Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BEWARE: SCAM...check this out

I just got this in my e-mail box not 5 minutes ago, and I after I stopped laughing I realized that some people may not see it for the scam that it is.  Also I have never looked into buying gold ever.  Please see below:

It is pretty freaking obvious that turbine would already have all the "Verification Information"  please be aware of this BS.

Your The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar account has been

suspected of account trading/selling. We must verify that you're the original owner of this account and that you did not attempt anything that would break the Code of Conduct that would put this account in danger of being suspended. If you fail to reply to this email within the next 48 hours with the information needed we will be forced to put a permanent suspension on this account and any that may be linked to it for suspected unauthorized selling, buying, transferring or sharing access to any Game account.

Suspension Notice

***Verification Information needed in order to Verify this account***

Account Name:

Account Password:

CD-Key used to activate this account:

Any emails that may be linked to this account:

The date of when you last logged into this account:

Secret Question and Answer:

Specifically, a Game Master determined that you or someone who had access to your account attempted to sell your

account via
(link removed)

The Code of Conduct clearly states "... 10. You may not advertise the

intent to, commit the act of, or facilitate the ability of others to

commit the act of, unauthorized selling, buying, transferring or sharing

access to any Game account." 

You can find more information regarding the associated policy at the

following URL:(link removed)

Our ultimate goal is to provide an appropriately safe, fun, and

engaging experience for our entire player community. To that end, the Player

Code of Conduct must be enforced.

Note that all

account actions are taken only after a significant amount of research and

verification is performed to ensure proper Code of Conduct enforcement. Thank you for your

cooperation.

Turbine In-Game Support Team

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

Comments

• elvenangelelvenangel Member Posts: 2,205

Smart thinking..you shoudl also send a copy of this to Turbine's Staff so they can send out a general notice and look into where the email came from

Please Refer to Doom Cat with all conspiracies & evil corporation complaints. He'll give you the simple explination of..WE"RE ALL DOOMED!

• alyndalealyndale Member UncommonPosts: 936
    Originally posted by 8hammer8

I just got this in my e-mail box not 5 minutes ago, and I after I stopped laughing I realized that some people may not see it for the scam that it is.  Also I have never looked into buying gold ever.  Please see below:
    It is pretty freaking obvious that turbine would already have all the "Verification Information"  please be aware of this BS.
    Your The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar account has been

suspected of account trading/selling. We must verify that you're the original owner of this account and that you did not attempt anything that would break the Code of Conduct that would put this account in danger of being suspended. If you fail to reply to this email within the next 48 hours with the information needed we will be forced to put a permanent suspension on this account and any that may be linked to it for suspected unauthorized selling, buying, transferring or sharing access to any Game account.

Suspension Notice

***Verification Information needed in order to Verify this account***

Account Name:

Account Password:

CD-Key used to activate this account:

Any emails that may be linked to this account:

The date of when you last logged into this account:

Secret Question and Answer:

Specifically, a Game Master determined that you or someone who had access to your account attempted to sell your

account via
    (link removed)

The Code of Conduct clearly states "... 10. You may not advertise the

intent to, commit the act of, or facilitate the ability of others to

commit the act of, unauthorized selling, buying, transferring or sharing

access to any Game account." 

You can find more information regarding the associated policy at the

following URL:(link removed)

Our ultimate goal is to provide an appropriately safe, fun, and

engaging experience for our entire player community. To that end, the Player

Code of Conduct must be enforced.

Note that all

account actions are taken only after a significant amount of research and

verification is performed to ensure proper Code of Conduct enforcement. Thank you for your

cooperation.

Turbine In-Game Support Team

Knowing that only a very fractional percentage of gamers actually use forums at all, think about the ones that this might a first-time experience.  Think also that they may not realize that NO gaming company or their representattves,aka, GM's would ever ask for your personal information especially your password.

All I want is the truth
    Just gimme some truth
    John Lennon

• alvastenalvasten Member UncommonPosts: 20

Turbine came out with a notice on the patcher last night sating this. Getting the information out to people is good.

On a similar note , WOW seems to be under siege from hackers. More than a few fiends have had thier account hacked, characters deleted, or accounts used. My account was used by a gold farmer who used a stolen CC to pay for my account.  Blizzard got my account back and I had alot of gold and items that was not in my account.

• DracisDracis Member Posts: 434

Originally posted by elvenangel

Smart thinking..you shoudl also send a copy of this to Turbine's Staff so they can send out a general notice and look into where the email came from

Even though I don't play LotRO, this is exactly what should be done.

Here's a link to find out about the person who sent the email: http://www.johnru.com/active-whois/trace-email.html . Just Google it and you will find out more ways to trace an email as well.

• 8hammer88hammer8 Member Posts: 1,812

I submitted a request to Turbines support and post in the LOTRO support forums.  Hopefully this gets killed quickly. 

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

• HousamHousam Member Posts: 1,460

well hopefully nobody is stupid enough to get fooled by this email :)

• strutter78strutter78 Member Posts: 90

This tactic has been tried in WoW also, and unfortunatly before the word got out many accounts were compromised. Even though a lot of LoTR players may not read these forums....post on the official one, and report it to Turbine so they can take steps. The best way to see if the e-mail is bogus, is to look at the e-mail address...it will usually have a clue that the mail is false.

"I'm a Alpha male on Beta blockers"-The Immortal George Carlin

RIP
    Ronnie James Dio 2010(The greatest Voice in Rock)

• alyndalealyndale Member UncommonPosts: 936

Originally posted by Housam

I feel the same way Housam, but experience has shown me that there are many that would be fooled and send in that info thus becoming a victim of a hacking.

I saw a previous post where it would be a wise and prudent move to send a copy of this e-mail   to the officials at the gaming company.  I totally agree with that as something should be done before next Monday.

I wonder how many players where sent this e-mail.  Usually e-mails like this spam would be bulk.

All I want is the truth
    Just gimme some truth
    John Lennon

Originally posted by strutter78

This tactic has been tried in WoW also, and unfortunatly before the word got out many accounts were compromised. Even though a lot of LoTR players may not read these forums....post on the official one, and report it to Turbine so they can take steps. The best way to see if the e-mail is bogus, is to look at the e-mail address...it will usually have a clue that the mail is false.

The e-mail address was actually somewhat believable...  what was confusing at first before I read was why they were throwing all these other e-mail addresses into the TO: section (edit: there were 10 visable e-mail addresses on the e-mail to me /end edit)

I would post the e-mail address here so people could spam it, but it would probably just get a fat <MOD EDIT>

• TweejTweej Member UncommonPosts: 115

Just read this post and checked my Gmail... I got this too... now i'm not stupid enough to fall for this but how did they get my Email? And asked my gf if she would fall for it... she said she would... but would have asked me first... SCARY

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Beyond them somehow getting your email from the forums... it could be a general phish type thing.

I get emails every day about people disputing some ebay thing.  I haven't sold or bought on ebay for about 2 years now.  Oh plus every item number that these scam emails use.. is always some currently active auction (you can't dispute payment on an item that hasn't sold...)

So they don't really try to be overly intellegent about it.

So they spoof the link in the email.. but very few of them make it so a simple.. right click and properties check doesn't show you the real url...

I get them all the time about credit card accounts... which the best part is.. its always some bank I don't deal with.

So for a long time I'd go to whatever banks site.. and find their report fraud link.. and forward the email and the real url...

but I honestly get so many of these kind of emails I just don't have time.

Haven't got any about my mmo accounts yet to be honest.

Originally posted by Tweej

Just read this post and checked my Gmail... I got this too... now i'm not stupid enough to fall for this but how did they get my Email? And asked my gf if she would fall for it... she said she would... but would have asked me first... SCARY

I think it is scary that people take a lot of this type stuff at face value...oh an e-mail from a company I know it must be real.

My second thought was also, how did they get my e-mail, but all they have to do is grab information off of these forums or the LOTRO one and poof they have it.  Not really much I can do but sit back and laugh at these things.

Hopefully everyone else laughs to and does not hit Reply and give them answers.

• daylight01daylight01 Member Posts: 2,250

the thing that pisses me off the most about these people is right now there will be some kids that have answered to these type of posts and have been scammed as they didnt know any better,SHAME on you people!!!!

If someone had came up to me in 1980 when I was on my Atari 2600 and said we will be playing games with thousands of people at the same time.I guess my response would have been,"but I only have 2 joysticks"

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/235780/page/8

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

Originally posted by strutter78

e-mail adress can be faked aswell nowdays.

Originally posted by daylight01

the thing that pisses me off the most about these people is right now there will be some kids that have answered to these type of posts and have been scammed as they didnt know any better,SHAME on you people!!!!

I felt bad a little bit on this too, but then I also know that LOTRO's community overall has seemed to be a little bit more mature than the average MMO.  Not saying that older people wouldn't fall for this, but they may be a little more wary of something than a younger person might be. 

Also I am hoping that any parents allowing their child to use their CC for an online game would check out what was going on before handing it over.  I know...I know a little bit too much to ask, but one can hope.

I was going to same something bad about the people doing this, but it won't change and you have to see the bad part of mankind in order to appreciate those things that are good.

• Harpy_LadyHarpy_Lady Member Posts: 137

That email reminds me of a spoof email I received a few years ago that also wanted my card number and pin number - BUT "only if I don't plan to change the pin in the next 48 hours" !

I laughed so hard I almost fell off my chair.

Also there is a site where you can copy and paste (or type) in the URL and the site will check to see if it's a real link or something suspicious.

Kudos for getting the word out on this one.

• rikiliirikilii Member UncommonPosts: 1,084

I'm surprised they didn't ask for your SSN, bank account, and credit card number for good measure.

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055

Originally posted by alyndale

Originally posted by Housam

I feel the same way Housam, but experience has shown me that there are many that would be fooled and send in that info thus becoming a victim of a hacking.

I saw a previous post where it would be a wise and prudent move to send a copy of this e-mail   to the officials at the gaming company.  I totally agree with that as something should be done before next Monday.

I wonder how many players where sent this e-mail.  Usually e-mails like this spam would be bulk.

If you give out your account info, scam or otherwise, your account is not hacked.  /pet peeve

Good looking out warning people about this. 

The email is very polished looking but when it comes down to it, Turbine and other gaming companies are very adamant about the fact that they, nor their representatives, will ever ask a player for their personal information.

Sometimes it really pays to read all the fine print so that you are not so easily duped by scams like this.  As soon as you get to the part asking for account infomation, all players should be suspect. 

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

• AethiosAethios Member Posts: 1,527

Originally posted by Einherjar_LC
    As soon as you get to the part asking for account infomation, all players should be suspect.

Yes, especially the password. There is no reason to ask for it. Why would they need to? The account is on their database, they can make any changes they want to it.

I also have to agree on the clarification of the term "hacking." It's a carryover from my years of playing Runescape, when "getting hacked" was a common term thrown around by people who were trying to cheat and got a virus. If you hand out your password, you did not "get hacked," you're just an idiot.

• ramothinramothin Member UncommonPosts: 15

Originally posted by Aethios

As soon as you get to the part asking for account infomation, all players should be suspect.

Yes, especially the password. There is no reason to ask for it. Why would they need to? The account is on their database, they can make any changes they want to it.

I also have to agree on the clarification of the term "hacking." It's a carryover from my years of playing Runescape, when "getting hacked" was a common term thrown around by people who were trying to cheat and got a virus. If you hand out your password, you did not "get hacked," you're just an idiot.

It's called Social Engineering and it is hacking.  Your not hacking a computer, your hacking the human mind to access the information.  It's a crime and totally robbery.

Ramothin
    "None of us are as strong as all of us!
    [url=http://www.signaturebar.com/][img]http://www.sign

• darkraptordarkraptor Member Posts: 178

Originally posted by ramothin

Originally posted by Aethios

It's called Social Engineering and it is hacking.  Your not hacking a computer, your hacking the human mind to access the information.  It's a crime and totally robbery.

I won't say its robbery, I will say its a very bad thing to do. It's definitely taking advantage of unsuspecting people.

With that said, I wonder if a game company will ever try this approach:

Sending an email back with false information (Coordinate with an in-game GM) - so that they have a list of "fake accounts and logins" to give to the scammers, so that they can trace the address the scammers try to log in with. Since it's kinda hard to play a game behind a suitably fast proxy it would be pretty easy to track back the scammers. Oh, and you could reply with a spamgourmet address so that they can't set you up with more spam.

/rant

• LiddokunLiddokun Member UncommonPosts: 1,665

This is pretty much a standard scam in MMO and people still fall for it. Note: A game company DOES NOT need your password to verify an account, in fact any game company asking for your password is assuredly 100% scam.

Even though it looks like they already knew what was going on, Turbine was nice enough to reply to my submitted issue on this scam:

Response:

Greetings (Name),

Thanks for this mail. It's much appreciated.

As you mentioned, Turbine will never ask for an account's password.

We will be forwarding the contents of your email upwards for

investigation.

Thank you again for this report, and please let us know if you ever

need assistance.

Thank you,

The Turbine Customer Service Team

My first experience with Turbine's customer service was a good one, better than I can say for some companies.

• KazzerKazzer Member Posts: 648

that wa sthe first thing i thought when i saw ur post OP. they nerver ask about password, nerver, good going by reporting it

• LiddokunLiddokun Member UncommonPosts: 1,665

Turbine probably has one of the best customer service rep. in any mmo.