Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Brits have lost touch with reality

2»

Comments

  • lomillerlomiller Member Posts: 1,810

     

    Originally posted by Muirin


    Anyone can make a video showing stupid people from any country.  Just have to edit out the 95% that got it right and leave the 5%.  Makes for great TV, becuase in the end who wants to watch someone answer a question right?  And asking questions in NY that has a huge population of immigants and saying Americans are stupid is pointless crap.

     

    That 5% can still be funny.  Make sure you watch to the end

     

     

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8tVbH5NfvQ

     

  • DemDemDemDemDemDem Member Posts: 160

    I'm English, yeah that's right.

    And if this is a topic of how stupid I am, I will gladly retort and defend my country. Now alot of the kids today are chavs. Meaning that they think it's better to smoke and drink at like 14 years of age, run around smashing windows and fighting. Not learning in School. But for the most part, we are a smart country. Our youth is just messed up, and they all need a firm beating to be perfectly honest.

     

    But that doesn't mean were all stupid or that we have "lost touch with reality" at all.

    I can recall thousands of times during sessions of playing on Xbox live where an American or two have made total fools of themselves and led me to believe your all stupid ( I know this isn't the case at all but really, I have met more stupid, arrogant and ignorant Americans than any other people).

    One asked me last night if we had the word "redneck" in our wanker language, then proceeded to laugh with his buddy. I answered with " seeing as redneck is an English word, in the English language that I speak then yes. This is an example.

    Another, I was asked if there were trees in England...(Britain actually because you all seem to think every british person is English) Another asked if we visited the eifle tower alot when we were in London.

    Hundreds have said "wow why don't you speak english man " when infact I am from England, the country that made English.

    And all of you seem to think London makes up 99% of England, because you don't know any better and think we all live in London.

     

    Now I'm not bagging all Americans, just the thread is annoying and I have had more bad experiences than good. (There are millions of examples of stupidity I could give. I have never actually met one of you guys who could have a serious conversation without the usual "oh my god shut up you bloody wanker, drink your tea and eat your crumpets...Go fuck the queen"

    See how this would get annoying? How about every single game you join you get it? Now see why Americans get a bad name.

    image

  • BlurrBlurr Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

    Yeah I'm sorry but things like this are nothing new. If you go talk to the right groups of people you can prove they think anything.

    And more importantly, Americans are the last ones that should be trying to say some other country has "lost touch with reality", when there's been a million polls like this in the US.

    Go to YouTube and look up Rick Mercer Talking to Americans, you'll get about 50 videos of Americans saying everything under the sun, and in fact some clips where Americans can't point out obvious places on a map.

    So maybe just tone down the comments about who has lost touch with what.

    "Because it's easier to nitpick something than to be constructive." -roach5000

  • lomillerlomiller Member Posts: 1,810

    Originally posted by Blurr



    Go to YouTube and look up Rick Mercer Talking to Americans, you'll get about 50 videos of Americans saying everything under the sun, and in fact some clips where Americans can't point out obvious places on a map.

     

    I already linked to the one where he has Mike Huckabee convinced Canada’s capitol is an igloo.  It’s only 3 posts up

  • baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

    I'm inbred and proud.

  • GozzarGozzar Member UncommonPosts: 387

    dont believe everything you read...

    image

    image

  • ZikielZikiel Member Posts: 1,138
    Originally posted by Gozzar


    dont believe everything you read...

    Meaning that I shouldn't heed this post, but by doing so, validate it. So by failing to heed your post.. I heed it. Arghhh...

  • KhuzarrzKhuzarrz Member Posts: 578

    CBA to read through the post to check, but if noone has said it:

    Have you ever chatted to a Brit about obvious things? We're THE MOST sarcastic people in the world. I would DEFINATELY have answered the stupid answers, despite that off the top of my head I could tell you Churchill's DoB, and could give you a short biography of Richard the Lionheart.

     

    For those of you that don't know, UKTV Gold is a subscription channel on British TV that shows two types of programmes: British sarcastic comedies (My Family, My Hero etc.), and British pop-culture shows. Now when you survey UKTV viewers, that means you have two types of viewers. Sarcastic people, and idiots. Try surveying BBC News 24 viewers, and you'll have another set of answers, or try Ceebeebies if you reeeally want a chuckle ;)

     

    To conclude, likelihood is that it's a combination of a ridiculously sample, and the fact that yes, even us British have some fucking idiots in our midst. Also certain parts of it I imagine are down to the fact that we don't actually study 'nationalism' or any british history any more really, whereas in countries like the US, state-institutionalised patriotism is the norm.

  • DemDemDemDemDemDem Member Posts: 160

    Another awesome comment I just heard not 20 minutes ago while on Call of Duty 4.

     

    American:-"Hey man I can't understand you, speak fucking English"

    Me:- " I am speaking English, as I am from England...The creator of said language"

    American:-"Well I speak american, so go drink some tea you crooked teeth fag"

     

    Really, new levels of wit on his part.

     

    Anyone fancy linking me to a list of all languages in the world because it seems alot of Americans speak American and not English...Wait that's not even a language?

    Why do you guys want to pull away from us so much? Most of your ancestors are British correct? And you speak the language we made correct? We are backing you in a war against terrorism correct?  So why do you hate us for having a different accent on the language WE made?

     

    image

  • XenduliXenduli Member Posts: 654

    May not know about dead people but I bet they are better at geography than http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANTDkfkoBaI

    No annoying animated GIF here!

  • cornoffcobcornoffcob Member Posts: 860

    wow....

    I hope some day we can all put aside our racisms and prejudices and just laugh at people


    image

  • modjoe86modjoe86 Member UncommonPosts: 4,083
    Originally posted by DemDemDem


    Another awesome comment I just heard not 20 minutes ago while on Call of Duty 4.
     
    American:-"Hey man I can't understand you, speak fucking English"
    Me:- " I am speaking English, as I am from England...The creator of said language"
    American:-"Well I speak american, so go drink some tea you crooked teeth fag"
     
    Really, new levels of wit on his part.
     
    Anyone fancy linking me to a list of all languages in the world because it seems alot of Americans speak American and not English...Wait that's not even a language?
    Why do you guys want to pull away from us so much? Most of your ancestors are British correct? And you speak the language we made correct? We are backing you in a war against terrorism correct?  So why do you hate us for having a different accent on the language WE made?
     

    The english created english? I may be a dumb American but that's false...or am I a complete idiot?

    Easy Nulled provide latest nulled scripts. we deal in wordpress themes plugins, nulled scripts.
    https://easynulled.com/

    Free porn videos, xxx porn videos
    Onlyfans nudes
    Onlyfans leaked
  • PTEDPTED Member Posts: 464

    *Without reading anything else in this thread*

    "UKTV Gold television surveyed 3,000 people."

    'nuff said.

  • naldricnaldric Member UncommonPosts: 909

    Seems like there is idiots anywhere, not really surprising when you think about the intelligence of an average person and think that 50% are dumber...

  • DCTitanDCTitan Member Posts: 88

    Why would they want to remember Winston Churchill, he is everything "modern" Europeans hate (he was fairly right about the creation of Israel..big ass mistake). 

     

    "There is no greater mistake than to suppose that platitudes, smooth words, and timid policies offer a path to safety."

     

    "How many wars have been averted by patience and good will?"

     

    "An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last."

    "When nations are strong, they are not always just and when they wish to be just, they are no longer strong."

    "Victory will never be found by taking the line of least resistance."

    "I cannot subscribe to the idea that it might be possible to dig ourselves in and make no preparations for anything else than passive defense. It is the theory of the turtle."

    "I never worry about action, but only about inaction."

    "If I were asked the difference between Socialism and Communism, I could only reply that the Socialist tries to lead us to disaster by foolish words and the Communist could try to drive us there by violent deeds."

    "Socialism is inseparably interwoven with totalitarianism and the abject worship of the State."

    "Socialism is the philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy."

    'All men are created equal' says the American Declaration of Independence. 'All men shall be kept equal' say the Socialists."

    "The vice of capitalism is that it stands for the unequal sharing of blessings; whereas the virtue of socialism is that it stands for the equal sharing of misery."

    "Let them quit these gospels of envy, hate, and malice. Let them abandon the utter fallacy, the grotesque, erroneous, fatal blunder of believing that by limiting the enterprise of man, by riveting the shackles of a false equality...they will increase the well-being of the world."

     

  • Man1acMan1ac Member Posts: 1,428

    You know, if you're American, here's a big favour, be quiet and roll up in some corner for the time being. The US is in a really screwed up position atm. I mean Britain isn't paved with gold but obesity and carbon emissions being pathetically bad is probably an understatement for the US. I've seen people say that global warming is variable, what next? Fast food restaurants are due to the state of the economy hence why so many Americans are obese?

    I do believe the 18 law for drinking really takes the piss as <16 year old can drink all happily, and when it come to marijuana no no it's an intoxicant but for soem reason Alcohol is ok cause it's good for you in small amounts, but arguably so is cannabis

    We're all Geniuses. Most of us just don't know it.

  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by Man1ac


    You know, if you're American, here's a big favour, be quiet and roll up in some corner for the time being. The US is in a really screwed up position atm. I mean Britain isn't paved with gold but obesity and carbon emissions being pathetically bad is probably an understatement for the US. I've seen people say that global warming is variable, what next? Fast food restaurants are due to the state of the economy hence why so many Americans are obese?
    I do believe the 18 law for drinking really takes the piss as <16 year old can drink all happily, and when it come to marijuana no no it's an intoxicant but for soem reason Alcohol is ok cause it's good for you in small amounts, but arguably so is cannabis



    I think actually in US is 21, which is hilarious.......I mean in UK at 21, kids took already any drug possible, drunk the lake district in beer, have 2 children (well at 14 really), they own season tickets for West Ham UTD (soccer club), have being in jail several times for theft, robbery and violence.

    And in America you are not allowed to drink til you are 21..........although my instinct tells me that this law is sliiiiightly bent (kids are kids everywhere u go)

  • bluberryhazebluberryhaze Member Posts: 1,702
    Originally posted by DCTitan


    Why would they want to remember Winston Churchill, he is everything "modern" Europeans hate (he was fairly right about the creation of Israel..big ass mistake). 
     
    "There is no greater mistake than to suppose that platitudes, smooth words, and timid policies offer a path to safety."
     
    "How many wars have been averted by patience and good will?"
     
    "An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last."
    "When nations are strong, they are not always just and when they wish to be just, they are no longer strong."
    "Victory will never be found by taking the line of least resistance."
    "I cannot subscribe to the idea that it might be possible to dig ourselves in and make no preparations for anything else than passive defense. It is the theory of the turtle."
    "I never worry about action, but only about inaction."
    "If I were asked the difference between Socialism and Communism, I could only reply that the Socialist tries to lead us to disaster by foolish words and the Communist could try to drive us there by violent deeds."
    "Socialism is inseparably interwoven with totalitarianism and the abject worship of the State."
    "Socialism is the philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy."
    'All men are created equal' says the American Declaration of Independence. 'All men shall be kept equal' say the Socialists."
    "The vice of capitalism is that it stands for the unequal sharing of blessings; whereas the virtue of socialism is that it stands for the equal sharing of misery."
    "Let them quit these gospels of envy, hate, and malice. Let them abandon the utter fallacy, the grotesque, erroneous, fatal blunder of believing that by limiting the enterprise of man, by riveting the shackles of a false equality...they will increase the well-being of the world."
     

    amazing quotes. I havent heard all of them. Thank you!

    -I will subtlety invade your psyche-

  • DemDemDemDemDemDem Member Posts: 160

    Originally posted by modjoe86

    Originally posted by DemDemDem


    Another awesome comment I just heard not 20 minutes ago while on Call of Duty 4.
     
    American:-"Hey man I can't understand you, speak fucking English"
    Me:- " I am speaking English, as I am from England...The creator of said language"
    American:-"Well I speak american, so go drink some tea you crooked teeth fag"
     
    Really, new levels of wit on his part.
     
    Anyone fancy linking me to a list of all languages in the world because it seems alot of Americans speak American and not English...Wait that's not even a language?
    Why do you guys want to pull away from us so much? Most of your ancestors are British correct? And you speak the language we made correct? We are backing you in a war against terrorism correct?  So why do you hate us for having a different accent on the language WE made?
     

    The english created english? I may be a dumb American but that's false...or am I a complete idiot?

     

    Basically, I think this is correct. But I may miss a few vital points.

    England was home to a few groups of people at several differnt points. The first that had an impact on making the language was the vikings more specifically Anglo-Norman French vikings. That was how Old English was made/altered.

    Then came loads of different people which are considered our ancestors the language that were spoke were: Old Norse and Gothic or Icelandic and Norwegian. Then after a fair few years the languages mixed and with what the original people who lived in England spoke, which was considered Germanic ( I think) and there we have it, modern English.

    I may be totally wrong, but that's what I remember from history lessons.

    So yes in essence, we made the language.

    image

  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

    Lol it doesn't matter where the English language comes from, the English has been made by English people.

    Of course it ain't a pure language.



    English came from a mixture of languages.

    There is a bit of Saxon (german) - French - Nordic languages (Swedish and similar) - and Anglo dialects.

    But then again few languages are actually pure.

    French comes from old Latin, same for Italian and Spanish.



    But English has obviusly being created by English, that's where the name comes from.



    You need to remember that Australia, USA, Jamaica, speak English because they were English colonies, there is a perfectly reasonable explanation why they speak that particular language and they don't have their own.

    American ancestors were English (mainly) so Americans speak English, that's pretty straight forward.



    It might be that in the future American-English will become so different from the original one that will be rebranded.

    But at the moment the differnce aren't so many, except for some slang and the different accent.

  • Man1acMan1ac Member Posts: 1,428

    I think the OP should be shot. This thread was obviously going get flamed. I think what it is after the little survey about the Americans failing to answer correctly some simple questions has kinda annoyed a 'few' people. End of the day, it's one persons common sense to have 'touch with reality' or not. Education just helps you expand.

    We're all Geniuses. Most of us just don't know it.

Sign In or Register to comment.