Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any levelless mmos?

lethislethis Member Posts: 1

I've been looking for a new game for quite some time.  I've played numerous closed and open betas as well as many new releases over the last couple of years.  They all are the same thing.  XP until you level.

What I am looking for is a MMO that is based upon skill use and skill trees.  If you melee alot, you melee branches into multiple skills, which further branch, etc.  If you cast fire spells, they branch into higher level fire spells.  Same with healing, armor use, buffs, etc.

Is there a game out there like this or one in beta that I can look into?

Comments

• SaikronSaikron Member Posts: 90

Darkfall will be skill based if it ever makes it to beta :P

• vajurasvajuras Member Posts: 2,860

There really isnt much out there. EVE Online is close, but its timed based. Really close but not pure skill-based....

There are some coops/SP RPGs out there like TES, crackdown xbox360

There's a few in development too (WELL online, earthrise, DFO, and some others) ....

I'll check to see if this one game ive been helping test is rdy to accept more testers.. argh, I hate not being able to talk bout it cause I like it a lot

• GuitanoGuitano Member Posts: 208

The new game added to mmorpg.com Earthrise is skill based also.

• Neocron sort of has a semi use based system.  Its not a skill tree though, just flat out skills.  Old SWG was use base training, but no longer.  UO is still use based I believe.

I don't think you will see pure used based system much any more.  They are not all they are cracked up to be.  They appear cool at first blush,  but in reality they are a mess to maintain and just as silly as level based systems just in different ways.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Fury i think is skill based and free to play now dunno about lvls, but seems you get like guild wars skills, there no classes.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• brutalcakesbrutalcakes Member Posts: 18

can't forget about city of heroes/villains

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

PotBS is a hybrid. When you gain a lvl, you gain a skill point to raise a skill of your own choice. That way the level doesnt matter that much. Because you dont know where the other player have put thier skill points.

• SandboxGodSandboxGod Member Posts: 8

Originally posted by gestalt11

Neocron sort of has a semi use based system.  Its not a skill tree though, just flat out skills.  Old SWG was use base training, but no longer.  UO is still use based I believe.

I don't think you will see pure used based system much any more.  They are not all they are cracked up to be.  They appear cool at first blush,  but in reality they are a mess to maintain and just as silly as level based systems just in different ways.
    Are you kidding a new skill-based title gets announced every couple of months. Its always been a known fact most PVPers hate Classes. Like Levels, it sucks to lose due to imbalances

Team Fortress 2 did well for a PVP Class based title but even it is losing players to freeform FPS titles that do not suffer from ridiculous Class imbalances. The latest imbalance they say a team of scouts wipes all

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

ultima online

• Originally posted by SandboxGod

Originally posted by gestalt11

Neocron sort of has a semi use based system.  Its not a skill tree though, just flat out skills.  Old SWG was use base training, but no longer.  UO is still use based I believe.

Are you kidding a new skill-based title gets announced every couple of months. Its always been a known fact most PVPers hate Classes. Like Levels, it sucks to lose due to imbalances

Team Fortress 2 did well for a PVP Class based title but even it is losing players to freeform FPS titles that do not suffer from ridiculous Class imbalances. The latest imbalance they say a team of scouts wipes all

Assuming a skill system has to have use based advancement is incorrect.

You can have all the skills you want and not make it use based.  Too bad a lot of people smoosh the two together.   Even with  a non-use based system being the currently most popular skill game, EvE online.

I am not sure why the various skill proponents can't clean up their terms and lumps 4 or 5 different systems together but they do and they need to stop.

It may be the case that use-based requires something like a skill system.  It is certainly NOT the case that a skill system requires used based advancement. 

And use based advancement has serious problems.  Just read Raph Koster's posts about it if you don't beleive me.