Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard sue the pirate bay?

Is this something the court decided because World of Warcraft is so famous name?

Or did Blizzard decide this because they are greedy?

Is it a crime to download World of Warcraft from http://www.wow-europe.com ? Hmm no. Its free.

Im suprised because its free to download the client on blizzards own homepage.

Why is it a crime to download it from thepiratebay that has faster download then blizzards torrent tracker?

And why must theese poor guys pay 300 billion dollar to blizzard because some people downloaded free client from there website?

Source (in swedish):

http://www.e24.se/branscher/ittelekom/artikel_224389.e24

Comments

• KinsulaKinsula Member Posts: 11

Due to legal loopholes, the Pirate Bay are practically immune to sueing. It won't happen.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

This, I do not understand.

Blizzard should be THANKING pirate bay to help them distribute WOW without charge. This actually can help drive subscriptions since there is no way to play on a Blizzard server without paying for it.

Yes, I know about the private servers, but they are buggy and just not the same as the official ones. "Piracy" (if you can call it that in this case) won't hurt and can only help Blizzard.

• dterrydterry Member Posts: 449
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Blizzard should be THANKING pirate bay to help them distribute WOW without charge. This actually can help drive subscriptions since there is no way to play on a Blizzard server without paying for it.
    Yes, I know about the private servers, but they are buggy and just not the same as the official ones. "Piracy" (if you can call it that in this case) won't hurt and can only help Blizzard.

Maybe they are concerned about what people are downloading? Maybe they were concerned about people putting a spyware/virus laced version of WoW out for download and taking a hit to their own reputation for it?

• cupertinocupertino Member Posts: 1,094

The pros and cons of downloading off pirate sites;

Cons:

1. Virus infected version that borks your system and steals your data

2. Allows people to downlaod and play on pirate servers (blizzard gets mo money for their hard work)

3. Some 1 downloads a bad copy, buys a legal key and the account is stolen due to a keylogger built in.. and who gets the blame? Blizzard.

Pros:

There are none.

In regards to the download speed issue, there are loads of legal sites to download the WoW client at including gamershell and fileplanet all at top speeds. There is just no reason to download off a dodgy torrent site if your an honest player.

• MrVicchioMrVicchio Member Posts: 598

It's a site that's the den of thieves , and they are allowing a copyrighted trademarked software to be used on their site without the permission of Blizzard.

If Ford was giving away free cars, and the local chop shop was giving away the same free car that they obtained without permission, you can bet your arse that Ford would be suing them.

What part of "It's stealing" don't you thieves get?

Always change your signature.

• JelloB2000JelloB2000 Member CommonPosts: 1,848

Originally posted by bakakaka
    (...)

Source (in swedish):
    http://www.e24.se/branscher/ittelekom/artikel_224389.e24

Regarding TPB-article/case: It is a criminal case so there is no suing, only payment for damages (& even then the fines are limited according to swedish law).

From the article ,translation my comments in ():

(lot of talk, skipped)(...)risk fines or up to two years in jail(...).

Three organisations demand at the same time damages from the four accused:

- IFPI, (you all probably know who they are), among those Sony BMG och Universal are part of.

- The swedish lobbyorganisation Antipiratbyr

Originally posted by cupertino

The pros and cons of downloading off pirate sites;
    Cons:
    1. Virus infected version that borks your system and steals your data

2. Allows people to downlaod and play on pirate servers (blizzard gets mo money for their hard work)

3. Some 1 downloads a bad copy, buys a legal key and the account is stolen due to a keylogger built in.. and who gets the blame? Blizzard.

Pros:
    There are none.
    In regards to the download speed issue, there are loads of legal sites to download the WoW client at including gamershell and fileplanet all at top speeds. There is just no reason to download off a dodgy torrent site if your an honest player.

1) True. But if a user gets a virus, it is their own vault and why should Blizzard care?

2) Well, you can download the OFFICIAL version from Blizzard and play on a private server.  Private servers usually sucks with bugs and what-not. People who love the game would be likely to go for the official one and play blizzard anyway.

3) This may be a problem.

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

But Blizzard is thanking them.

What could these guys want the MOST from Blizzard?  Publicity!  They got it.  Blizzard will drop the charges.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

Originally posted by MrVicchio

It's a site that's the den of thieves , and they are allowing a copyrighted trademarked software to be used on their site without the permission of Blizzard.

If Ford was giving away free cars, and the local chop shop was giving away the same free car that they obtained without permission, you can bet your arse that Ford would be suing them.

What part of "It's stealing" don't you thieves get?

If they help blizzard distribute the client and get more business for blizzard, I don't see why blizzard shouldn't embrace it. It is not stealing if Blizzard agrees to it.

The free car example is not relevant because the free car the chop shop giving away does not help Ford.

In this regard, since the only place to play real WOW is on blizzard server, someone else (piratebay or not) distributing the client may actually help blizzard to get more business. So it is completely different from the car example.

Keyloggin & virus can be problems but it can easily fix by blizzard doing a scan on the client before letting it run the game.

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Think of all the peoples who now know they exist, which didn't before they where sued.

Blizzard couldn't thank them any better.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Software can not be distributed in any form without license holder/owners consent. Check the EULA/ToS/ToC for any software out there (whether it's a game or an operating system) which is a commercial product.

And if Blizzard wins, look forward to Microsoft, Symantec, and every other commercial software maker that finds their software being distributed on Piratebay or any other torrent site to unload with every lawyer they have.

Works for me.

• AethiosAethios Member Posts: 1,527

Originally posted by Zorvan
    look forward to Microsoft [...] to unload with every lawyer they have.

They already did. Repeatedly.

They lost, by the way. Pirate Bay is still very much alive. I seriously doubt Blizzard could win a case, or that they would even try, considering that downloading the CDs means nothing and you still have to pay them for the account and the subscription. They are far more likely to go after people hosting "free" servers.

• NazarosNazaros Member Posts: 215

I totally agree with you.

What deserves to be done, deserves to be "well" done...

• ZsasZZsasZ Member Posts: 208

My couple o' pence:

1) TPB doesn't host any files. All they provide ar trackers, which are just little text files. A small difference to some, maybe... but enough of a difference that they're still around.

B) The WoW software you download is a client, and as other posters have already said, freely available in a bunch of other places. Silly me, I thought getting your front-end software installed on as many machines as possible made good business sense.

3) I haven't read up on all the particulars of this, but if I had to guess, they're catching grief because they may have had a modded client available, to play on private servers or something. They got flack a few years ago for having links to a modded Lineage II client like that...

Evil will always win, because Good is dumb.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by Aethios

Originally posted by Zorvan

look forward to Microsoft [...] to unload with every lawyer they have.

They already did. Repeatedly.

I know they did. My point was, if Blizzard were to find the successful angle to win such a case ( not saying they will, but if ), then those companies will all line up again. And this time they'll not only win, they'll destroy every torrent site out there.

• Pappy13Pappy13 Member Posts: 2,138

Could someone please translate the website into English?  I'm curious as to what it actually says.

My guess is that the underlying impetus for this is Blizzard's mergeing with Activision who has been linked to MediaDefender.  MediaDefender has been trying to shut down the Pirate Bay for awhile now and we all know how Blizzard feels about copyright infringement.

For those of you who don't understand why Blizzard would do this, you're not thinking about the big picture.  Sure WoW itself is free to download, but where would you rather have them download your software from? Your server or someone else's?  When it's from your site you have the control.  You can advertise what you want and control what's downloaded and guarantee it's virus free and such.  You can't do that if they are getting your software from another source and if it should happen to have a virus and it gets linked to Blizzard, even if it wasn't download from Blizzard, it still makes Blizzard look bad.  On top of that, Blizzard is able to promote things like their books, card games and other stuff on their website.  If you don't come to their website you don't see it.  It doesn't matter that it's free, you still want them to get it from your website.

• AethiosAethios Member Posts: 1,527

Originally posted by Pappy13
    It oesn't matter that it's free, you still want them to get it from your website.

Except Blizzard isn't offering it on their website. That's why it's on Pirate Bay.

• feacfeac Member UncommonPosts: 127

Originally posted by Aethios

It oesn't matter that it's free, you still want them to get it from your website.

Except Blizzard isn't offering it on their website. That's why it's on Pirate Bay.

u didnt even look  huge great link on front page of thier website for both old wow and TBC

old wow https://signup.worldofwarcraft.com/trial/10dayfreetrial.htm  download link is in bottom right corner u cant miss it it says PC or mac

tbc is http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/burningcrusade/trial/splash.html and is aimed at old returning players

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

Its like going after the pizza delivery dude instead of the chef making the pizzas. They can get rid of the delivery dude but the chef will continue making pizzas and just find another guy to deliver.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

Originally posted by Briansho

Its like going after the pizza delivery dude instead of the chef making the pizzas. They can get rid of the delivery dude but the chef will continue making pizzas and just find another guy to deliver.

Actually it's more like the delivery dude stealing the pizza's from the chef and delivering them to whomever he wants.  The chef isn't doing anything wrong, it's the delivery guy who is giving away his pizza's for free and anyone who accepts them that are breaking the law.  You either go after the pizza delivery guy or the people he deliver's it to and they are doing both.  It's just a bit easier to go after the pizza delivery guy rather than all his customers.

• 56KModem56KModem Member Posts: 38

I have not heard such news until now. It is true that Pirate's Bay is indeed full of loopholes in their agreements and statements making them very hard to actually sue and get a valid case out of it. I don't see why they would even bother since the actual client to WoW is worthless. It is the account number and the login itself that people need to play the game.

Not counting the private servers out there, WoW client is basically useless without connecting to their main server from which people game. I don't see why Blizzard has to attempt to sue anyone especially after such a trivial matter. I doubt that they are doing this out of greed or avarice, I think they could care less. Just seems strange.

“It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."

Actually it's more like the delivery dude stealing the pizza's from the chef and delivering them to whomever he wants.  The chef isn't doing anything wrong, it's the delivery guy who is giving away his pizza's for free and anyone who accepts them that are breaking the law.  You either go after the pizza delivery guy or the people he deliver's it to and they are doing both.  It's just a bit easier to go after the pizza delivery guy rather than all his customers.

Hmm but the guy accepting the pizza *has to* pay the chef. You cannot play WOW on the official servers without paying Blizzard.

And if you play on a private server, it is buggy and incomplete so it is NOT the same pizza in this analogy.

• TheFranchiseTheFranchise Member Posts: 241
    Like someone mentioned, it's possible Blizzard is trying to stop distribution through TPB since that release might be modded in some way to steal people's keys and passwords and other information. If people start getting info stolen, that creates a huge mess for Blizzard's customer service department.

Hmm but the guy accepting the pizza *has to* pay the chef. You cannot play WOW on the official servers without paying Blizzard.

Doesn't matter since the pizza's were not the delivery boy's to give away regardless.  You can't give away something that isn't yours to give away even if it's being given away for free without the consent of those that own it.   You can give out free pizzas as long as whomever creates the pizza doesn't object.  If they do, you have to stop.  Simple as that.

• TyrScotiTyrScoti Member Posts: 26

Actually,

Neither of your arguments "matter".  In Philosophy, it is called a "False Analogy"...

WoW is not a pizza, or a pizza company, or a pizza driver, or a chef.  And until they are the same, it will always be a false analogy.

Just for sum edumacachun.