Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

18 Certificate/MatureRating = Thousands of Kids playing AOC Agree or disagree ?

Comments

• Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822

Originally posted by summitus

Originally posted by jusomdude

Who cares really? Kids or no kids there will always be annoying people playing MMOs.
    Ok fine if you dont care , but are you a parent ?

Also its not a question about people being annoying in Mmo's its about Children or Teens playing a game that is clearly aimed at a mature audience.

If that is the point, I dont think it matters much really. When I was younger and Im sure you as well ... how many movies did you get in to see that you were supposed to have adult consent to see? How many kids did you see smoking outside schools. How many parties were there with alcohol that you attended or heard of?

So do I personally see kids playing AOC? Of course I do. There will be some parents who have no problem with this game what so ever and monitor them closely as they play or w/e. You will also have dead beat parents who just dont give a a d mn one way or the other what there kids do. Will many kids even want to play should be the bigger question. I dont think many will. Do I think its a problem to mix kids in an atmosphere thats aimed at adults? Most of these games already have many more adults than kids playing, so I dont think that is an issue. Which ultimately leaves us with the content of AOC being a problem  ...... and I believe they see alot more on tv, games,  and in RL than they will in AOC.

• BedaBeda Member Posts: 86
    Originally posted by swainiac

The game will have slightly less younger folks and that is about it. Kids will still get in because of loser parents but hey - less is less and that's nice. I honestly don't think it will lead to more as some have said. Trust me - there is a lot more places to see stuff more graphic than this on the web. And for free.Most kids aren't going to shell out $15 a month to see the cartoon crap when they can see the real thing for free at any time.

Tell that to the kids fapping on their keyboard to a dancing, clothless, Night Elf in the tram station on WoW.

• JCMSJCMS Member Posts: 25

I don't know how it is in the rest of north america but here in Quebec they need to ID people for games that are rated M/PEGI 16+/18+ (they also sell french europeeans version of PC games here). Bestbuy & Futureshop always ID, like if you were buying beer or cigarettes. EB only ID if you look under 16.

Most of small stores don't ID but they don't carry PC games (only WoW). EB, bestbuy & Futureshop are pretty much the only place you buy PC games. Wal-mart has some too but wal-mart here are placed so a 10 years old can't really go himself (they mostly are near industrial parks or near highways ,like Club Price/Costco.

So even if they get the game, they will still be IDed when buying the game cards. I don't think 12 years old can afford a MMO without their parents paying anyway.

• natinsatin1natinsatin1 Member Posts: 10

im 14 and me and my friends have allready preorded. Were all mmo vets of wow and such and were defly not immature lil 12 year olds. Were the ones who hate them.

I will say we can do some weird stuff though. (The other day we prank phone called 12 strip clubs and asked for a job as a jiz mopper lol)

• patrikd23patrikd23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,155

Finally a MMO without kids, 18 Certificate well done Funcom !!! Looking forward to play this mature MMO.

• AcidicTRGAcidicTRG Member Posts: 27

It's the parents responsibility to regulate what their child can and cannot have/play/etc.

That is all.

• ShamiusShamius Member Posts: 99
    Originally posted by patrikd23

Finally a MMO without kids, 18 Certificate well done Funcom !!! Looking forward to play this mature MMO.

The M rating definitely does not signify "no kiddies." For you people who think this, you are sadly mistaken. There will be immature people in every MMO no matter the rating. It's like a rated R movie. How many of us here that are legal to watch them now, watched them before we were of age. I guarantee over 90%.

• GozzarGozzar Member UncommonPosts: 387

heh its easy to blame video games and music for stuff that goes wrong.. when its the society that has the guilt and the fact that people are nuts have been is going to be... study history ^^

• GozzarGozzar Member UncommonPosts: 387
    Originally posted by Klobius

Originally posted by patrikd23

The M rating definitely does not signify "no kiddies." For you people who think this, you are sadly mistaken. There will be immature people in every MMO no matter the rating. It's like a rated R movie. How many of us here that are legal to watch them now, watched them before we were of age. I guarantee over 90%.

hum.. in sweden anyway its not ilegal to watch a adult movie if ur under aged.. its just a pointer for the parents and folk around the kids, but then again.. sweden aint the world

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293

Just a thought I was thinking earlier today, normally when a game has a Mature rating or an 18 certificate it always seems that more kids will bend over backwards to make sure they get to play it, Grand Theft Auto or Manhunt being perfect examples of this ,
    So my question is to you guys, is this going to be an issue  with AOC , and any youngsters reading this, are you going to play it ?
    Also any Mmorpg.com members with children, will you be allowing your kids to play it ?
    Good parenting is pretty much gone in the current generation, along with discipline, respect, and manners.

I worked in a Gamestop 2 years ago. Little kid comes in with his mom to buy a gift for his older sisters birthday. Kids about 7. Im helping mom pick out a game, the entire time the kids yanking her arms screaming and crying he wants a game.

Mom turns and say "No, johnny its sis's birthday." Kid screams hauls back his right and and slaps mom very hard across the face. Leaving a little kid hand print.

Im think ooooh snap kids gonna get it now!

Mom turns to me, and says Ill take the game he wants too.

Kids simply dont respect their parents anymore, and parents either dont care, are to busy, or are afraid to discipline their kids.

In my day, you threw a fit, you got taken out to the car or bathroom and spanked. Now a days parents sit down and try and talk to the kid like an adult. For some kids this works. For the majority of the little snots out there, it doesnt.

You will see just as many kids playing this game as any other MMO out there sadly.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

Yes and more imo simply because of a rebelious situation. Not all kids are like this but many i ve experienced do the opposite of what they re told at certain ages. For example kids are told not to drink/smoke by their parents but they can always find a way to get it and will because they re told not to. Putting a mature rating does nothing and i m willing to bet will have the opposite effect. Some kid will be in the store see it s rated for an age much beyond his and will find a way to get it.  Hell Funcom might sell more copies due to this who knows.

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287

Originally posted by Leucent

Yes and more imo simply because of a rebelious situation. Not all kids are like this but many i ve experienced do the opposite of what they re told at certain ages. For example kids are told not to drink/smoke by their parents but they can always find a way to get it and will because they re told not to. Putting a mature rating does nothing and i m willing to bet will have the opposite effect. Some kid will be in the store see it s rated for an age much beyond his and will find a way to get it.  Hell Funcom might sell more copies due to this who knows.

Heh, if you really want to keep kids out....label the box "Educational / Child".

As far as the topic goes though.....not as many kids play these things as we make it out to be.  Honestly the largest core of the gamer community are 20-25 year olds today.  They were the ones raised on the NES.  I think a lot of this misconception is due to the fact we forget that even adults sometimes ACT like idiot children.

• ShotgunJoeShotgunJoe Member Posts: 120

Originally posted by Pyrostasis

Just a thought I was thinking earlier today, normally when a game has a Mature rating or an 18 certificate it always seems that more kids will bend over backwards to make sure they get to play it, Grand Theft Auto or Manhunt being perfect examples of this ,
    So my question is to you guys, is this going to be an issue  with AOC , and any youngsters reading this, are you going to play it ?
    Also any Mmorpg.com members with children, will you be allowing your kids to play it ?
    Good parenting is pretty much gone in the current generation, along with discipline, respect, and manners.

I worked in a Gamestop 2 years ago. Little kid comes in with his mom to buy a gift for his older sisters birthday. Kids about 7. Im helping mom pick out a game, the entire time the kids yanking her arms screaming and crying he wants a game.

Mom turns and say "No, johnny its sis's birthday." Kid screams hauls back his right and and slaps mom very hard across the face. Leaving a little kid hand print.

Kids simply dont respect their parents anymore, and parents either dont care, are to busy, or are afraid to discipline their kids.

In my day, you threw a fit, you got taken out to the car or bathroom and spanked. Now a days parents sit down and try and talk to the kid like an adult. For some kids this works. For the majority of the little snots out there, it doesnt.

You will see just as many kids playing this game as any other MMO out there sadly.

Try not to be so narrow minded and generalizing until you are at the very least a parent yourself. I have 4 kids and can promise you that behavoir like you mentioned is not tolerated in my house.

As for whether kids will play this game, if the game is as fun as I think it is, most definately they will. Ratings can only do so much. Its ultimately up to the retailer and parent, and I have seen both fail in this regard several times. Beyond the age thing, we all know it never ever defines maturity and I will suspect the biggest a$$holes in the game will be in the 18-25 crowd anyways.

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293

Originally posted by ShotgunJoe

Originally posted by Pyrostasis

Try not to be so narrow minded and generalizing until you are at the very least a parent yourself. I have 4 kids and can promise you that behavoir like you mentioned is not tolerated in my house.

As for whether kids will play this game, if the game is as fun as I think it is, most definately they will. Ratings can only do so much. Its ultimately up to the retailer and parent, and I have seen both fail in this regard several times. Beyond the age thing, we all know it never ever defines maturity and I will suspect the biggest a$$holes in the game will be in the 18-25 crowd anyways.

Narrow minded? I agree that not all kids are like this.

However, all you have to do is walk into a local high school to see that the majority of kids are out of control and not regulated.

Dont get me wrong there are still good parents out there, but there are a lot less of them than there used to be.

• fantarosfantaros Member Posts: 394

What's the point of rating a game anyway? Is it suposed to keep kids away from blood and gore? All he has to do is switch on the tv and he can get to watch real footage of cops shooting criminals, close ups of dead bodies in the CSI series, people suiciding in other movies..... Only thing it prevents kids from watching is women's breasts. HELLO???????? women's breast are a natural thing, not a freak of nature...

It's not the parents fault anyway. How about the influence all those non M-rated games have on teens? 14 yr olds have been shooting kids at their schools for crying out loud. So plz lets not be hypocrits here.

The best thing a parent can do is let his kid play whatever he wants but explain to him the best he can that it is fiction. Just like they do when a kid watched a thriller.

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

I kinda feel like when stupid points are brought up about video games that there is something seriously wrong with the people making them, due to the fact they are putting a rating system on our imagination and telling us what we can and cannot play, what we can and cannot see.  The only time people shouldnt be playing video games is when they have some kind of detachment from reality due to horrible parenting.

• TDU13TDU13 Member Posts: 44

its simply a rating system. no one is regulating what you can and cannot see. its there for parents who are not in-tune with games to make a good judgment on the contents of the game and then to decided whether the content is appropriate.

If thousands of parents think their child is mature enough to handle it then thats their call. it doesn't matter whether we agree or disagree. its more of a suggestion than a law, which is what you are making it out to be. they are still children. whether the child is mature enough to handle it, the law doesn't care. they decided until you are 17 you need parental consent to get such content. they are not telling anyone they absolutely cannot play certain games.

• demented669demented669 Member Posts: 402

if the parents are parents they will look or play at what there kids want to look at or play with then will use there own mind and say yes this is ok or no this is no ok for my kid any other parent that just looks at a raiting system for all the info about somthing they will give to there kids is a moron like the FOX people that say there is full sex in mass effect educated parents are the bests ones around others that just let the media tell them what is good and bad are sheep and need to be nutred

• TibbzTibbz Member UncommonPosts: 613

i could really care less to tell you the truth.  If they become an annoyance I will just use the good 'ole /ignore.  hehe

• Aiimee-eAiimee-e Member Posts: 10

I have a 7 Year Old brother...

He's been playing games since he was 5 ...He use to be naughty and didn't eat properly.

But now he started gaming he's good and he eats  Anyway..getting to the point.. He plays Grand Theft Auto...(San Andreas,Vice City And Liberty) He also Plays Star wars and all that..He's an amazing kid..

He's not rude doesnt swear..And yes..He proberly will get AOC sometime.

But what's the point rating games..Even little kids get there own way..even if i buy it for myself he will grab it and play..If he get's violent obviously take the games and console/PC away.

• trinityNITROtrinityNITRO Member Posts: 72

Originally posted by rapt0r0

Well my main thing about 17+/18+ games is the fact that kids are immature. The violence part becomes an issue when the person is to immature or doesn't have a fully functional mindset to separate the game world and the real world. If a person can not separate those two things then they shouldn't partake in movies, tv shows, games or anything to that nature. If a parents child can not separate those things then the parent should do his/her job and keep the child from partaking in those things. The age restrictions will cause more people to desire the game such as age limits on alcohol and driving and what not. People want what they can not have, it's a part of human nature. It is up to parents to control the child and decide wither or not the child should play it. Parents now days seem very irresponsible in terms of modesty and controlling children. You can walk around the local mall and see exactly what I'm talking about. 7yo girls with cell phones, mini skirts and tube tops is ridiculous  and shows the level of morals and control imho. Kids will have this game just as easily as people who meet the age requirement there will be no question of that.
    I have to agree that it's the parents responsibility to determine what their children can and cannot handle.  Also, parents are the ones who are going to pay the subscription fee's so it's the parents who will allow their kids the opportunity to play, or not to play.  Yes, a 13 year-old could find a way to get the game, but how are they going to get a credit card??  Only with the parents permission!

Personally, I see kiddies flocking to the "most popular MMO's"  I think most kiddies will be attracted to a game like WOW, more than AOC.  My personal experience is that most kids don't go buy a game before watching someone else play it, and most of their friends won't be playing this game.  I think the fanbase will have the least amount of 13-16's in any MMO ever.  Also, I believe it's our responsibility to set an example for these young players.  Personallly, I act the same around adults and kids!!  I'm just not a big fan of bad language so I don't use it under any circumstances.  It doesn't bother me when other people do it, but I want the kiddies to know you don't have to swear for people to take you seriously!  When you do encounter an underage player, allow that player the same respect you would an adult.  You would be surprised the amount of underage players that can act like an adult, and play really strategically!

• Dangrel13Dangrel13 Member Posts: 8

What does everybody think of requiring you to provide your drivers license number, or even your social security number, to play?

Kids can still get these items from their parents, but I think it would prevent a lot of them from doing so. It seems some parents don't even think twice about letting their child use their credit card. But if the kid starts asking for a social security or drivers license number, then I think that makes the parent more suspicious and less likely to oblige.

• trinityNITROtrinityNITRO Member Posts: 72

I personally think it's an awesome idea!  It would really make parents think about why in the world their child needs their drivers license number.  Problem is: it would be a lot of work for FUNCOM and ultimately they might find it burdensome after people keep screaming WTF why do you need my license number I bought an M-RATED game.  All-in-all it defeats the purpose of having a rating system, but hey it won't bother me.  (I'm not interested in givning out my ss number though)

• khartokhar3khartokhar3 Member UncommonPosts: 486

actually my children arent old enough to play (both 2 years ) but for sure i would allow them to play the game if they were old enough. and as it has been said before there will always be annoyin ppl no matter if kids play or not..and i think everyone who have children can better deal (or ignor) with annoyin ppl/kids

• freakomarfreakomar Member Posts: 415

Agreed, a lot of kids playing... Same  with WAR perhaps... I hope not though.

Played almost everything...
    Currently playing nothing...
    Waiting for: Darkfall, WAR, Guild Wars 2.