to be made at all. You just dont know.

• Pjay2kPjay2k Member CommonPosts: 260

Originally posted by TheChronic

great question!

it leads me to the following questions:

1. how long is the timeline or the time period for a star wars license you can get by lucas arts

2. what are the requirements for keeping a star wars license

3. how does lucas arts handle it ?

anyone knows more detailed information? Im really curious...

to the op:

maybe someone can call lucas arts and ask them... you could say that you need those data for a project or something, they might give you the information...

SOE and NGE-Star Wars Galalaxies:
    Raph Koster: "It's like dumping the girlfriend who has always been patient and loving to chase after the supermodel who probably won't love you back."

• AthelaAthela Member Posts: 492

Turbine has respected the IP they have a license to and has created a great Middle Earth game world.

SOE has dragged the Star Wars name and all of its characters and players through unimaginable dirt.   Likely Lucasarts won't give up their baby to someone else again, and they shouldn't, for all our sakes.

• The_Elder_CLOWNThe_Elder_CLOWN Member Posts: 57

There is a 0% chance LA will extend the SW license with SOE. 2008 is the last year of this charade.

M M O S S I N C E |1998|
    P L A Y I N G F A L L E N E A R T H
    T I M E I N V E S T E D |uo|swg|wow|fe|
    B E T A T E S T E R |rz|tr|hgl|potbs|potc|gw|hz|wish|fe|wow|df|war|allods|cog|lu|
    w w w . c l o w n g u i l d . o r g

• TheChronicTheChronic Member Posts: 253

Originally posted by fogelklou

There is a 0% chance LA will extend the SW license with SOE. 2008 is the last year of this charade.

how do you know ? its hard to say for how many years SOE had/ has a license contract with LucasArts

"You must be either retarded or a fanboi..."

• There is no sane reason to do so.  But given that LEC is as poorly managed as SOE, they will probably give them a lifetime license.

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086

I believe that LA/LEC has granted $OE a very restricitve, licensed use of the Star Wars IP which will allow SWG to remain on life support indefinitely (Station Pass fodder)......until it is in LA/LEC's best interest to pull the plug (if ever).

• jaxscorpio34jaxscorpio34 Member Posts: 204

I believe LA will allow this game to continue as long as SOE can pay the license fees. 

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Which were supposedly heavily reduced last year in order to keep SWG running in the first place. LA has some interest beyond money in keeping SWG running right now, what that is, who knows. $OE is in it to wring a few more $$$ out of the playerbase and to train their new devs to work on the new, upcoming games that they hope will make money.

• I think the writing is on the wall that the LONGEST the NGE can possibly live will be to the launch of the new movie and TV series which will almost certainly be accompanied by a new MMO to exploit it.

Which is, what, at MOST a year?

I believe that keeping SOMETHING up to hold onto some initial player base for the new game based on the new series is the ONLY thing keeping this turd open at this point.  There clearly isn't a financial reason to do so.

About all SOE is getting out of it at this point is using it as  a "kobayashi maru" trainer for noob Devs.

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803

Originally posted by salvaje

There is no sane reason to do so.  But given that LEC is as poorly managed as SOE, they will probably give them a lifetime license.

As long as the $$$ flows, LEC has demonstrated, again and again, that they don't care how bad their games are.

They slap "Star Wars" on a barrel of rancor poodoo and it sells.  There are enough idiot consumers out there that buy anything with "Star Wars" on it that from a purely Ferengi point of view LEC has nothing to worry about.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• airborne519airborne519 Member Posts: 542

Remember this is owned by Sony, they can afford to support crap games and still make a profit.. They can convince LA to keep them.

• xPaladinxPaladin Member UncommonPosts: 741

Originally posted by SioBabble

Originally posted by salvaje

There is no sane reason to do so.  But given that LEC is as poorly managed as SOE, they will probably give them a lifetime license.

As long as the $$$ flows, LEC has demonstrated, again and again, that they don't care how bad their games are.

They slap "Star Wars" on a barrel of rancor poodoo and it sells.  There are enough idiot consumers out there that buy anything with "Star Wars" on it that from a purely Ferengi point of view LEC has nothing to worry about.

That's likely changing since Lucas' empire has no future films to milk. It's all merchandising now and the games are perhaps the biggest part of that. Case in point, Force Unleashed is perhaps their most ambitious project to date. So much so that they're hyping it up as "the next chapter in the saga."

Plus... the management over at LA has been shifting around here and there over the past fiscal year, and when the top guys change it usually changes the direction of the company. So while this might've been true in the past, we've yet to see if it will hold up.

-- xpaladin

[MMOz]
    AC1/2, AO, DAoC, EQ1/2, SoR, SWG, UO, WAR, WoW

• SonnoSonno Member Posts: 152

You know, if there is/was another SW MMO in the works, it would almost make more sense to kill off SWG to create a little more anticipation for the next game coming out.

SWG? Pull the plug already!

•  

Originally posted by Sonno

You know, if there is/was another SW MMO in the works, it would almost make more sense to kill off SWG to create a little more anticipation for the next game coming out.

Not to mention time for the wounds to heal.

Keeping SWG alive to filter into a sequel would be a disaster, unless the sequel was basically the fixed Pre-CU we all dream about.  Which will not happen.

No, the fact that they keep SWG alive even on life support, given that the game is no doubt losing money or BARELY breaking even at this point, to me suggests that the sequel will be more like the NGE than Pre-CU.  If it weren't, they wouldn't bother clinging to the fanbois.

• ArcAngel3ArcAngel3 Member Posts: 2,931

Most of what has happened with SWG has defied logic, so I really couldn't guess.

I'm still waiting for the day when new management or board members or someone (for goodness sake someone) starts to do something with the StarWars IP that makes sense.

• AnobacaAnobaca Member Posts: 68

Originally posted by Sonno

I was thinking could they may be keeping it running to keep people talking about Star Wars? There are no more new movies to drum up intrest and I know they are working on a live tv show but just does not seem all that exciting to me. With SWG for good or bad you had the prequals to keep the SW name in main stream of new things to talk about. Just seems to me at this point it is more or less Star wars fans keeping a eye out.

I could be wrong since weither swg was running or not most sw fans would find out about a new mmo some what easy. Not sure if I made any sense but just had the thought pop in my head.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Shutting down SWG will cause massive amounts of bad press for the star wars name in just about every game media that exists right now.  Forums, reviews and editorials will all be full of "well its about time that sick dog got put down" reports. 

That is not in Lucas Arts best interest if they are trying to make another MMO or launch a new wing of the franchise.  It is better to just let the game wallow in the mess it has created and quietly die than stir up a hornets nest of people cheering at the death of something star wars. 

Once a new MMO is released though, they can very easily close down SWG and simply say that all the player migrated to the new MMO, yadda yadda.    That would avoid most of the bad press of SWG folding.  I believe Lucas Arts will keep the game going no matter how terrible it is just to take the lesser of two evils.

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

I tend not to follow the popular idea that SWG is SOE's game that they make with permission by LA.  Personally, I see the game as belonging to LA with SOE employed to design the game the way LA wants it.  If that's the case, I'm not so sure there would be a license to sign - it would be LA's game afterall and they don't need to give a license to themselves. 

• SonnoSonno Member Posts: 152
    Originally posted by Daffid011

Shutting down SWG will cause massive amounts of bad press for the star wars name in just about every game media that exists right now.  Forums, reviews and editorials will all be full of "well its about time that sick dog got put down" reports. 

That is not in Lucas Arts best interest if they are trying to make another MMO or launch a new wing of the franchise.  It is better to just let the game wallow in the mess it has created and quietly die than stir up a hornets nest of people cheering at the death of something star wars. 

Once a new MMO is released though, they can very easily close down SWG and simply say that all the player migrated to the new MMO, yadda yadda.    That would avoid most of the bad press of SWG folding.  I believe Lucas Arts will keep the game going no matter how terrible it is just to take the lesser of two evils.

I honestly don't think they give a crap about bad press.

SWG? Pull the plug already!

• rikiliirikilii Member UncommonPosts: 1,084

Originally posted by Kazara

I believe that LA/LEC has granted $OE a very restricitve, licensed use of the Star Wars IP which will allow SWG to remain on life support indefinitely (Station Pass fodder)......until it is in LA/LEC's best interest to pull the plug (if ever).

What makes you think that LA/LEC has the right to pull the plug?

• khartman2005khartman2005 Member Posts: 477
    Originally posted by rikilii

Because LA/LEC owns the Star Wars IP, it is only licensed to SOE for use with the SWG game. They could pull the license anytime they want. But, since LA/LEC approves of everything that goes in the game why would they pull the plug on a mess they themselves made.

• rikiliirikilii Member UncommonPosts: 1,084

Originally posted by khartman2005

Originally posted by rikilii

Because LA/LEC owns the Star Wars IP, it is only licensed to SOE for use with the SWG game. They could pull the license anytime they want. But, since LA/LEC approves of everything that goes in the game why would they pull the plug on a mess they themselves made.

You're out of your mind.  Do you honestly think that SOE would spend millions of dollars developing an MMO based on an IP license that LA could pull any time they wanted to?

Truth be told, we have no idea what the terms of the agreement are, but I'd bet a week's salary that LA didn't have the right to pull it anytime they wanted, and I wouldn't be surprised if the license was more or less perpetual.

• Originally posted by Sonno

Originally posted by Daffid011

I honestly don't think they give a crap about bad press.

Bingo.

Consider that they received the King God MOTHER of all bad press back in 2005-2006 over the NGE.

Indeed, they got more press over that than ANY new MMO launch ever will.  Indeed, their new movie and TV show won't receive much more press than that... 

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Originally posted by Obraik

I tend not to follow the popular idea that SWG is SOE's game that they make with permission by LA.  Personally, I see the game as belonging to LA with SOE employed to design the game the way LA wants it.  If that's the case, I'm not so sure there would be a license to sign - it would be LA's game afterall and they don't need to give a license to themselves. 
    If that were true then Lucas Arts would have been all over publicizing the game and trying to increase subs since SOE is nothing more than programming.  As it is right now the Lucas Arts site is trying to obfuscate any connection with the game while SOE is trying their hardest to get more subscribers.

Remember the SOE of today isn't the MMO dominator it was when the got the SWG lisence in 2000?  I don't think either company was stupid enough to sign a one sided contract and both have their dirty little hands in every choice that is made.  It is just the Lucas Arts doens't need SWG at all and SOE does.