Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

But yet people still believe..

28days28days Member Posts: 213

where more than 200 employees are busy putting the final touches on this intriguing massively multiplayer online role-playing game
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/ageofconanhyborianadventures/news.html?sid=6185031&tag=newlyadded;title;1

There are 200 people working on Age of Conan.

But yet somehow people still believe that a small handful working on Darkfall are going to accomplish a game that seems to have a feature set larger then any MMORPG ever released to date.

C'mon people.. it's time to wake up and look at reality.

Comments

• UbberGooberUbberGoober Member Posts: 247

There are 200 people working on Age of Conan.

But yet somehow people still believe that a small handful working on Darkfall are going to accomplish a game that seems to have a feature set larger then any MMORPG ever released to date.

C'mon people.. it's time to wake up and look at reality.

Age of Conan does not have 200 developers, Funcom has 200 or so employees and i hate to break it to you but not all of them are developers of Age of Conan. Darkfall has approx 40 developers, granted 70 or so would be the average in terms of development and would most likely cut the development time in half, but even most of the other MMORPG's that do get developed don't have that many developers to start with anyway.

I guess if you count all the acountants, lawyers, security Darkfall would come out to have at least 60 or so people working. But that simply is not the case, what matters is the developers and the people who make the game itself. Vanguard had a large development team as well, probably comparable to Age of Conan but guess what much like Vanguard the Funcom people concentrated their resources on hyping up {Mod Edit}. If you spend 30 mil like funcom has on hyping up the game instead of putting that money into actual development the end rusults would look better. But then again that's what happeneds when you cut the developing team and hire more people to hype your shit, because this is in essence what Funcom is doing they have 200 employees and 2/3 of them don't even contribute directly to the development of Age of Conan.

• 28days28days Member Posts: 213

Originally posted by UbberGoober

Age of Conan does not have 200 developers, Funcom has 200 or so employees and i hate to break it to you but not all of them are developers of Age of Conan.

where more than 200 employees are busy putting the final touches on this intriguing massively multiplayer online role-playing game

that clearly says otherwise. And even if you would cut that number in HALF.. that's still 100 people working on the game.

One can easily say Darkfall doesn't have anywhere remotely near 40 people working on it for the simple fact that beyond maybe 6 or 8 names , there are no other people publically known to be working on it...

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

28days, I fail to understand why you try to disprove that the game will come out or not. You obviously don't care about it being released or not.

UbberGoober, comparing a soon to be released in beta game with a unknown when will be released in all probability never is ... weird. Darkfall may sound great in concept and it may be viable once it's out, but the hard reality suggests that development stopped years ago and the developers return to their full time jobs. Bashing Funcom for releasing AoC is weak given that their product is near ready and presentable, even in the current state.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    According to wikipedia Funcom has total of 233 employees. So that article's claim that more than 200 people's are putting final touches to AoC isn't entirely true. There are much less than 200 working full-time on creating the game.

Originally posted by Vrika

According to wikipedia Funcom has total of 233 employees.

The fact Funcom has 233  employees makes it very likely that 200 can be working on it at this late stage (crunch time)..    with 33 left over doing other things.

Funcom can very well be throwing nearly all it's resources at it at this point to make sure it gets done.

• naldricnaldric Member UncommonPosts: 909
    Originally posted by Defendpeace

28days until you show proof that 40 devs cant do it after 5-7 years 
    or until you can show proof that they dont have nothing to show
    people mite as well brush what you say off like a fly
    stop making new threads this isnt AGE OF CRAP

Can Dark and Light be considered proof?

Is wikipedia a reliable reference to be brought into any argument? I'm just wondering because I thought that anyone can edit/ include information on wikipedia, plus it can be out of date.

Reliability of wikipedia is a more interesting topic than this thread I'm afraid.

UbberGoober, comparing a soon to be released in beta game with a unknown when will be released in all probability never is ... weird. Darkfall may sound great in concept and it may be viable once it's out, but the hard reality suggests that development stopped years ago and the developers return to their full time jobs. Bashing Funcom for releasing AoC is weak given that their product is near ready and presentable, even in the current state.

I am not Bashing Funcom because they are going to release AOC, i am bashing them because they spent 30 million on hyping this instead of putting that money into development. And trust me AOC needs more development time, it's not ready for release.

BTW thank you V for posting the number of employees that Funcom has, that guy's claim is bogus AOC does not have 200 developers, most of their employees don't even directly contribute to the development of Age of Conan.

• DefendpeaceDefendpeace Member Posts: 91
    Originally posted by naldric

Can Dark and Light be considered proof?

no they rushed it /ran out of money

then tried to scam people big diffirence

Defendpeace, you're not very clear on who did what of the things you accuse them of.

Edit:

You're probably responding to Naldric. Forum posts move so things can be confusing with the two word posts.

Edit2:

Sorry UberGoober for not trusting you, but I prefer my own eyes and judgement. After all, everyone consider different things as 'fun'. Wish Darkfall was in fact in the same development stage as AoC is today, but as a gamer that I'm only interested to play finished games, not talk about them, it's just wishful thinking.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Originally posted by Xasapis

Is wikipedia a reliable reference to be brought into any argument? I'm just wondering because I thought that anyone can edit/ include information on wikipedia, plus it can be out of date.

Reliability of wikipedia is a more interesting topic than this thread I'm afraid.

According to Funcom's own report they had 302 employees on December 31, 20007. The information can be found out on page 2 of the pdf I linked, at the end of Company Highlights. That number should be reliable.

Edit:

According to Funcom's own website they are currently developing internally 3 games. If you count how many people they need to support existing games (tech support, Anarchy Online's gamemasters, etc), there won't be that many people left to the dev team of one of those games. And Darkfall being made with a dev team of 40 suddenly sounds much more believable. Ofc I'm not sure that Darkfall has 40 developers, I'm just assuming this because a poster mentioned it earlier on this topic. /Edit

Originally posted by Xasapis

Defendpeace, you're not very clear on who did what of the things you accuse them of.

Edit:
    You're probably responding to Naldric. Forum posts move so things can be confusing with the two word posts.

Edit2:
    Sorry UberGoober for not trusting you, but I prefer my own eyes and judgement. After all, everyone consider different things as 'fun'. Wish Darkfall was in fact in the same development stage as AoC is today, but as a gamer that I'm only interested to play finished games, not talk about them, it's just wishful thinking.

this is why darkfall has been withholding beta because they want a almost complete game before beta starts but no one believes them

with the time they have i see its possible but like i have said we have to see. not throw our opinions around like there facts *looks at 28days*

• ghoul31ghoul31 Member Posts: 1,955

There have been some good MMORPGS made by small companies: Shadowbane, AC1, DAOC

On the other hand, these companies didn't lie about  beta for 5  years straight.

They lied about beta twice offcial beta dates

mos tmorrpgs miss alot of beta and release dates because there guesses at best

this is why darkfall has been withholding beta because they want a almost complete game before beta starts but no one believes them

I love it how DF fans just make stuff up and pass it off as being fact...

Originally posted by 28days

Do you need me to go find the Quote? About them saying they want an almost complete game before beta?

You made my point "FINISHED GAME", and i hate to break it to you but Age of Conan is not finished and neither is it polished. They spent 30 mil hyping it, much like Vanguard... Funcom spent an enormous amount of money on advertising instead of spending that money on development.  If Funcom had 200 developers working on Age of Conan which they don't maybe AOC would have been in a different state  3 months before release.

The Masses have started to grumble and for a good reason, 3 months before release and Funcom is still keeping a tight lid on the NDA, but that does not matter since they're are thousands of testers who blew AOC wide open and guess what the game itself is a complete distaster not only on low end systems but on high end nividia 8800 Ultra with a monster rig behind it.

• QuantumQrackQuantumQrack Member UncommonPosts: 81

It's the Cult of Darkfall.  Pretty soon these believers will be cutting their balls off and trying to transport themselves to the world of Darkfall.

• TrollstarTrollstar Member Posts: 332

Do you need me to go find the Quote? About them saying they want an almost complete game before beta?

No, I think he's asking you to prove that there is any game at all, much less a complete one ready for beta.

Who the hell are you, and why should I care?
    Congrats! You are a victim of Trollstar!

Originally posted by Calcedon

It's the Cult of Darkfall.  Pretty soon these believers will be cutting their balls off and trying to transport themselves to the world of Darkfall.
    yea pretty soon the haters will start cutting there balls off to get darkfall not to be released

so they can be right so they wont get laughed at

• jimsmith08jimsmith08 Member Posts: 1,039

if you say "cult of darkfall cult of darkfall cult of darkfall" in the mirror 3 times at midnight,a copy of the beta appears on a blank CD-R with a hand drawn paper jacket.

Originally posted by Trollstar

No, I think he's asking you to prove that there is any game at all, much less a complete one ready for beta.

Im asking himn to proove there isnt so we both need to stfu xD

• TrollstarTrollstar Member Posts: 332

Originally posted by Trollstar

Im asking himn to proove there isnt so we both need to stfu xD

People have been trying to prove the existance of/or non-existance of God for thousands of years, and this is almost the same thing, everyone only has their faith to go on since few real facts exist and the "creator" doesn't seem to say much these days. (or has run out of miracles)

Who the hell are you, and why should I care?
    Congrats! You are a victim of Trollstar!

Originally posted by UbberGoober

The Masses have started to grumble and for a good reason, 3 months before release and Funcom is still keeping a tight lid on the NDA, but that does not matter since they're are thousands of testers who blew AOC wide open and guess what the game itself is a complete distaster not only on low end systems but on high end nividia 8800 Ultra with a monster rig behind it.
    That is unfortunately not true from where I'm sitting. I wouldn't want to dispute what the imaginary "thousand of testers" see as an apple, when I see it as an orange. Can't say more than that, you're right about the NDA at least.

Please disregard the 8800 Ultra statement as false as well, speaking from personal experience as well.

• ghoul31ghoul31 Member Posts: 1,955

They lied about beta twice offcial beta dates
    mos tmorrpgs miss alot of beta and release dates because there guesses at best
    No MMORPG has ever delayed their beta by 5 years! Its unheard of.

Almost beyond belief really

This discussion has been closed.