Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

me again (gaming rig)

HousamHousam Member Posts: 1,460

ok so i got the money for my gaming rig a little early so il be ordering my parts next week.....

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium x64Bit OEM 1PK DVD

ASUS P5K-E/WIFI-AP AiLifestyle Series P35 Socket 775 Socket eSATA 8 channel Audio ATX Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping (2.4GHz 1066MHz) Socket 775 L2 8MB Cache (2x4MB (4MB per core pair) Retail Boxed Processor

2 x Western Digital WD3200AAKS 320GB SATAII 16MB Cache 7200 RPM - OEM

2 x OCZ 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 CL 4-4-4-15 PLATINUM XTC with LIFETIME WARRANTY

Zalman CNPS 9700 LED Socket 754, 940, 775, 939 & AM2 CPU cooler

Point Of View 8800GTX 768MB GDDR3 Dual DVI TVO PCI-E Graphics Card

Corsair TX 750W PSU - 120mm Fan, 80+% Efficiency, Single +12V Rail

LiteOn 20X SATA DVD±RW/RAM With Beige, Black & Silver Bezel + Nero - Retail

Samsung SM2032BW 20"TFT Monitor Widescreen 1680x1050 3000:1 300cd/m2 2ms VGA/DVI-D Glossy Black 3 Years Warrany

Saitek Eclipse Keyboard - USB

Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse USB/PS/2 - Black

Thermaltake Soprano VB1000SWS Silver Mid-Tower Case with Side Window - No PSU

£1165 total

so anything i should change ..... thx :)

Comments

• xxthecorexxxxthecorexx Member Posts: 1,078

nice build.

just a couple of comments..

since you're using vista 64bit, were you planning on adding more ram later ?

i'm assuming you're intending on oc'ing the piss outta the Q6600, the CNPS 9700 is a very nice cooler, i have one as well, they're VERY nice looking, but their cooling performance may not be quite up to par with the oc'ing limits of the Q6600. (if you DO get this cooler.. be careful the fins on this puppy are NASTY sharp)

on the eclipse 2. i LOVE this keyboard. i just recently swapped it out for the Merc Stealth on a whim and i really like that keyboard as well, the lighting on the merc stealth is quite a bit brighter than on the eclipse and there's no lighting bleed thru from between the keys. the only downfall i see of the stealth if the odd ball keyset, it takes a little getting use to but it's very functional.

• oakaeoakae Member UncommonPosts: 344

I would just wait a month or 2 for the new Q9450. It's supposed to go for $316 and it will be faster, run cooler than the Q6600 and overclock higher.

• Varlok91Varlok91 Member Posts: 396

I'd get the new 3870 X2 over the GTX since it is pretty much even (if not more powerful) with an ultra and costs less than a GTX.

--------------------------------
    Desktop - AMD 8450 Tri Core, 3 gigs of DDR2 800 RAM, ATI HD 3200 Graphics, Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
    Laptop (Dell Latitude E6400) - Intel P8400, 2 GIGs of RAM, Intel X4500, Windows XP Professional

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Nice rig. I'd add more ram if you're gonna run x64 though.

D.

• TrentasyTrentasy Member Posts: 22

u just wanted to post this to show off what ur gonna get -.- lucky sob

• HousamHousam Member Posts: 1,460

thx for the help guys :) do i really need more than 4gb of ram??????????? ahh

and ya iv decided to get the ati 3870x2 :)

• Varlok91Varlok91 Member Posts: 396

4 GB is more than adequate to do everything.

--------------------------------
    Desktop - AMD 8450 Tri Core, 3 gigs of DDR2 800 RAM, ATI HD 3200 Graphics, Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
    Laptop (Dell Latitude E6400) - Intel P8400, 2 GIGs of RAM, Intel X4500, Windows XP Professional

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

Have you thought of investing in a 64GB Ram system with 4 seperate processors?  Cause 1 Quad core might not be enough to render out complex simulation algorythms in todays leading VR simulations for the Air Force.  You might wanna think about the advantage of 16 cores.

Varlok91: thx :)

Sharne :probably :)

CleffyII: em no...i dont think there is any game that need 16 cores.....i think yout joking righ...................

• leverloosleverloos Member Posts: 3

EQ 2 will probably run at max settings. atleast I hope for you if it runs on 64 bit vista that is.

Originally posted by leverloos

EQ 2 will probably run at max settings. atleast I hope for you if it runs on 64 bit vista that is.

it will :) alot of people on the eq2 forum have vista 64bit and can play
  • QazeQaze Member Posts: 247

Get a faster HDD and a decent mouse.

Qaze - Atheist, Nihilist, Sadist.
    WinRAR.rar
    Mudkip Video

image Xfire= Qaze3000 - Add me if you're not a total retard.

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

Get the Saitek Eclipse II.  I have the Saitek Eclipse which is an awesome keyboard, but the Eclipse II improves on some of the minor problems with the keyboard.

Also rescently I got the new ABS Tagan 800w power supply for $230.  It looks really cool and comes with 6 12v rails at 20 amps each. 

With the Ram you might wanna get the OCZ Reaper Edition.  They cost about the same, have the same timing, but come with a cool looking heat pipe.  They probably cool better too.

You might wanna Full Tower instead of a Mid Tower just for the room.

With your hard drives, you can get a single 10k RPM disk or 1 SSD disk that will run fast but cost alot.  Or you can buy 2 of the same hard disk for cheaper and run them in RAID for a faster speed.  However running them in a RAID setup poses hard drive failure problems and you may want a 3rd disk for storage.