Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Were did all this Plat come from?

So I decided to log back into the game for the first time since last April.  I was never in a guild and I had no friends as I did not play for long enough because of computer issues back then.  I jump onto my old character and I look at the money line and I see 288 plat / 2022 g / X s / X c....and I go WTF??.  Now the thing is,  that character is only 2 Rouge / 1 Fight for a total of 3 levels.  I just created a character and and am level 2 with a total of 1.5 plat.  I don't see how I would get 287 plat in the next span of 1 level.  I have never in my life even look at buying gold off a site either.

Is there some kind of rest gold instead of rest XP?  Is it normal for a character to have that much $$ at that level?

I am not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I also like to work my character and grow in every aspect which includes the coin bag.

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

Comments

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

I just started playing this game a week ago and am only level 3 and have well over 300 plat.

1 plat = 10 gold here so it's not really that much.

Here's something to note... if you pick up 30 gold from a chest, and then 170 more from another, you have 200 gold. But if you sell something for 200 gold to a shop, it gives you 20 plat.

I haven't tried but I imagine you can convert your gold to plat in a bank... maybe?

• 8hammer88hammer8 Member Posts: 1,812

Make sense then...I guess it has just been too long sense I played.  Thanks for the response...

Well back to the game.

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

• mindspatmindspat Member Posts: 1,367

Platinum is easily accesible and I wouldn't be surprised if you had 20k plat by the time you were level 5.  Loot a good item and you can make quite a bit by selling it. 

Oh, and welcome back!

• Unicorns_PwnUnicorns_Pwn Member Posts: 427

I had nearly 50 plat by the time my character hit lvl 2 ( talk about luck) and I had yet to realize the rule of 10.. there I thought I had figured out some secret fountain of wealth :)

• 8hammer88hammer8 Member Posts: 1,812

Originally posted by Unicorns_Pwn

I had nearly 50 plat by the time my character hit lvl 2 ( talk about luck) and I had yet to realize the rule of 10.. there I thought I had figured out some secret fountain of wealth :)

LOL...guilty obviously of the same thing...it is good to be back.

I had to stop playing the game because I was working off of an intergrated graphics chip and sound card and i was propably getting 10-13 fps and that might work for click and stand there combat....but does not cut it in this game.  It also helps that Turbine patched up the graphics...now with an 8600 + seperate sound card settings on ultra high, life is good once again in Eberron.

*edit: spelling not a strong point at 12:45 AM*

• WrymstrumWrymstrum Member Posts: 196

The way they handle gold/play is just stupid and confusing IMO. 

~~~ Currently Playing ~~~
    LOTRO- Guardian Wrymstrum & Lore-master Stabler on Nimrodel.

Conan- Zoltar <Angels of Death> Guardian on Stormrage.

Originally posted by Wrymstrum

I do not understand what you mean.  Could you elaborate a little? 

Thanks in advance.  ;)

Originally posted by mindspat

Thanks in advance.  ;)

Most games that I have seen convert units of 100 of one type of coin to 1 unit of another.  So if I have 50 copper and I loot 51 more, it converts it to 1 silver and 01 copper.   Acutally it's similar to cents and dollars.  Imagine if people went around talking about dimes and dollars.  "Oh i've got 11 dollars and 38 dimes ".  Um...  You have 14 dollars and 80 cents. 

• WikkedbowtieWikkedbowtie Member Posts: 494

Originally posted by mindspat

Thanks in advance.  ;)

Most games that I have seen convert units of 100 of one type of coin to 1 unit of another.  So if I have 50 copper and I loot 51 more, it converts it to 1 silver and 01 copper.   Acutally it's similar to cents and dollars.  Imagine if people went around talking about dimes and dollars.  "Oh i've got 11 dollars and 38 dimes ".  Um...  You have 14 dollars and 80 cents. 

Doesn't really matter what most games do. The money conversion in D&D was established a long time ago. We're talkin before people even thought of MMORPGs.

• Jeff44Jeff44 Member Posts: 459

No, no, no.

Despite the fact that these conventions were established decades ago, long before MMO's were a glimmer in Garriot's eye, the fact remains that this game does not do this one thing just like every other MMORPG out there.

Therefore, it is "stupid".

Well, something is, anyway.

user

Originally posted by Jeff44

No, no, no.
    Despite the fact that these conventions were established decades ago, long before MMO's were a glimmer in Garriot's eye, the fact remains that this game does not do this one thing just like every other MMORPG out there.

First off, when/where these conventions were established is irrelevant.  The point is that they aren't very logical.  And it's not just other MMO's that use more logical conventions for unit conversion.  It's everything from time to US currency.   When you have enough of a smaller unit to convert it to a larger unit, you do it and just list the remainder of the smaller unit.  Two hours and 45 minutes.  Not one hour and 105 minutes.  Five dollars and 50 cents.  Not two dollars and 300 cents.  This is just common sense. 

• HvymetalHvymetal Member Posts: 355

No, no, no.

First off, when/where these conventions were established is irrelevant.  The point is that they aren't very logical.  And it's not just other MMO's that use more logical conventions for unit conversion.  It's everything from time to US currency.   When you have enough of a smaller unit to convert it to a larger unit, you do it and just list the remainder of the smaller unit.  Two hours and 45 minutes.  Not one hour and 105 minutes.  Five dollars and 50 cents.  Not two dollars and 300 cents.  This is just common sense. 

No, I would say perhaps inconvenient compared to the way other MMO's try to simplify things for their payer base but no less stupid than real life.

Since we are talking about money here let's use a real world analogy about money then, makes a lot more sense than trying to use one about time.

If I have in my pocket a dollar bill and 23 pennys. I then find 90 pennys in my ashtray and put them in my pocket, do I then have 2 dollar bills and 13 pennys or do I have 1 dollar bill and 113 pennys in my pocket? It is no more stupid than real life......

• abbabaabbaba Member Posts: 1,143

It's stupid because it doesn't conform to an almost universal standard. That makes it counter intuitive and difficult to learn.

It would be like making a car with the gas and brake pedals in opposite positions.

• Penny Arcade made a good joke with it too

• VincenzVincenz Member Posts: 1,498

Originally posted by abbaba

It's stupid because it doesn't conform to an almost universal standard. That makes it counter intuitive and difficult to learn.
    It would be like making a car with the gas and brake pedals in opposite positions.

What "universal standard"???

This game is DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS ONLINE.

Dungeons and Dragons has existed for decades, and their monetary system has as well...guess what...this is it.

From the SRD

If you really find this so confusing, I'm wondering how you deal on a real world basis with nickels and dimes and quarters...

• AethiosAethios Member Posts: 1,527

Acutally it's similar to cents and dollars. Imagine if people went around talking about dimes and dollars. "Oh i've got 11 dollars and 38 dimes ". Um... You have 14 dollars and 80 cents.

I imagine this is exactly why they did it. D&D has been doing this since it first came out. I imagine it was to make you think about how much money you had, and give you that immersive feeling that people in the Medieval times didn't always make sense, but they did it anyways.

• Unicorns_PwnUnicorns_Pwn Member Posts: 427

10 dollars is 10 dollars regardless if it's a single 10 dollar bill or a couple of 5's. A plat is 10 Gold so if you have 3000 gold and 20 plat you have 3200 Gold. It's all simple math really and already a part of the system long before anyone else tried to come up with their own money system. It doesn't bother me one bit as since I've learned it and now it's just second nature to me.

Maybe I'm missing the point, but as far as I know there is no magic wallet that will take a couple 5 dollar bills and magically turn them into a 10.

That's the logic they follow whether you like it or not, and technically it is a bit more realistic when you think about it.

Did we conclude that only smart people play DDO?

p.s. I have 14 quarters in my pocket - my washing machine does not take bills thus it's fed 4 quarters and not 1 dollar.

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

No, no, no.

So you carry a US Mint around in your pocket do you?  So whenever you have 10 one dollar bills they just magically change into a 10 dollar bill for you?  Or do you need to go to a bank and exchange those 10 bills for 1 $10 bill?   That's right, you go to the bank... OR you go to the store and buy something and they  make change for you.  That's how it works in DDO.

Not like it matters.  Coins don't weigh anything.  And the instant you buy something your money gets converted anyway so it really doesn't matter.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• TyrranosaurTyrranosaur Member UncommonPosts: 284

No, no, no.

I want your wallet. It sounds way cool. When I stick $3.00 in change in to my pocket, and I pull it out later, I still have a handful of quarters, dimes and nickels. When I put ten $1 bills in to my wallet, I later check and still have ten $1 bills. If I had your wallet, then I guess if I put that change in my pocket and ones in my wallet I'd later be able to pull out a ten dollar bill and three one dollar bills (or even better, a two dollar bill and a one dollar bill).

The reason DDO doesn't do this pretty basic, but simple: if you earn gold, you earn gold. If you earn silver, you earn silver. There is no automatic exchange rate, and it allows you to factor in wealth carried on person, just like in the paper and pencil game it is based off of. It is also a (very slight) nod to the much more complicated system of coinage that historically dominated finance and commerce prior to the invention of the paper dollar. Hell, it's not supposed to be realistic, but it's also not supposed to be about modern finances....but mind you, I have a hard time swallowing the idea that a bank as such could exist in a medieval realm wracked with monsters and battle ala DDO, WoW, or any other game....but I accept it is a handy device to have in-game. Now, a system which automatically converts one's gold to platinum for easy hauling is cool, but defeats the whole "this money is really on your person, somewhere" component of the DDO style, I think.

Of course, then I'd wonder just how and where my character carries all that crap in his backpack.....although the problem isn't "quite" as obvious as with WoW or some other games, I suppose, though I'll grant that my archer, if rendered in reality with all his goods, would look pretty silly walking around with 1000 arrows on his back.

Well, so okay, I guess I see your point! We don't really have magic wallets and pant pockets in reality (maybe you do, I don't) but I guess it wouldn't hurt too much to have them in the pseudoreality of MMOs. Hmmm.

Current MMOs: Rift, GW2, Defiance
    Blog: http://realmsofchirak.blogspot.com (old school tabletop gaming and more)

The point I was making with the example of US currency is that if you were going to express to someone what you have, you wouldn't list them the numbers of the types of bills and coins you have.  You would convert it to X dollars and Y cents.

And the game does seem to do conversions to higher units, but only at certain times instead of automatically. 

I guess my point of view is that the UI is just displaying the sum total of your wealth, so to me it makes sense to do automatic conversions. 

• dollkitdollkit Member Posts: 8

Yeah I always found it really weird when you had something like 50 silver and you find 50 silver and then you suddenly have 1 gold. Did I just throw out the 100 silver and the magical exchange fairy give me a gold piece?

• RiddikulusRiddikulus Member Posts: 88

The point I was making with the example of US currency is that if you were going to express to someone what you have, you wouldn't list them the numbers of the types of bills and coins you have.  You would convert it to X dollars and Y cents.

And the game does seem to do conversions to higher units, but only at certain times instead of automatically. 
    I guess my point of view is that the UI is just displaying the sum total of your wealth, so to me it makes sense to do automatic conversions. 
    I don't think it ever does "conversions".   The only time I've noticed my copper/silver going away is when I spend it.