Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Poll on WaR

The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

Comments

• DreamagramDreamagram Member Posts: 798

With the hype that internet forums manage to create by themselves for anything that resembles greener grass, no game can do anything but flop. :p

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Originally posted by solareus

Originally posted by Dreamagram

With the hype that internet forums manage to create by themselves for anything that resembles greener grass, no game can do anything but flop. :p

I did laugh out loud . It is almost in a games best interest to stay out of the scope of speculation, rumor and hype until the day of its release.

Yes because that is doing SO well for Darkfall.

lol

Hype is both a blessing and a curse.

You have to build hype to have a solid release (no one will pre-order / buy it if you have no hype), you have to build hype in order to get publishers and a solid financial backing (who will pay for it unless you have a product people are interested in), you can't build TOO much hype because you'll end up shooting yourself in the foot (look at Vanguard, hyped as the 2nd coming and look what happened.)

Look at Vanguard and look at Darkfall. Both failed or are failing because either they're uber hyped to death or not enough buzz so people cry vaporware.

As with all things in life, you need balance.

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515

Lets just say that a game like Darkfall is more likely to fail that WAR after all WAR already has a premade fan base and WAR is already in BETA unlike Darkfall.

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Yup it's gonna flop, not that I hate WAR or anything like that but seriously, when you try to compete with WOW you are headed for an epic failure.  From what we have seen there hasn't been anything majorly impressive about this game at all. The graphics and gameplay we have seen this far have been just average at best. If people think things are drastically going to change upon release, think again.  

Mythic isn't even a proven mmo developer. They made DAOC which was just average and was only great to a small group of diehards, nothing more. Now all of a sudden because they are making WAR people seem to think  they can do no wrong.  I also believe that this game will get pushed back again because they don't want to release anywhere near AOC, not that  I thnk AOC will be much better but going head to head with AOC would be bad.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,823

Too much hype then bad of word of mouth can kill a game

No hype then good word of mouth will elevate a game

If the game is actually good then it will find it's audience eventually. It worked for Eve.

• EphimeroEphimero Member Posts: 1,860

I guess it will do well, there are many fanbois just from the IP who will keep going and some others who will be forced to do so (clans etc).

It won't be a revolution though, just another in the released games list here on our left.

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811

with the crowd that WaR is hooking , I think it will lead the game to failure. Think with games that are based on IP's it is the best interest to stay with in the elements of the initial crowd, I see WaR trying to spread it's self to thin to try in hit to many markets instead of focusing on on niche, and then branching out. It just looks like a game with no roots...

EVERYBODY is trying to be the next WOW, or close to it. Blizzard makes 13€ x 8.000.000 = 104 milion euros every month. (can that be??). So... everyone wants a cut of that, or all the cake, and if it goes through wowificating your game a bit, or a lot, so be it.

• TrollstarTrollstar Member Posts: 332

I have kept my expectations at a reasonable level, hence I chose "maybe."

Who can tell until they get a chance to get behind the controls and give it a trial.  Sure, I loved DAOC, but that's not really any indicator that this game will be good.  (Remember, Mythic also designed Imperator, and we know how that turned out)

I'll wait and see, I've learned my lesson and I won't hold any high hopes for a game until its released and I get to play it.

Who the hell are you, and why should I care?
    Congrats! You are a victim of Trollstar!

• VincenzVincenz Member Posts: 1,498

I think the problem both WAR and AoC are going to have are all the quite prolific posters who have publicly shunned all other MMO's for going on a year in anticipation of these games.  They're already bitter from not playing any MMO for so long (as can be seen in many of the "WAR will crush carebears and WoW kiddies!" type posts), and if you combine "prolific" and "bitter" with "disappointment" you end up with such a rage fest directed at those games it will seriously damage their launch.

p.s. for frame of reference, see Vanguard.

• XenduliXenduli Member Posts: 654

Originally posted by altairzq

with the crowd that WaR is hooking , I think it will lead the game to failure. Think with games that are based on IP's it is the best interest to stay with in the elements of the initial crowd, I see WaR trying to spread it's self to thin to try in hit to many markets instead of focusing on on niche, and then branching out. It just looks like a game with no roots...

EVERYBODY is trying to be the next WOW, or close to it. Blizzard makes 13€ x 8.000.000 = 104 milion euros every month. (can that be??). So... everyone wants a cut of that, or all the cake, and if it goes through wowificating your game a bit, or a lot, so be it.

The term WoW clone is heavily used and abused. I don't believe that "EVERYBODY is trying to be the next WOW". Other companies companies aspire to be as successful as WoW, but if someone knew why WoW was successful in the first place then they would be more successful already. It is impossible to predict trends.

Blizzard themselves had NO IDEA that WoW would be so dominant, they hoped they would meet 1 million subscribers, but were realistic in their estimations. Hence the complaints about queues and lags after launch.

Blizzard does NOT make '13€ x 8.000.000 = 104 milion euros every month'. For one thing there are 10 million subscribers worldwide, divided up into "2 million subscribers in Europe, more than 2.5 million in North America, and approximately 5.5 million in Asia. " All the Asian players effectively rent the game because their model is odd to say the least. Revenue is over $1 billion a year. About half, yes 50% is used to run the behemoth. Servers, administration, bandwidth. This thing is scarily huuuge. Aside from that altairzq [post] makes no sense, even forgiving the bad grammar.

No annoying animated GIF here!

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Define flop. LOTRO isn't even close to having the huge number of subscribers WoW has yet I wouldn't consider calling that a flop. I would say WAR may turn into a quite nice game with a community that, while not even comparable to WoW's, is large enough for the game to keep on going and be kept updated. If you call that a flop or not I don't know.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

No real reason to use the term WoW clone.

Even if a game is a:

1) EQ Clone

2) WoW clone

etc..

That doesn't mean it can't be a "good" game.. or .. the fact WoW would be an EQ/Previous level based game clone.  From the business standpoint it did everything better.. including subscriber base.

The only thing that matters in terms of this poll.. is after this game is released.. how well does it do.

Which really can't be answered at this time.

I have a personal point of view on this but I don't think this is the time to share it.

So I'm just going to stand by the.. we can't tell until it launches story.

• HousamHousam Member Posts: 1,460

war will not flop imo...for many reasons...some being the fact that its warhammer....it has a good team behind it.....they have over half a million players in closed beta which is more than some games have had in full rlease....it has alot of good and unique gamplay aspects :)

• LiquidWolfLiquidWolf Member CommonPosts: 516
    Originally posted by Housam

war will not flop imo...for many reasons...some being the fact that its warhammer....it has a good team behind it.....they have over half a million players in closed beta which is more than some games have had in full rlease....it has alot of good and unique gamplay aspects :)

I think that half a million players you are referring to is probably the number of applicants, which is an amazing thing in itself.

• HousamHousam Member Posts: 1,460
    Originally posted by LiquidWolf

Originally posted by Housam

I think that half a million players you are referring to is probably the number of applicants, which is an amazing thing in itself.

oh..ya it is...sorry....hehe :) is 584704 to be precise :)

• SpiritofGameSpiritofGame Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Couldn't we just go back to the semi-weekly polls on:

Order or Destruction?

and

Stealth ... Good or Bad?

~ Ancient Membership ~

• ShamiusShamius Member Posts: 99

WAR will not flop, period. Tons of people will play this game adn get addicted to the RvR... I know I will!

• Vortex500Vortex500 Member Posts: 392

Sadly, after being burned by so many mmorpgs, the last two years, I really can't say "No" with a honest face. I really had my hopes up for Vanguard too and ...well the release was a disaster. Would love for WAR to be a success, but if it flops.. it flops. And then on to next game...hmm.. or I will give up mmorpgs.

If it succeed, I will play it until they come and put a straitjacket on me.

If it flops I will sing this song. www.youtube.com/watch

The Second Day Vet

• xzevexzeve Member Posts: 182

im sure WAR is gonna be a succes. Alot of my rl friends, ppl i know from school, and even some of my guldies gonna switch to WAR. I cant imagine, that its only ppl from my town that gonna play WAR =) also the amount of applicants for the beta is huge, the videos i have seen so far seems great etc. Im pretty sure that WAR gonna steal some ppl from other popular mmorpg´s, and i hope it will be a fresh rush to the mmo industry ;)

• greenstumpsgreenstumps Member Posts: 250

I reckon it'll disappoint anyone whose looking for something different from other mmorpg but for people who like the current format and just want more focus on PVP then it should be great for them depending on how fun the combat is.

• elvenangelelvenangel Member Posts: 2,205

Originally posted by greenstumps

I reckon it'll disappoint anyone whose looking for something different from other mmorpg but for people who like the current format and just want more focus on PVP then it should be great for them depending on how fun the combat is.
    And this is why other posters constantly give you a hard time greenstumps.  I'd explain what I mean if I didn't think it'd get me a warning for being mean.

WAR may not be some super innovation like AoC or other games in the past have claimed to be but it is offering alot of things that no other game currently is and in a way that isn't favorable to one type of gamer over the other.  Will it work out? I dont know but I certaintly hope so and I believe so.    

Please Refer to Doom Cat with all conspiracies & evil corporation complaints. He'll give you the simple explination of..WE"RE ALL DOOMED!