Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So.. give me a good honest answer..

NagelFireNagelFire Member Posts: 409

Reading these forums, I really cant tell whether or not this game is dying or not.  Its kind of half and half. 

So.. give ma a good honest answer.. I much prefer statictics or something, but personal observations are good too I guess.  Is this game dying or not?  I kind of want to give it a try, but I wont if its just losing people.  Kind of like jumping onto a sinking ship.. ya dig?

Anyway.. thanks for the insight.

-------------------------

Comments

• aspiinaspiin Member Posts: 66

This game is not dying. I re-subscribed about 2 months ago and easily got a group at lv10. There are still many who play it. When I quit FFXI 2 years ago there was a max of 2800 (at prime time) people on at once dosent seem like alot but trust me it is. When I went back the number was the same if not more.

There is a ton of things to do. It will take you a while 2 years+ to get bored of the game. This is not a game for people who want there items fast. This is a tactful, strategical ,game that requires teamwork and patients above all.

Leveling is alot easier now with the addition of EXP Rings. Although still its not going to get you to lv 75 in 3 months but it helps ALOT. Groups will get you there depending on how much time you put in to the game.

FFXI is not a casual game. Although many people will say it is but many of those people have multiple 40+ characters which allow you to do more things like crafting or exploring "casually".

This is the first and only mmo I have enjoyed to date. No other mmo compares. I played it while in High School. Now that I am in College and on my own, I simply do not have to time or desire to put so much time in to it.

I recommend FFXI for anyone who has time during there day to play. The game play pulls you into the world and the beutiful storyline just adds to the greatness.

Hope that helped

• NagelFireNagelFire Member Posts: 409

Do you have to have played the other Final Fantasy games to get the storyline at all?  Due to my lack of a game console besides the PC.. I have never played any.

Well.  Apart from watching FFVII  movie on my PSP.  It was pretty good.

-------------------------

• TeganxTeganx Member Posts: 401
    Originally posted by NagelFire

Do you have to have played the other Final Fantasy games to get the storyline at all?  Due to my lack of a game console besides the PC.. I have never played any.

Oh man you really need to play FFVII at least! You are really missing out. You couldnt even enjoy the movie to its full potential because its a direct sequel to the game!

I played FFXI awhile back and it was great but most of the fun for me was noticing all of the little final fantasy things here and there that most of us have grown up with over the years playing the games.

playing: darkfall
    waiting: earthrise

• AphexAphex Member Posts: 194
    Originally posted by NagelFire

No, outside of some names and creatures and gameplay mechanics, final fantasy games have nothing in common with each other. Each game in the series has a completely different world with a story line that is original.

• oakaeoakae Member UncommonPosts: 344

This game isn't losing players but it isn't really gaining any either. Unless you play during odd hours like 3am there are usually plenty of players on.

• oskironmaideoskironmaide Member Posts: 336

The game is not what it used to be player population wise...

But it is still very alive. Is hard low lvls to find people but mid and high lvls is packed of people on any server.. just go to white gate and see how many people you see around ..

I miss the old mid lvls jeuno days ; ;

But the game is still very alive...

If you watch The Karate Kid backwards it's about this karate champ that just kinda slowly becomes a pussy and ends up moving back to Jersey

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

"The water's fine.. come on in!"

Seriously.. the game is doing fine. It's still at over 500k players as of the last census (which is around what it's almost always had). It's a niche game, for sure, but it's a damn great game. There's tons to do, lots of depth and an overall great community (though it does have its warts... can't escape them in any game).

As was said, it does require some patience, persistence and... you really can't be in a hurry, because FFXI does not cater to a "instant/constant gratification" type of player. Personally, that's one of the things I love about it. So many companies are afraid to actually require some kind of effort/skill/tactics of their players and instead reward them handsomely for every little thing they do. "Discovery xp" is one of the most patronizing things I've ever heard of - "You pushed 'w' and crossed an arbitrary invisible line! Here's some free xp! Boy you're good at this!".. but I digress.

SE has consistently made the game where anything that's beneficial to your character comes with effort. There are no hand-outs.

Give it a shot :)

Couple recommendations:

Go to www.playonline.com and check out their tutorial vids. Very good.

Go to limitbreakradio.com and listen to some of their podcasts, it'll give you a good idea of what the game is like. Very well-done podcast.

Go to ffxiclopedia.org and do some reading on the game - tons of great info there.

Enjoy!

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• As far as growth goes, i can see one major issue for a prospective new player. That is, how on earth does one even GET the software to play the game. Other than to fork over the 20-50 bucks for the full version. With no direct download and no Starter Pack to be had anywhere, it quickly becomes frustrating enough make you wonder if SE treats you like this once you're finally in game. As for that starter pack, it's a great idea if it wasn't sold out or on back order EVERYWHERE on the net. If anyone has a good idea where i can get one, or a buddy key, let me know if you don't mind. I almost feel as if i need to belong to a secret society, know the secret handshake, the high sign...something....just to get in. That's not the way to increase your player base.

• SuplyndmndSuplyndmnd Member Posts: 553

This is more of a "me too" post than anything.  But the game is still very much alive especially since the new expansion that just came out.

I've been playing this game for about 2 years now and let me tell you, if you have the time, there is *not* a lack of things to do and oddly enough, not a lack of people to do it with either. I generally don't have issues with finding parties but when you first start you may.  I don't have issues mostly because i'm friends with a great deal of people on the server so if they see 3 DD's and i'm one of them, i get the invite over the other equal DD's.

But, like previously mentioned, only pick up this game if you have time to invest in it.  Otherwise, you wont get very far in it.  And patience, oh god can I not express that enough, you must have patience. There are times where it seems like all you do is die but when you finally get to your goal, you will feel such a great sense of pride.  That's one reason why i like this game because it doesn't cater to the instant, quick-fix player but the rewards are so much better when you get that nice piece of armor after trying for so long.  Reason being is that it is just *that* hard and you can wear it with pride.

I say give it a try, and stick with it and you will be rewarded with a great game.

EVE - Sharvala
    FFXI - Shazamalicious
    Guild Wars - Xavier Lucifer & Charlize the Necro
    "Ranged...stuck...tree...15 random words... suck... noob fanboy... I MAKE GUIDE!"

Originally posted by elgermo

As far as growth goes, i can see one major issue for a prospective new player. That is, how on earth does one even GET the software to play the game. Other than to fork over the 20-50 bucks for the full version. With no direct download and no Starter Pack to be had anywhere, it quickly becomes frustrating enough make you wonder if SE treats you like this once you're finally in game. As for that starter pack, it's a great idea if it wasn't sold out or on back order EVERYWHERE on the net. If anyone has a good idea where i can get one, or a buddy key, let me know if you don't mind. I almost feel as if i need to belong to a secret society, know the secret handshake, the high sign...something....just to get in. That's not the way to increase your player base.
    Meh... I think you dramatize it a bit much. A quick search on gamestop.com, and they've got the Starter Pack for $1.99, though it's currently on backorder. I'm sure you could find it elsewhere.

Personally, I wanted to try the game, picked it up and tried it. No secret hand-shakes to know, no clique's to belong to, etc.

-shrug-

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,

• Gah!  Don't *shrug*!  I was being a bit dramatic. But since the ONLY vendor for the starter pack is Gamestop and EB (both same company), and its on back  order until....... It certainly looks like my initial assessment about the games availability is largely true. I've got  someone helping me out now so i feel a bit better about life. Thus my dramatic moment has subsided. Now to explore this, sure to be, fabulous game!

Edit:  One other note. As for picking up the game my overall beef is that since i am so far away, geographically, from any type of shop that would carry really anything at all, a direct download is really the only way many gamers can get games like this. FFXI is, i think, the only mmorpg not on the band wagon.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Honestly, even if the game isn't dying, I wouldn't go into FFXI without finding a guild first.

Check out websites, Google FFXI guilds, get yourself a guild before you even think of buying the game.

• xersentxersent Member Posts: 613
    Originally posted by aspiin

This game is not dying. I re-subscribed about 2 months ago and easily got a group at lv10. There are still many who play it. When I quit FFXI 2 years ago there was a max of 2800 (at prime time) people on at once dosent seem like alot but trust me it is. When I went back the number was the same if not more.
    There is a ton of things to do. It will take you a while 2 years+ to get bored of the game. This is not a game for people who want there items fast. This is a tactful, strategical ,game that requires teamwork and patients above all.
    Leveling is alot easier now with the addition of EXP Rings. Although still its not going to get you to lv 75 in 3 months but it helps ALOT. Groups will get you there depending on how much time you put in to the game.
    FFXI is not a casual game. Although many people will say it is but many of those people have multiple 40+ characters which allow you to do more things like crafting or exploring "casually".
    This is the first and only mmo I have enjoyed to date. No other mmo compares. I played it while in High School. Now that I am in College and on my own, I simply do not have to time or desire to put so much time in to it.
    I recommend FFXI for anyone who has time during there day to play. The game play pulls you into the world and the beutiful storyline just adds to the greatness.
    Hope that helped

I agree with this completely ! nice job aspiin.

• HexxeityHexxeity Member Posts: 848

The game is not dying.

It is a fun game if you can find groups.

You cannot find groups at low levels.

You will see very few other players in starting cities.

You will have a hard time even finding a linkshell (guild) that will accept you as a n00b.

You will have a hard time leveling up without a group.

Therefore, this is not a game I would recommend to a new player at this time.

Basically it's a great game if you got in on the ground floor.  It's a terrible game if you join it now for the first time.

• ZhenChenZhenChen Member Posts: 9

damn.. i agree 100% with aspiin =) i started FFXI when it had been out for like umm 2months.. played it for about 10 months.. during 10 months i had every job at 20 and main was 50 MONK/25 SAM.. then i had to quit cus of irl issues.. anyways.. this game isnt for those ''i want my phat l33t NOW'' players at all.. and its a good thing.. this game has so damn much stuff to do that i wasnt even able to try 50% of the stuff in the game during my time... and i definitely didnt get bored at all in FFXI.. this game is my fav MMO of all time.. played wow/EQ2/Lotro/L2 and list goes on.. havent seen anything special in those to be honest.. FFXI is the sh*t (in a good way :> ) it aint dying.. dunno why people say it is.. since that aint true at all.. got stuff fixed IRL.. so i might make a comeback myself during the next few months ^^

I'm busting right out the creases, fuck your white jesus..
    you're blinded by the light of deceivers and disbelievers
    the real truth right in front of you
    i am everyone and none of you..

Originally posted by Hexxeity

The game is not dying.
    You will have a hard time even finding a linkshell (guild) that will accept you as a n00b.
    Basically it's a great game if you got in on the ground floor.  It's a terrible game if you join it now for the first time.

Nonsense.

There have been many people who've started since it came out and weren't there "on the ground floor" and are doing just fine.

I've had two friends start the game - one took BLM up to 18, got subjob and leveled WHM/BLM up to 30, unlocked Summoner and did just fine. Made his own money and funded all his own gear, etc. Was invited to like... 3 different linkshells.

A friend of mine now has just started and, similarly, is having no trouble with anything you mentioned.

Are there slow periods? Sure. But they're not the norm. If you're at least semi-social, are friendly and don't come off like an idiot, you'll do fine.

• JakeSimJakeSim Member RarePosts: 883

This game is definetly not dying I play on the Ifrit server I play only atleast 2 hours a day and still do things that I love. I started the game about last week and only have a total playtime of atleast 10 hours and I am already lvl 17 tarutaru monk :). Finding a group is easy if you don't feel like waiting make your own group thats what I do.

Please come check out my stream. All the love is appreciated! 

TWITCH: @JakeSimTV

Originally posted by Tidel

This game is definetly not dying I play on the Ifrit server I play only atleast 2 hours a day and still do things that I love. I started the game about last week and only have a total playtime of atleast 10 hours and I am already lvl 17 tarutaru monk :). Finding a group is easy if you don't feel like waiting make your own group thats what I do.

Indeed. I think something that people tend to do is consider only their own situation and then make a broad/generalized assessment based on that.

Some common examples:

They hit a slow period in finding groups... "Oh, I can't find a group, the game must be dying".

They don't see tons of players around a given area "Oh, there's no one around - the game must be dying"

Or, one of my personal favorites... "I've lost interest in this game - it must be dying"

And one of the best examples of human arrogance and self-importance...

"They aren't developing the game to please me... SE obviously has no clue how to run a MMO"

Generally speaking, they lose sight that, no matter how strong their opinion is, it's still only their opinion and they are only one of 100s of thousands playing it.

I mean let's look at some facts...

- Despite the increasing number of MMOs available and despite WoW's popularity, FFXI's population has barely budged - sticking between 500k-600k players.

- SE continues to put out new expansions with new content, jobs, areas, story arcs, etc. etc.

- SE continues to introduce new content in-between expansion packs.

- SE hosts a 2 or 3 day Fan Festival every year, bringing in around 2000 players with events, rows of PCs for people to get involved in festival contests, preview new content, etc. The 2007 one just passed not too far back. In terms of planning, logistics, expense, etc... those kinds of things are not trivial to organize, nor cheap. That would be a bit extravagant for a game that some claim is "dying", no?

What keeps FFXI going and will continue to, in my opinion, is that it is so different from most all other MMOs out there. While everyone else is either designing or retro-fitting their MMO to be like "WoW", FFXI stands alone as a completely unique experience appealing to a different and very dedicated playerbase.

So.. again.. Sorry to burst any bubbles for those who want to see a game they don't play or like anymore die. And for those who might be concerned that it's dying, don't worry. FFXI isn't going anywhere 'til SE decides to pull the plug and I see no indication that it's going to be any time soon.

Originally posted by WSIMike

The game is not dying.

Nonsense.

There have been many people who've started since it came out and weren't there "on the ground floor" and are doing just fine.

I've had two friends start the game - one took BLM up to 18, got subjob and leveled WHM/BLM up to 30, unlocked Summoner and did just fine. Made his own money and funded all his own gear, etc. Was invited to like... 3 different linkshells.

A friend of mine now has just started and, similarly, is having no trouble with anything you mentioned.

Are there slow periods? Sure. But they're not the norm. If you're at least semi-social, are friendly and don't come off like an idiot, you'll do fine.

Okay, I guess I was imagining everything that happened when I started fresh last summer.

I made a Hume in Bastok.  I played at fairly normal times of day -- evenings and weekends.

On any given day, I never ran across more than 10 different active players -- usually fewer.  Don't tell me I'm incorrect or lying; I actually started keeping track because I thought it was ridiculous.

I sent very polite introductory messages to EVERY active character near my level.  (By "active," I mean not in merchant mode.)  I  received exactly TWO replies, both in Japanese.

I don't doubt that your friends leveled up to whatever you say they did.  But I am pretty sure they soloed most of it.  Your friends must be very patient people with a lot of time on their hands.

Either that or you grouped with them.  Every MMOG is easier and more fun when you can group with people you know.  I did not have that luxury as everyone I know hates FFXI.

So maybe I'll amend my statement to, "FFXI is not a good game for a beginner who doesn't know anyone in the game, unless that person is extremely patient."

The game is not dying.

Nonsense.

Okay, I guess I was imagining everything that happened when I started fresh last summer.

I made a Hume in Bastok.  I played at fairly normal times of day -- evenings and weekends.

On any given day, I never ran across more than 10 different active players -- usually fewer.  Don't tell me I'm incorrect or lying; I actually started keeping track because I thought it was ridiculous.

I sent very polite introductory messages to EVERY active character near my level.  (By "active," I mean not in merchant mode.)  I  received exactly TWO replies, both in Japanese.

I don't doubt that your friends leveled up to whatever you say they did.  But I am pretty sure they soloed most of it.  Your friends must be very patient people with a lot of time on their hands.

Either that or you grouped with them.  Every MMOG is easier and more fun when you can group with people you know.  I did not have that luxury as everyone I know hates FFXI.

So maybe I'll amend my statement to, "FFXI is not a good game for a beginner who doesn't know anyone in the game, unless that person is extremely patient."

Maybe u just had bad luck when it came to picking your server , i was on Valefor and so many people , was on there for 3 years.

Originally posted by xersent

Maybe u just had bad luck when it came to picking your server , i was on Valefor and so many people , was on there for 3 years.

Umm, if you were on there for three years, how could you possibly comment on the newbie experience as the game stands today?  You have no idea what it's like to be a newbie now.

Originally posted by xersent

Umm, if you were on there for three years, how could you possibly comment on the newbie experience as the game stands today?  You have no idea what it's like to be a newbie now.

well i was playing on the PC , and i got an xbox360 so i got it for that , and it wasnt hard to get groups ect.. when starting a new character on my xbox , and that was like 3 weeks ago since i started using the xbox360 version.

The game is not dying.

Nonsense.

Or just had really bad luck/timing. I'm playing this game since it came out in NA, over 4 years ago.. I have leveled up and have seen many others level up. Everyone has the same experience.. sometimes it's slower than others.

In the lowbie areas? People level up and out of those areas very quickly. You don't need a party to get through that. In fact the first 10-12 levels or so are intended to be solo'd. To allow new players to get the hang of the game, learn to how to fight, etc. etc. So you weren't missing out on anything by soloing.

No.. they were simply going through the same experience as everyone else does at those levels - they solo'd them. The only times I really see people grouping up at the low levels is to be power-leveled.

Now you're veering into making assumptions of myself or my friends because your experience doesn't match what you think it should. No, I wasn't helping them. I wasn't grouped with them. They solo'd their first 10-12 levels, just like I said they did. In fact, one friend solo'd up to 18. THe most I do to help is to give some tips on making sure to con the mobs first, etc. The baby-steps. I believe every new player needs to learn the game on their own.

Nonsense. Do you think every new player coming to the game knows someone? Yet they make it through. You just need to adjust your expectations a bit - or perhaps decide that FFXI is simply not for you.

The game's been out for 5+ years - I promise you, you are not the first person to come to it brand-new after its initial launch who didn't know anyone, or had to solo their first levels, or had to wait for a group, and on and on. 100s of thousands of others have done it,  you can too.. if you want to stick with it.