Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

(sorry if this is in the wrong section) An issue I have yet to find a fix for. I know you guys are g

BobRossBobRoss Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 213

Hello Guys / Gals,

I have a small issue with my pc and Have talked to a few people about it they have never heard of such thing.

Events in order:

1) computer was running fine and everything was great!

2)Shut it down before work like I normally do , everything was great!

3) Come home from work and fired it up and had a prob I have yet to find a fix for.

Problem:

I came home from work and fired up the PC to play a bit of wow before I went to bed. I started noticing that I kept getting knocked offline. So I started watching the clock to see if it was consistent. Indeed, every 30 minutes my connection is being servered/ refreshed. As I sit here and type this I dont notice it but when inside a game I can visually see / time it since it knocks me offline. I have no idea what the problem could be. Another example(just an example) is if I'm online and I click on the Repair option on the network connection and it refreshes the subnet mask , dns,  bleh bleh. Acts just like that.

After trying several different things including running a spyware program and an anti-virus program, which the result was 0 infections,  I gave up and did a system restore and reloaded everything back onto my computer. I still have the same issue.

I also went through and checked all my drivers on my hardware and updated them ( actually 1) just in case somethign was a bit screwey in that area.

Simply I'm out of Ideas and Came here to see what the guru's of computers would say to an issue like this.

Thank you,

BobRoss

Comments

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

Got dial-up?

It sounds like a problem with your ISP.  Have you been running your Modem 24/7 since you got it.  If so try and let it cool.  Also you might be approaching some bandwidth limit set by your ISP.  I would contact them about this issue.

• BobRossBobRoss Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 213

Originally posted by CleffyII

Got dial-up?
    It sounds like a problem with your ISP.  Have you been running your Modem 24/7 since you got it.  If so try and let it cool.  Also you might be approaching some bandwidth limit set by your ISP.  I would contact them about this issue.
    Negative,

Cable Internet / Cable modem / Ethernet.

• AethiosAethios Member Posts: 1,527

Originally posted by BobRoss
    Originally posted by CleffyII Got dial-up?
    It sounds like a problem with your ISP. Have you been running your Modem 24/7 since you got it. If so try and let it cool. Also you might be approaching some bandwidth limit set by your ISP. I would contact them about this issue.
    Negative,
    Cable Internet / Cable modem / Ethernet.

What ISP are you using?

It may be, depending on your ISP and your router config, that hackers are attacking your router and crashing it regularly using a bot.

How about Torrents? Are you downloading?

It's not unusual to hear of a Torrent program overflowing the max number of simultaneous connections on the router, therefore forcing it to reset itself.

Time Warner / RoadRunner

As for Bit torrents or P2P stuff, I simply dont use that. Way too much risk. I use this PC to simply play a few games with . Nothing more. I visit a gaming website from time to time but I dont run out and DL the lastest videos of Biggun's or anything.

• eosyneeosyne Member UncommonPosts: 392

call up your isp

• AethiosAethios Member Posts: 1,527

Originally posted by BobRoss
    Time Warner / RoadRunner

In my experience, Roadrunner is the worst for hacker attacks. I watch my router periodically (I have Roadrunner as well) and I get a different hacker from a different IP address roughly every 3 seconds.

Check your router and make absolutely sure you have a firewall (not just SPI and not just a personal firewall). This will ensure that if anyone attempts to even scan your network, they will be blocked and have all ports closed to them.

There are ways around it, I'm sure, and I'm no security expert, but this should be enough to keep the script kiddiez out. On the other hand, you probably aren't in any danger as it is, but the disconnects probably won't stop any time soon and I know just how annoying they are, as they were doing this to me for a while.

• XenduliXenduli Member Posts: 654

What Os do you use?

What firewall do you use, hardware and/or software?

No annoying animated GIF here!

HI Xen,

Windows Xp is what OS I use. ( its updated with thelatest crap)

Currently I use a Kaspersky Internet Security 7.0. I had Norton but dumped it. Didn't like it really.

hardware and software? Not trying to be a smart ass or nothing but can you break down what exactly your asking for and I can answer best I can.

BobRoss

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Are you using your onboard ethernet or do you have a separate NIC card?

I had a similar issue awhile back, and basically my onboard ethernet fizzled out after a couple years of use. I installed a separate NIC card and my issues went away.

Another thing to check..make sure you COMPLETELY got rid of Norton. In my opinion that program is the biggest hack out there. It doesn't like letting you get rid of it, and if it still has components floating around your system it could be causing conflicting issues with the anti-virus you are using now.

Outside of that I couldn't really tell you without physically checking out your pc.

I'd contact your ISP like others have said also, see if its something on their network, or even in your area. I had crappy cable modem on a military base a few years ago, and it would start dropping me offline constantly during peak hours, and sometimes just randomly. I think they ended up crediting me more free days than I actually paid for.

Oh..how is the power in your area? Do you get brownouts? Sometimes these surges happen and you won't even notice, but it can cause your pc to do strange things if the power isn't stable. I've had that issue also.

I use an APC back up religiously now. I learned a hard lesson after about 3 power supplies and a video card.

D.

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914

I do computer repair for a living and I have come across similar issues multiple times.

The problem is, it could be multiple things, so I will try to help but you may need someone to come take a look at your connection (cable company, they are the only ones with the proper equipment.)

I am going to make a few assumptions based on your previous posts.

1.  You are directly connected from your modem to your computer through an ethernet cable.

2.  You have a cable modem, not a cable gateway (modem with a switch built in).

3.  You never had Norton on your system (or you removed it using SymNrt).

4.  You have never had any other connection issues.

1.  Ok the first thing you are going to want to do is purchase a Battery Backup, or UPC.  You should be using one of these anyway if you aren't already.  Make sure you plug in your computer & the cable modem into the side that has both the Surge & Battery icons.  If you are still having the same problem go onto step 2.

2.  Next you are going to want try a new ethernet cable, this is the cheapest route and easiest to test.  Buy the best quality cat6 cable you can find.

3.  Buy a cheap router (Linksys WRT54G is a great low-cost router).  Hook it up and see if this solves your problem.

4.  If you replace the cable and added a router  and you are still having trouble next step is to purchase a PCI ethernet card & install it in your computer, disable the onboard ethernet cable.  Preferably through the BIOS, but if there is no option for it, through the Device Manager.

5.  If you are still having the same problem I would suggest trying a different computer with the modem (make sure you unplug the modem for at least 30 seconds before plugging the new computer in) .  A friend's laptop would be great to test this out.

5a.  If a different computer is NOT having the same problem then it is your computer's motherboard, basically you need a new computer unless you want to replace the MB yourself, as it can be pretty expensive to have a shop do it for you.

5b.  If the different computer IS having the same problem then it is either your cable modem or your cable line, both things are going to need to be tested by the cable company, the problem is out of your hands at this point.

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

• tgftfjhgfuftgftfjhgfuf Member Posts: 68

Access your router log through web interface and see whats going on. It should show you if it gets disconnected from ISP and any problems in general.

edit: if you don't know how, type in 192.168.0.1 or similar in your browser. Look up in google a proper ip in case standard ones don't work.