Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft is... WOW!!! (Crazy story of WoW and marriage...)

Here is the main link to the story. Just a regular story about how WoW broke up a 6 year marriage:

http://us.i1.yimg.com/videogames.yahoo.com/feature/wedding-woes-the-dark-side-of-warcraft/1186366

But below the surface, this quote by her says it all:

"""""I recognized that this was a game that would never end, and that's why I chose not to play it," she said.

Yet... she is the one who decided to buy it for her husband. LOL! SHE is to blame for her marriage failing, not Blizzard, not WoW.

What makes this story even crazier... is she used to work for Blizzard.

But serioiusly, to any women out there, DO NOT buy WoW, or any other mmorpg for your boyfriend, or husband! THINK about whatever present you are buying, RESEARCH whatever present you are buying - aka how you hope they will use it, how they most likely will use it. How you think their use of it will impact on you, and the relationship. If you must buy a computer game, buy a stand alone game. A NON- mmorpg!

Comments

• KaiphasKaiphas Member Posts: 59

Eventually, the players who prefer the treadmill style 'safely ride to 60 games' will grow weary of grinding and move with the rest of us into the next genre of MMORPGs, that will not require much grind. Every player I've ever known has moved away from grinding over time. It's sort of a mmorpg maturity thing.

I'm betting we won't have this problem in 2014.

If you don't like it, don't play it.
    800 million subscribers cannot lie

• ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662

I was just about to post this thread myself.  Here's the link to the full story.  It's nothing new, we all know it happens. but somehow, these sad stories never get boring.

http://us.i1.yimg.com/videogames.yahoo.com/feature/wedding-woes-the-dark-side-of-warcraft/1186366

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

this was a great laugh and the guy who fucked his life up with his wife is an idiot.  And shes a dumbass for saying that she will not go out with someone who plays games, I dont know one person who doesnt play games except for most realy old people.

• 1pitboss1pitboss Member Posts: 70

At the risk of starting a war LOL I will say this .. This goes way beyond a game and this is why women do not understand men. It is in our genes in our very make up... MEN are made to hunt kill and claim glory beat our chest over the kill and spread our seed where we can. We were born to hunt and track and kill our prey period. Women for the most part are just th opposite as they should be there is nothing wrong with that. But men are continued to be feminized in this modern day covering up generations of genetics these games give our male genes a chance to run wild. Any one who does pvp knows the the rush of an enemy in your area. Do you attack him? or wait ? Maybe he will leave you alone ? many many different decisons to be made all in a spilt second. And lets face we all know that of we make the wrong one the graveyard for rez is near by if we make the wrong choice. The divorce rate in the police or the military is high because of the nature of the real life training and wives have the same compliant. We all know we are not going into combat at least with games we can pretend. Now I will say women who PVP that is HOT and guys who play games love women who PVP.

In addittion any women that may disagree with my previous post think of this... Have you ever been in a car with a guy driving and someone cuts him off on the freeway what happens genetics kick in.

• dustydog33dustydog33 Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by 1pitboss

At the risk of starting a war LOL I will say this .. This goes way beyond a game and this is why women do not understand men. It is in our genes in our very make up... MEN are made to hunt kill and claim glory beat our chest over the kill and spread our seed where we can. We were born to hunt and track and kill our prey period. Women for the most part are just th opposite as they should be there is nothing wrong with that. But men are continued to be feminized in this modern day covering up generations of genetics these games give our male genes a chance to run wild. Any one who does pvp knows the the rush of an enemy in your area. Do you attack him? or wait ? Maybe he will leave you alone ? many many different decisons to be made all in a spilt second. And lets face we all know that of we make the wrong one the graveyard for rez is near by if we make the wrong choice. The divorce rate in the police or the military is high because of the nature of the real life training and wives have the same compliant. We all know we are not going into combat at least with games we can pretend. Now I will say women who PVP that is HOT and guys who play games love women who PVP.

That has to be one of the dumbest and most disturbing things I have ever seen written on any forum ever.  Do you honestly compare being a police officer or being in the military to a VIDEO GAME???  Come on dude, step away from the 'puter for a second, step outside and see the REAL world for just a second.  My guess is the first time someone puts a gun to your head for real you first piss or crap your pants, and second pray to god there is a police officer near by.  I would be willing to bet those are reactions you have never had playing a video game.  We are not cavemen, we do not club women over the head to have our way with them.  Evolve dude.  This is the kind of talk that makes women say men are nothing but a**holes.

PRE CU/NGE SWG dual account holder vet...acct 1 12pt weaponsmith/4404 merchant...Acct 2 Master BH/pistoleer
    Guild Wars, DDO, LOTRO, VCO, DAOC

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011

Originally posted by xplororor

Here is the main link to the story. Just a regular story about how WoW broke up a 6 year marriage:

But below the surface, this quote by her says it all:
    """""I recognized that this was a game that would never end, and that's why I chose not to play it," she said.
    Yet... she is the one who decided to buy it for her husband. LOL! SHE is to blame for her marriage failing, not Blizzard, not WoW.
    What makes this story even crazier... is she used to work for Blizzard.
    But serioiusly, to any women out there, DO NOT buy WoW, or any other mmorpg for your boyfriend, or husband! THINK about whatever present you are buying, RESEARCH whatever present you are buying - aka how you hope they will use it, how they most likely will use it. How you think their use of it will impact on you, and the relationship. If you must buy a computer game, buy a stand alone game. A NON- mmorpg!

Uh, no.

Doesn't matter that she purchased the game for him. It was he who had the problem. It's beyond the pale to make the statement that buying a game for a guy is going to wreck a relatoinship. Not with a healthy adult male.

That said, she is also a bit nuts to state that she is not going to date a man who plays games as not all men are little boys who shirk their responsibilites for a game.

To that end, not all people play games and that includes "young people" whoever those are.

Seriously, have the people on this site lost all grasp of reality? Not all "young" people (or people in general) play games, not all men are little boys. conversely not all women are little girls. Not all men have the desire to hunt and kill.

It's like painting "life" with two colors and not expecting more.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Plus we are born with a joystick lol.

I have to disagree yes we are deep down inside cavemen. We may go to work put on a suit and tie and tell ourselves we are modern man. But deep down we are that caveman that is why there are so many people in prison and that population is not on the decline. Now, I doubt that games are a small small percent of reasons of divorce. However, the rate of divorce and violence is high in police and military families unfortunatly . But the point I was making she said she would never date a gamer and I was just pointing out the difference between men and women and WHY he was addicted to WOW.

• Ita+ChupsIta+Chups Member Posts: 70

Here's a simple rule:

-If you meet someone who plays games and MMO's. You can buy them whatever game you want.

-If you meet someone who doesn't play at all. Realise that when you do buy them a game it will be YOUR fault according to them if they get addicted to it, lol.

In addittion any women that may disagree with my previous post think of this... Have you ever been in a car with a guy driving and someone cuts him off on the freeway what happens genetics kick in.

umm i have seen females with road rage too.  And im sick of people who keep saying males are caveman and dogs and shit.

• CenthanCenthan Member Posts: 483

The divorce article...

Most of the posts in this thread...

These are sad, warped, and very deranged times we live in

The outlook looks dim, the world is in a spin.  I recommend the honorable souls hang on tight to the bars and try not to fly off the ride.  Sit back and enjoy the show as it "struts and frets...and then is heard no more".

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

It is a bit crazy but I know that China actually has clinics dealing with MMORPG (and other internet) addictions.

It is actually not too bad in my family. My wife set the limits (2-3 hrs a night after 9pm on weekdays) and as long as i know it is a game, there is no problem.

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

That's true.  Most videogames are just an outlet for our base instincts.

What always annoys me is women will complain about anything you do without them.  It doesn't matter if it's a videogame or charity work in the inner city, they will feel jealous and threatened if you don't spend most of your freetime joined at the hip with them.  In this case it just happened to be World of Warcraft.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

Wow, I did not know that about china. But is not that where all the gold farmers are at ?? I guess that makes sense then. I have been married to the same woman for 26 years. That is longer than some people who plays games age. If anyone thinks that change does not occur during the course of a relationship is nuts. I will say as an ex WOW player I have often wondered what they do to that game to make it so addicting. I have never felt that same pull with any other game I have played.

• chiegechiege Member Posts: 76

And herein is an example of the kind of people who cannot separate the real world from an online world.  Comparing killing in an mmorpg to the military?  It's freaks like you who neglect their real life friends and family 18 hours a day for an mmorpg, and then freakout and kill theirselves.  Step away from the screen and get rid of that retina screenburn.

• AethiosAethios Member Posts: 1,527

Originally posted by Sovrath
    Uh, no.

Doesn't matter that she purchased the game for him. It was he who had the problem. It's beyond the pale to make the statement that buying a game for a guy is going to wreck a relatoinship. Not with a healthy adult male.
    That said, she is also a bit nuts to state that she is not going to date a man who plays games as not all men are little boys who shirk their responsibilites for a game.
    To that end, not all people play games and that includes "young people" whoever those are.
    Seriously, have the people on this site lost all grasp of reality? Not all "young" people (or people in general) play games, not all men are little boys. conversely not all women are little girls. Not all men have the desire to hunt and kill.
    It's like painting "life" with two colors and not expecting more.

I couldn't agree more. Life is almost never "black and white." Believe it or not, there is still a HUGE chunk of the population who have never heard of WoW at all. In fact, there are still plenty of people who don't even know you can play games online!

That said, I totally agree that this is the guy's problem and not the girl's. She didn't know (and couldn't have known) how he would react to the game, and he should have been mature enough to respect her, especially after 6 years.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Wow, I did not know that about china. But is not that where all the gold farmers are at ?? I guess that makes sense then. I have been married to the same woman for 26 years. That is longer than some people who plays games age. If anyone thinks that change does not occur during the course of a relationship is nuts. I will say as an ex WOW player I have often wondered what they do to that game to make it so addicting. I have never felt that same pull with any other game I have played.

China is a very polarized country. There is about 300M middle class that play games, go to restaurants and essentially live like us. Young people go to internet cafes and play MMORPGs night and day. Addiction has become a huge problem.

OTOH, 80% of the country (it has 1.3B people) are still peasants living in villages and earn very little. So gold farming has become a HUGE industry.

The gold farmers are not the same as the paying customers. Both exists in large numbers in China.

• airheadairhead Member UncommonPosts: 718

Interesting read... but all these stories seem to miss the point a little imo.

These articles all set up the choice between a virtual game world, and the real world. In actuality, I don't think there is a difference between the two. In a virtual world, you are getting input (images, sounds) and making decisions using your brain, and doing things (clicks, commands etc). And you are doing this in concert with and/or against other humans, all doing the same thing.

That activity is not any less real than operating in the real world. It's different, not traditional, sure, but it's not any less real. input-reasoning-response in a social setting... doesn't get much more real than that with any activity we ever do.

Given that, the real choice this guy made was this: He chose to honor his commitments to his friends in a game, to do activities with them, instead of doing things with his mate. He chose his online friends over his wife. The same thing could have happened with some guy addicted to golfing or bowling, choosing those activities over time with his wife.

I think that to setup the problem as game-vs-realworld misses the point. The choice here was online-friends vs wife. He made his choice, so now he gets to live with it.

• SymoneSymone Member Posts: 277

pfffft i wouldn't have met my boyfriend if not for WOW :D

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by Kaiphas

Eventually, the players who prefer the treadmill style 'safely ride to 60 games' will grow weary of grinding and move with the rest of us into the next genre of MMORPGs, that will not require much grind. Every player I've ever known has moved away from grinding over time. It's sort of a mmorpg maturity thing.
    I'm betting we won't have this problem in 2014.
    Ill bet you in 2014 there still will be plenty of mmorpgs outthere who have the grind stuff, you know why?

Becouse plenty like it, maybe you dont like it, but many others love it.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• SharajatSharajat Member Posts: 926

Every story has two sides.  I just got... one. 

Hmm, maybe the husband would like to comment a little? They've been friends since they were 13, they probably dated in high school, and married right out of it, everyone just assumed they'd marry pushing them right into it.  Maybe he honestly thought of her as more of a friend, and just wasn't that romantically interested once the initial hormonal surge faded.  This happens, y'know?  The fact that he's playing less now that they're apart says to me that the game was covering up something that he felt was essentially missing from their marriage.  Now that they're not married, he doesn't need to cover it up anymore, less WoW. 

The game didn't break up the marriage.  Look at that marriage.  High school sweethearts... you know how many of those fail?  So, so many. 

In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own.

-Thomas Jefferson