Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are the top 8 MMO's in terms of population?

fcweddfcwedd Member UncommonPosts: 196

What are the top 8 MMO's in terms of population? Where can I view the statistics?

Thanks

Comments

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

Population in terms of Subs or in real population per Shard? :)

• terrorantulaterrorantula Member Posts: 174

WOW

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

The rest fighting over the scraps.

• MaldusterMalduster Member Posts: 109

Lingeage2

World of Warcraft

Dunno bout the rest, Lord of the Rings is quiet active... so is CoX, EQ2, GW, EVE,  then come all the rest.

Oh and yes Lineage 2 has a higher total population than WoW, im not talking about USA etc im talking about all over the world.

EDIT: I have to proof to back this up, but when WoW was at around 6M I read that L2 had 14M subscribers... on the official site..

• abistarabistar Member UncommonPosts: 92

Maybe you can try the Xfire website, they show gaming in minutes statistics everyday, I would say that World of Warcraft is the most popular, that's a no brainer.

Originally posted by abistar

Maybe you can try the Xfire website, they show gaming in minutes statistics everyday, I would say that World of Warcraft is the most popular, that's a no brainer.

Aye, also look at this : http://www.gamespot.com/forums/show_msgs.php?board_id=314159267&topic_id=25633632

im gonna take out my GW box and see, if i can find it ill scan and show it... but L2 DOES have more subscribers, mainly due to the asian market.

• Originally posted by fcwedd

What are the top 8 MMO's in terms of population? Where can I view the statistics?

Thanks

on the back of my Nov. 2007 Gameinformer, Kart Rider claims to have 160 million global players. I know this is BS, I am just saying there is no way to know the truth about any of the numbers

• SorninSornin Member Posts: 1,133

If we only count North American subscribers (there are lots of Asian games that are not popular here but have millions of subscribers in Asia), I would guess this, in no particular order:

World of Warcraft

Lord of the Rings Online

EverQuest 2

EverQuest

Lineage II

City of Heroes / City of Villains

Pirates of the Burning Sea

Final Fantasy XI

I only considered games that have subscription fees and are not item-shop driven.

Anyway, I am sure many will disagree and rightfully so, as this list is purely speculation made by me with virtually no investigation.

edit: As the poster below me mentioned, I am sure EVE fits in here somewhere and would push one of the games out. Also, I am sure Tabula Rasa might make the list, as would Guild Wars (has no subscription fees, though, so any subscriber count would count every account ever made) since it seems to be quite popular. It is too close to call in a lot of situations, though, and few companies release numbers.

Originally posted by Sornin

If we only count North American subscribers (there are lots of Asian games that are not popular here but have millions of subscribers in Asia), I would guess this, in no particular order:
    World of Warcraft
    Lord of the Rings Online
    EverQuest 2
    EverQuest
    Lineage II
    Final Fantasy XI
    I only considered games that have subscription fees and are not item-shop driven.
    Anyway, I am sure many will disagree and rightfully so, as this list is purely speculation made by me with virtually no investigation.

Aye I kinda agree, but EVE has more subs than PotBS for sure... fits in after everquest or L2 i guess

• rikiliirikilii Member UncommonPosts: 1,084

Originally posted by Sornin

World of Warcraft
    Lord of the Rings Online
    EverQuest 2
    EverQuest
    Lineage II
    Final Fantasy XI

Add Lineage to that list, and bump one off (at least I don't think it's an item shop game).

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I think WOW gets the top 8 spots all by itself, Asian F2P grinders not withstanding

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

thats the typical WoW fanboi answer, if you've been WoW-free for over 15 months you wouldn't be making such statements.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Originally posted by Malduster

Aye, also look at this : http://www.gamespot.com/forums/show_msgs.php?board_id=314159267&topic_id=25633632

im gonna take out my GW box and see, if i can find it ill scan and show it... but L2 DOES have more subscribers, mainly due to the asian market.

No, that's incorrect. If you look at the NCsoft financial reports it clearly says that Lineage 2 currently has around 1 million active  subscribers.

the number Lineage 2 mentions on its box are subscribers. but not active subscribers. just people who created an account.

• dwillpowerdwillpower Member Posts: 97

I hate to say it runescape prolly fits somewhere near the top. They have quite a bit of subs.

Originally posted by Gameloading

No, that's incorrect. If you look at the NCsoft financial reports it clearly says that Lineage 2 currently has around 1 million active  subscribers.

the number Lineage 2 mentions on its box are subscribers. but not active subscribers. just people who created an account.

Ah yeah was just looking through my boxes etc, I threw it away but thanks for clarifying that....

Also, does Blizzard say WoW has 10M or however many they have now ACTIVE? Or just accounts made... just curious.

Originally posted by dwillpower

I hate to say it runescape prolly fits somewhere near the top. They have quite a bit of subs.

Last time I checked they hit the 2M mark, they must have lost ATLEAST 500k if not more in the past 6 months, with all those updates... I personally saw hundreds of people leaving.

The only reason I played RS was the fact that it was the closest thing to an FFA PvP game with Player looting... Now thats gone, so am I and many others.

Oh and not to mention guildwars, it has like 2 million?

But I guess that doesnt count... no one pays monthly soo...

• CyberWizCyberWiz Member UncommonPosts: 914

Lingeage2
    World of Warcraft

Dunno bout the rest, Lord of the Rings is quiet active... so is CoX, EQ2, GW, EVE,  then come all the rest.

Oh and yes Lineage 2 has a higher total population than WoW, im not talking about USA etc im talking about all over the world.

EDIT: I have to proof to back this up, but when WoW was at around 6M I read that L2 had 14M subscribers... on the official site..

Quoted from mmogchart.com :
    " As of March 2006, Lineage II had approximately 1.3 million monthly access subscribers worldwide, with 89,337 of those in the US and Europe combined. "

Furthermore, the 14 million you talk about are created accounts.
    Lets say they now have 2 million players, this means that another 12 million didnt like the game enough to stay subscribed.

So with 10 million ACTIVE accounts, WoW dwarfs lineage 2.
    Even if you add lineage 1 and 2 together you wouldnt get higher then 3 million. A very nice number, I agree, but no where near the numbers of WoW.

( and I am playing EVE Online atm, so no I am not a WoW fanboi ! )

Greetz

If you are interested in subscription or PCU numbers for MMORPG's, check out my site :
    http://mmodata.blogspot.be/
    Favorite MMORPG's : DAoC pre ToA-NF, SWG Pre CU-NGE, EVE Online

• CyberWizCyberWiz Member UncommonPosts: 914

Originally posted by Gameloading  
    Originally posted by abistar Maybe you can try the Xfire website, they show gaming in minutes statistics everyday, I would say that World of Warcraft is the most popular, that's a no brainer.

Ah yeah was just looking through my boxes etc, I threw it away but thanks for clarifying that....

Also, does Blizzard say WoW has 10M or however many they have now ACTIVE? Or just accounts made... just curious.

They mean ACTIVE accounts

If you are interested in subscription or PCU numbers for MMORPG's, check out my site :
    http://mmodata.blogspot.be/
    Favorite MMORPG's : DAoC pre ToA-NF, SWG Pre CU-NGE, EVE Online

Originally posted by CyberWiz

Lingeage2

World of Warcraft

Quoted from mmogchart.com :

" As of March 2006, Lineage II had approximately 1.3 million monthly access subscribers worldwide, with 89,337 of those in the US and Europe combined. "

Furthermore, the 14 million you talk about are created accounts.

Lets say they now have 2 million players, this means that another 12 million didnt like the game enough to stay subscribed.

So with 10 million ACTIVE accounts, WoW dwarfs lineage 2.

Even if you add lineage 1 and 2 together you wouldnt get higher then 3 million. A very nice number, I agree, but no where near the numbers of WoW.

( and I am playing EVE Online atm, so no I am not a WoW fanboi ! )

Greetz

Ah yeah thanks for clarifying that. HMPF im bored (offtopicness kicks in)

• AskatanAskatan Member Posts: 313

Originally posted by fcwedd

Thanks

same question as batolemaeus... 

per shard or customers?

apart from Guild Wars any other sharded game has a severely limited population.

only EVE is not sharded and has with 42000 on sundays about 20 times more players per shard than WoW.

my WoW server for example was a ghost town, and that was 9 months after start. market had crashed for rogue items and I was not allowed to change server because you could only change from a "overpopulated" server to a low populated.

population is usually marketing crap. it didn't help my char a bit that on other servers everything was fine...

it's like saying what's bigger, Seoul (10 - 23 million people, depends which artificial line you draw around that moloch) or all Renos (in Nevada, 180k people ) in the multiverse combined. You can't go to any version of Reno in the multiverse and it has no importance for your reality.

EVE is like Seoul. Big, crowded and you can get everything you need there.

WoW is a good game, but that millions of players could as well be NPCs in a dungeon you can never raid

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Dark and Light

Vanguard

Horizons

Auto Assault

EvE

DDO

Matrix

Face of Mankind

LOL.  (Seriously it would prolly be Lineage 2, WoW, City of Heroes/Villains, DAoC, EQ2, SWG, + 2 other) :P

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Just based on what I've bumped into it would be:

World of warcraft

Lineage II

Lineage

Second life

Final Fantasy XI

Guild wars

Runescape

Lord of the rings online

Eve online

I listed 9 for those who don't count second life and have no real idea about the asian grinders.

• QuantumQrackQuantumQrack Member UncommonPosts: 81
    MMOG Active Subscriptions 21.0 120,000+

Originally posted by Askatan

Originally posted by fcwedd

Thanks

same question as batolemaeus... 

per shard or customers?

apart from Guild Wars any other sharded game has a severely limited population.

only EVE is not sharded and has with 42000 on sundays about 20 times more players per shard than WoW.

my WoW server for example was a ghost town, and that was 9 months after start. market had crashed for rogue items and I was not allowed to change server because you could only change from a "overpopulated" server to a low populated.

population is usually marketing crap. it didn't help my char a bit that on other servers everything was fine...

it's like saying what's bigger, Seoul (10 - 23 million people, depends which artificial line you draw around that moloch) or all Renos (in Nevada, 180k people ) in the multiverse combined. You can't go to any version of Reno in the multiverse and it has no importance for your reality.

EVE is like Seoul. Big, crowded and you can get everything you need there.

WoW is a good game, but that millions of players could as well be NPCs in a dungeon you can never raid

Yeh cause in EVE everyones talking to eachother and grouping together and you see all those 40,000 people on that server lol............. It's no different to WOW's split servers IMO cause you play with the same amount of people as you get in EVE and you don't know about all the rest because you don't need to. Also theres cross server Battleground play with all the other servers.

Also EVE is laggy as hell because it's clear thats erver can't handle 40,000 people at the same time and CCP still havn't fixed the Jita problem which if your a trader then you HAVE to go there.

Originally posted by Calcedon

You do know he made all that up