Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Intel Q6600 Quad core

DarksixDarksix Member UncommonPosts: 140

Hello everyone, I just orderd the Intel Quad Core Q6600 2.4Ghz processor. Anyone own one of these? From what I have read it seems to be a decent cpu for its price.  Im hoping it will run AOC and next gen games at high graphic settings with decent fps. I also have a Gforce 8600gt 512mb video card with 2 gigs ddr2 ram. I chose this over a AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Dual core 2.6ghz +.  If anyone owns either one please feel free to comment on your gaming exp with it.  Thanks

(PC Specs)
AMD Phenom II 965 3.4 Quad
8GB G-skill Ripjaw 1600mhz
Nvidia Geforce GTX 470 1280mb
Windows 7 64 bit

Comments

• talismen351talismen351 Member Posts: 1,124

From what I have read n been told quad core is overkill for gaming. I understand that quad is great if you are heavy into designing 3d graphics or somethin like so. But for gaming, I have Intel dual E6750 2.66Ghz, 8800GTS 640MB n I can run any current game on max settings without any issues. And I imagine that won't change much for a couple years or till it is time to buy a new one.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

Id voted for the $100 dollar one but really you should get an intel just not that one.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• Varlok91Varlok91 Member Posts: 396

Either CPU will be fine, of course a quad will be more powerful, but whats really going to limit your performance is your graphics card. An 8600GT isn't very good.

--------------------------------
    Desktop - AMD 8450 Tri Core, 3 gigs of DDR2 800 RAM, ATI HD 3200 Graphics, Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
    Laptop (Dell Latitude E6400) - Intel P8400, 2 GIGs of RAM, Intel X4500, Windows XP Professional

• oakaeoakae Member UncommonPosts: 344

If it was just choosing CPUs I would get the q6600. But since you want to run new games on high settings I would buy a cheaper CPU like the AMD 5000+ and get a nvidia 8800gt.

• rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468

I bought one recently because I had to rebuild part of my pc(mobo, cpu, video card, ram) because my P4 died on me.  I am absolutely loving the performance boost, granted its a huge upgrade from a P4 3.2 ghz, 1 gig ram, 7600 gs agp to the 6600, 4 gig ram, and an ATI hd3870.  From what I've researched, the quad core capabilities aren't as relevant in gaming as it is in multimedia editing applications which was one of my primary motivations for doing an almost complete rebuild.  Its very well priced and you can't really go wrong with it, though you might be better off going for a faster dual core processor if all you are into is games.

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

I'm cheap.  I would go with the ATI 5000+.  Infact when I did a minor upgrade to my PC a month or 2 ago, I got an ATI 5000+ Black Edition.

• xxthecorexxxxthecorexx Member Posts: 1,078

overclock the shit outta that Q6600 and it's worth every dime.

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258
    Im getting the Q6600 my self as well here soon. It maybe true that all 4 cores might not be used but thats only because games might only be dual threaded. But there are 20 or so games that are out or going to be out that use all 4 cores.

But all the game developers have to do is go in and redo the code and ban u have 4 cores utilized. While it is harder to code muliple threads but it will make the game run hella smoother. Its just developers dont have the money to do it or are just lazy.

Im all for embracing new technology.
  • CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

Not really.  It probably takes more time programming a game to run within 1 thread then making many many threads of any possible task you need done.  I really don't see the challenge in making a new game run off an infinite number of threads that the game reads the system to determine the quantity.  You just program in a sort of "Task Manager" within the game that sends tasks to be executed by certain thread.

• zyprezzzyprezz Member Posts: 7

well first off the cpu is only affecting your preformance by a small marginan compared to a grapichs card once you hit the recomended CPU speed for a game you wont feel the cpu's power that much the same goes for ram once your game have around 1gb free ram (for most games now) then you wont feel the diffrence the only way to realy influence the fps is the grapich card Tomshardware recommends a 8800GT/8800GTX card for a person who dosent play in settings over 19xx/1xxx modes and the new ATI 3870x2 for players who play in settings above that if you got the powersupply to run it 2x8800GT cards cost 100 dollers more then one of the ATI cards

but i can say im a fan of the way intell quad cores work and i recently bourgt one my self just a healty warrning to you if you decide to clock it hardware tends to break alot faster when its been tampered with im not saying it will break right away but  there is a chance you will decrese its lifespan