Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which is Better WoW or LotRO

Which is better WoW or LotRO because im about to subscribe but im not sure which to go for

Comments

• ScottcScottc Member Posts: 680

They're both the same type of game, but i'd recommend LOTRO simply because Turbine has made games with very good PvE content in the past, whereas blizzard just focuses on leveling up and getting gear, there tends to be more to turbine games.  Both are terrible though imo.

• ganjnehriganjnehri Member Posts: 37

lotro if u want pve, wow if u want pvp. but my choice would be lotro

hooah!

Originally posted by ganjnehri

lotro if u want pve, wow if u want pvp. but my choice would be lotro

WoW is definitely not a game for PvPers.  LOTRO isn't either.

• 28days28days Member Posts: 213

World of Warcraft is much better all around...

In fact there's really no mmorpg out there that begins to approach WoW in content and polish.

LOTRO uses that horrid choppy Ac2 engine. I can't even play the game at full settings with 4 gigs ram , dual core 3gighz and a 300mb Radeon 2900 pro without chopping around all over. 

Originally posted by 28days

In fact there's really no mmorpg out there that begins to approach WoW as a in content and polish..

You must not have played very many MMORPGs.  You don't seem to know what content is.  I'll give you a hint, epic variety isn't content.

• 28days28days Member Posts: 213

I've been playing MMORPG's since AC1..

If you want to see a real game with some real content.. play AC1

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

I've played both WoW and LOTRO and currently I would recommend LOTRO more. I find LOTRO to have better character customization, quests, community and PvE.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

They both have free trials, why don't you give them a go and see which one has more appeal to you.

But the short answer is, both are good PVE games.  If you want to be part of large scale, well organized PVE raiding (and have lots of time) then go with WOW.  Also, despite the naysayers, WOW has a better PVP model than LotRO, considering how many people focus their time in it.

Personally, if my thought is if you've never tried WOW, give it a go. It really is a fun game the first time through (unless you are a sandbox loving,  SWG refugee, pre-trammel UO veteran, which in that case you'll hate them both)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• malefacusmalefacus Member Posts: 135

LOTR is deffenetely THE PvE MMO right now. But if you like RvR and PvP, go for wow(on a RPPvP server). They are both very good games, but WoW PvE is just a Grind, and LOTR lack a good PvP system.

• EvilxBunny20EvilxBunny20 Member Posts: 65

In fact there's really no mmorpg out there that begins to approach WoW in content and polish.

LOTRO uses that horrid choppy Ac2 engine. I can't even play the game at full settings with 4 gigs ram , dual core 3gighz and a 300mb Radeon 2900 pro without chopping around all over. 
    That is prolly the biggest lie ive read on this forum ;o!

1. WoW has no where near as much content as most MMOs... I have made 3 levels 70's and can safely say that.

2. WoW is not polished, in fact the graphics are extremely choppy, and really laggy. Extremely cartoony and oversized everything = no thanks.

3. I can run LOTRO on half them specs at full settings just fine.. with no errors. its a beautiful game ;o.

• ghoul31ghoul31 Member Posts: 1,955

LOTRO is just a really bad WOW clone. Go with WOW

• KilmarKilmar Member UncommonPosts: 844

Both are lacking content, but I'd give Lotro a go. Way better graphics, housing and a good lore.

• drklunkdrklunk Member Posts: 84

nobody wants to clone WoW because WoW does SSOO many thing wrong. i personally hate WoW because of how people hype it up and make it sound so awesome. ive played both and i think LOTR Online is WAY better. its much more casual and not a total grindfest. the community is way better and willing to help out. WoW is not a good game that gets VERY repetitive.ive played MMOs that are completely free and more fun than WoW. also more content and much better player support.

to sum it up LOTR>WoW.

• LifePositiveLifePositive Member UncommonPosts: 130

Originally posted by Scottc

In fact there's really no mmorpg out there that begins to approach WoW as a in content and polish..

You must not have played very many MMORPGs.  You don't seem to know what content is.  I'll give you a hint, epic variety isn't content.

I have to ask, what the hell do you consider to be content?

Looking at the other reasonably successful games out there, I see Guild Wars, a glorified massively multiplayer-RPG with good PvP, City of Heroes, a glorified grinder with awesome customization, EVE Online, a hardcore sandbox that plays like a second job, and Everquest II, which ironically stopped sucking when they started ripping off WoW.

Tabula Rasa, Pirates of the Burning Sea, and to an extent, Lord of the Rings are all WAYYY too young to approach the size and depth that WoW has developed over years of updates and an expansion pack. Even the aforementioned games have more content and depth owing simply to the fact that they have matured in the market.

You have to consider why people play these games. People play Guild Wars because it's free and you can get into the action quickly. It's cheap and it doesn't demand a lot of commitment. People play City of Heroes because they are fans of comic books. It's a niche game that makes up for the relatively shallow gameplay and content with character attachment and user-friendly features like side-kicking. People play EVE because of the shear potential the game has for user-created content. Everquest II is close even to WoW for the reasons to be essentially the same.

So, you have to stop being a snide, pretentious hack about it and consider WHY people actually play WoW. The bottom line is that it has a solid, balanced variety of races and classes, it is user-friendly and accessible from start to finish, it offers world PvE, instanced PvP, raid, quest and meta-game content no matter what level you are, and it has a loot-centric advancement system which, while absolutely NOT without it's faults, can never be said to not keep people interested.

I haven't played WoW in almost a year, I don't have an active account, and I probably won't get into it ever again, simply because of the new games on the horizon. But, honestly, it still outweighs virtually everything in it's generation and it's going to take the new generation a long time and a lot of patches, updates, and expansions just to get where WoW is today... And the damn thing keeps growing.

“How do you kill that which has no life

• VincenzVincenz Member Posts: 1,498

I would definitely say LOTRO.

1. MUCH better graphically.

2. A lot of "fun stuff" to do, like the music, that while time wasters, can be pretty fun.

3. MONSTER PLAY!  Great idea and well implemented.

p.s. I've only done the trials on both, but if I had to buy one it would have been LOTRO.  My real answer would be neither LOL!

• MaldusterMalduster Member Posts: 109

your computer just genuinely sucks then...

I run it fine on my bros X2 6000+, 2GB ram, and an 8600 GTS...

I would say LOTRO definately.

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170

Neither.

Games have gone to junk after Everquest Trilogy and DAOC

Originally posted by qombi

Neither.

True, nothing to beat old UO though.

• VincenzVincenz Member Posts: 1,498

Totally disagree, there's several "good games" out there breaking the mold...but then they get slammed for not having "X Feature" that WoW does.

Originally posted by Malduster

His computer is very good actually.  I have a 5 yearold machine with a 7800 GS, 2.4 ghz processor, and a gig of ram, and I was able to run LOTRO on high enough settings to look good, the game wasn't choppy for me it all.  It sounds like he needs to learn how to not get infected with malware, or he's just straight up bullshitting to get more people to play his crappy game.  It's no wonder WoW is so popular if all the players lie about it.

Originally posted by Scottc

Originally posted by Malduster

His computer is very good actually.  I have a 5 yearold machine with a 7800 GS, 2.4 ghz processor, and a gig of ram, and I was able to run LOTRO on high enough settings to look good, the game wasn't choppy for me it all.  It sounds like he needs to learn how to not get infected with malware, or he's just straight up bullshitting to get more people to play his crappy game.  It's no wonder WoW is so popular if all the players lie about it.

Yeah exactly, TBH I doubt he has those specs on his computer anyway...

the only time my game was choppy was when I had 3 computers on my network downloading large files and I had an antivirus checking my computer in the background.... THATS when my game was a bit choppy... duh?

• HvymetalHvymetal Member Posts: 355
    Originally posted by qombi

Neither.

QFT, honestly neither impressed me....