Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quite a good mmorpg...

slannmageslannmage Member Posts: 540

I've tried nearly every mmorpg since the late 90's and there was only one i really loved which was SWG. I've given this game another go and it has sooo much going for it and sooo many features that other mmorpgs should have in place. I felt like EQ2 is experimenting and succeeding with lots of features i've neevr seen in a game before like; Web Browser (was in EVE), Achievements, card game, physic puzzles like having to stack 2 boxes on top of eachother to jump over a bone fence and other things like pig racing or climbing up walls lol.... i also really like the idea for guid levels. So theres ALOT EQ2 offers in one package which other mmorpgs like WOW really need to look at and copy, because they're such great features, specially the achievements and guild levels.

With all that though i just couldn't like the game and partly because alot of the old zones like Antonica and Nek and TS were sooo boring and ugly but also because it's soooo hard to find a group in this game to be able to do the fun content. I could spend weeks  looking for a 6 person group at like level 20 and it's just no fun waiting and no fun solo'ing through a mmorpg because you miss sooo much content. I felt more alone in this game than EVE Online and back in beta the game was sooo crowded i was always in groups at any level and i actually had fun back then..... i wish there was only 3 servers one for PVP one for nomal and other RP because how EQ2 is set up with the ability to open multiple zones it would work a treat and be far more popular.

My other problems with EQ2 is the fact that the character models are very ugly and i just wish they all got a facelift so they had more character and looked less plastic. Also EQ2 has a quite bland feeling, theres lots of nice zones but theres also lots of ugly ones too and alot of it is empty like TS.... CL though because of my beta nostalgia i love. Other problems are things like the combat which i really wish'd SOE would turn off auto face and wish'd they'd focus abit more on PVP because i love PVP but the combat just doesn't work well with it. Also i found the UI to be really ugly and buggy so i feel like it needs a facelift too and to work alot smoother like WOW's but keeping the customization. I'd also like to add that i hate the loading screens when zoning..... i'd much prefer the boats to come back from beta so it seems more seemless and instead of the loading screens just have ingame loading like HL has so it doesn't ruin the immersion.

EQ2 has alot of great points and i really liked playing the trial but it just has some faults which put me off playing.

Comments

• shadout00shadout00 Member Posts: 253

When RoK came out, Timorous Deep basically flashed a sign saying they  need to revamp all the old zones. The gear offered in TD is WAY better than anything you can get from the other zones of the same tier. They definitely need to start redoing the zones and fixing the quest rewards. More quests in Antonica wouldn't hurt either. They are making it so that you overlook a lot of the older zones (Blackburrow, Stormhold...) and most people are just heading over to TD, DLW and CL.

• slannmageslannmage Member Posts: 540

It's not the items i had a problem with it's the ugly blandness of Nek and TS and Antonica, i wish they gave them a facelift so they're more exciting and pleasing to the eye.

Oh yeah I definitely wasn't saying its the items at all. The older zones are definitely more bland and boring compared to the new ones, and a revamp of them and the quests (rewards also) would be a good facelift.

I forgot to mention 3 things...

1. Armor is ugly

2. I never get the sense that i'm evil

3. Classes are boring.

I loved the look of the armor in the early 2002/2003 days but for some reason alot of it vanished and not i see all this horrible ugly looking armor. I see games like WOW and WAR and the armor looks soooo kool and then back to EQ2 and just feels rather meh.

I create a character in Freeport but i never feel evil at all and instead all the quests just feel like i'm helping people and i'm thinking under Lucan why would i want to help people? I never look evil too and it just feels all tooo happy and i don't see the point of having 2 sides if we're all going to be friends holding hands.

Theres sooo many classes that none of them have character or feel fun to play like in other games such as WOW where all the classes feel rather unique and fun. I tried alot of classes but i just couldn't find one i liked and yeh i love having lots of choice but i'd rather have quality and not quantity.

Like i said theres lots of kool features but the feel of the game is just off.

Originally posted by slannmage

1. Armor is ugly

3. Classes are boring.

I loved the look of the armor in the early 2002/2003 days but for some reason alot of it vanished and not i see all this horrible ugly looking armor. I see games like WOW and WAR and the armor looks soooo kool and then back to EQ2 and just feels rather meh.

I create a character in Freeport but i never feel evil at all and instead all the quests just feel like i'm helping people and i'm thinking under Lucan why would i want to help people? I never look evil too and it just feels all tooo happy and i don't see the point of having 2 sides if we're all going to be friends holding hands.
    Theres sooo many classes that none of them have character or feel fun to play like in other games such as WOW where all the classes feel rather unique and fun. I tried alot of classes but i just couldn't find one i liked and yeh i love having lots of choice but i'd rather have quality and not quantity.

You won't understand the differences between the classes until probably 30+. I just made a coercer about last week and I thought it sucked up until after 25. I could clearly see the difference between him and an illusionist, but even then I read that coercer change even MORE after 50. Even with my fury I noticed the difference between a warden earlier on when I realized furies can nuke for a ton in their 20's.

You got to play through it. Its a plateau you have to get over then you will understand. If it takes too long to figure it out I suggest that EQ2 isn't your type of game.

Originally posted by shadout00

Originally posted by slannmage

1. Armor is ugly

3. Classes are boring.

You won't understand the differences between the classes until probably 30+. I just made a coercer about last week and I thought it sucked up until after 25. I could clearly see the difference between him and an illusionist, but even then I read that coercer change even MORE after 50. Even with my fury I noticed the difference between a warden earlier on when I realized furies can nuke for a ton in their 20's.

You got to play through it. Its a plateau you have to get over then you will understand. If it takes too long to figure it out I suggest that EQ2 isn't your type of game.

Even worse back in beta cause you couldn't play the class you picked until you were level 20 and back then it took sooo long to get to 20 and then you had to get another 20 odd levels to work out if you liked the class or not. All you ended up doing was getting to level 16 and getting bored and realise you can't be bothered.......... sucked for me cause i leveled up SK and realised it wasn't what i thought it was going to be.

I waated a Evil class :(

• DuraheLLDuraheLL Member Posts: 2,951

You dont understand this game enough to give it the criticism you gave it.

You never need a 6 player group really. 2-3 is well enough to do most thins in the game unless you want to do a instance which can be hard. If you wanna do theese with 2-3 people you better level up and be above average for the instance/dungeon.

Armor looks awful in many cases but it has been upgraded and you can look whatever you want like with the "appearance" function (Keep that in mind everyone).

Most of your complaints are only against looks anyway and if that is your major issue I suggest you start looking into gameplay above graphics.

$OE lies list
    http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=424&start=0
    "
    And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is ******* vampires! "

• SolaseSolase Member Posts: 24

Originally posted by shadout00

When RoK came out, Timorous Deep basically flashed a sign saying they  need to revamp all the old zones. The gear offered in TD is WAY better than anything you can get from the other zones of the same tier. They definitely need to start redoing the zones and fixing the quest rewards. More quests in Antonica wouldn't hurt either. They are making it so that you overlook a lot of the older zones (Blackburrow, Stormhold...) and most people are just heading over to TD, DLW and CL.
    First off, I understand your point of view.  However, I doubt EQ2 will go back and revamp old zones until it reaches it's age like EQ1 did.  In fact, WoW suffers from the same debilitation.  The new zones created for the blood elves and draenei drop better gear and provide new content that others wish was provided to the original starting areas.  Will WoW go back and revamp those areas?  Hard to say, but given their recent change to make it easier to lvl 1-60, I doubt they'll put anymore effort into these areas.

One thing I will say though is those who are new and just starting out, it would be a shame if they don't at least go back and play a bit in the original content.  I love both the Queynos and Freeport sewers and the eerie sounds keep the feeling alive that your in a deep dank dungeon type terrain.  Stormhold is another one I love.  When the graphics are dialed up and you are fighting mobs in those tight spaces, it's just plain beautiful!!!  One thing I wish they'd do is slow down the fights and running speed.  It loses a bit of it's luster when mobs notice you and they run at you all funky like because the graphics were original designed for a slower movement.  It also hurts combat because it becomes more button mashing rather than skill and strategy.

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

I would agree on the character models and armor sets.  They are definitely not as exciting as say wow.  I mean yes wow is cartoonie but you look impressive and cool and there are lots of different armor sets.  In EQ2 it has improved a lot since launch but it is still rather blah.  Look at some of the shots from Age of Conan that game looks to have character models and armor sets down!!

I don't think the zones are bad however.  Yeah the new zones are better but I think the old ones are good as well.  I enjoy antonica and have a character I'm running around with in nektos forest now and liking it.  I'm sure glad they moved those firebats whatever they were called.  Originally when I played in beta and at release they made nektos a frustrating death trap.

In my opinion EQ2 is the best MMORPG thats released today all things considered. 

---
    Ethion

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Go play in Neriak for a while. There's one quest there that just made me wince because its so evil. Mind you, I love horror movies and novels and find myself thinking "ewww cool" more often than not no matter how horrifying its supposed to be, but this quest just gave me the shivers because it was so intensely evil. I haven't played Neriak for a while so I'm not sure if there are others of that level of "evil" because, since the release of RoK, I've been kinda busy with the expansions.

However, that quest is one that you get fairly early (like in the teens somewhere). You have to go to a place to gather up the spirits of pure souls and then take them to the Well of Nightmares and release them inside so they suffer for eternity. You want evil, go play Neriak.