Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Yeah. I play WoW. And I like it too.. So what?

Seems like whenver someone posts on a  topic.. and the person has played any wow at all, they immidately get the whole, 'Go back to wow 1337 kiddy" treatment.  Sorry.. But isnt that a little.. erm.. Stupid?

Yeah, I play WoW.  I have over 3100 hours of wow recorded onto xifre over the past 3 years.  Does that make me a moron?  Ive played plenty of other mmorpg's, and wow was just the one that I thought was the most fun to play.

Yes, you entitled to not like wow, sure, your entitled to express your opinion about it, I dont care about that.  But please, Just because I play a game I enjoy dont assume I failed out of school and lack the knowledge and judgement to make opinions on other games.

Why exactly are people so against WoW anyway?

Tyvm :D

-------------------------

Comments

• weblinkz2002weblinkz2002 Member Posts: 112

I'm happy for you that you found an MMO that you like. I don't like the game myself, but I do have to agree with you that there are many of those who like it and many of those who don't.

I for one, am also tired of seeing many people bash the community in WoW. It's like constantly reporting on Brittney Spears and Paris Hilton, except I do not know how many posters make money off of bashing WoW.

I also have to say that I know quite a few people who play/have played WoW and are very successful. I work with many of them.

The reason why people bash WoW is because of the rotten apples that are littered in the community. Parents are using WoW more and more as a babysitter instead of taking time to spend with their children to teach them manners. But this is my opinion.

~Webby "This MMO needs more dead bird."

• oakaeoakae Member UncommonPosts: 344

WITCH! BURN HER!!!

There's really nothing wrong. It's just that many WoWers constantly complain about other MMOs. So if you really don't like the other MMOs there's only WoW.

• EvilxBunny20EvilxBunny20 Member Posts: 65

I don't hate or criticize you for playin it... I just hate the game... mainly because its the most popular MMO and fans say "OMG ITS THE MOST ORIGINAL MMO EVAR" when its not. Its taking what other MMOs did right, and putting it into 1 lil easy to level package. WoW itself is a clone of many other games, and it continues to take the credit from them all... thats why I dont respect it :)... besides, im a more hardcore MMO player... games like Everquest and FFXI are more my cup-o-tea :)

Originally posted by EvilxBunny20

I don't hate or criticize you for playin it... I just hate the game... mainly because its the most popular MMO and fans say "OMG ITS THE MOST ORIGINAL MMO EVAR" when its not. Its taking what other MMOs did right, and putting it into 1 lil easy to level package. WoW itself is a clone of many other games, and it continues to take the credit from them all... thats why I dont respect it :)... besides, im a more hardcore MMO player... games like Everquest and FFXI are more my cup-o-tea :)
    WoW was lucky in the fact that it had a brand name and the time it launched and the great job of their marketing team along with Vivendi. It did take the fun aspects from MMOs that came out first and WoW to me is not the first original MMO.

But Millions of people are playing the game so it has to be fun for them. That is if they aren't addicted.

• NagelFireNagelFire Member Posts: 409

Originally posted by oakae

WITCH! BURN HER!!!
    There's really nothing wrong. It's just that many WoWers constantly complain about other MMOs. So if you really don't like the other MMOs there's only WoW.
    Cause its a cycle.. Everyone bashes wow, that gets the community all defensive.

Oh, and oak.. Im a guy.

;D

-------------------------

• EvilxBunny20EvilxBunny20 Member Posts: 65

Haha, yea. I think my friend is addicted though. He cant stop playing enough at one time to pay the cable bill ;p

• Casuals do tend to enjoy the game more than those who burnt out on the terrible end game content. Ignorance is bliss, and it must be true.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Might be kind of odd...but there MIGHT be people that actually LIKE the game....

I know I know...it is McDonalds and blah blah, but hey, if people are having fun then let them have fun...simple as that...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    The following is my personal opinion, not a fact. And I suggest that people who get easily insulted wouldn't read it.

I think that many people are against WoW because they'd wish something else was as good as WoW is. That they have played WoW, but got bored, either because it didn't offer what they wanted ("meaningful" PvP, deeper crafting system, player run economy, etc), or simply because they had played so lot of it.

Then they have moved on to other games, and find it hard to like those because they know those games lack some of the polish, smoothness, and fun that WoW has. And instead of being able to admit it, they try to delude themselves by hating everything in WoW.

And fact that many games are made like WoW (and thus less games are made diffirent than WoW), makes it easier for many to hate WoW. "Because of WoW's success all games are made like WoW and very few are made like I'd want", is unfortunately a very good reason for many. Even if it's not WoW's fault at all that WoW is so good.

• r0hnr0hn Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by NagelFire

Sorry.. But isnt that a little.. erm.. Stupid?

How stupid is a post proclaiming to like WoW?  We are happy for you, but personally, I don't care.

Originally posted by Slampig

Might be kind of odd...but there MIGHT be people that actually LIKE the game....

I know I know...it is McDonalds and blah blah, but hey, if people are having fun then let them have fun...simple as that...
    Its a game, people who are playing it (those who are playing it regularly and not just testing out the game) have to be enjoying it. Or they are psychologically addicted. Or they are psychologically addicted and enjoy the game.

And you're right the label does count for something. A study done with kindergarten children with mcdonalds hamburgers. They took some out of the wrapper to put a plain wrapping on some burgers and left other burgers in the original wrapping.

The children stated McDonalds burgers tasted better than the other ones. Even at a young age many people start identifying labels and think that their product is better.

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287

Originally posted by r0hn

Sorry.. But isnt that a little.. erm.. Stupid?

How stupid is a post proclaiming to like WoW?  We are happy for you, but personally, I don't care.

Then perhaps you could enlighten us as to what the purpose of this sites forum even is...since it is EVIDENTLY not to discuss MMO's our how we enjoy them.

Or perhaps you are just the snarky little *&$#% and would rather spend your time making useless posts that are little more than flamebait and trolling, thus sullying what is otherwise a rather nice community.  Kudos to that, lord knows that method has proven QUITE effective for the means in the past.

• SramotaSramota Member Posts: 756

Originally posted by oakae
    WITCH! BURN HER!!!There's really nothing wrong. It's just that many WoWers constantly complain about other MMOs. So if you really don't like the other MMOs there's only WoW.

The term is "WoWzer" as per official statement...
    (The Chinese WoW site had the text "You are the WoWzer" on their mainpage when it opened.....)

Just a little curiosa.

Played so far: 9Dragons, AO, AC, AC2, CoX, DAoC, DF, DnL, DR, DDO, Ent, EvE, EQ, EQ2, FoMK, FFO, Fury, GW, HG:L, HZ, L1, L2, M59, MU, NC1, NC2, PS, PT, R:O, RF:O, RYL, Ryzom, SL, SB, SW:G, TR, TCoS, MX:O, UO, VG, WAR, WoW...
    It all sucked.

• TeflonEddieTeflonEddie Member Posts: 270

Originally posted by namelessbob

Casuals do tend to enjoy the game more than those who burnt out on the terrible end game content. Ignorance is bliss, and it must be true.
    So very true. Once you start with the slippery slope of end-game raiding, forever will it warp your perceptions.

Wish to hell I'd kept hold of my ignorance, maybe I'd still be able to play WoW if I had.

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

I never had anything against wow.. as a matter of fact i thought it was a good game... All this was true until I decided to play a little game you wow fans know very very well.. And it goes by the name of Vanguard.. (yes.. I am one of "those" guys)...

I still have nothing against the actual game of WoW.. But the chat bashing me and a bunch of others tolerated over the course of the beta and launch (and now on the forums) was too much to handle and made me VERY apprehensive to ALL those who openly announce their WoWism.. Most WoWers pretend to be "hardcore" because of the status of the game and its population.. They can be bored to shit and start to dislike the game, but when they see an opinion rise, some are VERY VERY quick to annouce that "This game suxors! Im going back to WoW".....

That statement showed up so much in Vanguard that I turned off every chat tab and blocked a whopping 40 people...

All this led me to believe that :

WoW = Pretty good game...

The Community of WoW = leetz and phat lewts PVP suxorz and hakz.....

• ArckenArcken Member Posts: 2,431

Seems like whenver someone posts on a  topic.. and the person has played any wow at all, they immidately get the whole, 'Go back to wow 1337 kiddy" treatment.  Sorry.. But isnt that a little.. erm.. Stupid?
    Yeah, I play WoW.  I have over 3100 hours of wow recorded onto xifre over the past 3 years.  Does that make me a moron?  Ive played plenty of other mmorpg's, and wow was just the one that I thought was the most fun to play.
    Yes, you entitled to not like wow, sure, your entitled to express your opinion about it, I dont care about that.  But please, Just because I play a game I enjoy dont assume I failed out of school and lack the knowledge and judgement to make opinions on other games.

glad you found your game. For us UO and EQ vets, WoW took our underground "style" and mainstreamed it. its like if you walked outside one day and saw a bunch of people dressing exactly as you do when before your style was somewhat unique, thus robbing you of some of your uniquity. Anytime you take something underground, as were EQ and UO and mainstream it, you piss on the pioneers.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Originally posted by Arcken

glad you found your game. For us UO and EQ vets, WoW took our underground "style" and mainstreamed it. its like if you walked outside one day and saw a bunch of people dressing exactly as you do when before your style was somewhat unique, thus robbing you of some of your uniquity. Anytime you take something underground, as were EQ and UO and mainstream it, you piss on the pioneers.

Don't put your words in my mouth. I have a long time EQ vet too and I am very glad that WOW came along and made the EQ idea into a polished, fun game instead of a 6-hour-with-nothing-to-show camp fest.

I started to play online game BEFORE UO (anyone heard of Kingdom of Drakkar). This are good reasons why WOW is successful and one of which is that it took UO & EQ's lesson, took the good ideas, discarded the bad, and polish it up.

BTW, back in my EQ days, everyone looks the same too. There wasn't even talent to customize the abilities of a char (that is before any expansions).

• safwdsafwd Member Posts: 879

GO BACK TO WOW NOOB!!!

Nobody else had said it so i had to.

Really though, i like many others here dont hate WoW, i just dont really like it. I really enjoyed it when it first came out and i thought it was pretty cool how easy it was to level solo, i primarily soloed in EQ and it wasnt nearly as easy. But the game quickly lost its appeal to me. Those of you who have played WoW for the past three years i applaud you, though i have no idea how you managed to play the game that long.

Many hate WoW because of what it has done to the genre. Though not he games fault it is obscenely popular which has made many devs want nothing more then to copy that popularity. A genre that used to be diverse and a MMO that pulled 50-100K Subscribers was fine now is all about making the huge money and getting a million + Subscribers. Sadly what he Devs dont realize is that he people who love games like WoW are playing WoW, and probably will continue to play WoW. Those who are looking for a new game are doing so because they dont want to play WoW.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    Originally posted by weblinkz2002

WoW was lucky in the fact that it had a brand name and the time it launched and the great job of their marketing team along with Vivendi. It did take the fun aspects from MMOs that came out first and WoW to me is not the first original MMO.

But Millions of people are playing the game so it has to be fun for them. That is if they aren't addicted.

Yeh they did a great job marketing the game along with Vivendi with 40$ mil budget just for pre-release marketing. Can you please tell me what's the different between a bad marketing and great marketing when you have so much money? Or actually when you have no money at all.. is it dependant on something like being great or it's just a question of money ?

REALITY CHECK

• PheacePheace Member Posts: 2,408

Originally posted by Thillian

Originally posted by weblinkz2002

Yeh they did a great job marketing the game along with Vivendi with 40$ mil budget just for pre-release marketing. Can you please tell me what's the different between a bad marketing and great marketing when you have so much money? Or actually when you have no money at all.. is it dependant on something like being great or it's just a question of money ?

All these people claiming the game got great due to marketing make me laugh. In the Netherlands MMO marketing is practically non-existant yet the game was immensely popular here right from the beta to opening. I have several friends that never even considered MMO gaming that got hooked the second i gave them a beta account to play with.

Yes, I know that's Viral marketing, but that has nothing to do with a multimedia marketing campaign and simply does *not* work if you don't have a good game.

This game grew big (here) on word of mouth, people loved it and infected other people who also loved playing it. It's that simple. Word of mouth gets you nowhere when your game sucks.

• NazarosNazaros Member Posts: 215
    Originally posted by Slampig

Following that same logic, let people who like McDonald get fat and lets not protest that playing WoW for too long will make you become a dumb gamer... (Proven "many times" just by looking at adults around me who played it for the past 3 years) So long as we don't have to deal with them or pay the medical bill at the end heh?

That's complete utter BS. WoW is a dangerous model, and it should be fought as one of the worst I.Q. reducer i have seen in this junk food industry so far.

What deserves to be done, deserves to be "well" done...

• Bedlem3342Bedlem3342 Member UncommonPosts: 252

[quote][i]Originally posted by EvilxBunny20[/i] [b]I don't hate or criticize you for playin it... I just hate the game... mainly because its the most popular MMO and fans say "OMG ITS THE MOST ORIGINAL GAME EVAR" when its not. Its taking what other MMOs did right, and putting it into 1 lil easy to level package. WoW itself is a clone of many other games, and it continues to take the credit from them all... thats why I dont respect it :)... besides, im a more hardcore MMO player... games like Everquest and FFXI are more my cup-o-tea :)[/b][/quote]  

And that is why i don't play ;becasue i have too many friend that are just like that.

Who wants play with people like that? I would rather play with the 2nd graders  in coh who log twice  a month to run  their "Mishies"  in the hollows.

Dont miss understand me i used to play coh long while back , great game. But thats what kind of people played it.

• Pappy13Pappy13 Member Posts: 2,138

Originally posted by safwd

Really though, i like many others here dont hate WoW, i just dont really like it. I really enjoyed it when it first came out and i thought it was pretty cool how easy it was to level solo, i primarily soloed in EQ and it wasnt nearly as easy. But the game quickly lost its appeal to me. Those of you who have played WoW for the past three years i applaud you, though i have no idea how you managed to play the game that long.
    I think this is a pretty common occurence.  Some play the game up to max level because it's pretty easy to do in WoW and then lose interest.  It's tougher to do that in EQ because it's tougher to get to max level.

How I've managed to maintain my subscription for 3 years is that I have 9 toons, one of each class.  3 are at max level and 2 more are within striking distance.  Those are all Alliance characters and I have a couple of Horde characters as well.  When you spread your time out over 11 toons, it's easy to keep playing for 3 years.  There's 2 kinds of folks that like WoW in my opinion.  The ones who like the end-game that WoW offers and the ones who are altaholics.  If you don't fall into 1 of those 2 categories, then WoW won't hold your interest for a long time.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Pretty much agreee with Pappy here.

Two types: PvP main and PvE main. While both do some of the other, they level completely different.

A PvE player will more than likely take the time to read the details of the quest, not just looking quickly to see "What do I kill and where do I go kill it?". He/she is looking for some story in there and seeing if it makes any sense with the previous quest he just did. PvE will then go along the way, and if other quests are along that route, hell stop and get those too. PvE will primarily try to do the questing in some type of order to keep the story clean. He is not interested in how long itll take to get to 30, 40 or 50. PvE generally isnt the type who goes "DING!" in your guild when they level. To them its about the ride, not the speed.

PvP is interested mainly in leveling as fast to 70 as humanly possible. Now its not all pvp but the majority. Theyll take a few quests, but generally wont read thru them or care about who the guy is they are killing or WHY they are killing him. Just that they have to kill him to get Quest 3/4 done so they can get the Hammer of Doom fast. PvP mostly wants to avoid any travelling around since it eats up time gaining exp, but would really just like to sit in a few spots and grind on the most exp available to get another level quickly. PvP people are more gear driven, simply because if your gear isnt as good as the other guy, you lose. So, they tend to be loot hogs and dont pass on too much. They also tend to be more ninja looters as pvp, because they can sell the gear to buy what they really need later. A PvP will also be pretty much watching how fast everyone else is leveling around him, so as not to fall behind in the "race."

Most games, the PvPer will burn out and get bored long before a PvE, because they ignore large amounts of content This is no different in WoW.

I really wish theyd make more games like Guild Wars for PvP people who generally dont want to read any storylines. They can log in there and kill each other right away without knowing any skills and do that until kingdom come.

The problem is, when games like WoW try to appease pvpers by making more of that content for them. Its a PvE game, but they try to get everyone. Then PvPers play thru it so fast to hack each other, and say the PvP sucks, while missing the main part of the game's design. Story.

Trying to split this baby (pvp and pve) is what kills so many other mmos, because you can't please everyone.

Just make PvP games separate from PvE games.

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884

Originally posted by popinjay

Pretty much agreee with Pappy here.
    Two types: PvP main and PvE main. While both do some of the other, they level completely different.
    A PvE player will more than likely take the time to read the details of the quest, not just looking quickly to see "What do I kill and where do I go kill it?". He/she is looking for some story in there and seeing if it makes any sense with the previous quest he just did. PvE will then go along the way, and if other quests are along that route, hell stop and get those too. PvE will primarily try to do the questing in some type of order to keep the story clean. He is not interested in how long itll take to get to 30, 40 or 50. PvE generally isnt the type who goes "DING!" in your guild when they level. To them its about the ride, not the speed.
    PvP is interested mainly in leveling as fast to 70 as humanly possible. Now its not all pvp but the majority. Theyll take a few quests, but generally wont read thru them or care about who the guy is they are killing or WHY they are killing him. Just that they have to kill him to get Quest 3/4 done so they can get the Hammer of Doom fast. PvP mostly wants to avoid any travelling around since it eats up time gaining exp, but would really just like to sit in a few spots and grind on the most exp available to get another level quickly. PvP people are more gear driven, simply because if your gear isnt as good as the other guy, you lose. So, they tend to be loot hogs and dont pass on too much. They also tend to be more ninja looters as pvp, because they can sell the gear to buy what they really need later. A PvP will also be pretty much watching how fast everyone else is leveling around him, so as not to fall behind in the "race."
    Most games, the PvPer will burn out and get bored long before a PvE, because they ignore large amounts of content This is no different in WoW.
    I really wish theyd make more games like Guild Wars for PvP people who generally dont want to read any storylines. They can log in there and kill each other right away without knowing any skills and do that until kingdom come.
    The problem is, when games like WoW try to appease pvpers by making more of that content for them. Its a PvE game, but they try to get everyone. Then PvPers play thru it so fast to hack each other, and say the PvP sucks, while missing the main part of the game's design. Story.
    Trying to split this baby (pvp and pve) is what kills so many other mmos, because you can't please everyone.
    Just make PvP games separate from PvE games.

generalisations... dribble... ego...

You fail, on every point!