Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

the real reason i will NOT pay for a Runescape subscription

RomanjisanRomanjisan Member Posts: 53

If a free mmo wants me to subscribe, logging me out just because I'm "inactive" for more than a minute is NOT the way to encourage me.  I was looking at a part of their own website for map and location information when they kept logging me out after about 60 seconds or so.  Since it was always so consistent with this behavior, I can only assume that they were being very rigorous in logging players out due to "inactivity".

Sorry, Runescape, but I'm not coming back anymore to try out your cute little game.  Here's a tip, Jagex: if you want to encourage people to play more and hence to subscribe with real money, do NOT log them out just because they are "inactive" for a mere 60 seconds.  There are just too many other games out there that want my money, too, and they don't try to cut me off just because I'm "inactive" while looking up information about their own game.

Sheesh!

Comments

• enteartemaenteartema Member Posts: 7

I agree in that dude, anyway I dont really recomed you to be inactive in the game while serching information or whatever, just a tip, most of the players are killed by randoms that appeard while they are not playing attention, this can be they are checking the map, information or even chating inside rs, so u can be inactive for 60 seconds, once, twice, or may be tree but i can asure u that soon or later u will realized that your acc is deth and u wont like that lol

• kissingkatekissingkate Member Posts: 2

If your not going to play because they log you out every 60 seconds you go do that. Thats not a very big deal, and if your judging games based on little things like that i dont think youll like any mmorpg games. Jagex has a lot of things to concentrate on right now and there not going to worry about that.

• benjor9000benjor9000 Member Posts: 1

I have to agree. I play many massmogs, including wow, guild wars, dungeon runners, and Rappelz, just to name a few. I have many friends who play Runescape, and I'd like to hang out with them, but getting kicked for trying to plot my rout on the map is stupid. I know i may get attacked for not paying attention, and if that happens, my bad, but I accept that risk. Being logged every 60 seconds (and I swear it's hit me at 30) isn't just annoying, it's dumb.

ok u may take the risk, thats yor choise, and u may found annoying getting kicked off every time u are inactive for 1min, its ok, its your choise too, spite of all the changes jagex has made, that i think they have ruin the game, this is still one of the best mmorpg, or u wanna play line-age? where u have to pay real money for an armour, where the game is based on real money. At least in here jagex is doing somethings to prevent that. I think thats its ok they worry about things like that first, then we can solve other things.

• RomanjisanRomanjisan Member Posts: 53
    There is absolutely NO reason to get auto-logged off a game just because of a short period of inactivity, NONE. Most people are looking up game information when that happens or are on a bio-break or any number of valid reasons. Getting auto-logged off in just 60 seconds of not moving my mouse is, plain and simple, a STUPID policy. It certainly has nothing to do with stopping gold-farming/trading or whatever. There is NO good rationale for it.

And yes, I pay attention to the little things a game does because it is a good indicator of how the game will handle the big issues. If it can't even handle the little things correctly, how can it expect me to have faith that it will handle the big stuff correctly?

• SimiswimmSimiswimm Member Posts: 127

Though only some of the annoyances caused by this one minute and thirty second logout timer are: fishing, cooking, fletching, farming, in some cases fighting, also mining, smithing, woodcutting, and construction, the only good point is that it protects you from random events.

Only problem - random events are useless to stop macros - and even more useless now that there ARE NO MACROS, and they generally just annoy the population. Like that time I got a dragon half shield drop and the game show dude took me. Grand.

-=- Simiswimm -=-

well, I said what I think and can't say I agree with you. obiously we have diferents points of view. you have a point and if u think that, its ok to me. we have a diferents opinions thats all lol.

and about the last one, I would love to see you in the duel arena, I think I'll own you lol

• LlamsterLlamster Member Posts: 234

That's like shopping for cars and refusing to buy a certain model primarily because the door squeaks when you open or close it.

Somebody should slap some common sense into you, because right now it's apparent that you don't have any.

Have played: RuneScape, EQ2 (free trial), Last Chaos, Silk Road, Dungeon Runners.
    Currently playing: RuneScape, Dungeon Runners.

The notion that graphics, or anything else for that matter, are anywhere near as important as gameplay/fun is so utterly ridiculous that anyone who shares such a view should be placed in an asylum.

• mike480mike480 Member Posts: 75

i actually think it is a good idea that ppl log off in less then a minute.  After all each world can only hold up to 2000 people, so why would it be fair that if i got in w1, that it wpould always b full-since people would hardly log off.  As well as that there are random events that my kill you when ur gone.

~mike480~

• AkaJetsonAkaJetson Member Posts: 1,167
    Originally posted by mike480

i actually think it is a good idea that ppl log off in less then a minute.  After all each world can only hold up to 2000 people, so why would it be fair that if i got in w1, that it wpould always b full-since people would hardly log off.  As well as that there are random events that my kill you when ur gone.
    ~mike480~

Yeah i agree.

?

• K33n0K33n0 Member Posts: 80
    Originally posted by AkaJetson

Originally posted by mike480

i actually think it is a good idea that ppl log off in less then a minute.  After all each world can only hold up to 2000 people, so why would it be fair that if i got in w1, that it wpould always b full-since people would hardly log off.  As well as that there are random events that might kill you when ur gone.
    ~mike480~

Yeah i agree.

Yeah, I can't believe people are stopping playing RS for something this small. If anythin, I think its a good thing. I for one sometimes need to check some info in another window, sometimes its impossible to play the game and have all other windows closed, and i think havingthe log out period does protect you from randoms if u need to check somethin. I also think that Jegx should think about removing some randoms, as macroing is pretty hard to do now anyway.

• devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359
    Originally posted by Llamster

That's like shopping for cars and refusing to buy a certain model primarily because the door squeaks when you open or close it.
    Somebody should slap some common sense into you, because right now it's apparent that you don't have any.

@! ... is still laughing ... ok... your telling that guy to get sense .. when you would be the one buying a car with a squeaky door.. when  you can go buy a better car without a squeaky door that blows your squeaky door car off the road. ... My family has been in nhra for years and never once made a car with a  squeaky door lmao.  no what you do  is pay for a good design including good doors. why settle for junk when you can have it all. CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT> -.-.  -------- DO NOT SETTLE -------- I quit that junk of a game called " ruinedscape" and am playing much better games.  Do not pay for substandard work.

Originally posted by deviliscious

Originally posted by Llamster

@! ... is still laughing ... ok... your telling that guy to get sense .. when you would be the one buying a car with a squeaky door.. when  you can go buy a better car without a squeaky door that blows your squeaky door car off the road. ... My family has been in nhra for years and never once made a car with a  squeaky door lmao.  no what you do  is pay for a good design including good doors. why settle for junk when you can have it all. CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT> -.-.  -------- DO NOT SETTLE -------- I quit that junk of a game called " ruinedscape" and am playing much better games.  Do not pay for substandard work.

You completely missed my point. My point is that the OP is making big deal out of something that is utterly insignificant. And that's pretty sad if you wouldn't buy a car with a squeaky door just because it has a squeaky door and is otherwise perfectly good.

And how can you possibly miss the "1" button while typing exclamation marks?

Have played: RuneScape, EQ2 (free trial), Last Chaos, Silk Road, Dungeon Runners.

The notion that graphics, or anything else for that matter, are anywhere near as important as gameplay/fun is so utterly ridiculous that anyone who shares such a view should be placed in an asylum.

• toonedtooned Member Posts: 41

Why should anyone ever settle if they don't have to? I would never settle for second best in anything that I do why would I pay good money to settle for less than the best? Each and every person has a right and responsibility to set the highest standard in everything that they do. So why would they expect to not set the highest possible standard for everything that they buy. There is no way that I would ever spend my hard earned money on something that is imperfect. If that imperfection is an annoying door squeak or a game that does not offer a flexible enough idle timer. The fact remains that an individual with the abilty to set and meet a standard of excellence should always expect and demand excellence.

Originally posted by tooned

Why should anyone ever settle if they don't have to? I would never settle for second best in anything that I do why would I pay good money to settle for less than the best? Each and every person has a right and responsibility to set the highest standard in everything that they do. So why would they expect to not set the highest possible standard for everything that they buy. There is no way that I would ever spend my hard earned money on something that is imperfect. If that imperfection is an annoying door squeak or a game that does not offer a flexible enough idle timer. The fact remains that an individual with the abilty to set and meet a standard of excellence should always expect and demand excellence.

There is a distinct border between striving for excellence and sheer vanity. Not buying something for a matter as insignificant as a squeaky door or a somewhat annoying log-out timer is crossing that border.

The point being that  a game is supposed to be made for enjoyment not annoyances. Runescapes is so full of annoyances, the log out timer, the random events, the poor customer service , how long it takes to get a magic log.. that each and every annoyance builds up to where the game just becomes one big annoyance rather than an enjoyable way to spend your down time.

• RaikulRaikul Member Posts: 38

<p>I don't know why everyone is saying the auto-log is a bad thing. (Btw, it's 90 seconds) This combined with random events cuts down on botters, moreso than any other game. Runescape has some of the best customer service, I get my answers from the Help Desk fairly quickly. Jagex (the makers of RuneScape) even listen to there players, adding content they want based on polls and forums. How is that bad customer support..</p>

• Bri4christBri4christ Member Posts: 13

Okay well you said that you are a free player.you sound alittle selfish okay.most of the people that play runescape are a non-member.and think of it this way all the servers full and this person was taking up space in a server looking up stuff and you are waiting to get in the server but you couldn't because there was a person online afk taking up space. you have to be patient and  think about other people espically when you are a non-member. if you were a member i would understand i would probally agree with you because that is ridiculous it should be more like  every 10 minutes you get kicked off or atleast 5 minutes.

• mike480mike480 Member Posts: 75

Originally posted by Raikul

<p>I don't know why everyone is saying the auto-log is a bad thing. (Btw, it's 90 seconds) This combined with random events cuts down on botters, moreso than any other game. Runescape has some of the best customer service, I get my answers from the Help Desk fairly quickly. Jagex (the makers of RuneScape) even listen to there players, adding content they want based on polls and forums. How is that bad customer support..</p>
    I'm not really sure that it's 90 seconds...I'm pretty sure it's 60.  Btw, you really think that Jagex has a great custamor service?! Lmao, apparently you have been givin a mark/been hacked before, becuase it can take them sooooo long to get a reply back.  Also, if I were to know someone's previous passsword, i could get that account as easy as could be.

~mike480~

"No game is really bad - it's just bad players"

• AkaJetsonAkaJetson Member Posts: 1,167
    Originally posted by Bri4christ

Okay well you said that you are a free player.you sound alittle selfish okay.most of the people that play runescape are a non-member.and think of it this way all the servers full and this person was taking up space in a server looking up stuff and you are waiting to get in the server but you couldn't because there was a person online afk taking up space. you have to be patient and  think about other people espically when you are a non-member. if you were a member i would understand i would probally agree with you because that is ridiculous it should be more like  every 10 minutes you get kicked off or atleast 5 minutes.

I like the game but i do think they dont have that good customer service. Probably because so many people message them about pointless things.

?

The customer service is terrible because of the way they treat their customers. Suuure they are quick to answer easy stuff that doesn't really affect anything, but  when you try to contact them regarding major issues that is where it gets really ugly, in fact they may not respond at all. If they wrongly ban an account they will not listen to anyone about it. If your account gets hacked or stolen they  give you very little help. They have  wrongly banned English teachers, moms, dads, grandmas and would refuse to even consider that they were wrong. You can be banned for not talking . You can be banned for helping people. You can be banned for telling a guy to go shave his back after he follows you around for 30 min asking you to be his girlfriend. The way their forums work is you are alowed to post insignificant things, but if you attempt to address any major issues if it does not fall into their current mainframe they will delete the posts.  They do not want the general Runescape public to be aware of solutions that would unjustify whatever Jagex tries to tell people is the only way to do things, so their solution to that is to delete the posts and act like no one ever suggested it ( as they did prior to the trade and wilderness updates) . Only after the runescape riots did they even offer to let people post suggestions about improving it within their current framework.  But that is just the thing if it isn;t within the guidelines of what they have already done then they do not care to hear it. They refuse to accept the fact that not everything should be within that framework. They refuse to accept that the framework itself  could be the problem. Often you will find in time with dealing with their customer service that they will become arrogant and rude. I dealt with them for years, until I finally became so sickened with it that I gave up on their company entirely. Due to that I refuse to play any more games Jagex makes.

• AznChimpGuyAznChimpGuy Member Posts: 29

Man the game sucks now THAT IS CRAZY IN A GOOD WAY damnnnn HOORAY NOW RUNESCAPE WILL DROP OUT