Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

mmorpg.com fails

It just does is so many ways. Ever since the site got revamped a couple of years ago, it's all gone downhill.

It's just a crossroads in a mmorpgers life and like barrens chat can be full of retards at time, other times not so much.

No annoying animated GIF here!

Comments

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

well I belive the community is going downhill and not mmorpg.com itself. There is to much fanboi V Haters discussion going with are leading to nowhere and a lot of people seem to be not respecting other peoples opinions.

One example is the constant discussion about SoE and SWG. These discussion are constantly litterly the same and no-one seems to be really reading what someone else wrote of neither side. This however happens in a lot of forum parts, for example Darkfall, with is an game not even released.

• XenduliXenduli Member Posts: 654

Maybe it's the mmorpg's themsleves. There is just so many of them, too many companies following a trend rather than making a trend. I remember a time when a game would end up in a bargain bin and just forgotten about. Mind you I remember 5 1/4" floppies and loading games with a cassette tape. Now that was piracy hahaha.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Downfall started to happen last year - around spring time.

I have been very active member for over 4 years now. And can clearly feel the subtle changes.

I really think mmorpg.com should try to repair the situation.

Perhaps bit more focus on actually writting about games, exclusive information...news

• XenduliXenduli Member Posts: 654

There are a lot more mmorpg review sites like this one, they've sprung up all over. Does this site even have an RSS feed on your favourite mmo, I can't see one? Hmmm.

• sadnebulasadnebula Member UncommonPosts: 263

Got to agree on this one.  It's getting to Feel like a bulletin board for publishers to spam their wares on. Rather like mmorpg. com is just along for the ride.

• greenstumpsgreenstumps Member Posts: 250

Well ever since the fall of SWG back in 2005 we all flocked to these boards to hate on everything.

• ryotianryotian Member Posts: 138

This site is by far more organized and much better run then any other mmorpg site I've seen. Also one of best overall gaming sites on the web. I could name a few crappy drama filled sites like f13.net, evil, etc where you see corrupt staff have more posts then any member where no company in their right mind would ever support. This one is ran very smoothly and receives lotsa support from game companies. I'd much rather have a site show me ads then beg me for money.

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741

This site remains to be the same as it always has been, the premier site for information and discussion relating to all things MMORPG.   The have been adding new features and beefing up functionality over the last year or two, and I know for a fact, this site is often read by developers.  If anything has gone downhill, it is definitely the genre as a whole as we have not seen a legitimate AAA MMO come out in over two years, but hopefully 2008 will be the year it turns around.

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

I'm just here for the forums anyway. Just like everywhere nowadays on the Internet you come across stupid people, they are taking over the world!

• PonicoPonico Member UncommonPosts: 650

If you think MMORPG is going downhill then how about you do yur part and make it a better place for everyone? I like MMORPG and everytime I have a chance, I try to write a good post reply or write a nice blog.

If everyone took a moment to just do something constructive, MMORPG could quickly become the only reference on the web.

• CaesarsGhostCaesarsGhost Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

I wouldn't get too insanely discouraged, it comes and goes in waves, just like it does on IGN or any other Forum set.

At some point everybody will filter out and get their fix instead of hang out on the Forums, and the post quality will change (in either direction).

In 2004 the Pub was littered with EQ2 and WoW posts.  2005 it was littered with DnL posts.  2006 I actually don't remember what the big thing was, I think it was Vanguard.  2007 was a rather stale hype year, people did alot of hype for many games that year... none really stand out.

Occassionally you'll find somebody who writes extremely well thought out posts and blogs.  I, myself, am a huge fan of where I see Beatnik59 post.  I'll always take the time to sit down and read his page long post, because I find them articulate and informative, but yet opinionated.

I believe I tried to use a good quote on the left hand under my name that somebody said to me at GDC when I worked for Rapid Reality.  It was so insane and insightful that it stuck, what I left out is that "the average user who takes one of those sides often causes problems and flames the otherside, turning a thread into a name calling situation powered by the safety and anonimity of the Internet."

So - I'd reccomend just taking a deep breathe and relaxing.  There are good posters here on MMORPG.com, and there are bad posters.  It's just like anything else in life.  Recognise the ones you like, ignore the ones you don't.

- CaesarsGhost

Lead Gameplay and Gameworld Designer for a yet unnamed MMO Title.
    "When people tell me designing a game is easy, I try to get them to design a board game. Most people don't last 5 minutes, the rest rarely last more then a day. The final few realize it's neither fun nor easy."

• 28days28days Member Posts: 213

Originally posted by greenstumps

Well ever since the fall of SWG back in 2005 we all flocked to these boards to hate on everything.

lol

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012

Originally posted by Xenduli

There are a lot more mmorpg review sites like this one, they've sprung up all over. Does this site even have an RSS feed on your favourite mmo, I can't see one? Hmmm.

There are 3 RSS feeds on this page right now if you use firefox you can see the RSS button. As well as each game having there own RSS feed too, so there is quite a large number of RSS feeds.

News

http://rss.mmorpg.com/rss/mmorpg_news_rss.xml

Video's

http://rss.mmorpg.com/rss/mmorpg_videos_rss.xml

Blogs

http://rss.mmorpg.com/rss/mmorpg_blogs_rss.xml

• LazzerusLazzerus Member Posts: 99

I have been hanging around this site for awhile and I really do not think its the site that has gone down hill.  I think its the mmo industry that has gone down hill within the last year or so.  I know a lot of people who aren't really playing anything right now and just waiting around for something great to come, and nothing has yet.

My opinion matters to everyone...

• EraserheadEraserhead Member UncommonPosts: 343

The site overall has improved content wise.

• KOrnfan4evrKOrnfan4evr Member Posts: 334

really i see the same old stuff on the Home page.  I really think they're getting money from some of these ad's and the things that they put up and anything that they would get nothing from they dont even talk about.  Which is kinda sad cause theres quite a few mmo's out there that arent here.  Mind you most of them are going to be f2p korean copy paste games, but mmo's non the less.

Also darkfall is ridden with flaames and what not cause tis mostly the vaporware peeps that come in and talk crap, or even people that take offense to the term carebear, or o.0 even though they usually shout out at anything pvp oriented as disgruntled little kids that have no friends living in their moms basement.  Really it goes both ways, just a lack of respect for opinions (Even from the mmorpg staff)

• smg77smg77 Member Posts: 672

This site used to be one of the best places on the net for open discussion about mmorpgs but now the admins cater more to the advertisers than they do to the readers.

• KryogenicKryogenic Member Posts: 663

MMORPGs have been made to be more accessible by the general public and with that change has opened the floodgates of video game tourists that refuse to appreciate the genre for what it is.

Old school gamers pine for games where skills mattered and new school tourists praise itemization as it evened the playing field for them. Now itemization has become the new standard and panders to a new crowd.

Opinions clash, people get mad, poor manners and no respect run rampant (and so do run on sentences). It's not the people that design and run the site's fault that posters can't seem to respect the feelings and opinions of their fellow gamers.

I've been coming to this site for a really long time, longer than some of the mods. I like the revamp and have said so.

It's not up to the mods to make the community a better place. It's up to us the posters to start respecting each other.

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

I come here a lot to read the forums, post, and look at pictures. Seriously, thats about it.

As far as objectivity goes, this site cannot be relied upon. There previews read like advertisements, there reviews read like someone is afraid their advertising banners will get pulled if they shell it.

When you see big articles abour how the staff went to 'visit' the studio for a big behind the scenes look at a game. You can probably find similar articles on similar sites then too. This is because the studio usually pays to have the journalist visit, covers travel, board, etc. So its expected that you post a nice, fluffy, multi-page spread about your time here. They are basically buying coverage.

So, hang out, read the forums, look at screenshots, but seriously,  anything beyond that is like watching commercials and changing hte channel when the show comes on.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

I just come here becouse its about mmorpgs i love so much to play.

Skip all the zillions of A vs B comparison topics or the zillions of mmo bashing topics.

And i come here to see how much you hammer down Darkfall and i try to praise its brilliant ideas:), and open pvp.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• PonicoPonico Member UncommonPosts: 650

oops!

• goneglockingoneglockin Member UncommonPosts: 706

The reason it's so bad is because so many people are finally fed up with the MMORPG status quo and they want change and they come here to hate. 

Not me though.  I came here for a noble reason- to incite the haters to hate. 

Hope you got your things together. Hope you are quite prepared to die. Looks like we're in for nasty weather. ... There's a bad moon on the rise.

• saint4Godsaint4God Member Posts: 699

Wow, it's not enough to hate all the MMORPG's on the market, now we have to hate the site that talks about all of them?  What's next, your keyboard sucks?  How about that mouse?  It's junk too eh?  Then there's family.  That sucks.  Work/school sucks too no doubt.  How about oxygen?  Can't stand how it's invisible all the time, what's up with that?

Want to know what I hate?  Complaining without doing anything about it.  Make your own site. Compete.  Win.  That's what you play the games for, right?  Cancel your subscription, it's F2P anyway.  No doubt when a game title comes around that you're interested in, you'll be back.  Until then, wts pacifier, 500 gold, pst.

• sadnebulasadnebula Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by Ponico

If you think MMORPG is going downhill then how about you do yur part and make it a better place for everyone? I like MMORPG and everytime I have a chance, I try to write a good post reply or write a nice blog.
    If everyone took a moment to just do something constructive, MMORPG could quickly become the only reference on the web.

Well said,  I concede to this  well made point.

• TaeraTaera Community ManagerMember CommonPosts: 1,078

Originally posted by spankybus

I come here a lot to read the forums, post, and look at pictures. Seriously, thats about it.

As far as objectivity goes, this site cannot be relied upon. There previews read like advertisements, there reviews read like someone is afraid their advertising banners will get pulled if they shell it.

When you see big articles abour how the staff went to 'visit' the studio for a big behind the scenes look at a game. You can probably find similar articles on similar sites then too. This is because the studio usually pays to have the journalist visit, covers travel, board, etc. So its expected that you post a nice, fluffy, multi-page spread about your time here. They are basically buying coverage.

So, hang out, read the forums, look at screenshots, but seriously,  anything beyond that is like watching commercials and changing hte channel when the show comes on.

Actually, the staff writers/moderators have no contact with advertisors :)

Laura "Taera" Genender
    Community Manager
    MMORPG.com