Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I buy all the boxes or just the one with the class I want?

gargantroogargantroo Member Posts: 1,477

Is there any real benefits to picking up all the games? I wanna play as a ritualist, definitely. Should I even bother with Factions, Prophecies and Nightfall?

What are the benefits of just getting all 4? I have the money to do it I just don't wanna waist it, maybe save the money til Spore comes out.

i play on australian servers because racism is acceptable there

Comments

• endlesoneendlesone Member Posts: 109
    Originally posted by gargantroo

Is there any real benefits to picking up all the games? I wanna play as a ritualist, definitely. Should I even bother with Factions, Prophecies and Nightfall?
    What are the benefits of just getting all 4? I have the money to do it I just don't wanna waist it, maybe save the money til Spore comes out.

the benefit  that you'll get in terms of having all 3 campaigns and the expansion is that you'll have access to different skills, professions, maps, pvp arenas, etc. you'll be able to  access maps using one character (if  you have linked all the campaigns and expansion into one account) if you like to play as ritualist

you definitely need to purchase factions because that campaign has the assassin and ritualist profession besides the core professions (which is available in all the three campaigns) after playing thru factions and you enjoyed the game it would be up to you to buy the other campaigns and the expansion.  been playing guild wars since 2005 and i have bought every campaign and expansion upon release and i am yet to be disappointed if you want my opinion Guild Wars is definitely no wastes in money you'll get value and more for the price. Oh and GW 2 is coming soon as well

• Lonesamurai1Lonesamurai1 Member Posts: 1,210

Get all three/four packs (you can buy a GW Platinum Edition with Prophecies and GW:EN together) as you'll have everything then and you'll be more PvP accessible too

And you can pick them all up for £15/20

imageimage

• Synth.eticSynth.etic Member Posts: 36

Someone with clout around here should really make a "Wondering which Guild Wars Campaign/s to buy?" sticky.

• RiotgirlRiotgirl Member UncommonPosts: 520

Originally posted by Synth.etic
    Someone with clout around here should really make a "Wondering which Guild Wars Campaign/s to buy?" sticky.

That isn't me given that I have had GW for a total of 1 and a half weeks. That said, I am nothing but inquisitive and have found this thread on the unofficial GW forum that answers this question.

Regards,
    Riotgirl

"If you think I'm plucky and scrappy and all I need is love, you're in way over your head. I don't have a heart of gold or get nice. There are a lot nicer people coming up. We call them losers."

• 8hammer88hammer8 Member Posts: 1,812

Originally posted by Synth.etic

Does the stickied thread at the top of the thread list not show up for you?  Secrom put a lot of time in to this thread, I added some info and Lone blessed it with some of his wiki skills I believe...overall, it is a pretty informative thread.

Excerpt:

Which campaign is best to start with?

It's entirely a matter of taste, though the overall consensus is either Prophecies or Nightfall due to the slower paced PvE (in terms of progression of difficulty).

Here is an overview of each campaign's features:

- Prophecies:

• "Standard" fantasy setting (West European)
    • 6 professions, referred to as "Core" professions and available in all 3 chapters. These are: Elementalist, Mesmer, Monk, Necromancer, Ranger and Warrior
    • Long PvE campaign (in relation to other chapters)
    • Missions have a main objective and a bonus (unrelated) objective
    • Slowest levelling pace, you spend roughly 1/4th of the PvE storyline at max level
    • Skills can be obtained from quests throughout most of the PvE campaign
    • Possibility to rush through PvE maps freely
    • Access to henchmen only (NPC teammates, which you can add to your party in case you can't or don't want to have live players in your group)

- Factions:

• Based on Asian lore
    • Adds 2 exclusive professions: Assassin and Ritualist
    • Shortest PvE campaign (again in relation to other chapters), focuses on PvP between 2 factions (hence the title)
    • Fastest levelling pace, you can reach level cap before accessing the 3rd mission (out of 13)
    • No bonus on missions, though better reward the faster you complete them; also introduces Challenge missions, where you have to obtain the highest score you can completing a given objective within a fixed time-frame (those are unrelated to the PvE storyline)
    • A handful of skills are given from quests on the starter area, rest must be bought; quests and missions give higher rewards than in Prophecies to compensate*
    • New explorable areas are accessible only once you complete given missions
    • Access to henchmen only

- Nightfall:

• African theme
    • Adds 2 exclusive professions: Dervish and Paragon
    • Long PvE campaign, on par with if not longer than Prophecies'
    • Levelling pace somewhere in between Prophecies and Factions
    • Missions with bonuses; however, unlike Prophecies, you can't do the mission first and come back for the bonus later. It's more about completing the mission with extra challenge.
    • A handful of skills are given from quests on the starter area, rest must be bought; quests and missions give higher rewards than in Prophecies to compensate*. Note that even though Assassin and Ritualist are Factions-only professions, Nightfall offers new skills for those 2 classes
    • New explorable areas are accessible only once you complete given missions
    • Another notable feature is the addition of Heroes, which are henchmen you can customize (skills, equipment) and level up

* A few skills for core professions are obtainable through quests in Prophecies for Factions and Nightfall characters once you unlock travel to the first campaign

Back to contents

Can I travel to campaign Y/play with friends who have campaign Y with a character from campaign X?

Yes, though there are some conditions to meet.

For the record, there are no hard server boundaries in Guild Wars. Players are automatically sent to districts which correspond to their area (e.g. Europe, America, etc.) and in the case of Europe, this goes further to language districts (European English, European German and so on). Your home district can be changed in the account options and is thus based on the information you provide. There is nothing that prevents you from going to other districts (besides ping). Also, there is an International District where you can meet any player from any part of the world.

Any character from any campaign can travel to any other chapter provided you 1. own that chapter 2. have bound it to your account.

When trying to play some PvE with a friend, you two need to own at least one campaign in common. In PvP it doesn't matter, all arenas (aside from Factions-only skirmishes) take place on the same map, shared by all campaigns.

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

Of course i seen the current Sticky - likewise, have you seen the number of posts lately asking for advice on which one/s to buy?

As, if you wish to play all of GW, you must buy 3 Campaigns + Expansion (rather than a one-off fee+subscription for P2P games, with free expansions), the "Which one?" question will always be prominent, maybe more so than any other question for newcomers. The existing stickies are very informative, but apparently people arent willing to read through the mass of text in the hope of possibly finding an answer to their one small question.

Was just a suggestion. If it were my forum, i sure would.

• gargantroogargantroo Member Posts: 1,477

So, (Sorry, i'm on Ambien), I can buy factions, then attach all the old and new expansions to my factions account?

i play on australian servers because racism is acceptable there

Originally posted by gargantroo

So, (Sorry, i'm on Ambien), I can buy factions, then attach all the old and new expansions to my factions account?

Correct.

If, for example, you were to buy factions, you would have access to the 6 original professions (from Prophecies - Warrior, Ranger, Monk, Mesmer, Elementalist, Necromancer), along with the 2 Factions professions (Ritualist & Assasin), and be able to play in the continent of Cantha.

Then, if at a later date, you were to purchase, say Nightfall, you would link the two accounts, adding the two new professions from NF, and access to the continent of. . err, Nighfallion (cant remember the real name).

Your characters will be able to access all content & areas from all the expansions you buy. You are adding to your existing account, rather than buying seperate accounts.