Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long wil WoW last?

pingopingo Member UncommonPosts: 608

I saw this post on the beta boards and it made me think! You can read the hole part here if u want: http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?fn=wow-general&t=161975&p=1#post161975

But what really caught my eye was this: "So now my question lies at this. What else does the game have to offer when I max my characters level at? What else can I do in this game? Don't go off saying that I should be go fishing or leveling my skills up. No that is not an acceptable form of fun. This game is just like Diablo and is based on the satisfaction of leveling your character up from 0-*. "

Is this true? When all quests are done and stuff is it just it.. delete yout account and move on to the next MMO?:(

How did people stick with games like EQ and UO for 4-5 years? I really wanna stick with a MMO this long through good and bad times, but I dont like the idea of having nothing to do besides lvl my character and thats it..

I like to PvP, but I doubt it will be enouge in the long run? I hope he is wrong though!

Other posts in the same topic are suggesting that WoW has nothing new and its just add to something that has already been done before! I hope its not true!

-pingo

Comments

• LugnardLugnard Member Posts: 474

First off, Blizzard has yet to release details on what exactly they're planning but for sure, there's going to be tons of options for end game. Life/Epic quests, AvH combat (Battlegrounds, PvP, etc.), Hero classes, Raids, World events, secret areas to find and explore, unlockables (Opening of the Dark Portals).

Also don't forget, Blizzard has stated numerous times that they'll have free monthly updates (almost expansion worthy amounts), GM run events (Halloween festivles, Warcraft Specific holidays were some examples they explained), expansions (giving more classes, races, quests, zones, etc.)

Trust me, this game is going to last for a LONG time and shouldn't be compared to Diablo 2 at all. Although they share some similarities, it's quite clear that WoW is gonna be huge and will definetely be here in the long term for sure.

• pingopingo Member UncommonPosts: 608

Hi - Mate thats very comforting! Me = image you!

´Sounds very neat...

But what do people who have played EQ and UO for 4-5 years do? What do they do after all does years to keep them entertained?:o

• AnnekynnAnnekynn Member Posts: 1,437

Every mmrpg runs into similar problems when you max out your character and get to the 'well what now' point. Its then upto the devs to release new content in an adequate period of time to keep people interested. In WoW, once you max out your char and get bored, youre welcome to start another character with a different class in the opposite faction and get a considerably different gaming experience. Eventually free expansions and retail expansions aswell as new level caps will further extend the gameplay. If you dont rush through the game, and are patient for the updates/expansions, you can play mmrpgs for years on end.

--------------------------------------
    Played: AC1, DAoC, E&B, SWG
    Tested: AC1, AC2, DAoC, Eve, Planetside, Rubies, Lineage 2, MU Online

• gargantroogargantroo Member Posts: 1,477

Well, what keeps us UO players and EQ players is simple (i am a uo and once an eq player)

Firstly, leveling your characters on EQ and UO are only starting the game off, they are not the game. Aka, you have something to look forward to when your high level. UO has housing, that is a huge factor, plus the jobs are original. The EM quests, pvp, all of that is something to do once you've finished your character. On Final Fantasy XI, you level your character and the game ends. Also, on Ultima Online you can wear and equip anything at any level, as long as you have enough strength to equip it. UO is the most customizeable MMORPG. There are too many factors to why UO kept me for 5 years, I dont have time to list them all.

Ultima Online- Apoc
    Final Fantasy XI Online- Nabara
    World of Warcraft- (Coming soon :P)

i play on australian servers because racism is acceptable there
  • JutsuJutsu Member Posts: 264

As Romulus said... "WoW isn't finished =)" I agree with him... start asking questions when the released version of the game is out... try it.... dont like it... then leave.. that simple.. but if your a real MMORPG you'd want to stick with the game like glue... they will put more content in during beta-released version..

Keep your opinions after released game is out imageimageimageimageimage

(o'.')--------oo----('.'o)

(o'.')--------oo----('.'o)

• LoStCaUz3LoStCaUz3 Member Posts: 1,154

This game is going to last as long as the fans want it to. I don't really understand what all he was saying, but I do understand how a game in beta can get people down if they play it too much. I know for the few betas I have been in, I got the feeling that I was playing the completed game and I just sat back and said "Wow...that was it." Because I got in the mind frame that I was playing a complete game and when I was done playing it, I didn't even want to play release.

I don't know why, but that has turned me away from a small number of games. Other betas just sucked so bad that I didn't even play them for a whole day and I just didn't even think about the game. I hope neither of these is the case for WoW. I want to like this game, but some times it seems a little hard. Between the b.net forums and all of the flamers I have run across who are "fans" of this game, sometimes I am not too sure I want to play it.

But I have stuck with it, even when Blizzard has done some things I don't believe was best for the game. And I think it will pay off when Blizzard releases the complete product. If that means that I don't play beta just to save the feeling of playing this game, then so be it.

People don't seem to understand that every game, even MMO's have endings. And when I think of an ending, I think of it this way: The end of the game is when the storyline is over. So when the storyline is done with, the producers need to think of something to add to keep the customer playing this game.

This is where Raids and PvP comes into play. When you are done with the storyline, you can go test your character physically against other characters.

Also, what the guy said about Tradeskills. I thought it would be like that. I hoped someone would release more information on it and he did just that. Maybe this will capture the eye of the Blizzard employees and they will do something to fix it.

• My guess is the same as every other MMORPG, it will startout thick and then end up like two-three months later the War3 people quitting for other free games, the casual gamer bored. Guild based player communitys will probally last for the faction combat on the regular servers. But I dont really see a good community coming out of World of Warcraft since they have so many younger and immature gamers testing and soon to be retail. The communitys the only gripe I have about World of Warcraft never seen so many needless or senceless posts on an offical beta board.

• VakktnVakktn Member Posts: 746

Originally posted by enemymind

My guess is the same as every other MMORPG, it will startout thick and then end up like two-three months later the War3 people quitting for other free games, the casual gamer bored. Guild based player communitys will probally last for the faction combat on the regular servers. But I dont really see a good community coming out of World of Warcraft since they have so many younger and immature gamers testing and soon to be retail. The communitys the only gripe I have about World of Warcraft never seen so many needless or senceless posts on an offical beta board.

Eh get used to it.... MMOs are getting very popular now with the younger generation... SWG sparked alot of younger interest and WoW will just increase that. MMOs arent just for adults anymore there will be immature  players in any game you play. WoW will last as long as they keep the content fresh and new every month and have special events/ storyline related things each patch. If they put things off like SWG did then it will tank and tank fast. But I have faith in Blizzard and I believe they will make a great game that I will continue to play for a long long time.

---------------------------------

"Those who brake the ninja code and rules of this world are called trash. But you know what? Those who don't take care of their comrades are even lower than trash." - Hatake Kakashi

• pingopingo Member UncommonPosts: 608

I am only 17, but I can perfectly clear see why a 35 year old, or maybe a 40+ year old would not like to play or be in guild with youngsters. It does got nothing to do with age itself, or skin color or religion, but age is something that can make people become aware of special intrests of the same kind. 35 year old man to 39 year old gay: "You got a kid mate?" - And then the other replys "yeah two girls!" - And then they suddenly got a common intrest they can talk about while hunting! Role playing is not for everyone, and I think it will help make a good social experience if people can somehow identify with each other and find others of same intrests and age. Younger people would probably be more intrested in talking about school or girls.. Or stuff like that. I know at least i am.

Im not saying that age groups should be seperated or anything like that, im just saying I respect older peoples reasoning for wanting to play with people at their own age! I know there was allot of that in SWG!

We change with age, and somehow I think it is easy to relate to people at our own age, because we change over time. I know there are allot of mature youngsters and allot of old idiots, but still.

Maybe their will be some sort of filter for people to find each other.

I would hate to see only youngsters playing.

I for one admire older and experienced people from a community point of view, from my past experiences in MMOs, and I don't think WoW will be any exception.

If the game will be full of guilds like DIE, that just wants to ruin it for the rest of us, I dont think this game can survive nomatter how much great content their is:( See more here about DIE: http://www.rpgforums.net/showthread.php?p=2360433#post2360433

GMs cant fix everything. Though I think there will be just as many young people going to play EQ2! But also more older EQ fans!

• VakktnVakktn Member Posts: 746

Originally posted by pingo

If the game will be full of guilds like DIE, that just wants to ruin it for the rest of us, I dont think this game can survive nomatter how much great content their is:( See more here about DIE: http://www.rpgforums.net/showthread.php?p=2360433#post2360433

ROFL if you dont wanna deal with griefers and morons like clan DIE dont play on the pvp server. Most of the "Asshole" clans will be on the PvP server cuz thats what they do.... they piss people off and get enjoyment out of it. Trust me I know I used to be in one of those clans(And that clan will be playing WoW on a PvP server) =P

---------------------------------

"Those who brake the ninja code and rules of this world are called trash. But you know what? Those who don't take care of their comrades are even lower than trash." - Hatake Kakashi

• Well the community makes everything of a game it can be its downfall as well, I reallly hope that the community isnt going to be the downfall of this game like how its the factor that actually encouraged people to stay in Starwars Galxies, or Everquest. This is blizzards first attempt at this gerne , and the bnet community type just isnt encouraged in MMORPG, and I dout Blizzard will even care due to the fact they will bring in alot of money even if the games not fully developed. There is a big leap from the average RTS,FPS server seasons to a server world constantly going people remeber your actions, which is what will cause people not to stay within the game structure.

Sure this game will be great just cause its new graphics you havnt seen or new classes and monsters. But dont say the games going to be great just because its a Blizzard title. Remeber in the end its a copy of a copy thats a copy, which will always be used.

• zeroskaterzeroskater Member Posts: 176

diablo was a game where you had to level up to get anywhere but it also wasnt a mmorpg .... personnally i wont be aiming to max out my character and i think that anyone whos sole aim is to max out their character should stop and have some fun at the lower levels rather than spending all the time useing the game like a level grind .. their will be many things to do as blizzard have stated likke the updates and monthly events . go exploreing and look around and do the quests etc rather than running a race to see how fast you can hit the max lv . people who do this to anygame find that a games life span wears extremely thin after a very short time and should be playing other types of games .... other wise they have the fun of the game taken away !

1,2 buckle my shoe 3,4 knock on the door 5,6 pick up sticks
    7,8 GO AND SKATE !

without life we'd be dead.