Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Report on State of Game: Hands on Gamespot + Video

AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Read it all here, from a different impression ( as I am a Fan, but there were 16 other press guys there)

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/ageofconanhyborianadventures/news.html?sid=6185031&tag=newlyadded;title;1

There is a video too exclusive to game spot - link in first picture of Gaute.

The gamespot guys were cool, and easy to kill in PvP  I even saw Jon "Stradden" Wood kill someone I think!?!

Comments

• SidoxsSidoxs Member Posts: 103

You'll need at least 30 members in your guild to create a city.

That sucks

There will be more than 20 raid encounters at launch, designed for 24-player groups, and they're going to last between two and three hours on average. It's also foreseen that you'll probably make several attempts before you manage to defeat a raid mission the first time. There are essentially eight dungeons in the game, divided into three tiers. At the first tier there are three dungeons, and you must defeat any one of these to advance to the three second-tier dungeons. You must defeat all three of these in order to advance to the third and final tier.

Ahahahaha......haha sorry just had to laugh at that... all the people saying its not going to be a raiding game..

If you read the comments in on that report, theres a guy that says something like my 3 year WoW career will end with this game...i wonder why?

HOGG4LIFE

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Originally posted by Sidoxs

You'll need at least 30 members in your guild to create a city.

That sucks
    There will be more than 20 raid encounters at launch, designed for 24-player groups, and they're going to last between two and three hours on average. It's also foreseen that you'll probably make several attempts before you manage to defeat a raid mission the first time. There are essentially eight dungeons in the game, divided into three tiers. At the first tier there are three dungeons, and you must defeat any one of these to advance to the three second-tier dungeons. You must defeat all three of these in order to advance to the third and final tier.
    Ahahahaha......haha sorry just had to laugh at that... all the people saying its not going to be a raiding game..
    If you read the comments in on that report, theres a guy that says something like my 3 year WoW career will end with this game...i wonder why?
    Its actually around 90 mins for a typical raid. Raid content is provided for those that like it, just like PvE, Pvp and Crafting. The info you quoted on they got a bit wrong. Maybe if you quoted the whole of the article you would see that there is more than just raiding, you dont have to raid to get the best items or gear.

So its not ok to provide quite a bit of raid content for the people that like that?

• SidoxsSidoxs Member Posts: 103

Go ahead and think what you want. Think about it. lets say 100,000 people get the max level and get the pvp gear,  think they will be able to compete with the people who spend hours raiding? theres no way funcom will be able to cater to both and make them balanced. The people who raid will outnumber those who pvp and complain that they are spending hours raiding for gear that is equal. Then funcom will have to upgrade the raid gear or decrease pvp gear. The people who raid will not raid all day, they will still pvp.....

HOGG4LIFE

Go ahead and think what you want. Use your brain. Think about it.

i didnt just use my brain but I also saw and heard from their own presentations.

You dont even have to touch raiding in AoC to participate.

Any other aspect of Age of Conan is not directly tied to raiding with regards to gameplay.

8 dungeons at launch, each with 3 tiers and you get a week to complete each tier. Drops don't have an impact over a crafted item in PvP. Some drops from raiding can help in other area's of the game but a crafted item can be better still.

Raiding doesnt affect PvP, seperate PvP levels. Skills arent mixed in therefore  nerf on a skill doesnt matter if a raider abuses it and then it gets nerfed and affects everyone else.

Raiding doesnt have a bearance on sandbox style environments of PvE and PvP city building. etc etc

So if you think its a raiding game solely your mistaken. Its a game that appeals to raiders because of its content as well as other aspects.

You can spend more time Sieging than raiding.

Just because the game ticks the "raid" box doesnt make it a raid game. I would argue it has more content in other area's =)

I still dont think you understand, the game was designed so you dont have to raid to get the best items...

Raid drops will 90% of the time be stuff that helps for raiding only. There is no raid drop connection with PvP that cant be bettered by a crafted item.

• DremacDremac Member Posts: 187

I always suspected gamespot guys would be easy to kill in PvP...thanks for the link.

ry just had to laugh at that... all the people saying its not going to be a raiding game..

They've emphasized that items have different PvE and PvP stats. I haven't read a thing that would suggest you can't just do end game PvP all day long if that's your thing.

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

Good stuff Avery. I hope PvE is as fun as it was in WoW, PvP gets stale for me quick. After you've slain thousands of players online, it just gets old.

"One death is tragedy; a million is a statistic." Hehe... I'm definitely in the "statistic" PvP wise category.

Did they mention how many "group" based dungeons they'd have, and would they be spread across the levels (I know the raids are clumped at the top, though there was brief mention that a level 40ish raid might make into release)? That's where I end up having the most fun (outside of soloing of course). WoW had plenty of these dungeons as well as big raid targets. I gave up hardcore raiding in EQ1 after 2 years of being in an uberguild raiding 7 days a week 6+ hours a day. I don't need another "job" anymore. :D

• whozthisguywhozthisguy Member UncommonPosts: 186

i simply can't wait for this game to be released. the perfect mix of head chopping, raiding PvP. and the epic strories that can be lived threw and experienced by the PvE thats drawen from the deep and dark lore of the conan world. not to mention the graphical potential....*droolz* directX10's shadowing effects truely adds another, subtle yet powerful dimension thats completely enveloping...

ugh, frigg'n damn delays:(

• daryoshdaryosh Member Posts: 13

Go ahead and think what you want. Think about it. lets say 100,000 people get the max level and get the pvp gear,  think they will be able to compete with the people who spend hours raiding? theres no way funcom will be able to cater to both and make them balanced. The people who raid will outnumber those who pvp and complain that they are spending hours raiding for gear that is equal. Then funcom will have to upgrade the raid gear or decrease pvp gear. The people who raid will not raid all day, they will still pvp.....
    if i get all the information right, pvp- gear is only useable in pvp. so there is no comparison between those who have pvp- gear and those who have raid- gear.

i think its a good idea to have a lots of possible things to do when highlvl. and here we have pve- raids, pvp, noncombat, drunken-pvp and so on... sounds pretty cool after all. :D

• jadan2000jadan2000 Member UncommonPosts: 508

i guess your thinkng that raiding will give you the best pvp gear like wow does. This is not the case in AOC. In aoc the gear you get out of it helps you in pve, especialy the pve situations you face in the raids at hand. You will be able to get better crafted pvp gear.

• AldwinAldwin Member Posts: 92

When it comes to PVP, I'm generally of the opinion: "meh".

PvP seems to bring out the worst in many players and it fills with boards with complaints about "balance".

I've seen this in SWG, LoTRO, City of Heroes/Villians, and others.

That being said, I'm looking forward to Age of Conan. If I end up not liking it, I'll always have my lifetime subscription to LoTRO. :)

Originally posted by Aldwin

PvP seems to bring out the worst in many players and it fills with boards with complaints about "balance".

This just makes me lol more when I kill them. Especially when I'm playing the "underpowered" class. Seriously it's a problem with whiners and forums, not the game ;)

• Helloooo.....

Anybody remember anything about the gamespot editor getting canned over a somewhat low rating (Kane & Lynch 6.0) he gave a new Eidos game and wouldn't retract it. Gamespot denies it of course. Is Gamespot already biased by corporate advertisers to the point where they can no longer be trusted to speak the truth? Well, there's the fact that Gamespot has gotten big advertising from Eidos for Age of Conan.

No-one I know will use Gamespot anymore. Mainly because their reviews cannot be trusted. And this latest PR stunt is exactly that. I just feel sorry for Jeff Gerstmann.

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811

That was a very interesting video. It's a pity there is so much blood and flying heads. Maybe I'd play a horrified healer hiding behind, if I had a good computer.

If you don't like Gamespot there is are other reports such as mmorpg.com's or these:

24.01.07Hands-on preview article on Multiplayer (Italy)

14.01.07Age of Conan report from CES07 on IGN

14.01.07Age of Conan report from CES07 on Joystiq

14.01.07Age of Conan report from CES07 on Gamespy

14.01.07Age of Conan report from CES07 on Massively

14.01.07Age of Conan report from CES07 on Voodoo Extreme

11.01.07Hands-on preview article on PC Games (Germany)

09.01.07Hands-on preview article on PC Action (Germany)

08.01.07Hands-on preview article on Mpogd

08.01.07Hands-on preview article on ShackNews

08.01.07Hands-on preview article on Voodoo Extreme

08.01.07Hands-on preview article on Fragzone (Sweden)

08.01.07Hands-on preview article on PZ Zone/CVG (UK)

08.01.07Hands-on preview article on Eurogamer (UK)

08.01.07Hands-on preview article VideoGamer (UK)

08.01.07Hands-on preview article on JeuxVideo (France)

08.01.07Hands-on preview article on JeuxVideoPC.com (France)

08.01.07Hands-on preview article on 3DJuegos (Spain)

08.01.07Hands-on preview article on Vandal (Spain)

08.01.07Hands-on preview article on Meristation (Spain)

08.01.07Hands-on preview article on Onlinewelten (Germany)

08.01.07Hands-on preview article on Gamona (Germany)

08.01.07Hands-on preview article on GamesWelt (Germany)

08.01.07Hands-on preview article on Eurogamer (Germany)

17.12.07Hands-on preview article on Gamona (Germany)

17.12.07Hands-on preview article on WarCry

17.12.07Preview videos available on GameTrailers

17.12.07Hands-on preview article on GameSpy

17.12.07Hands-on preview article on GameSpot

17.12.07Hands-on preview article on IGN

17.12.07Hands-on preview article on Mmorpg.com

17.12.07Hands-on preview article on Curse Gaming

17.12.07Hands-on preview article on Allakhazam

• whozthisguywhozthisguy Member UncommonPosts: 186

my god man.

• IGN is no better then Gamespot.

Anyway, most of the preview are from CES2008 in Las Vegas, not from the show at Funcom Office the 23. Januar. The outdated preview have little interest as the core game have change  a lot with the cut in feature lately.

Originally posted by Battlekruse

IGN is no better then Gamespot.

Anyway, most of the preview are from CES2008 in Las Vegas, not from the show at Funcom Office the 23. Januar. The outdated preview have little interest as the core game have change  a lot with the cut in feature lately.

Fansite Event Press Roundup

- Jan 31, 2008

Just a few weeks ago, we held a big community event here in Oslo with press and even the lucky fan who won our contest.

While it's impossible to link to every single article, you'll find a sampling of the coverage at the following sites (and more by poking around them!).

MMORPG.com:

Press Event Report #1

Press Event Report #2

Press Event Report #3

Gamespot:

Updated Impressions

Video Feature

TenTonHammer

Launched a whole new fansite.

MondesPersistants (French)

Crafting

Genesis

Guild Cities

Curse

Crafting and more

Interface Mods and More

Armor, animations, and more

Raiding, PvP, and more

Vault

Visit Report

Gamona (German)

Visit Report

Buffed (German)

Crafting, Raids, and More

Hyborian Codex

Info Roundup

WarCry

Hands-on Preview

Event Report

OnlineWelten (German)

Event Writeup

Multiplayer.IT (Italian)

Event Report

Goha.ru (Russian)

Conan News and Info

AgeofConan-FR (French)

Event Report

And you'll also find a huge number of videos from the distinguished Avery, winner of our fan competition.

Maybe that will help, otherwise if you applied to Beta, shouldn't be long :)

• Interestingly enough while their siege preview presented at CES appeared all smooth despite dozens of characters onscreen, the actual game visible in the interview parts chugged rather horriblly with way less on display ( http://www.gametrailers.com/player/29634.html ) Can't say that the last launch date fills me with confidence the game will be anywhere near complete at launch, nor hopeful about the final performance on maybe even medium level hardware.

Remains to be seen, of course.

Originally posted by Battlekruse

Interestingly enough while their siege preview presented at CES appeared all smooth despite dozens of characters onscreen, the actual game visible in the interview parts chugged rather horriblly with way less on display ( http://www.gametrailers.com/player/29634.html ) Can't say that the last launch date fills me with confidence the game will be anywhere near complete at launch, nor hopeful about the final performance on maybe even medium level hardware.

Remains to be seen, of course.

Sure it remains to be seen, the siege footage was the demo presentation shown from a few months ago. The game on screen in the background on the monitor was I believe Aztels Approach and a camp area looked fine to me but the video itself was chuggy. Also I think you will be surprised at how smoothly the game will play on a low end system with Shader Model 2 support ;)

I mean atleast they have all their classes finished, mounts ready to go and working, and a crafting update and have been stress testing servers for quite a while now. Kinda more than other games have shown for Q2 release.

• greenstumpsgreenstumps Member Posts: 250

Previews are designed to sound positive about the game so i'll wait for the reviews to decide if I will buy or not.

• Just the fact IGN gives Pirates of the Burning Sea a 8.2 score proves there is something run with gamesites preview/review today. In Potbs, the servers are so underpopulated that they already started to server merging.

• bee52bee52 Member Posts: 158
    Originally posted by greenstumps

Previews are designed to sound positive about the game so i'll wait for the reviews to decide if I will buy or not.

Hah too damn right. Metacritic's about the only 'review' site I look at these days.