Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where ismy Cyber Punk MMO?!?!

Binny45Binny45 Member UncommonPosts: 522

I cannot believe this part of the RPG genre has yet to be tapped by a major company.  With the GURPS and FASA game systems out there (See Fallout with GURPS and Shadowrun with FASA...er...Whizkids now), I'm sure that done right, these games, or something like them could be huge hits.

I'd love to see a 3rd or dare I say it, 4th gen MMO that isn't Fantasy based.  Tabula Rasa and EvE Online are stepping in the right direction, but they just haven't developed the exact mix required for a HUGE hit.  Now before anyone tars and feathers me, what I mean by HUGE hit is something on par with the major MMO's IE: WoW, EQ2, etc.

Comments

• DradiinDradiin Member Posts: 259

The last game based on Shadowrun was decent but targeted the wrong crowd (Counter Strike players) and it went down the crapper.  Interplay holds the rights to a Fallout MMO but speculation is Bethesda is trying to get this IP.  As for cyber punk, look to Fallen Earth and Huxley to fill the void till a Fallout MMO is released.

• lilune666lilune666 Member Posts: 129

A Shadowrun mmo would absolutely dominate it's niche if it were even close to what the rpg has been.  Even remotely close.  Every other classic rpg IP has been screwed to death, peed on and buried upside down, so why not this one?  The mechanics of Shadowrun would lend themselves to an mmo far better than anything so far.  My guess is that the crack heads at Wizkids actualy forgot they owned this property.  Wouldn't surprise me considering their track record. 

• Binny45Binny45 Member UncommonPosts: 522

Yeah, it's a crying shame what they did with Shadowrun.  It was a mere sliver of a shadow of what that game could have been.

Here's hoping we see some fallout goodness.  Dammit, I want a world I can virtually LIVE in, not this WoW crap where you log on, go to point A, Raid, then go to point B and either Raid some more or PvP.

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515

There is also Neocron 2 out right now.

And I've heard a Fallout MMO is maybe being made.

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• OpinicusOpinicus Member UncommonPosts: 34

anarchy-online.com

you can have implants!!!!!

• VincenzVincenz Member Posts: 1,498

The fact that no one has made a Snow Crash MMO is astonishing to me.  The ENTIRE WORLD IS THERE already.  Hell, the game mechanics are there already.

That, Mafia Online, and Wild West Online, will bring me back to a 30 hour a week gamer for a while if they ever come.

• Neocron is Cyber punk.  Its been around for a while.  Considerably longer than the "2nd gen".

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

yea bethesda is working on Fallout 3 atm.

http://fallout.bethsoft.com/index.html

not an mmo, but still looks good.

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• saint4Godsaint4God Member Posts: 699

I made a cyber-punk like character on City of Heroes/Villans.  Though the game felt like a repetative grind, the character creation was VERY flexible with a ton of options.

Shadowrun never really hit it big for computer gaming.  Last one I can remember was on Super Nintendo (which I thought was pretty awesome).

All in all, it doesn't seem the future-esk games have broke through that well - Star Wars Galaxies, Matrix Online, etc.  I don't think it's the fault of the genre, but rather uncompetitive follow-through.  Before World of Warcraft, I wasn't a big fan of Warcraft.  Played Warcraft II a bit, but on the whole was lukewarm about it all.  For World of Warcraft however, the gameplay, user interface, customer service, and so forth made all the difference.  

I agree we need Shadowrun or something in the genre, but more importantly we need a good game in sci-fi scheme.

• natauschnatausch Member Posts: 56

Forget about cyberpunk, where's my steampunk ala Arcanum: of Steamworks and Magick Obscura.

Seriuously though a Shadowrun MMO would be off the charts.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Originally posted by Binny45

Yeah, it's a crying shame what they did with Shadowrun.  It was a mere sliver of a shadow of what that game could have been.
    Here's hoping we see some fallout goodness.  Dammit, I want a world I can virtually LIVE in, not this WoW crap where you log on, go to point A, Raid, then go to point B and either Raid some more or PvP.
    www.fallenearth.com/

• rmk70rmk70 Member UncommonPosts: 408

I'd buy into a true Cyber Punk MMO. Just finished reading Neuromancer for my university sci fi course. Good stuff.

• rmk70rmk70 Member UncommonPosts: 408

Are they still developing Fallen Earth?