Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA is a Gamer's Friend now?

GameAlmighty recently posted up an editorial talking about the recent changes over at EA and its affect on the gaming community. Matt Butrovich writes, "In 2007, things began to change for EA that a lot of people may have overlooked. They lost the number one publisher spot to Activision. They lost their CEO and found a new one in John Riccitiello. And most importantly, they lost faith in their business model and realized that they weren’t helping the game industry."

http://www.gamealmighty.com/l/story-individual/story/EA_Gamers_New_Best_Friend/

EA is usually considered the "bad guy" but perhaps they have finally realize the error of their ways? I think the recent history shows us that they have but only time can tell if it will continue into the future. I really hope they finally realize that they were a bad influence on the gaming industry. Their new CEO seems to have his head on straight. What do you guys think?

I'm just glad that they have allowed Mythic to delay Warhammer for a more polished release. I was afraid they were going to rush the release and end up with a buggy pos.

Comments

• It is true EA has been doing things a bit differently in recent months. I'm hoping the company has indeed turned around from being the Archfiend of Gaming that it used to be. I won't hold my breath, but I will remain hopeful.

The article was an interesting read. Thanks for the link.

• SiginSigin Member Posts: 71

I don't think EA is the gamers "friend", or "enemy" any more than any developer, or publisher is a "friend" or "enemy", assuming nothing more than a standard publisher/developer -> consumer relationship.  Meaning, you don't know, or otherwise talk to some member of the team, or company.  Lum, Raph, etc, by way of example.  Or better yet, the personal hatred some of the psycho SWG fanbois have for members of the development team.

EA, just like any other corporation is out to make money.  Period.  To that end it will make whatever decisions it feels will best further that cause.  If they feel that the bad PR they've recieved has hurt the bottom line, then they will bring in various firms to help them turn that negative image around.  As some have mentioned, it is equally likely that the Fox piece on Mass Effect was wholly manufactured by EA as a way of making them look like the good guy.  I neither know, nor care.  My feelings have always been that a good/fun game is a good/fun game regardless of who the dev, or publisher are.

But at the end of the day, EA, or whomever, is still a business, and you're still just an insignificant number in the big picture.

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515

Well.....That was an interesting read, its still too early to say if they have changed there ways but it does offer an olive branch of hope i guess.

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• JrodJrod Member Posts: 234

I have noticed that EA has been getting alot better lately. More of their games have been playable. Also,  I read somewhere that Valve loves them.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

Ya and buying out Bioware was also to me a great choice for them.