Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vivendi reports Blizzard's first billion-dollar year

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6185347.html?tag=latestnews;title;1

WOW maker's sales surge 59 percent to over $1.2 billion in revenue in '07; other game divisions' revs slide by 29 percent to $303.1 million; total VG haul over $1.5 billion.

Comments

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

mmorpg are very profitable and we all know that.While companies make $50 and thats it from a game ,mmorpg keep bringing in the cash.In 3 months of a sub it covers that $50 .

Ofc they also make money from box sales.Thats why SoE made so much $$$$ with only 500k(was big back then) because it had 500k people paying $15 a month for over 4 years which amounts to an estimate $30m from subs alone .Now take into account WoW alone has 12 times that number and you get over $350m and it has a high turnover which means loads more then 6m bought the boxes.

• LiddokunLiddokun Member UncommonPosts: 1,665

WoW is pretty much what keeps Vivendi Universal afloat and profitable. Before WoW, Vivendi was almost on the verge of collapse and WoW saved it.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

While WoW has alot to do with thoes profits its not the only reason. Good for blizzard though no doubt.

• memoriememorie Member Posts: 48

Im going to put this right up there on my care-o-meter with the new Britney Spears story.

• slannmageslannmage Member Posts: 540
    Originally posted by memorie

Im going to put this right up there on my care-o-meter with the new Britney Spears story.

Don't post then

• VincenzVincenz Member Posts: 1,498

Originally posted by xenogias

While WoW has alot to do with thoes profits its not the only reason. Good for blizzard though no doubt.

um...yes it is.

"Vivendi's non-Blizzard game divisions--Sierra Entertainment, Sierra Online and Vivendi Games Mobile--saw their revenue sink 29 percent year on year to €204 million ($303 million)"

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

Originally posted by liddokun

WoW is pretty much what keeps Vivendi Universal afloat and profitable. ...

Sorry, completely wrong and utter bull. With all due respect - but the post shows that some people have absolutely no idea what they're talking about.

Yes, Vivendi Games (owner of Blizzard) posted revenues in excess of 1 billion Euros, but guess, the whole Vivendi group posted revenues in excess of 21 billion Euros.

www.vivendi.com/ir/download/pdf/CA%202007%20anglais.pdf

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Originally posted by Vincenz

um...yes it is.

"Vivendi's non-Blizzard game divisions--Sierra Entertainment, Sierra Online and Vivendi Games Mobile--saw their revenue sink 29 percent year on year to €204 million ($303 million)"

So your saying WoW is the only game blizzard has on the shelves? I think your sadly mistaken. I am not saying there other games are bringing in huge profits for them, but WoW is not there only game. I am willing to bet that any and all blizzard store sales are included.

Yes WoW is a major majority of the revenue but other aspects of WoW (clothing ect) and other games are still being sold otherwise distributors would stop carrying them.

u guys are nerds arguing over sumthing soooooo pointless

• saint4Godsaint4God Member Posts: 699

Congratulations Blizzard!

I'm glad to hear a company I'm paying a monthly subscription for is profitable.  The question becomes, will they continue to reciprocate that love?  One of the reason I had so much rage against paying SOE's subscription fees is due to the lack of returned love.  Customers want to see good customer service, meaningful updates/expansions, reliable programming, user-friendly interface, nice pacing, etc.  I think World of Warcraft does all these things...and does them very well. 

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Hopefully they will use these money wisely and do one of these: 1. Make a innovative and creative post-apocalyptic fantasy mmo, that's awesome 2. Make an awesome game 3. Give the money to me. Personally I prefer option 3.

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

Originally posted by Sharne

um...yes it is.

So your saying WoW is the only game blizzard has on the shelves? I think your sadly mistaken. I am not saying there other games are bringing in huge profits for them, but WoW is not there only game. I am willing to bet that any and all blizzard store sales are included.

Yes WoW is a major majority of the revenue but other aspects of WoW (clothing ect) and other games are still being sold otherwise distributors would stop carrying them.

Actually you are mostly wrong ;) The last game Blizzard realesed not related to wow was a Warcraft 3 expansion in 2003. Now I am not going to dispute the fact that Blizzard probably do still sell copies of Diablo, Warcraft, Starcraft etc but I think we can all pretty much agree that the revenue created from the sales of these older games will be minimal at best. Sorry but it does have to be assumed that most if not all of Blizzards profits come from the sales of Wow or wow related merchandise.

You should do some actual research and fact-checking before you get too carried away with yourself.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

You should do some actual research and fact-checking before you get too carried away with yourself.

Um...seriously Chief. Those sales aren't coming from other Blizzard products in any meaningful way at this point.

Amazon:

Diablo Battle Chest: ranked 472 in game sales

Starcraft: ranked 1035 in game sales

Diablo 2: ranked 981 in game sales

Warcraft 3: ranked 265 in game sales

Now, granted, that's just Amazon, but those games aren't selling nearly enough boxes to begin to add up to much in the total sales figures vs. WoW.

• BakoryoBakoryo Member UncommonPosts: 469

Wow, maybe they can revamp the graph's in wow or just make a decent/good mmo :D

Tbh, like everyone is saying, making a mmo that gets popular is a huge profit~

The speed of the mole and the power of steel is my weapon

Originally posted by Bakoryo

Wow, maybe they can revamp the graph's in wow or just make a decent/good mmo :D

Tbh, like everyone is saying, making a mmo that gets popular is a huge profit~

never gonna happen cause Blizzard want the game to run on every pc out there but if you look at the new expansion, the graphics do look better.

• BuzWeaverBuzWeaver Member UncommonPosts: 978

Congratulations to them. Thought I'm not a major WoW fan, I did enjoy playing. What I think is great about the game is how much attention it has brought to MMO's. Its also impressive that there is a more diverse group of gamers.

The Old Timers Guild
    Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!

www.oldtimersguild.com
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it. - Jef Mallett

Um...seriously Chief. Those sales aren't coming from other Blizzard products in any meaningful way at this point.

Amazon:

Now, granted, that's just Amazon, but those games aren't selling nearly enough boxes to begin to add up to much in the total sales figures vs. WoW.

Did you look at what was ranked #1 in video games on Amazon?  That chart isn't indicative of the market. 

Originally posted by Chieftan

Amazon:

Did you look at what was ranked #1 in video games on Amazon?  That chart isn't indicative of the market. 

Chief, no offense, but if you think Starcraft, warcraft, and diablo box sales of very old games by comparison came even CLOSE to the 2 million boxes of WoW sold (minimum), let alone the 150 million dollars a MONTH they bring in from subscription revenues...you're off your rocker.  You're literally comparing the drop to the bucket.

• LiddokunLiddokun Member UncommonPosts: 1,665

Perhaps I should rephrase, WoW is Vivendi's single best seller out of all the products that it is selling. Blizzard is a subdivision of Vivendi that almost single handedly raise the company out of the slumps back in the 1990-2000 era. Okay let me clarify... Vivendi the original company was on the verge of collapse but it merged with other companies via a series of acquisitions, mergers and sell offs... now Vivendi Universal is doing VERY well as a group of companies due to their smart acquisitions.

If you want a more detailed list of Vivendi's up and downs you can check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vivendi_Universal

Amazon:

Chief, no offense, but if you think Starcraft, warcraft, and diablo box sales of very old games by comparison came even CLOSE to the 2 million boxes of WoW sold (minimum), let alone the 150 million dollars a MONTH they bring in from subscription revenues...you're off your rocker.  You're literally comparing the drop to the bucket.

Going by Amazon, on the PC game sales chart Starcraft Battlechest is outselling Crysis, Bioshock and C&C 3.  Those games were bestsellers last year.  Warcraft 3 Battlechest is only 3 spots below C&C 3.

Amazon:

Going by Amazon, on the PC game sales chart Starcraft Battlechest is outselling Crysis, Bioshock and C&C 3.  Those games were bestsellers last year.  Warcraft 3 Battlechest is only 3 spots below C&C 3.

Well, you can do the numbers a lot easier than all this actually...

We know that WoW sold 2 million boxes minimum last year (probably more like 3-4) @ approx. 30.00 per box.  60 million in revenues.  We know that subs are about 4 million on monthlies outside Asia, so that's 720 million a year in revenues minimum.

That's 780 million in revenues right there, out of Blizzards 814 million...

Don't need Amazon when you can just do the math.

p.s. Just to be clear, even if Warcraft, Warcraft 2, Warcraft 3, Diablo, Diablo 2, and Starcraft ALL sold a million copies each (and they weren't even close)...that's 6 million copies @ approx. 20 bucks each...that'd be 120 million in revenues out of 814 million.  And chances are they sold about a 10th of that each.

• QuantumQrackQuantumQrack Member UncommonPosts: 81

I am glad I haven't contributed a dime to Vivendi's coffers. :-)

I can only imagine what the numbers will be for the beginning of 2009...

• orodeonorodeon Member Posts: 79

Amazon:

actualy starcraft is still a best seller in foreign countrys  they play it as a sport in south korea and have televised matches...

Originally posted by orodeon

actualy starcraft is still a best seller in foreign countrys  they play it as a sport in south korea and have televised matches...

Does gaming qualify as a sport?  It would make the next olympics more interesting than previous years.

This discussion has been closed.