Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GeForce 8800GT upgrade for old PC?

windstrike1windstrike1 Member Posts: 553

I have an old Dell XPS400 that I'd like to upgrade a bit (to play Lineage2 on). 

Current setup:

- 1 gig RAM

- GeForce 6800

- Dual 2.8 gig Pentiums

Desired upgrades

- Increase RAM to 3 gigs

- Swap graphics card for a GeForce 8800GT

Questions;

1. The PC was built (by Dell) for a GeForce 6800.  Do you think the Power Supply will be ok if I upgrade the card to a 8800GT and up the RAM to 3 gigs?  How much PS do I require for that setup? 

2.  How can I find out if the 8800GT will even fit in my case properly?  I'm sure Dell PC's are not really made to be upgraded.  Anyone have experience/knowledge regarding this?

Comments

• windstrike1windstrike1 Member Posts: 553

Took a look at the existing PSU, here's what it reads;

DC Output 375w

+5V = 22A MAX

+5V = (FP) = 2A MAX

+12VA = 18A MAX

Dell P/N P8401

Model# L375P-00

I hear the 8800GT requires 22 Amps.  I also heard that Dell under-rates its PSU's, and it will out-perform the specs.  Am I going to have to order a new PSU from DELL?  (They use proprietary PSU's)

• windstrike1windstrike1 Member Posts: 553

Nevermind.  I'm going to toss this trash in the scrap heap. 

• TrentasyTrentasy Member Posts: 22

the power supply will probaly need to be upgraded,  you should be running 750+ watts for if you want to upgrade your computer with all gear, 

i did the hole big upgrade from a geforce 6800 to a 8800 and it worked fine for me, as well for ur ram it should be fine.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

Originally posted by Trentasy

the power supply will probaly need to be upgraded,  you should be running 750+ watts for if you want to upgrade your computer with all gear, 
    i did the hole big upgrade from a geforce 6800 to a 8800 and it worked fine for me, as well for ur ram it should be fine.
    750watts is overkill by alot unless your running sli. i have a 550w ps and i have:

8800gt 512meg 650mhz

2 gigs of ddr-800 ram

4 hard drives (2 sata II 2 pata)

AMD 4200+ X2 Athlon 64 proc

DVD-RW w/Lightscribe drive

and USB scaner/camera/mic/printer

and i still have plenty of power to spare