Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

is FFXI dying?

mannequinmannequin Member Posts: 165

I used to play this game years ago, and it was a very good game.

But recently, I have noticed the number of players havn't been all that high...

So I was wondering your oppinion on this game...it's a shame to see it like this.

Comments

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

it's going the way of all add static content as the only content, and raise the level cap games.

even if it's perfectly well and alive right now, it won't be forever.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• thelawoflogicthelawoflogic Member UncommonPosts: 788

no the game isn't dying there a lot people on depends on the sever

• ParkCarsHereParkCarsHere Member Posts: 666

I used to play FFXI and loved it. I quit when WoW came out, but have been wanting to play it again. However, I don't think I have that much time in a row to play it, as my play time is about 2 hours a day.

Now, on topic, is FFXI dying? Like I said, I don't play it right now, but from what I've gathered from a few FFXI forums is that the low level content is starting to die. What I mean by that is that new players may be starting, but they're finding out there are not other new players to level with, so they are quitting soon after, creating a Catch-22 for everyone who wants to start over.

However, this is based on forum posters, so take that for what it is. I'd be interested in knowing for sure if the game is in fact dying. Square must not think it is because they just released a new expansion Q4 last year.

• curiindicuriindi Member Posts: 488

According to the last estimate on MMOGData, FFXI has half a million players. Although I feel the number is slightly lower nowadays, FFXI should still have more players world-wide than EQ2, EVE, or LotRO.

I have characters in several WoW servers (RP and PvP) and two FFXI worlds. A quick check showed that the FFXI worlds I'm in all had more logged-in players than the three WoW servers that I frequent. However, this can just be due to WoW keeping their servers regional.

I agree that FFXI feels like a dying game for new players - I see barely any player interaction whenever I log on with my level 1 mule. Not many people like talking outside of private messages, party log, or linkshell chat!

• Jeff44Jeff44 Member Posts: 459

It occurs to me that if what is said here is true, then this could be a real problem for FFXI (the lack of players at low level) in that the game forces you at a certain level to group if you are going to progress. If they cannot attract new players (or convince the old ones to start alts) then it stands to reason that the game will stagnate as fewer players find it possible to find a group and advance in the game.

user
  • SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788

Originally posted by Jeff44

It occurs to me that if what is said here is true, then this could be a real problem for FFXI (the lack of players at low level) in that the game forces you at a certain level to group if you are going to progress. If they cannot attract new players (or convince the old ones to start alts) then it stands to reason that the game will stagnate as fewer players find it possible to find a group and advance in the game.

Wow, I swear I was just thinking about that, only a few seconds prior to reading your post :P

Honestly, from my experience with both games, this game is even more group dependant overall than even Everquest (and that's saying something.) In EQ, many people that start up today either have the option to dual-box or play a solo-friendly class from the beginning. These are both viable, yet less-enjoyable (imo), methods of progressing in the game, both of which are not possible for a new player in FFXI. Since you can't play one of the few solo-friendly classes in FFXI from the beginning, it leaves you with only one option - grouping. And if the game goes the same direction as EQ in terms of natural attrition (which it inevitably will) square-enix will need to come up with an alternative to forced grouping, atleast in the earlier levels. As for the dual-boxing, it can be done if you have two seperate computers I believe, but I'm not sure how far you could get with just two characters alone, not to mention how tricky it would be to play them both well enough to succeed.

I'm sorry if I'm sounding a bit harsh with all of this, but I've honestly been thinking and thinking about returning to the game myself, but I'm worried I'll get stuck in a dead-end due to lack of low level players.

I think adding some solo-able mobs or content to the first 30 levels of the game would be a godsend.

• TH1RSTYTH1RSTY Member Posts: 20

The soloing as a lot of classes really isn't as horrible as people would think.  At least in the lower levels and they have also added solo/duo/trio xp buffs a little while ago and xp rings that can multiply the xp you get for a short period of time and they are recharged easily with conquest points.  No, your not going to get as good xp solo that you would with a group but soloing is possible and people will always be leveling new jobs and having new jobs from november would increase the amount of people leveling lower level jobs (I would assume). 

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by paulscott

it's going the way of all add static content as the only content, and raise the level cap games.
    even if it's perfectly well and alive right now, it won't be forever.

First of all, "the game is dying" threads are moot. They're based on little more than supposition and, many times (not all),  wishful thinking by those who revel in the thought that a game they don't like is "dying", so they can gloat and "dance on its grave".

In their myopic little worlds, since they don't like it, surely it's no good and should die. Of course, reality hardly ever shares their point-of-view and so, these circling vultures are most often wrong.

On that note, I have to respond to the quoted post directly because it's such a classic example.

1. It's going the way of add static content...

.... Really. That's very insightful and informative. Could you generalize any more perhaps? 

2. ... and raise the level cap games.

This bit literally got an incredulous "Huh?" out of me when I read it. Someone hasn't been doing their research.

SE raised the level cap *once* and only once in FFXI's 5+ year history. That was with Rise of the Zilart, their first expansion, released 4+ years ago before FFXI was released in the US. They raised it from 50 to 75. It has stayed at 75 ever since and SE has stated on several occasions that they see no need to raise it further.

Instead of raising the cap further, they add more content across the existing levels. They've also added a Merit Point system which allows players to earn points to be distributed across a variety of stats and abilities - of their choice - to improve/enhance their characters as they wish.

So, the fact is, FFXI is one of the few MMO's out there that doesn't follow the trend of repeatedly raising the level cap.

Finally... there's this last comment, whose purpose is fairly transparent:

3. even if it's perfectly well and alive right now, it won't be forever.

It's a generalization covering another generalization. In other words,  "the game won't be around forever, so eventually I'll be right" - and then he can say "I told you so".

I guess with that line of thinking... anyone can be right about alot of things. "Even if that car's tires are new right now - eventually they're going to have to be replaced". "Even if that glass is full right now, eventually it's going to be empty". And so forth...

As for the topic in general... No, FFXI is not dying. People said it was dying 2 years ago as well, and it wasn't then either. 

As of the latest Vana'diel Census, FFXI has over 500,000 registered accounts, broken down into  fine detail of job/race distribution, among other variables - pretty consistent with what they'd had in years prior. For example, 2005's census also noted over 500,000 registered accounts. In other words, it's doing fine. Google "Vana'diel Census" it if you want to see all the details for yourself.

Lower Jeuno still lags a bit due to all the people near the AH. Whitegate is the same. Common party spots still become over-camped at times. I'm seeing more players spreading out into areas that have traditionally been ignored.

In short.. the game is doing fine.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• lilune666lilune666 Member Posts: 129

On both Titan and Odin, I've noticed the influx of new players from the latest expansion was very, very small compared to CoP & ToAU.  Doesn't mean it's dying or anything like that, but it does mean it's growth is checked by competition or other factors.  I've noticed old players tend to stick to this game like glue, but newer players that'll stay past their support job quest are too few and far between.   The potential for this game to explode into popularity will always be there,  just a solo increase/graphics update away...

• oakaeoakae Member UncommonPosts: 344

The game isn't dying but it isn't growing much either.

• PezDSpencerPezDSpencer Member UncommonPosts: 111

I was playing on Asura about a year ago, and from level 40-45, I couldn't get a group to save my life.  Seems to me that some servers might have a low enough population to consider being combined.

---
    He said to me, "On your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by lilune666

On both Titan and Odin, I've noticed the influx of new players from the latest expansion was very, very small compared to CoP & ToAU.  Doesn't mean it's dying or anything like that, but it does mean it's growth is checked by competition or other factors.  I've noticed old players tend to stick to this game like glue, but newer players that'll stay past their support job quest are too few and far between.   The potential for this game to explode into popularity will always be there,  just a solo increase/graphics update away...

I agree, the game does have a lower "stick" factor than other MMOs, and I think that's due to its being a less "hand-holding" kinda game. There are those who try it out, "get it", take the time to learn the game, ask questions and do a little research... and stick to it. Those are the people SE is making the game for. Not those who want more hand-holding, faster leveling, more soloing, etc. etc.

Graphics update wouldn't be bad. In fact, it would be quite nice - at least a higher resolution texture package for PC/360 users who aren't limited to the PS2 architecture. But I don't anticipate it'll happen and, frankly, FFXI is a nice looking game regardless.

FFXI - at least in concept - aimed toward those who want to take the reigns and make their own way - not be led along by NPCs with ! or ? or other "helper" icons over their heads. They don't mind doing some exploration, talking to NPCs to see what they can learn or asking other players for help when necessary. They're not daunted, nor feel "cheated", by the fact that many things that are beneficial to them require effort on their part to achieve. They don't need the instant/constant gratification of being rewarded for near every little thing they do.

This isn't some "exclusive insight" I have into the game - any one who objectively looks at the design for what it is could well come to the same conclusion. You could call it a more "old-school" type of RPG.

As for increasing soloability.. They're already pushing to promote smaller groups. Players themselves are discovering more options that make soloing more possible for those who really want to go that route - and there some who do prefer that from time to time.

Overall though, FFXI is not, has never been and never will be a soloing game. People knock the game for not being soloable enough and, frankly, I think they miss the point of the game altogether and lose sight of the benefits it  brings by *not* being soloable.

- Much stronger community bond. I see friendships and/or rapports built between players in FFXI stronger than I've ever seen in any other MMO. Conversely, in those that do support/promote soloing, I've seen a distinct lack of it. In my experience... More Soloability = Less Need for Player Interaction = Weaker Community.

- Grouping isn't a "gimmick", but a core design element. The game is built up very much around that core concept and many of the jobs, party-centric abilities and even quests/missions are tied into it.

- Final Fantasy games have always been about a party of characters working together, not a lone-wolf going it alone. FFXI carries on that tradition.

- This point seems to be overlooked an awful lot: FFXI provides an experience that appeals to those who *don't* want a soloable experience. Not everyone wants to play a soloable game. Not everyone wants another WoW or LoTRO or one of their contemporaries.

Though it's a niche group, it exists and SE have chosen to focus on that group. It's to their credit that they have continued to, even while other companies are playing the "me-too" game and jumping on the bandwagon trying to mimic WoW's success, ending up with something that is very transparent to the players as being just another knock-off.

There are plenty of games out there now for those who do want a more soloable game. Still, FFXI players stick with it regardless.

Of course, those are just my views. To look at it objectively, FFXI is a niche game with a very "core" following. SE is aware of this, have acknowledged as much, and are quite satisfied with it. The game has been the way it is for 5+ years now and the whole "soloing" thing has been a topic of discussion for a good portion of that, and they've maintained a pretty consistent player base nonetheless.

SE isn't blind. They see the success of WoW and other so-called "casual friendly" MMO's. That's simply not the crowd they're going for. They have yet to change the game drastically in a more "soloable" direction... there's little reason to think they will in the future.

At the end of the day it boils down to this... FFXI is not for everyone. It's not trying to be for everyone. If it's not for you, then great... certainly there's something out there that is.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops