Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why does everybody like EVE so much?

Zeref.DyverZeref.Dyver Member Posts: 270

I've given it a try.. 3 times. I just can't get into it, it is so boring it's ridicilous. So I'm here to ask, what am I missing that everybody else loves so much about this game? I played through the boringness as long as I could, which was about a day and a half. It is the most boring thing I've ever played, but i can't help but onder why everybody talks so highly about it. What am I missing?

Comments

• SuiciderSuicider Member UncommonPosts: 10

Don't know y they all love it. I don't like it, too. I think it's just an Sci-Fi Browsergame with 3-D graphics, nothing more, nothing less.

• KulthosKulthos Member Posts: 89

Considering how few people actually play EVE online, I have myself wondered why it is spoken of so highly and so often here.  I think that most of the pro-EVE posters are in transit, waiting, or otherwise stuck in one of the time sinks.  It is a deadly boring game with brain-dead enemy AI.

• There is a difference between "like" and "respect".  

There are many people who do not like the gameplay of EvE at all but still respect what CCP has accomplished.

What you are missing is an extremely well designed and elegantly designed simulation game.   It may be too slow and boring for you and it is also that for many others.  However there are a lot of aspects to EvE that have nothing to do with that and when you compare these aspects to other games it makes it easy to see how lacking they are.

EvE has very close to a real economy and your "equipment" is based on this economy.  People will choose to fly certain ships (and therefore take certain roles in a fight) based upon the cost of a ship.  Losing a HAC can cost you 10 times what losing a normal Carrier would cost you.  You better be damn sure you are using a HAC for the right reasons if you are risking that.

Now imagine how that affects PvP.  Suddenly there is a very real attrition.  Suddenly when Alliance X kills 100 ships of Alliance Y they have made a measureable and significant edge in their ongoing fighting.  A few more victories like that and Alliance Y is crippled and will be conquered by Alliance X.

It is these seemingly simple but powerful considerations and CCP's faithfulness to them that makes EvE highly regarded even by people who find it boring, which are many.

Another example is travel time.  Yeah its boring and annoying to some degree.  But CCP didn't put it in for "immersion" like some cocky maimy piss poor EQ1 design.  They put it in because EvE is meant to be local.  It is meant to be a "place" where the north side of the universe has very little idea of what is going on in the south side.  Where Alliance Z is of no concern to Alliance X because it would take them 10 hours to travel to their vulnerable systems.  Yet at the same time CCP is smart enough to understand that if you have travel times like that you can never make it so that a player needs to go to the south side of the universe if they do not want to.  Thus you can usually do everything you need to do within 5-10 and never travel outside those 5-10 systems except for extraordianry reasons. 

They have put in a number of foundational things and most importantly made sure that they make sense inside the game. 

Travel times in EvE make sense and make the game better.  Travel times in EQ1 were a clusterf*ck that showed an obvious lack of understanding for what they were doing.

It is not uncommon to see someone post positively about EvE and say its too bad the game is so boring.   To some extent some of these design decisions contribute to the boringness for some people.  But still the game itself is made by people who have a clear idea of what the mechanics of a game are really meant to do rather than just adding things in because they seem nice.

• AragoniAragoni Member UncommonPosts: 384

Wait, you think it's more boring to play a skill-based MMO then to kill 20.000 brainless mobs and do the same repetive quest over and over again? Good one.

Srsly though, the reason why I like are: 1.EVE-Online is the open-PvP with full loot .

2. The lore is wtfpwnz00r. Gallente Federation ftw! FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDOM!

3. You can be a valuable asset for your group in PvP even though  you've only played a couple of days (that is if you train the right skills).

4. EVE is a sandbox game, it doesn't force you to do anything at all (except maybe indirectly forcing you too train skills) and doesn't hold your hand like alot of the MMO's out there. Sure, I'm still having an hard time getting used to it even though I've played it for 1 month but still I'm having a blast.  Still thinking about stop training the combatskills and train tradingskills, I want to be an intergalactic drugsmuggler!

One question.... where is the dif. between a Sci-Fi Browsergame and EvE, except the 3-D graphics?

• AragoniAragoni Member UncommonPosts: 384
    Originally posted by Suicider

One question.... where is the dif. between a Sci-Fi Browsergame and EvE, except the 3-D graphics?

The day the devs can create games like EVE with Shockwave and Flash I will be the happiest man on earth.

Mhm.... and now an example what they can create as an browser based engine.

unity3d.com/

btw, that wasnt an answer at all ;D

• EnkinduEnkindu Member Posts: 1,098

People love Eve because it's brutal, hardore, epic, huge, intense, complicated, difficult, rewarding, heart stopping, political, social, groundbreaking, and the best MMO ever created.

People love Eve because it's NOT light, fluffy, easily accessible, easy to master, and because it's not just another game that holds your hand and becomes mind-numbingly repetetive after playing it for a week.

Analogy: other MMOs are like a jog you take in the park every day- fun, relaxing.  Eve is like an expedition to climb a mountain in Antarctica.  Takes years of planning, logistics, economic preparation, and team building to even BEGIN to realize your goals.  Some people love that in a game.  Some people would rather stick to jogging in the park, and that's cool too.

By the way, what "browser" game is it that puts you in a two hour battle for your life in a 2 billion ISK carrier that took you years to get with some of your best friends in the world?  All the while managing remote repair of your fleet, control of your fighters, assignment of fighters to other ships, electronic warfare, gang assist modules, and coordinating with a fleet of nearly 100 ships of almost every description... I must look into these "browser games..."

deviliscious: (PS. I have been told that when I use scientific language, it does not make me sound more intelligent, it only makes me sound like a jackass. It makes me appear that I am not knowledgable enough in the subject I am discussing to be able to translate it for people outside the field to understand. Some advice you might consider as well)

• darkraptordarkraptor Member Posts: 178

Originally posted by Enkindu

People love Eve because it's brutal, hardore, epic, huge, intense, complicated, difficult, rewarding, heart stopping, political, social, groundbreaking, and the best MMO ever created.
         People love Eve because it's NOT light, fluffy, easily accessible, easy to master, and because it's not just another game that holds your hand and becomes mind-numbingly repetetive after playing it for a week.
         Analogy: other MMOs are like a jog you take in the park every day- fun, relaxing.  Eve is like an expedition to climb a mountain in Antarctica.  Takes years of planning, logistics, economic preparation, and team building to even BEGIN to realize your goals.  Some people love that in a game.  Some people would rather stick to jogging in the park, and that's cool too.
         By the way, what "browser" game is it that puts you in a two hour battle for your life in a 2 billion ISK carrier that took you years to get with some of your best friends in the world?  All the while managing remote repair of your fleet, control of your fighters, assignment of fighters to other ships, electronic warfare, gang assist modules, and coordinating with a fleet of nearly 100 ships of almost every description... I must look into these "browser games..."

Additionally, a lot can go on when you're not playing, even benefits to yourself.

How much better can you get than that? Both casuals and hardcores have their own benefits on that part.  

/rant

Just thought of another good analogy: 

A sculptor might look at an uncut piece of very fine stone and become very excited with ideas about what he might create with it.

Most people would just look at it and say "what's the big deal? It's just a boring rock.  I don't get it."

deviliscious: (PS. I have been told that when I use scientific language, it does not make me sound more intelligent, it only makes me sound like a jackass. It makes me appear that I am not knowledgable enough in the subject I am discussing to be able to translate it for people outside the field to understand. Some advice you might consider as well)

• Zeref.DyverZeref.Dyver Member Posts: 270

A sculptor might look at an uncut piece of very fine stone and become very excited with ideas about what he might create with it.
    Most people would just look at it and say "what's the big deal? It's just a boring rock.  I don't get it."

Shouldn't a game be fun to begin with?

Yes, that was my point.  When I started to become aware of the sheer volume of possibilities open to the player in Eve, what I experienced was more than fun.. it was enthralling.  The process of looking at the dynamic universe  and figuring out how to succeed in it (bigger ships, better skills, exploration, corporation building, wealth generation) was a blast for me from the time I was flying a velator until I retired after 3.5 years because RL got too busy.

Different things are fun for different people.

• KyernaKyerna Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by darkboarder8

Shouldn't a game be fun to begin with?

It has subscribers hasn't it? I doubt CCP would pay them all a montly salary just for filling the game's 'space'. If you find it to hard to understand why someone else's taste or notion of fun isn't necessarily the same as yours then try asking yourself why they need to have all those different coloured M&M's; they all taste the same and all have chocolate on the inside.
  • batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

Originally posted by Kyerna
    they all taste the same and all have chocolate on the inside.

Lies!

Btw. Eve is popular because of two things that are totally unique in the gaming world.

The economy
    The politics

No other game has developed such a deep athmosphere.

• KurirKurir Member UncommonPosts: 244

Personally its a love hate thing for me, I'm waiting for Jump gate Evolution. Eve's Siren song is strong but I've broken its power over me and only resub once or twice a year for a month at a time. I still need my Sci-Fi fix, even bad Sci-Fi until a better supply comes along.

• chaoslotdchaoslotd Member Posts: 54

in eve i will  rule space and no one can stop me no one!!!!

• jezvinjezvin Member UncommonPosts: 804

Eve is the only god damn skill based game out atm.

I hate the gameplay, animated wallpaper space sim is not for me. but really I just want one game that is based on skills and not lvls.

this game has it, which is awsome but then again the core gameplay is retard imo.

-------------------------------------------------
    Achiever 20.00%, Explorer 86.67%, Killer 60.00%, Socializer 33.33%

EKSA
    -------------------------------------------------

• XenduliXenduli Member Posts: 654

EVE has free expansion, directx 10 graphics, all players on 1 server.

No annoying animated GIF here!

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

I don't like it that much. Played it for a bit... got boring... quick like. I think it's all the "More hardcore than thou" players that praise it all the time. It's a griefers and sadomasochists holiday.

• Inf666Inf666 Member UncommonPosts: 513

Originally posted by Suicider

Don't know y they all love it. I don't like it, too. I think it's just an Sci-Fi Browsergame with 3-D graphics, nothing more, nothing less.
    EVERY game is just a browser game if you remove the graphics. Please give me an example of a game that could not be implemented in a 2D fashion with a semi-real-time system.

The good thing about Eve is the broad spectrum of options you can do. There is no game out  there that even remotely gives you so much and so different things to do and accomplish. Add in the secure/unsecure space theme with politics, real economy, space exploration, factory complexes, player empires, good pvp, a big trading, production and science system and you have got yourself a winner. There is no other game out there with so many possibilities.

There are some problems though:

- Eve is NOT for solo players. Eve shines when you work with a group. You need to get into a corp as soon as possible.

- The first two months are not interesting and most players do not make it to the good stuff

- Ships do not work well as avatars. A lot of players cannot identify with a ship. The upcoming ambulation system might change this.

- Eve has lag problems with huge battles. The influx of players into the game and into the big alliances has caused a change to blobbing warfare. Simply attack with more players and ships over a longer period and you are bound to win. This is the main reason why I have become rather inactive in the game.

- A single player can never change the outcome of any battle with more than 15 players, no matter how skilled he is. Now imagine 500vs500. Droning for the win but some like it I guess.

The main difference to other MMOs is: No goals. Low risk = low reward.

Eve does not pamper the player. Eve does not tell you what to do, does not force you to do specific stuff and does not give you any goals. Its up to you yorself to find a goal and pursue it. 90% of MMO players simply cannot handle this. Why? Because they want to beat the game without having to think and for instant gratification. If possible on easy mode and with maximum rewards so that they can brag at the "end" of the game. Eve doesn't deliver this.

---
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

I've given it a try.. 3 times. I just can't get into it, it is so boring it's ridicilous. So I'm here to ask, what am I missing that everybody else loves so much about this game? I played through the boringness as long as I could, which was about a day and a half. It is the most boring thing I've ever played, but i can't help but onder why everybody talks so highly about it. What am I missing?
    Becouse this is a very small portion of community who play mmo's come to this forum and becouse many eve players come here it seems most like eve, but i can assure you most dont like eve.

Other wise millions would play it.

Its only intresting for sci fi fans. ones who like to travel through space, and wanne be bored to death then you play eve, majority don't want that.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• GramisGramis Member Posts: 99

Depends on what you want from a game. Some like forest-nl like wow,eq etc and think that no risk pvp is hardcore pvp .. others are interested in a no-risk pve games where everywhere you`d go there is the option to toggle pvp on or off, others like to grind their way thru the game to get instant gratification. EvE isnt like that.

What gets me in EvE is its pvp nature. Nothing more beautiful than to see your opponents wrecks after a succesfull engagement.

• daemondaemon Member UncommonPosts: 680

150k players isnt everybody btw.

It appeals to a certain crowd and thats it.

It is a well made game nobody argues there but you dont have to like it.

• admiralnlsonadmiralnlson Member UncommonPosts: 240

Originally posted by forest-nl
    Its only intresting for sci fi fans. ones who like to travel through space, and wanne be bored to death then you play eve, majority don't want that.
    Interesting you're saying Eve is boring while I don't see "Eve" in your "played" or "tried" list in your sig.

Tina Turner just said on Eve-Radio why people play Eve :

"[Eve Online,] You're Simply the Best !"

^^

---
    Waiting for: GW2
    *thumbs up*: GW, Eve(, WoW)
    *thumbs down*: MO, GA, FE

• SouvecSouvec Member UncommonPosts: 698

The only things I can say about my love of EVE is how unique it is in the scope of every MMO to date. While its been said "EVE is nothing more than a Browser game... yada yada" until a developer actually does so it isn't one... get over it.

Reasons why I enjoy EVE:

Roleplaying - Despite the PvP crowd, EVE does harbor a unique and diverse RP crowd, one I haven't experienced in most MMO's.

Time Based Skill Advancement - Working 40+ a week, being a Dad, husband, and other real life commitments make it hard to enjoy MMO gaming these days. EVE has allowed me the opportunity to advance over time, and while offline making time away not nearly as painful.

Cooperative Play 24/7 - EVE being a game not dissected by levels, makes it seamless for players of old and new to work side by side, rather than apart. I never have to worry about what level I am, or my friends to join up for Fleet Ops, ratting, mining, etc.

Atmosphere - EVE does a good job at pulling everything together such as the Lore, Space Travel, Economy, etc. EVE is the only true Massive Multiplaying Online RPG with now over 40,000 players online and on the same server. It gives you the feeling that it truly is a large universe, vast and almost endless.

Learning Curve - While EVE at first glance can be extremely overwhelming, it can also be quite easy to get into assuming you actually complete the TUTORIAL. Though even once you get out of training, there is still much to learn. Perhaps its a preference, but I enjoy challenging games that don't hold my hand and let me do what I feel like doing. Its unfortunate that the newer generation of MMO gamers coming into a game like this, get discouraged because they know nothing more than say WoW. Sometimes it doesn't hurt to think... let alone think outside the box.