Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard sue the pirate bay?

2»

Comments

• AethiosAethios Member Posts: 1,527

Originally posted by feac
    Originally posted by Aethios

Originally posted by Pappy13
    It oesn't matter that it's free, you still want them to get it from your website.

Except Blizzard isn't offering it on their website. That's why it's on Pirate Bay.

u didnt even look huge great link on front page of thier website for both old wow and TBC
    old wow https://signup.worldofwarcraft.com/trial/10dayfreetrial.htm download link is in bottom right corner u cant miss it it says PC or mac
    tbc is http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/burningcrusade/trial/splash.html and is aimed at old returning players

I did look. Several times.

"Free 10-day trial" is not the same thing as "download the full game here," even if the trial IS the full game. The links attached to player accounts, for some unknown reason, download the full expansion, but not the base game. When I went to reinstall last year, I searched and searched, and downloaded "clients" from all over before I was finally told (on a forum, of all places) that the free trial (which, since I already have an account, I hadn't looked at) contains the full game.

If Blizzard wants people to download from their own servers, they should be a little bit more open about where the files are and how best to download them.

On a side note, I would find it ironic if Blizzard decided to sue TPB since they are using Torrent protocol to officially distribute the client and patches.

• Pappy13Pappy13 Member Posts: 2,138

The links attached to player accounts, for some unknown reason, download the full expansion, but not the base game.

Wrong.  If you already have an account all you have to do is click on "account management" from the main webpage.  Enter your user information which will show you a page with "acccount type" about 1/2 way down the page on the left which will say either 'World of Warcraft" or "Burning Crusade" depending on if you have upgraded the account or not.  Next to that is a clickable link that says "download" and it will download the appropriate client for you.

Originally posted by TyrScoti

Actually,
     Neither of your arguments "matter".  In Philosophy, it is called a "False Analogy"...
     WoW is not a pizza, or a pizza company, or a pizza driver, or a chef.  And until they are the same, it will always be a false analogy.
     Just for sum edumacachun.

Actually that's not a false analogy.  All analogies compare similar, not identical things.  Just because they are not identical, that doesn't make the analogy false.  What makes an analogy false is when it's assumed that just because there are some similarities between the things being compared, then it is assumed that all things are similar between the items being compared.  That's not necessarily true.

For instance for our analogy I was comparing WoW and pizza's in the way they are "delivered".  If I were to then conclude that since WoW and pizza's are "delivered" in a similar matter that they then must be enjoyed in a similar manner as well, that would be a false analogy.  So if I said that WoW needed to be served hot and fresh out of the oven to be truly enjoyed because Pizza's are, that doesn't make any sense because while pizza's and WoW are both items which can be obtained thru a "middleman" ie the delivery person, they are not both for consumption.  A Pizza is, whereas WoW is not therefore the analogy breaks down in that regard.  But since we were only talking about how Pizza's and WoW are obtained and not how they are enjoyed and since the way they can be obtained is indeed very similar in some regards, the analogy is fine.

You're correct in that neither of our opinions matter.  Opinions never do.

• Mimimi_RuMimimi_Ru Member Posts: 41

Blizzard has 0.000% chance of geting anything done VS thepiratebay. Their borderline "untouchable".

MIMI

Originally posted by Mimimi_Ru

Blizzard has 0.000% chance of geting anything done VS thepiratebay. Their borderline "untouchable".

Like Napster?  The more success and notoriety that companies like thepiratebay gather, the better their chances of being shut down for good.  I give them a year or 2 maybe now that Blizzard/Activision has targeted them.

Originally posted by Aethios The links attached to player accounts, for some unknown reason, download the full expansion, but not the base game.

Wrong. If you already have an account all you have to do is click on "account management" from the main webpage. Enter your user information which will show you a page with "acccount type" about 1/2 way down the page on the left which will say either 'World of Warcraft" or "Burning Crusade" depending on if you have upgraded the account or not. Next to that is a clickable link that says "download" and it will download the appropriate client for you.

Yes, it downloads the appropriate client, which happens to be Burning Crusade (and NOT the full game). After downloading this, I tried to install, when it promptly told me I needed to install the base game before continuing.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Originally posted by Mimimi_Ru

Like Napster?  The more success and notoriety that companies like thepiratebay gather, the better their chances of being shut down for good.  I give them a year or 2 maybe now that Blizzard/Activision has targeted them.

I give 'em less than that. Demonoid already got shut down months back and wasn't even as high profile as piratebay.

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

Perhaps WoW isn't the software title Blizzard are sueing over.

Ultimately sueing people isn't going to change that people can now all print their own DvD's and self distribute software without the need for giant multinational publishing companies.

It's over for them. Predictably they are going down fighting, it's been a well paid job for many decades after all. I wouldn't be keen to just roll over either.

But ultimately, it's still the same problem, no one needs them anymore. Technology has rendered their entire industry a dodo. Even if they move with the times, the glory days of mega billion profits are going to start waning.

• JelloB2000JelloB2000 Member CommonPosts: 1,848

Originally posted by Zorvan
    Originally posted by Mimimi_Ru Blizzard has 0.000% chance of geting anything done VS thepiratebay. Their borderline "untouchable".

Like Napster? The more success and notoriety that companies like thepiratebay gather, the better their chances of being shut down for good. I give them a year or 2 maybe now that Blizzard/Activision has targeted them.

I give 'em less than that. Demonoid already got shut down months back and wasn't even as high profile as piratebay.

Demonoid was not a swedish company operating under swedish law.

There has been a verdict similar to this charge in sweden; one guy was linking to sites that had mp3 files of copyrighted music.
    The verdict was that he was not breaking any (swedish) law.
    Basically a torrent-file (supplied from TPA) has no copyrighted information, only information on what people do have files. The TPB-servers have no copyrighted files on them, only torrent-files. So the only verdict that can be applied to this case is the judgment from the mp3-case.

(But do remember in swedish law similar/same verdicts only come in third place when determining punishment & if a crime has occurred. (First place is law text and in second is judgment/knowledge of judges, if I recall my social studies correctly).

Regarding pizza-example: a better example would be search engines, it is if someone sued google for "helping with copyright violations" since they provide links to sites that have copyrighted files.

• devacoredevacore Member UncommonPosts: 340

If this is the only crime, I hope they win but sounds like they have their hands into other things as well.

Originally posted by JelloB2000

This is probably the single most important point in the whole thread.

The reason TPB cannot be defeated by Blizzard has less to do with them not breaking the laws, and more to do with the fact that the laws are different in Sweden. American law is so messed up, we can be fined hundreds of thousands of dollars for listening to a CD in a way that the media companies don't like. Rip the CD and share it with your wife/husband? You'll pay us your salary for the rest of your life.

The Swedes have got it figured out, and aren't willing to permanently imprison people for putting up Internet street-signs.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

This is probably the single most important point in the whole thread.

The reason TPB cannot be defeated by Blizzard has less to do with them not breaking the laws, and more to do with the fact that the laws are different in Sweden. American law is so messed up, we can be fined hundreds of thousands of dollars for listening to a CD in a way that the media companies don't like. Rip the CD and share it with your wife/husband? You'll pay us your salary for the rest of your life.

The Swedes have got it figured out, and aren't willing to permanently imprison people for putting up Internet street-signs.

Well, maybe I better shoot Deimos a shout to move to Sweden.  'Cause they were last based in Canada when shut down.

• BladinBladin Member UncommonPosts: 1,089

The links attached to player accounts, for some unknown reason, download the full expansion, but not the base game.

Wrong. If you already have an account all you have to do is click on "account management" from the main webpage. Enter your user information which will show you a page with "acccount type" about 1/2 way down the page on the left which will say either 'World of Warcraft" or "Burning Crusade" depending on if you have upgraded the account or not. Next to that is a clickable link that says "download" and it will download the appropriate client for you.

Yes, it downloads the appropriate client, which happens to be Burning Crusade (and NOT the full game). After downloading this, I tried to install, when it promptly told me I needed to install the base game before continuing.

I downloaded tbc and the original client from the wow site, since i lost one of my cds.

So your wrong. End of discussion.

Sorry, I misunderstood what you meant.  I thought you were getting the wrong client.  I see what you mean and yes it's a bit confusing I must admit since you first have to find and download the original client to upgrade to the expansion.  That could be done a little smoother I'll admit.  Still it can be done from Blizzard's website, you don't have to go to Piratebay for it.

Regarding pizza-example: a better example would be search engines, it is if someone sued google for "helping with copyright violations" since they provide links to sites that have copyrighted files.
    However search engines do not supply you with the software necessary to download those files. Piratebay is providing a tool to download the files, it's more than just a search engine.  You can argue that you don't have to get the software from Piratebay, but Piratebay provides you with the means to do it and does not attempt to stop you from doing it.  That's really the key as laws are getting tougher and it's not simply enough for companies to say they don't condone downloading copyrighted materials while making it extremely easy to do so.  Napster tried to hide behind the same laws and eventually they lost.  Piratebay will too, eventually.  Too much money at stake for that not to happen.

And don't think even for a minute that just because they are in Sweden they can't be touched.  Why else would they have a backup plan in the event they are raided again?  They know it's possible and probably enevitable they will be attempted to be shut down again.