Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQ2 impressions

dominiadominia Member Posts: 191
After hearing multiple people tell me how EQ2 has changed and is one of the best (content wise) mmo’s on the market I figured I’d give it a fair shot. Rolled a Wizard and got her to level 15 last night. From a long time mmo’er (10 years so far ><) here’s my impressions so far.

The Good –

-          Timorous Deep is one of the better starting zones I’ve played in an mmo. Well layed out, and a running story line that gradually builds to you defending the city during a mini invasion.

-          AA system seems well fleshed out and almost a more important part of the game then actually leveling.

-          Had a random person ‘mentor’ me (delevel down to my level and do quests with me). Great idea started with CoX and seems perfected with EQ2.

-          Running animation for all races seems to be much smoother since I played last (nov 04). Was a big thing to me.

-          Good gear from quests will keep you from spending money at least till 20.

-          Housing system seems well fleshed out. You can interact with object you put in your house as well as tour other people’s homes.

-          Standard easy to use AH system. Can access it from house is a plus, advanced search options can be easier to navigate then WoW’s drop down (will have to play with it more to get a feel for it though).

The Bad –

-          Lots of fun/good/interesting quests but still many “collect x bear paws” quests.

o   Rebuttal – For drop quests, you don’t have to actually loot it, just shows up in your bag automatically and at least in the early levels the drop rate has always been 100%.

-          Classes feel the same at the early levels but should come into their own around 25-30. AA talents can change this though.

-          Terrain can and does have washed out bland textures some times.

-          Still due to the skeletal system the devs went with, there is a limited number possible gear models – texture makes gear look different.

o   Rebuttal -  Devs are working on a new skeletal system for all races which should improve performance and open up many new gear model possibilities. Doesn’t help me right now though.

-          Lots of options for UI but still feels clunky.

Indifferent –

-          Coming from other games (GW, WoW, DDO..) the colors can look washed out and objects can look plastic-y. Graphics are not for everyone.

-          Combat system is interesting and seems to finally have a focus. In WoW combat is designed around very few actions with short cooldowns, EQ is opposite with many actions and long cooldowns.

-          It’s disappointing that WoW has not implemented a group combat system like Heroic Oppertunites (even FFXI has something close to this  in skill chains/bursts). That said, HO’s haven’t played too much of a impact on my gaming as my Wiz can nuke something down quicker then setting up a chain attack.

Overall good, not sure if it’s good enough to stick with but want to give it a chance to at least 30. If anyone wants play with me I’m on Antonia Bayle, named Divinity.

Currently Playing: GW2
Retired: Shadowbane, DAoC, WoW, FFXI, Eve Online, SWToR

The Aphelion MMO Blog - GW2 Initial Impressions

Comments

• openedge1openedge1 Member Posts: 2,582

Originally posted by dominia

After hearing multiple people tell me how EQ2 has changed and is one of the best (content wise) mmo’s on the market I figured I’d give it a fair shot. Rolled a Wizard and got her to level 15 last night. From a long time mmo’er (10 years so far ><) here’s my impressions so far.

The Good –
    -          Timorous Deep is one of the better starting zones I’ve played in an mmo. Well layed out, and a running story line that gradually builds to you defending the city during a mini invasion.
    -          AA system seems well fleshed out and almost a more important part of the game then actually leveling.
    -          Had a random person ‘mentor’ me (delevel down to my level and do quests with me). Great idea started with CoX and seems perfected with EQ2.
    -          Running animation for all races seems to be much smoother since I played last (nov 04). Was a big thing to me.
    -          Good gear from quests will keep you from spending money at least till 20.
    -          Housing system seems well fleshed out. You can interact with object you put in your house as well as tour other people’s homes.
    -          Standard easy to use AH system. Can access it from house is a plus, advanced search options can be easier to navigate then WoW’s drop down (will have to play with it more to get a feel for it though).

The Bad –
    -          Lots of fun/good/interesting quests but still many “collect x bear paws” quests.
    o   Rebuttal – For drop quests, you don’t have to actually loot it, just shows up in your bag automatically and at least in the early levels the drop rate has always been 100%.
    -          Classes feel the same at the early levels but should come into their own around 25-30. AA talents can change this though.
    -          Terrain can and does have washed out bland textures some times.
    -          Still due to the skeletal system the devs went with, there is a limited number possible gear models – texture makes gear look different.
    o   Rebuttal -  Devs are working on a new skeletal system for all races which should improve performance and open up many new gear model possibilities. Doesn’t help me right now though.
    -          Lots of options for UI but still feels clunky.

Indifferent –
    -          Coming from other games (GW, WoW, DDO..) the colors can look washed out and objects can look plastic-y. Graphics are not for everyone.
    -          Combat system is interesting and seems to finally have a focus. In WoW combat is designed around very few actions with short cooldowns, EQ is opposite with many actions and long cooldowns.
    -          It’s disappointing that WoW has not implemented a group combat system like Heroic Oppertunites (even FFXI has something close to this  in skill chains/bursts). That said, HO’s haven’t played too much of a impact on my gaming as my Wiz can nuke something down quicker then setting up a chain attack.

Overall good, not sure if it’s good enough to stick with but want to give it a chance to at least 30. If anyone wants play with me I’m on Antonia Bayle, named Divinity.
    Greets..

Well, you make a lot of good points. Some can actually be worked around or even changed...and as well, depending on how you play the game, it can change the format..

Example 1. Guilds are a major pulling point: The way the guild system is set up is everyone contributes and makes the guild who it is..not just hey lets form a guild..blah.. You complete quests that level the guild up, and then allows for various options as you hit specific levels. Everything from discounts on horses, homes, you gain titles only allowed through this system. It also forms a mentality to help the guild keep moving down the path to make it more powerful.

Example 2: Even though there are still the lot of kill 10x, etc. There is also a variety in quest lines. For example..one time you may find a dead body in the road, and wolves surround it...after killing the wolves, you find a note on the body, with a note of dire emergency, as a valley not far from you is being used to open a gateway to another dimension where several powerful demons will come forth..You must stop this...or another quest, when you get to close to a strange object, and then next thing you know you are captured, thrown into prison, and must either escape or fight your way out...that is what is totally different and unique about the quest system..

Example 3: The plastic models can now be changed out for the SOGA system if you like an anime type of look (FFXI, etc..), you can see an example here...just scroll down and see the changes

http://eq2players.station.sony.com/en/news_ff.vm?FeatureName=SOGAmodels

I could go on...but, instead, I invite you to look into our Guild...Simple Complexities. We have just started the guild, and it is based on a group of people from an online game network (http://www.gaxonline.com/profile/Openedge1)...we have put the guild into place to help people learn about this fantastic game, and help others grow..

Look for me online as Jheren, Amatheon or look for Crystos or Straje

Good luck, and come have some fun!

Later