Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

having uber fun

EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

i started a week ago and already bought the newest expasion ( $40 for all the content released thus far)

playing on nagafen (PvP)

i cant believe how much fun im having.. met some cool people and we mess around on vent and play alot.. anyways i highly suggest this game.. which is wierd cuz im usually against eq clones lol..

but honestly im having fun

Remember Old School Ultima Online

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

EQ2 still has my attention -- I'm going on 10 months now (since I returned and rerolled)

WOW never held my attention longer than 3 months (for any "reroll to 70" episode)

I do not PVP but heres 2 helpful links

SOE PVP forum (with sticky guides)

forums.station.sony.com/eq2/forums/show.m

EQ2Flames PVP forum

www.eq2flames.com/player-vs-player-issues/

• XenduliXenduli Member Posts: 654

Is it true that EQ2 as been dumbed down since the last expansion?

No annoying animated GIF here!

Originally posted by Xenduli

by dumbed down, people mean Kunark caters too much to soloers

all of Level 65+ content,

highly favors Solo Questing for best levelling experience

• XenduliXenduli Member Posts: 654

But this isn't retrospective is it, just for the latest expansion?

No annoying animated GIF here!

correct

• fozzie22fozzie22 Member Posts: 1,003

After playing the game solid for the last 3 years then yes it has been dumbed down,theres no question about that

Now i will say this,the game is much better than when i started playing it back then EoF was a wonderful expansion followed by the very iffy Kunark job thats very solo centric and this has created problems regarding getting groups together for the lower lvl stuff (ie 67-78) after that grouping is viable again but untill then you're pretty much on your own.

And thats the bit i dont like about the "new style" EQ2 in all of the previous expansions there was something for everyone (once you reached the reqired lvl of the first 2 expansions) you could go soloing or just group grind if thats what you wantedd to do,in RoK this latter option has gone and for me at least (as a hardened soloer )find this sad i can but hope that they build it into the next expansion becuase its something thats missing for a lot of people atm

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870

Maybe the lvl 1-20 zone is a little easier and more rewarding then any other starter area but the higher level content im my opinion is definately not dumbed down, in fact its probably the reverse.  While you can do most of the stuff there solo the mobs hit way harder then any other previous zones.

• DrFodDrFod Member Posts: 63

To the hardcore MMOer, EQ2 has indeed been dumbed down but a lot of it was entirely necessary. Few people miss retrieving spirit shards or the crippling shared XP debt. In GU13 where plate wearers took a major hit from the nerf bat, something that naturally upset a lot of players, in reality it was entirely necessary to balance the classes.

Lack of tradeskill sub-combines and the more solo friendly gameplay is more debatable, while this has certainly made the game more casual and accessible, it has lessened the need for you to rely on others to get things done which is arguably what playing MMOs is all about. But if WoW is anything to go by, solo content is king for an MMO. Personally I believe RoK took it too far in the other direction, apart from instances and raiding there is too little group content. The Epic quests have thankfully redressed this somewhat, and It's nice to see lots of people helping others when there is no reward for them to do so.

• fozzie22fozzie22 Member Posts: 1,003

Originally posted by DrFod

To the hardcore MMOer, EQ2 has indeed been dumbed down but a lot of it was entirely necessary. Few people miss retrieving spirit shards or the crippling shared XP debt. In GU13 where plate wearers took a major hit from the nerf bat, something that naturally upset a lot of players, in reality it was entirely necessary to balance the classes.

Lack of tradeskill sub-combines and the more solo friendly gameplay is more debatable, while this has certainly made the game more casual and accessible, it has lessened the need for you to rely on others to get things done which is arguably what playing MMOs is all about. But if WoW is anything to go by, solo content is king for an MMO. Personally I believe RoK took it too far in the other direction, apart from instances and raiding there is too little group content. The Epic quests have thankfully redressed this somewhat, and It's nice to see lots of people helping others when there is no reward for them to do so.
    Great post and i agree with you 100% (though i do miss the spirit shards..but hey thats me).

Of course the game needed to soften itself up if it didnt there would have been far less players than there are now,but RoK took the game in for me at least a worrying direction there was far too much solo content in it and it was way to linear to get to lvl 80 they took the variety out of the game with this expansion and for me at least its a crying shame..it could have been a killer expansion but in the end it ended up a shallow and very buggy one instead.

We can only hope they get the balance right for next november when the next pack comes along with both group and solo content..and we can but hope they've sorted the myriad of bugs that are infesting the game at this present time in the meantime.

• openedge1openedge1 Member Posts: 2,582

Agree with the UBER fun part..

The game has grown leaps and bounds beyond it's beginnings, and just feels better as I continue..

After getting bored with WoW, and almost quitting MMO's entirely due to the debacle that is LOTRO, I for one am glad that I decided to try a final time with EQ2...

6 + months, and no turning back...having the time of my life

Later

• Rott23Rott23 Member UncommonPosts: 56

I loved EQ2 when I played it, I just found it really difficult to get groups together during the hours I was able to play (11pm-2am pacific time)

Sure there were people on, but they were usually people who were only going to be on for a little while, and never long enough for anything substantial.  I think the gameplay is great tho, and would love to go back if I knew there was a considerable increase in population around those hourse :)