Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The biggest problem with NC soft MMOGs

SamuraiswordSamuraisword Member Posts: 2,111

Too much instancing.

I don't play MMOGs to be in a private world.

Comments

• The_Elder_CLOWNThe_Elder_CLOWN Member Posts: 57

I totally agree. Unfortunatly game companies seems to think otherwise. We've seen way too many games use way too much instancing (world zoning) technique in the recent past (TR, PotBS, HGL to name a few). Uninstalled all of them.

Personally, I refuse to play mmorpgs with anything less then one big exploarable seamless world. I refuse to accept this instancing crap of technology in the year 2008! We should see BIGGER worlds..not the opposite. Geez.

Ps...Just a small warning about replies from people not able to tell the difference between an instance and and instanced world ;)

M M O S S I N C E |1998|
    P L A Y I N G F A L L E N E A R T H
    T I M E I N V E S T E D |uo|swg|wow|fe|
    B E T A T E S T E R |rz|tr|hgl|potbs|potc|gw|hz|wish|fe|wow|df|war|allods|cog|lu|
    w w w . c l o w n g u i l d . o r g

• SynhellSynhell Member Posts: 67

Gonna have to agree. I'm really looking forward to Aion, but havent really been keeping up to date with Aion. Hope this will not affect the pvp too much

• EphimeroEphimero Member Posts: 1,860

So wrong. don't confuse NCsoft publisher with NCsoft developer.

As developers they have done 3 games only iirc, Dungeon runners, Lineage I and Lineage II. Now they are making Aion.

• AyaseAyase Aion Community CoordinatorMember Posts: 118

I guess, for Aion, it's convenient that you don't like it. :)

We intend to keep instancing in Aion fairly limited, only implementing it where it's necessary, such as for  important parts of storyline quests. Besides that, the world will be mostly persistent. I would estimate at least a 9:1 ratio between persistent parts of the world and instanced parts of the world.

Ultimately, one of the central Aion features - The Abyss - where the Elyos and Asmodians fight against each other for control over fortresses and possibly other important strategic locations, would be difficult and unjustified to implement using instancing.

---
    Sebastian Streiffert
    Community Representative - Aion

Follow my twitter! aion_ayase
    * In order to cover my back, things I write are of course subject to change.

• thorwoodthorwood Member Posts: 485

I disagree.

I have had more interaction with other players doing missions in instances than elsewhere in MMO's. 

I have been playing City of Heroes for 4 months now. Almost all teams form for instances.   Teaming outside of instances is far less common.  I usually only team outside an instance if someone else happens to be doing the same badge hunt or for a ship raid in Rikti War Zone.

When I played Everquest, I had far more interaction with other players after instances were introduced in the Lost Dungeons of Norrath expansion.  I met and grouped with players that previously never interacted with players outside their guild.

In Everquest when you grouped outside of an instance, you either ended up in a corner somewhere where you saw no other teams, or you ended up in unpleasant arguments on issues such as kill stealing, training mobs (accidentally or on purpose) onto other teams or hogging rare spawns.

In Everquest I wasted hours travelling to a particular location only to find the target mob had already been killled or someone else was already fighting in that location.  When this happened to an entire guild of 50 players, the total player time lost was huge.

In Everquest when 2 large guilds were in the same location, lag was terrible.  Other MMO's I have played also had huge lag if you had 50 to 100 people in one location.

The only game I have played that had  a single huge zone was Horizons.  There were huge lag problems in the busy city areas.  Not even WoW put its city areas on the main map.  The main city areas in WoW lag.  Imagine the lag if the main city for each faction in WoW was part of the main map.  

The current technology still has limits as to how much can be put on a single map without causing lag issues.

• Cador1402Cador1402 Member Posts: 5

were do we download this game ive been searching a long time lol...

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I played Lineage 1 and 2, don't recall much instancing in them.  Most of the other games you are thinking of were published by NC, but not developed by them.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DatcydeDatcyde Member UncommonPosts: 573

A small portion of instancing is nice for raid fights and certain missions imo.

• jmmcglojmmcglo Member Posts: 203

Originally posted by Samuraisword

Too much instancing.

Honestly the fact that this thread and post is here in the Aion forum is just insulting. It's not only insulting to me but it's insulting to the entire fan base who have actually taken an iota of their time to gather just a smidgen of information before they open their mouth and insert their foot. Had you have done that you would know that your statement has no bearing whatsoever on Aion and simply does not belong in this forum.

I honestly hope that the forum mods take this thread off completely.

Considering all the general threads here at MMORPG.com all you had to do was sift through a few and you'd have gotten an answer (had you asked one in the first place) about how Aion is being developed (persistant or instanced). Not to mention it's common decency to ask a person before you decide to take a crap on their lawn.

We are recruiting... Want to learn more? Click here.

• sweetdreamssweetdreams Member UncommonPosts: 190

I thought it was going to be mentioned about all the gold sellers and bots

• 1wolfie11wolfie1 Member Posts: 30
    Originally posted by jmmcglo

Too much instancing.

Honestly the fact that this thread and post is here in the Aion forum is just insulting. It's not only insulting to me but it's insulting to the entire fan base who have actually taken an iota of their time to gather just a smidgen of information before they open their mouth and insert their foot. Had you have done that you would know that your statement has no bearing whatsoever on Aion and simply does not belong in this forum.

I honestly hope that the forum mods take this thread off completely.

Considering all the general threads here at MMORPG.com all you had to do was sift through a few and you'd have gotten an answer (had you asked one in the first place) about how Aion is being developed (persistant or instanced). Not to mention it's common decency to ask a person before you decide to take a crap on their lawn.

can i take a crap on your lawn?

LoL! That would be em.. NO! Go crap on the neighbors lawn lol.

• NyiiNyii Member Posts: 26

Too much instancing.

Judging from your signature and avatar you would seem to be a TCOS fan yet in the following dev interview you can easily find the following information (http://www.tcos.com/sbforum/viewtopic.php?t=12557)

==================================

MMORPG_Taera: Trickarius asks, Will there be instanced areas within the game? If so, what areas will instancing mainly be based on?

[TCoS]Wolf: Yes... there will be a lot of instanced areas within the game. These areas are mostly dungeon areas, but also Ancestral Quests are part of those instanced areas. Would be rather annoying to see a good guild kill the Demon Army General again.. just before you reached him. I know Adinthalos can be a real pain. but I want him to be a pain for everyone.. not just a select number of people. hence...

[TCoS]Wolf: ...his place is instanced.

[TCoS]Wolf: Several raftyards are also instanced.. meaning that you go there for quests but you don't want other players ruining a certain event. Those are there too.. although those are in a minority group.

===========================

So you come to the Aion forums to bitch about instancing?

Nice post.

I would agree that instancing has its pros and cons, but if done well it should not take away from your enjoyment of the game.

World pvp/pve is good, but can be equally frustrating and can create just as many problems that are easily solved by instancing.

• 1wolfie11wolfie1 Member Posts: 30

i dont see a pronlem with instance... if its 1 big world you lag hella badly... and if its alot of tiny worlds... um... so

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Too much instancing.

NCSoft has developed 2 MMO's, Lineage 1 and 2 and afaik neither of them have instancing.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

"Personally, I refuse to play mmorpgs with anything less then one big exploarable seamless world. I refuse to accept this instancing crap of technology in the year 2008! We should see BIGGER worlds..not the opposite. Geez."

....still waiting?

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Originally posted by sweetdreams

I thought it was going to be mentioned about all the gold sellers and bots

While some of the nc games I play have few bots if non L2 is 75% made up of bots and macro farmers. Its the 1 factor that has stopped me from even trying the game.

• SamuraiswordSamuraisword Member Posts: 2,111

Originally posted by Nyii

Too much instancing.

Judging from your signature and avatar you would seem to be a TCOS fan yet in the following dev interview you can easily find the following information (http://www.tcos.com/sbforum/viewtopic.php?t=12557)

==================================

MMORPG_Taera: Trickarius asks, Will there be instanced areas within the game? If so, what areas will instancing mainly be based on?

[TCoS]Wolf: Yes... there will be a lot of instanced areas within the game. These areas are mostly dungeon areas, but also Ancestral Quests are part of those instanced areas. Would be rather annoying to see a good guild kill the Demon Army General again.. just before you reached him. I know Adinthalos can be a real pain. but I want him to be a pain for everyone.. not just a select number of people. hence...

[TCoS]Wolf: ...his place is instanced.

[TCoS]Wolf: Several raftyards are also instanced.. meaning that you go there for quests but you don't want other players ruining a certain event. Those are there too.. although those are in a minority group.

===========================

So you come to the Aion forums to bitch about instancing?

Nice post.

I would agree that instancing has its pros and cons, but if done well it should not take away from your enjoyment of the game.

World pvp/pve is good, but can be equally frustrating and can create just as many problems that are easily solved by instancing.

My personal experience with NC soft games is that there is way too much instancing as in COX, Guild Wars, both of which are listed as NC soft games on their website. I don't make the distinction between developing and publishing if most of the games they choose to publish highlight instancing.

I don't see any pros to instancing at all as I prefer other game mechanics to deal with some of the issues of a completely open persistent world. Instancing is just a lazy way to solve those issues while ruining the MMOG experience.

I hadn't read that interview with the Spellborn devs, but had known there would be some instancing in Spellborn. I was under the impression it would be limited per my inquiries on their site previously. Perhaps I was misled, so I will remove my visual support of their product for now until I know first hand how much instancing there will be.

So I ask the NC soft rep that replied earlier. How much of the gameworld in Aion will be instanced percentage wise?

• suu141suu141 Member Posts: 249

My personal experience with NC soft games is that there is way too much instancing as in COX, Guild Wars, both of which are listed as NC soft games on their website. I don't make the distinction between developing and publishing if most of the games they choose to publish highlight instancing.
    I don't see any pros to instancing at all as I prefer other game mechanics to deal with some of the issues of a completely open persistent world. Instancing is just a lazy way to solve those issues while ruining the MMOG experience.
    I hadn't read that interview with the Spellborn devs, but had known there would be some instancing in Spellborn. I was under the impression it would be limited per my inquiries on their site previously. Perhaps I was misled, so I will remove my visual support of their product for now until I know first hand how much instancing there will be.
    So I ask the NC soft rep that replied earlier. How much of the gameworld in Aion will be instanced percentage wise?

How embarrassing, you're just blindly accusing NCSoft of only making instance-only games and assuming all of their future titles will be heavily instanced. Just because NCSoft decides to help finance several games that happens to be instanced doesn't mean they favor them, otherwise they would've made their only two games(Lineage1,2) heavily-instanced, which they're not. If instanced games stop selling, do you think a company would continue making them for the hell of it?

As for the Aion gameworld, it will be approximately 90% seamlessly persistent, the remaining will be several instanced dungeons and story/quest related areas/scenes

Before you waste any more of our time, I advise you do some research and think twice before you post.

"When you're born you're naked, when you die you're naked again, and in-between all we do is work, eat, and play MMOs." ~Forum Warrior #141

Guild Wars is listed as being developed by NC soft on their website and Guild Wars is obscenely instanced, so I don't feel embarrassed at all.

Would you say that COX, published by NCsoft , is also only 10% instanced because CoX has way too much instancing for my taste? Every freaking mission was instanced.

• Ramones274Ramones274 Member Posts: 366

I don't think it's just a problem with NC..

Newer MMO's in general.

There are two kinds of people in this world. People who pick their nose.. and liars.

Originally posted by Ramones274

I don't think it's just a problem with NC..
    Newer MMO's in general.

I agree and it's a trend I don't care for and will not settle for.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Some of the folks on this forum who follow this game are wound way too tight.

You are "insulted" by someone asking a question (regardless of how he asked it) and demand he do his "research" before asking.

If you don't like his questions, feel free to ignore them.  No reason to bash him repeatedly.

Here, I've done almost no research, but I'll answer the question.  Looks like about 90% will be open world, with some key dungeons being instanced.

See.... that wasn't hard.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Some of the folks on this forum who follow this game are wound way too tight.
    You are "insulted" by someone asking a question (regardless of how he asked it) and demand he do his "research" before asking.
    If you don't like his questions, feel free to ignore them.  No reason to bash him repeatedly.
    Here, I've done almost no research, but I'll answer the question.  Looks like about 90% will be open world, with some key dungeons being instanced.
    See.... that wasn't hard.

There is a difference between asking a question and making a statement.

Too much instancing.

Lets get some facts straight here. Wound up tight? Nope.

Do you see him having asked a question in his OP here? Nope. He made an uneducated statement with no regard for asking a question. He asked questions only AFTER the proverbial hammer came down. I just simple stated mine with a little more "tact".