Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

insufficent information.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

Wow I wish we had cops like that in UK ! We are overun with Yobs,Thugs and out of control teenagers in this country, and we have a Govenment thats too scared to do anything about it. Just this week we had a poor guy beaten and left for dead by out of control teenagers and all did was to try and stop them pissing on his car . That cop should get a promotion ! 

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

That cop did overreact... Addressing someone with "dude" or "man" is no reason to start screaming at someone. The kid was sorry and a bit scared some times, it's not like he was cheeky (is that the word?) to the cop or anything.

Originally posted by Godliest

That cop did overreact... Addressing someone with "dude" or "man" is no reason to start screaming at someone. The kid was sorry and a bit scared some times, it's not like he was cheeky (is that the word?) to the cop or anything.

No he did'nt , kids need to show respect and calling a Policeman dude is out of line.

• hotpiehotpie Member Posts: 191
    Originally posted by summitus

No he did'nt , kids need to show respect and calling a Policeman dude is out of line.

i agree, especially policemen shud be respected.

• Ita+ChupsIta+Chups Member Posts: 70

Jeesh. The only thing the cop had to do is take away his skateboard and tell him he can't skate there.

Although it's not even clear he couldn't from the video.

But jeesh, there's no need to step over the line for that cop and teach a child a lesson. That's what his mom and dad are for. There was no reason to step over that line and start an argument like that.

I'm sure there's better things he could do with his time on the job then jelling at a defenseless child.

Originally posted by Ita+Chups

Jeesh. The only thing the cop had to do is take away his skateboard and tell him he can't skate there.
    Although it's not even clear he couldn't from the video.
    But jeesh, there's no need to step over the line for that cop and teach a child a lesson. That's what his mom and dad are for. There was no reason to step over that line and start an argument like that.
    I'm sure there's better things he could do with his time on the job then jelling at a defenseless child.

Wrong these guys put their lives on the line so people like you can live in relative safety,his parents obviously have failed to teach him to respect authority.

• Keebs1984Keebs1984 Member Posts: 1,356

No it's not. It's slang, deal with it or get the hell out of public service. The police officers are not royalty, and citizens do not have to address them as "sir" or "your highness". They can be addressed as anything that isn't considered a harassment or insult, this constitutes as a 14 year old using slang. Welcome, to the damn English language.

The cop here was very clearly out of line, especially when he tackled the kid. I watched the video twice, and found no justification for what he did. The kid was no sassing the officer, and the kid was not refusing to do what was asked, albiet he was a bit slow, however that's no excuse still.

I do not condone the disrespect of officers. I think that they have a extremely tough job to do, and they aren't paid nearly enough to do it. However, this cop took it out on the wrong kid and as such should be punished. Actually, I think he did get fired. . . which is perhaps a bit harsh.

Eternally mine,
    Keebs

The MMO gaming blog I write for.

Originally posted by Keebs1984

No it's not. It's slang, deal with it or get the hell out of public service. The police officers are not royalty, and citizens do not have to address them as "sir" or "your highness". They can be addressed as anything that isn't considered a harassment or insult, this constitutes as a 14 year old using slang. Welcome, to the damn English language.

The cop here was very clearly out of line, especially when he tackled the kid. I watched the video twice, and found no justification for what he did. The kid was no sassing the officer, and the kid was not refusing to do what was asked, albiet he was a bit slow, however that's no excuse still.

I do not condone the disrespect of officers. I think that they have a extremely tough job to do, and they aren't paid nearly enough to do it. However, this cop took it out on the wrong kid and as such should be punished. Actually, I think he did get fired. . . which is perhaps a bit harsh.

No he was'nt the kid obviously said something inappropriate to the Police officer to get him riled up like he was, what we need is more Police like this and less people , who think disrespect is acceptable.

Wrong these guys put their lives on the line so people like you can live in relative safety,his parents obviously have failed to teach him to respect authority.

Shrug, puts his life on the line?

That doesn't give him the right to yell at a child. No adult should yell at a child who's defenseless like he does. There's no need to ever do that.

That child will not have learned his lesson any better. I'm sure he hates cops now and was embarresed more than anything.

I mean really, if the cop pushed it a bit more he would have had the kid crying. There's no justification to be rude to a child like that, regardless of what the kid did. There's a line you don't cross, especially with kids. I hope he's not a parent.

Second of all, straightening a child out like that is not the right of a police officer, it's for parents to do that. A cop should not decide to take that right upon themselves.

• sqwigginssqwiggins Member Posts: 286

Was he about to say "if I find myself on Youtube..." at the end?

Originally posted by sqwiggins

Was he about to say "if I find myself on Youtube..." at the end?

ya, which begs the assumption that he knew what he was doing was out of line

• oncelovingonceloving Member Posts: 106

That cop should be suspended at the very least and put into an anger management class.  These kids are skateboarding and he goes to tell them to stop.  One of them ignores him and when he does pay attention he calls him dude.  The cop then goes over and throws him on the ground twice and verbally assaults him.  They were not doing anything to hurt anyone and is it any wonder why these kids may not respect him?  He asks them if they are from the county which I am guessing is asking them if they are poor kids.  *sighs

Does remind of this time I called a mall guard a "rent-a-cop".  I swear he had the exact same reaction - the physical violence.  Good times....

• AkunaiAkunai Member Posts: 138

I would have had more respect for the cop if he had done this with a group of gang bangers.  It seems obvious that the cop was having a bad day, I hope, and felt like taking it out on some scrawny kids.  Of course, I'm only assuming he doesn't go around picking on people his own size, for all I know he might.

• AguyAguy Member Posts: 561

Guess what?  Fox news did a story on this!  Cookies to whoever find the link and gives us all a chuckle.

• PraetorianiPraetoriani Member Posts: 1,147

I'm a police officer myself, but I voted that the cop was out of line. Maybe he has his reasons. But still, I'd never treat someone like that. I meet people far more impolite on a daily basis.

Seems like he's overcompensating for wearing that ridiculous uniform and driving that silly car.

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718

Well I don't think a cop should yell at a kid, but I don't think a kid should tape videos of this and put it on youtube when you can just take the evidence to the police. There is a wrong on both sides of this.

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

This is a very interesting incident. I tend to agree with Keebs assessment of the situaion.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

I agree, some kids are way too cocky nowadays.

The Police officer just pushed him around, didn't hurt him.

I think he has done a good job, next time the chap will think twice before calling a police man dude.........he is not your fucking friend, he is just doing his job, show some respect ffs.

• MandarrMandarr Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 300

Although I've always called the police "sir" so I wouldn't get into anymore trouble than I'm alrady in.  (getting speeding tickets and such lol)  Some people are just used to saying "dude" or "man" to the point where it's basicaly their limited vocabulary and so they don't really mean to offend anyone by calling them those names.  This cop went too far, but he doesn't need to be suspended or lose his job for arguing with a kid.  That'd be silly. 

Police may deserve some respect, but they can't force respect.

This website is a safe haven for trolls and haters. I'm done with this pathetic site.

• grimweepergrimweeper Member Posts: 2,047

Originally posted by Praetoriani

I'm a police officer myself, but I voted that the cop was out of line. Maybe he has his reasons. But still, I'd never treat someone like that. I meet people far more impolite on a daily basis.

Seems like he's overcompensating for wearing that ridiculous uniform and driving that silly car.

That cop was definetely out of line, even if the kid disrespects him he should not go and do that, maybe threaten him and tell them not to skate there anymore but definetely not what he did.  Honestly if i was that kid and a police officer asked me to leave i would leave and maybe come back the next day but if an uptight asshole police officer did that to me i would have just kept fucking with him and ran away or attempted to.  Those kids did not disrespect that police officer in any way and even if they did he went way out of line and disrespect is not against the law, insulting a police officer i understand but disrespect means nothing.

P.S it must be hilarious watching a fat fuck like that police officer ride in one of those tiny patrol cars

• ByromByrom Member Posts: 236

As I watch the video, I see the kids were allready told not to skateboard. They then were caught skateboarding again. One kid uses the word dude, and then gets threatened with violence, by the cop.

Where in any penal code, in America, does a police officer have the right to threaten a child with physical violence, for useing the word dude?

He has the right to arrest him, or warn him, but not to threaten violence.

And if you'll listen closely, he is beginning to make another threat, about doing something to the person with the camera.

Arrest them, give them a warning, call their parents, be stern, sure. Do not threaten to physiclly harm a child, that is a felony, or can be enhanced to one, if proven to be true.

This goes to court, and that video becomes evidence. Evidence which the Cop tried to supress.

What other kind of evidence has he tried to supress?

I understand for, Cops, its a very hard job, very stressfull. But there are fine men and woman, who strive to serve their community's everyday, in America. And they dont have to break the law , to do it. The behavior of this officer, undermines, all of the law enforcement community, and it spits in the face of not only, young impressionable people, but in the face of every American life lost to ensure our freedoms and liberties. As well as the lives of Police Officers killed in the line of duty, who were trying to serve and unite their communities, in the fight AGAINST crime.

And now, his actions cant be undone. He just drove that wedge a little deeper, between his Badge and his community. ON VIDEO!!!! ON UTUBE!!!!

• keltic1701keltic1701 Member Posts: 1,162
    Originally posted by Mandarr

Exactly! The one thing that kept going through my mind when I watched this was how embarrased I was, not for the kid but for the cop! It's one thing to be 14 year-old teenager and go all ballistic but to be a grown man and an officer of the law? Someone who is suppose to be a figure of profesionalism and authority? The cop made his point when he pulled the kid to the ground and took the board, but when he came back again and again because a kid called him "dude" is just plain silly on his part. This could have, and should have been handled much better than the cop getting all Joe Stalin on this kid.

• Shifty360Shifty360 Member Posts: 629

That was definately not overreacting. Bravo to that officer for getting things done.

While he was relatively harsh, the skater was being disrespectful, and needed to be put in his place.

I doubt they will have another disagreement the next time the officer says "You cannot skate here."

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by Mandarr

Although I've always called the police "sir" so I wouldn't get into anymore trouble than I'm alrady in.  (getting speeding tickets and such lol)  Some people are just used to saying "dude" or "man" to the point where it's basicaly their limited vocabulary and so they don't really mean to offend anyone by calling them those names.  This cop went too far, but he doesn't need to be suspended or lose his job for arguing with a kid.  That'd be silly. 

I call police officers "mate".............but not when I get caught doing something that I shouldn't, that's the point.

That kid has been told before not to skate, and he kept doing it.

Once you behave like a tard, forget about calling a policemen dude or mate.

Also, where is the violence in there, for christ sake, where is the kick in the ass he deserved? I didn't see it.

If a Police man tell you to do something you do it, end of.

No provoking and no dudes.

Please give a medal to that fat bastard