Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You are walking down a long, dark corridor...

On either side of you are fizzling torches emitting only a little light as they are held in heavy iron rings affixed to the stone walls.  To the left you see an iron-bound door.  To your right, there is a wooden door with a brass handle.  Do you...

Open the (I)ron bound door?  Open the (W)ooden Door?  Or (C)ontinue down the corridor?

Please make your selection to proceed:  (I) , (W) , (C)

Your name: Nysden

Your hit points: 10/10

Weapon: Wooden staff 1D6

((This thread is dedicated to all of you old school gamers out there who remember your first text-based RPG.  First to answer will get a response, so long as it's a valid answer.  If not, you'll get a "Syntax Error, please try again" :-p .  Name generated randomly from http://rinkworks.com/namegen/fnames.cgi?d=checked&f=0 .  Dice rolls generated at http://www.random.org/dice/ ))

Comments

• saint4Godsaint4God Member Posts: 699

Please make a selection

• CresilDamasCresilDamas Member Posts: 28

Haha, Perfect =3 Just bought D&D Tactics and just saying but, you know that you should get more of a 2D4 Wooden Staff or Heavy Mace 2D6 19-20.

Anyways, (I)

You opened the Iron Bound Door.

*unnecessary amount of spacings and screen scrolling*

Inside the small chamber on a padded wooden chair sits an armored balding man with a old, rusted 2-handed sword in one hand and a flagon of mead in the other.  The tip of the sword rests lazily on the floor as the elderly fighter takes a drink.  Behind him a fireplace burns timber, creating warmth through the stone room.  From the look in his glazed eyes along with the loose mannerisms, it seems he has been consuming the mead for quite some time. 

"What?!" he clears his throat, startled by your presence.  "Whateryoo...ah!  Sweeperboy.  Yes.  It's been years since my chamber has been cleaned, no sense in doing it now."  He looks over to the staff in your hand and laughs, "you broke your broom!  Bloody good luck trying to sweep the place now!"  Shifting in his chair, he becons.  "Right then, what is it you want... 

(A) ...you want to listen to an old man spin tales of honor and glory?"

(B) ...you want to learn how to become a great warrior?"

(C) ...you think you can challenge ME to a fight?  I warn you, I've slaughtered entire villages with my bare hands!"

(D) ...you have the wrong room?  Be on your way then and leave a veteran to his deserved peace." 

• RimmonRimmon Member Posts: 82

(c)

... - ..-. ..-

The intoxicated warrior lets out a powerful roar as he throws his flagon into the fire.  A burst of flame cause dark, heavy smoke to rise into the air.  He stands, seeming more steady and red-faced with anger.  "Right then, whelp, let me show YOU why they call me Skeluvor the Behemoth Scourge!"   The plated warrior raises his two-hand sword, then charges at your.  Every running footstep shakes the wooden floor with earthquake intensity.

Your choices are:

A ) Attack

B ) Block

C ) Run

D) Plead for mercy

• alkeoalkeo Member UncommonPosts: 24

Zork.  Sigh.  I think I'll take down my Infocom collection and play one for old times.

Till then:

(b)

You raise your wooden staff to block.  Skeluvor charges with his two-handed sword held high.  With a mighty downward swing he strikes!  The wooden staff breaks into half.  His sword comes down upon you! 

1 3 6 4 3 2 2 6 4 5

Skeluvor deals 36 points of damage!

...your hitpoints have been reduced by 36, totaling -26....

Thou art dead.

Experience: 0

Gold: 0

Highest Rank: Custodian 

Would you like to play again? Y/N

Welcome to Eyes of the Forest.  Press any key to continue.

"Wake up a$ ((these games always have some kind of random goofy error)).  You've been asleep for a long time.  I am Erina of the Woods," says an angelic image, "I've been sent to give you warning and a hope.  A dark force is slowly permeating the reaches of our land.  It's power is ancient, twisted in evil, bent on destruction.  We need your help a$, without it surely you and I will be no more.  Your might and mind are needed to fight back the approaching scouts, their army and ultimately the ruler of our foes.  You are not alone a$, we will help you where we can, though our resources are few.  Take this {Tablet of Forgiveness} with you on your journey.  We all make mistakes though we can afford very few of them.  The tablet will activate should your life be taken from you.  Our spirits will bring you back only one time so do be careful.  We're counting on you a$, go with courage!"

The dream fades away as daylight lifts open your eyes.  Above the sun is shining bright between the canopy of leaves.  Standing up, you find yourself among the company of very tall trees with green leaves that shimmer with the breeze.  Small shrubs dot the landscape as far as the eye can see. 

Name: Syzulu

Hitpoints: 8 / 8

Weapon: None

Item(s): Tablet of Forgiveness

Spell: Firestarter 1D6

In the distance, there are a few slightly worn pathways to travel on.  Which path will you take?

A ) One leading to the thicker part of the forest?

B ) The heavily worn road with deep wagon tracks?

C ) One leading to the a hillside clearing?

D ) A path winding down to a stream?

Please make your selection.

The windy path declines through the trees and brush.  Snapping of twigs and rustling of leaves can be heard beneath your feet as you travel.

Right next to the path, a pointy-eared creature perches on a rock.  It stops still to look at you.  Its eyes are glossy black, its body lean with leathery skin, and two small fangs poke out from its upper lip.  Large grey claws wrap around the curvature of the rock.

...:                             

.,=~$...                          

.,++7$..                          

.~=~I=.                          

.:IIOO...                        

..:+$OOO88O..                      

.,+7$Z8OZDZ8$.                      

.~7ZZDD$7Z$8$.                      

.~7$OO+$ZI?Z8O..                    

.~$ZOO88$7O888Z+,...   .            

.=$$+7?INNNDNNNNNNNND7+..           

..:=~+~.~7DD8DO88DDNNNMND$7..         

.,==I..?8ODNMNDN8ZOZZ~M$8?8Z7?....    

,~+?=+?8DNNOONODMZ,+7N8NN8NDDDDDI.    

.,=7ZZ+IDNNNDDDND8NNMNNNMMNO7$87?DZ8M8. 

.:?ZO8D8DDOD$Z$=+?7ZNNNNN8Z$$Z$~~88ZZ7M+ 

.:IZ88DNNMNN88?:=~=....IZ$7+.....:.N$ZZ$, 

.~7Z888NMMND8~+:.~.....,,?O$7~$7$$?7$$$7?. 

.:+$ZOD77MNNDOZ?+=~+77$ZO88OO$7ZOOOZ7I77I=.. 

..=7$8I??DNNDZ?7777$$$ZO8NDNNNDDDDDMDD8ZI:.... 

.:?7D8I7$NNND$Z:~~..III+?+ODNNMMMMNNDDZO..      

..:?$D88IO=ZDMN8~?.......?7Z8NNMMMMMMNNO,          

..~?788D=$8=O8NN?.+....:I+..7O8NNMMMMMMNO.           

..,=I$8D8Z$$7O87O8O7II+::....~7$ONNMMMMMMNZO.           

..:+7ODD8NIO+?N8DN88O$I?+Z7+=...?8DDNMMMMNN88..           

.,=I$D8DNDN$87ZMNND87~?=?O7II~OOOO8DDMMMMMMND8.             

..:=788NDDNDNND7NNND8Z?77DO$8NMNND=88NNMMMMMMNDZ               

.,~I$Z8DNNDDNNNDDMNDD8$OMNOD=+=M:~:ND8ONNMMMMMNNO.               

.,~?$OODNNNNNNMNNNNDOD8MM8.$~+8D8ZMNDDDNNMMMMMMNND$                

..~?$778NNMNNNNNMNMNO7888D+ONDOO8$=+?NNNNNMMMMMMNNN8.                

.,+7$8INNNMMNNMNMNMN8I8NNN8NN$=7OOO8=+MNMMMMMMMMMNNNO..               

.:?$788NNNMMMNNNNNNMO78NNNNNN==,$~I+=MNMMMMMMMMMMNNND=                 

. .~I$Z7NOMNMMMNNNMMNND=8NNN?M~$.Z=:?I~+NMMMMMMMMMNNNNNO.                 

..~7$O$N?MMMMNMNNMNNOMO+NNO?8?O~,++7:=ODMMMMMMMMMMMMNMD.                  

.~778ZZINMMMNMNNMNNO~M7DNNIO+$D.+$?~7ODMMMMMMMMMMMMMND~.                  

.~77887DDMMMNNNMNNN8:NMIDNZN+NN:+O=:$Z8NMMMMMMMMMMMMMNZ.                   

..~IZ$DNNNNNNNND8NNNND=NN$NNIION7=D=I+Z7DMMMMMMMMMMMMNND .                   

.~IZZ8NNIMNNNNNDNNNNDNZ8NZDN8N?Z+$+?,7=+DMNNDDDDMNMNN8N..                    

,?ZZ8$NNOMMNNNDO8DNNM8IDDOZDNM$=N$?:?IZONMMMDDNMMMMDDDZ+.                    

.~7Z$7DNDMNMNN8O8ZDNDNDIDZZ$$DD8NMN+IOID7ZDMN8MDMMNMMND8O$.                   

.~7ZO$NNIMMNND8O?+ND8ODO87?=$ONDMM7D88Z=IO8NNNMMMMMMMND8OO87. .               

.=$8ZD$NNMNNND8.=.8O8DD8ZDDDNNNNNMMMN87O$7ODNNMNDNNMMMMO8OZZOO=..             

.=$ZD78NNNNNN8ZOI+Z++7NNDNNNDDDNMMMMMO887$ONN8Z8DDDDDMMD$8OOOOOO$.            

.=$OO7MNNNNNDD88$7O8DDDNNNNNNNNNDODNMNND7I8ND,.Z7OODDMONND88D8OOOZ7.          

.=$Z$NMNNNDNN8O$788DNNMMNND8NNDNND8DNNNNNNNNODNNNDOZ8ZODNNDNNN88NZZ7..        

.~$8ODDNNDNND8N8DNNNNMNNDD..DNNNMMMDDD8DDMNNND$$7..~88$NNNNDNNDNNDO$.         

.~$8$DNNNNNDNDMDNNNNNNNN8I.:NNNDMNMNDDDNNNND~$$I7DNNNNNNNMNNNNNNNDZ$.         

.:7ONOMMMMMMNMMMMMNNNNNDD8DNNNNNNNND8ODDD:D7ODNDNNNND8DDDD88O8DDDO$...        

.=ZNDZ88NNNNNMMMMNMNNNNNDNNNNNNNDODDND8DD88NDNDDDD8D88888OOOO8OZ7,.           

.,+$NZ8I$NONDNNNNMMNNNNNN88DMNNDNNDDDNNNDDDD88888888888O8OOOO8O$~,.             

,+$ZOOZ$ZOO88DNNMMMMMNMMNNNNMNDDNNDDNDDDDD888888OOOOOOOOOZOO$=,..               

,+$$ZZZZOO8NNNMNNMNMMMNNNDNNDD8DDDD888888OOOOOOOOOOZZZZO$~:,...                 

.,=7$OOOOODNNNMNNNDD888888D888888888OOOOOOOOOOOZZZZ8?=:,...                     

.~7$8D888OOO8OOOO88OOOOOOO88OOOZZOOOZZZZZZZO8?+~:,...                          

.,+$Z8ZZZOZOZOZOOOOZZZZZZZZ$$$$$$$ZZZOZ?=~:,... .                              

.,~+I77$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ZZ$ZZZOO$I?+~:,,...                                      

..,:~===========~~~~~~::,,.....                                            

.  ..........   .. .            

Do you,

1.)  Head into the woods to go around the creature?

2.)  Approach slowly and carefully to prevent disturbance?

3.)  Ignore and continue walking?

4.) Cast Firestarter to some nearby leaves to scare it off?

5.) Cast Firestarter on the creature to be rid of it? 

((ASCII graphics from: http://www.glassgiant.com/ascii/ ))

• anonymousseanonymousse Member Posts: 61
    Originally posted by saint4God

You raise your wooden staff to block.  Skeluvor charges with his two-handed sword held high.  With a mighty downward swing he strikes!  The wooden staff breaks into half.  His sword comes down upon you!

Sorry, but you never rolled for sundering.

• streeastreea Member UncommonPosts: 654

2.) 

(Weren't the choices originally letters and not numbers?)

Originally posted by anonymousse

Sorry, but you never rolled for sundering.
    Sunder is in the warrior talent tree, but our character didn't get warrior training yet.

Originally posted by streea

2.) 

(Weren't the choices originally letters and not numbers?)

Yes, but the programmers had a deadline to meet and in their haste, had forgotten that options were alphabetical.  Onto the story then...

In approaching the strange creature, you notice its muscles begin to tense up.  Its eyes go unblinking as a high pitched growling eminates.  Then its teeth click together before repeating the routine.  You stop, realizing that any futher steps would invoke a fight or flight response.  Do you...

A.)  Drop a piece of food?

B.)  Talk to it?

C.)  Run past it?

D.)  Sit down and watch it?

• jinxitjinxit Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Originally posted by saint4God

The windy path declines through the trees and brush.  Snapping of twigs and rustling of leaves can be heard beneath your feet as you travel.
    Right next to the path, a pointy-eared creature perches on a rock.  It stops still to look at you.  Its eyes are glossy black, its body lean with leathery skin, and two small fangs poke out from its upper lip.  Large grey claws wrap around the curvature of the rock.

...:                             

.,=~$...                          

.,++7$..                          

.~=~I=.                          

.:IIOO...                        

..:+$OOO88O..                      

.,+7$Z8OZDZ8$.                      

.~7ZZDD$7Z$8$.                      

.~7$OO+$ZI?Z8O..                    

.~$ZOO88$7O888Z+,...   .            

.=$$+7?INNNDNNNNNNNND7+..           

..:=~+~.~7DD8DO88DDNNNMND$7..         

.,==I..?8ODNMNDN8ZOZZ~M$8?8Z7?....    

,~+?=+?8DNNOONODMZ,+7N8NN8NDDDDDI.    

.,=7ZZ+IDNNNDDDND8NNMNNNMMNO7$87?DZ8M8. 

.:?ZO8D8DDOD$Z$=+?7ZNNNNN8Z$$Z$~~88ZZ7M+ 

.:IZ88DNNMNN88?:=~=....IZ$7+.....:.N$ZZ$, 

.~7Z888NMMND8~+:.~.....,,?O$7~$7$$?7$$$7?. 

.:+$ZOD77MNNDOZ?+=~+77$ZO88OO$7ZOOOZ7I77I=.. 

..=7$8I??DNNDZ?7777$$$ZO8NDNNNDDDDDMDD8ZI:.... 

.:?7D8I7$NNND$Z:~~..III+?+ODNNMMMMNNDDZO..      

..:?$D88IO=ZDMN8~?.......?7Z8NNMMMMMMNNO,          

..~?788D=$8=O8NN?.+....:I+..7O8NNMMMMMMNO.           

..,=I$8D8Z$$7O87O8O7II+::....~7$ONNMMMMMMNZO.           

..:+7ODD8NIO+?N8DN88O$I?+Z7+=...?8DDNMMMMNN88..           

.,=I$D8DNDN$87ZMNND87~?=?O7II~OOOO8DDMMMMMMND8.             

..:=788NDDNDNND7NNND8Z?77DO$8NMNND=88NNMMMMMMNDZ               

.,~I$Z8DNNDDNNNDDMNDD8$OMNOD=+=M:~:ND8ONNMMMMMNNO.               

.,~?$OODNNNNNNMNNNNDOD8MM8.$~+8D8ZMNDDDNNMMMMMMNND$                

..~?$778NNMNNNNNMNMNO7888D+ONDOO8$=+?NNNNNMMMMMMNNN8.                

.,+7$8INNNMMNNMNMNMN8I8NNN8NN$=7OOO8=+MNMMMMMMMMMNNNO..               

.:?$788NNNMMMNNNNNNMO78NNNNNN==,$~I+=MNMMMMMMMMMMNNND=                 

. .~I$Z7NOMNMMMNNNMMNND=8NNN?M~$.Z=:?I~+NMMMMMMMMMNNNNNO.                 

..~7$O$N?MMMMNMNNMNNOMO+NNO?8?O~,++7:=ODMMMMMMMMMMMMNMD.                  

.~778ZZINMMMNMNNMNNO~M7DNNIO+$D.+$?~7ODMMMMMMMMMMMMMND~.                  

.~77887DDMMMNNNMNNN8:NMIDNZN+NN:+O=:$Z8NMMMMMMMMMMMMMNZ.                   

..~IZ$DNNNNNNNND8NNNND=NN$NNIION7=D=I+Z7DMMMMMMMMMMMMNND .                   

.~IZZ8NNIMNNNNNDNNNNDNZ8NZDN8N?Z+$+?,7=+DMNNDDDDMNMNN8N..                    

,?ZZ8$NNOMMNNNDO8DNNM8IDDOZDNM$=N$?:?IZONMMMDDNMMMMDDDZ+.                    

.~7Z$7DNDMNMNN8O8ZDNDNDIDZZ$$DD8NMN+IOID7ZDMN8MDMMNMMND8O$.                   

.~7ZO$NNIMMNND8O?+ND8ODO87?=$ONDMM7D88Z=IO8NNNMMMMMMMND8OO87. .               

.=$8ZD$NNMNNND8.=.8O8DD8ZDDDNNNNNMMMN87O$7ODNNMNDNNMMMMO8OZZOO=..             

.=$ZD78NNNNNN8ZOI+Z++7NNDNNNDDDNMMMMMO887$ONN8Z8DDDDDMMD$8OOOOOO$.            

.=$OO7MNNNNNDD88$7O8DDDNNNNNNNNNDODNMNND7I8ND,.Z7OODDMONND88D8OOOZ7.          

.=$Z$NMNNNDNN8O$788DNNMMNND8NNDNND8DNNNNNNNNODNNNDOZ8ZODNNDNNN88NZZ7..        

.~$8ODDNNDNND8N8DNNNNMNNDD..DNNNMMMDDD8DDMNNND$$7..~88$NNNNDNNDNNDO$.         

.~$8$DNNNNNDNDMDNNNNNNNN8I.:NNNDMNMNDDDNNNND~$$I7DNNNNNNNMNNNNNNNDZ$.         

.:7ONOMMMMMMNMMMMMNNNNNDD8DNNNNNNNND8ODDD:D7ODNDNNNND8DDDD88O8DDDO$...        

.=ZNDZ88NNNNNMMMMNMNNNNNDNNNNNNNDODDND8DD88NDNDDDD8D88888OOOO8OZ7,.           

.,+$NZ8I$NONDNNNNMMNNNNNN88DMNNDNNDDDNNNDDDD88888888888O8OOOO8O$~,.             

,+$ZOOZ$ZOO88DNNMMMMMNMMNNNNMNDDNNDDNDDDDD888888OOOOOOOOOZOO$=,..               

,+$$ZZZZOO8NNNMNNMNMMMNNNDNNDD8DDDD888888OOOOOOOOOOZZZZO$~:,...                 

.,=7$OOOOODNNNMNNNDD888888D888888888OOOOOOOOOOOZZZZ8?=:,...                     

.~7$8D888OOO8OOOO88OOOOOOO88OOOZZOOOZZZZZZZO8?+~:,...                          

.,+$Z8ZZZOZOZOZOOOOZZZZZZZZ$$$$$$$ZZZOZ?=~:,... .                              

.,~+I77$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ZZ$ZZZOO$I?+~:,,...                                      

..,:~===========~~~~~~::,,.....                                            

.  ..........   .. .            

Do you,
    1.)  Head into the woods to go around the creature?
    2.)  Approach slowly and carefully to prevent disturbance?
    3.)  Ignore and continue walking?
    4.) Cast Firestarter to some nearby leaves to scare it off?
    5.) Cast Firestarter on the creature to be rid of it? 
    ((ASCII graphics from: http://www.glassgiant.com/ascii/ ))

6.) Give the sweet lil bunny wabbit a cuddle.

Syntax Error, line 34, please re-enter your selection.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

I choose 2

• jinxitjinxit Member UncommonPosts: 854

5.) Cast Firestarter on the creature to be rid of it 

pickup roasted bunny and put in inventory for later

((Thread got a little off-course from invalid response, most reason posting was...))

In approaching the strange creature, you notice its muscles begin to tense up.  Its eyes go unblinking as a high pitched growling eminates.  Then its teeth click together before repeating the routine.  You stop, realizing that any futher steps would invoke a fight or flight response.  Do you...

A.)  Drop a piece of food?

B.)  Talk to it?

C.)  Run past it?

D.)  Sit down and watch it?

Originally posted by alakram

I choose 2

((I'll take that as B ))

You try to appease the creature by smiling, kneeling and saying "Hello".  The creature is taken aback by either your ability to speak its language or its ability to understand you.  Nevertheless he cowers and snaps, "What is it you want?"  Your response is...

A. )  "Nothing.  I'm just passing through.  I have no intention of harming you."

B.)  "How shall I put this...I'm very hungry and if you don't move, we'll find out how delicious you are after roasting on a spit."

C.)  "I'm looking for a travelling companion."

D.)  "I'm on a quest and am searching for some information."

• streeastreea Member UncommonPosts: 654

C).

The creature eyes you suspiciously.  "I don't think you'd survive long out here on your own."  He pauses to consider the proposition.  "Very well, I'm not usually into charity, but someone needs to keep you alive.  The darkness grows by the day.  Daylight is getting shorter and shorter as time goes on.  You haven't noticed, have you?  Well, I doubt human senses could pick up on these things.  I'm a Tanex, a digger, scrounger and scout of the woods.  Friends call me Rilper."

Pet acquired!

Name: Rilper

Class: Rogue

Hitpoints: 15 / 15

Weapon: Claws 1D6

The Tanex continues, "Heading to the river eh?" The creature sizes up your clothes and lack of arms, "Heh, brave, but not very bright.  Let's get to it then."

He leads you down the path to the stream.  It isn't very wide, only about sixty feet across.  The waters are rushing across the rocks in a downward slope from left to right.  Rilper explains, "Getting across wi..." Rilper is jumped upon by a yellow cougar from the tree above him! 

Spell: Firestarter 1D6

Action?

A.)  Cast Firestarter on the yellow cougar

B.)  Grab Rilper and run

C.)  Grab a nearby branch and hit the yellow cougar

D.)  Run and abandon Rilper

• hotpiehotpie Member Posts: 191

a

*Funky cheesey repetitive combat music begins to play at the text dramatically speeds up in a hurried typing manner...*

The yellow cougar had dealt damage to Rilper on the pounce:

Rilper's hitpoints are reduced by 3.  Rilper's hitpoints remaining are 12.

You cast Firestarter on the Cougar!

The cougar reels back from taking 6 points of damage!  The cougar is scortched, looking very injured!

Rilper attacks with claws:

Rilper barely hits the cougar.  The yellow cougar bleeds from the clawing wound.

the yellow cougar swipes back at Rilper!

Rilper's hitpoints have been reduced by 4.  Rilper's remaining hitpoints are 8.

Next action?

A.) Cast Firestarter on the yellow cougar

B.) Grab Rilper and run

C.) Grab a nearby branch and hit the yellow cougar

D.) Run and abandon Rilper

• RedshamanRedshaman Member Posts: 19

A ftw!

You cast Firestarter on the yellow cougar!

The yellow cougar is engulfed in flames drops to the ground lifeless.  You have defeated the yellow cougar!  You're experience goes up by 10, you have achieved a new level!  You have gained a new class!  You have learned Firestarter II !

Level: 2

Class: Mage

Hitpoints: 10 / 10

Spell: Firestarter II 1D6, + 1 damage per turn thereafter. 

At the river, you notice a young girl crouched down, turned away from you.  She gathers up water with her hands and lets it trickle on her head.  Rilper looks to you wondering what you're going to do.  Will you...

A.) Continue towards the stepping stones to cross the river?

B.) Approach with caution and ease your approach by placing your hand on her shoulder?

C.) Try to hail her to get her attention?

D.) Have Rilper run ahead to scout out the person?

((Some game explanation for those interested.  The cougar had 10 hitpoints.  Using elemental magic without melee determined class, new spell and hitpoints))