Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quests

AmaraoAmarao Member UncommonPosts: 650

I just read a thread in the FFXI section, and it reminded me of how when people defend an mmo, they always reach for things that really aren't that fun. Now, this could just be me, but I believe that quests do almost nothing for an mmo, besides give you busy work to help with the grind. Players will still cite these as a "positive aspect" of the game, because it goes with the story. Be serious though, how many mmo's stories are the exact same thing or just terrible, yet some people seem to want to continue this.

I suppose Lore just isn't what I'm into the games for. Don't get me wrong, I love to think about what the region I'm in would really be like or what events in the game world shaped everything. But not for one second, will I believe that exchanging letters between people and collecting 10, 15, 50 of something is part of a "story".

A good example of a game that said good bye to quest busy work, is Lineage II. The game is very successful as all of them have been. All quests in that game do not affect the story, you get your own specific rewards, such as cat ears, weapons, enchants, and LARGE sums of money. I've never gotten the impression that I'm changing the world by collecting wolf paws.

I know that this is VERY familiar to some mmo players, but I'm sure a few out there still think they are interacting with the lore. To me those people belong with single player mmos if they want to be part of the story so much. This is all my opinion, and to clear one thing up, I am NOT saying anything about role-players, they run their own story and I respect that, their time isn't wasted collecting branches.

The point of all this is, that quests seem useless to me, and I don't like all the praise they get.

Comments

• VincenzVincenz Member Posts: 1,498

Originally posted by Amarao

I just read a thread in the FFXI section, and it reminded me of how when people defend an mmo, they always reach for things that really aren't that fun. Now, this could just be me, but I believe that quests do almost nothing for an mmo, besides give you busy work to help with the grind. Players will still cite these as a "positive aspect" of the game, because it goes with the story. Be serious though, how many mmo's stories are the exact same thing or just terrible, yet some people seem to want to continue this.
    I suppose Lore just isn't what I'm into the games for. Don't get me wrong, I love to think about what the region I'm in would really be like or what events in the game world shaped everything. But not for one second, will I believe that exchanging letters between people and collecting 10, 15, 50 of something is part of a "story".
    A good example of a game that said good bye to quest busy work, is Lineage II. The game is very successful as all of them have been. All quests in that game do not affect the story, you get your own specific rewards, such as cat ears, weapons, enchants, and LARGE sums of money. I've never gotten the impression that I'm changing the world by collecting wolf paws.
    I know that this is VERY familiar to some mmo players, but I'm sure a few out there still think they are interacting with the lore. To me those people belong with single player mmos if they want to be part of the story so much. This is all my opinion, and to clear one thing up, I am NOT saying anything about role-players, they run their own story and I respect that, their time isn't wasted collecting branches.
    The point of all this is, that quests seem useless to me, and I don't like all the praise they get.

...and this is why there's more than one MMO available for purchase. Hope you find yours.

• AmaraoAmarao Member UncommonPosts: 650
    Originally posted by Vincenz

...and this is why there's more than one MMO available for purchase. Hope you find yours.

I never said this was a reason I didn't play a certain mmo. I was hoping to have someone either support this or give me a reason to quests importance. You've done neither though.

• VincenzVincenz Member Posts: 1,498

I never said this was a reason I didn't play a certain mmo. I was hoping to have someone either support this or give me a reason to quests importance. You've done neither though.

No, actually you posted a diatribe about why quests are worthless to you.  I have no intention of trying to convince you otherwise, I simply am happy that you can find a game that has none...while I can find games that have quests I enjoy.

• MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183

Yea I started with UO or EQ so the notion of using quests as a means of leveling was pretty new to me when they started moving towards that trend. I really don't know which one I perfer as I have fond memories of both playstyles. Quests won't be making or breaking the game for me anyways ;p

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

• ScottcScottc Member Posts: 680

Ignore the ignorant folk.  They haven't played any games that are different from the usual FFXI/WoW mold.  Quests aren't about leveling or grinding, FFXI just implements them horribly.  Go play Asheron's Call and you'll absolutely love questing.  Most quests are pretty detached from leveling, although some provide an experience reward, most of it is about the exploration, learning the lore of the world, and uncovering lost artifacts and such.

• AmaraoAmarao Member UncommonPosts: 650
    Originally posted by Vincenz

No, actually you posted a diatribe about why quests are worthless to you.  I have no intention of trying to convince you otherwise, I simply am happy that you can find a game that has none...while I can find games that have quests I enjoy.

Quests are worthless to me, but that doesn't mean that if a game is somewhat centered around them, I won't play it. I never said that I quit a game because the quests were stupid or that a game with quests is shit. I just don't like the idea of leveling and interacting with the story through them.

Saying a quest is worthless to me, in no way implies that I've refused a game because of quests. I'm not sure how you took that out of what I wrote.