Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard new player seeking for advice

Im going to play vanguard soon :) im sure my new pc can run it.

Any tipsand advice  for a new player? whats the best race and job for a new player to begin with?

If you watch The Karate Kid backwards it's about this karate champ that just kinda slowly becomes a pussy and ends up moving back to Jersey

Comments

• NickA02NickA02 Member Posts: 22

I am also new to this game, i have started a cleric and only got to level 7 yesterday. Im in tursh right now and need guidance on where to go to lvl up my toon.

I would say all the classes are pretty balanced. I heard that necromancer is the best soloer.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

1st thing you need to do is in your starting area find the Harvesting trainer go thru his short quest line will steer you in the right direction with harvesting and set you up to choose your 2 harvesting schools .... I stress this so you can get a qwik  jump on this and progress thru Tiers 1 and 2 while you are in those low lvl areas ... And can still get Adv  exp in same areas..

This will also help you along the way of putting some coin in yer pocket..Tier 3 can be acheievd fairly qwik allowing you start selleing stacks and rares for some gold to get gear ... Tier 1 and 2 stacks sell also but housing and ship resources seem to sell well once you get Tier 3..

If yer in Tursh you can work yer way South to Renton Keep where you can pick up your 1st URT quests which give real nice gear early on most are solo some classes need help with final quest of a couple...    

All classes can solo well in VG some just faster than others..

Im on Seradon if you need some more help message Ricochet..

Keep Safe Friends......

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491

My tip is to not play it!  lol seriously, don't play it. 

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

Trolls wil go through any lengths to post useless garbage on a useful thread....

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

I really enjoyed the quests for a kojani monk.  Was really a lot of fun and a monk is a pretty good solo class.

---
    Ethion

• ZoobieZoobie Member Posts: 27

I have the trial, and I started a Raki Paladin. The quests, while simple, are actually pretty fun. I've battled through quite a few outposts, seen a few bigger cities, all of which are awe-inspiring. I'm only level 8, and my character looks like a total badass already. The battles are fun for me, honestly, I can hold off quite a few foes simulatiously. I haven't grouped with more than one person so far, but I think at this point soloing is the best option anyhow. I managed to put my render setting at "high performance" while the texture quality is at "low", the game runs pretty smoothly and the environments are amazing.

Here is what I looked like a level ago. It's my Raki Paladin in the Glade of the Lost, next to the statue is a chest containing a crystal I needed to begin a ritual with a quest-giver, very fun so far.

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/2294/28233381cg5.png

I'll post a few more screens once I hit level 9, I have pure green armor right now but a fellow paladin mailed me a breastplate just to be nice. Unfortunately I can't equip it until level nine, when I do i'll post a screen because the armor looks great.

I hope you enjoy the game,

Zoobie

• oskironmaideoskironmaide Member Posts: 336

Originally posted by Stellos

My tip is to not play it!  lol seriously, don't play it.
    ....  lol

anyway :D my pc can run this game smooth on max settings. :) thnx for the advice  any more MATURE tips are apreciated..

If you watch The Karate Kid backwards it's about this karate champ that just kinda slowly becomes a pussy and ends up moving back to Jersey

• FischerBlackFischerBlack Member Posts: 573

My advice is to get involved in the player economy as early as possible. Whether you do that by harvesting mats and putting them on the broker, doing some crafting, or finding a mob that drops yellow/orange loot for decon or any other way is fine, but I think you'll really find yourself 'ahead of the curve' if you can get a bit of a cash flow going early and keep yourself well geared through the levels.

And of course do your best to find a solid guild - this game gets pretty group intensive at higher levels.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

1. Play the class you LIKE. The balance between classes is ever shifting. For example, yesterday Warrior sucked, today everyone wants Warrior in group for their ability to increase the whole group dps. Yesterday Monk sucked three times over, today everyone wants Monks for their ability to separate single mobs from the rest of the group, besides their ability to offtank even much better than any other melee dps class (which are the best after tanks), and they have the best fake death - so they are most likely to stay alive when the rest of the group gets slaughtered.

2. Dont believe the stuff people say about classes in forums. Many of these ratings are from people who dont actually play the class they rate. Many of these stories are based on the sight of somebody who was really good at playing HIS class and probably had good gear, and/or luck, from the perspective of somebody who isnt really good at playing his own class and has bad gear, doesnt now anything substantial about the other class, hasnt understood what was going on, didnt knew the other guy was fully buffed, etc etc etc. Or, in short, the forums are full of crap.

3. Get two harvesting skills early, and train them once in a while. Its *totally* worth it, no matter what harvesting skills you choose. And if you're low on money, simply get harvesting. I was always amazed how fast you can make money with harvest if you just do it. Personally, I would maybe suggest choose Skinning/Leather for your main, because that one cannot be maxed without having the level for killing the mobs. Thats not as urgent as in the past anymore, though, as prices for rare leather hides arent as insane anymore.

4. Get a stack of decon tools ASAP from a general merchant - and decon all drops you dont want to use.

5. Get the beginners "crafters bag" ASAP from the crafting gear merchant in the starter towns. You dont need to learn crafting - just get the BAG, nothing else. It will allow you to store all dusts and later powders, shards and crystals you deconned, which will save you a lot of inventory space AND will be the base for your wealth. Btw, dont be confused - all crafting materials will by default end up in the crafting bag now.

6. Again, get harvest and catalysts. And sell them on the broker. For no matter how much your servers economy is screwed up - harvest and catalysts will simply increase in value if another gang of goldbuyers will cause another insane inflation.

7. Yes, race matters. I'm not saying that you should choose the race according to whats optimal. Just dont think race is totally irrelevant. If you want to be totally optimal, you have usually only one choice. For example, a Lesser Giant Warrior will have a lot easier day to keep Aggro than a Dwarf Warrior, because at level 50, a Lesser Giant can have +123 Strength more than the Dwarf, assuming both wear exactly the same gear. Of course, the Dwarf has a different advantage - he has +82 Constitution over the Lesser Giant (and +41 Wisdom, which means longer Power Attack, which means a bit more dps and more Aggro). And using his racial, the Dwarf can protect himself against stun. While the Lesser Giant, through his racial, can get +50% HP for a short time. So its really not easy to decide what race is best - and its a lot about personal opinion.

8. A good guild helps a ton, if you can find one.

9. You dont need to do crafting, or diplo. Especially not if you are in a good guild. But diplo will allow you to access the lore of the game and have fun with it. Crafting will allow you to make many newbies happy, and that very soon, too.

10. Do NOT expect to make money with crafting. You can make money with crafting, no doubt. But - it will take time. In fact, to get the real money, it will take a lot of time, and you're in to a LOT of competition as well. Especially please dont check the values of crafted items and get into the illusion that thats the money the crafter gets. The crafter has to invest a lot of money fist, to actually craft that item, and if its a valueable item, it might actually simply rest at the broker for ages. Harvesting is a much faster get rich scheme as crafting.

11. Have fun, before anything else. Its just a game. Its there to have fun. :)

• boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553

I'd only add.... mix it up... try a few races/classes combo.  There is ALOT of difference between the classes and ALOT of difference between the races in terms of racial abilities and ALOT of difference between the starting area questions.  For example the Orc line of newbie quests is really interesting and does a great job with building the lore.... perhaps a Dread Knight Orc would deserve a test run.

• ZoobieZoobie Member Posts: 27

I'd agree with the posters before me, mix it up and just try leveling a few classes/races to lvl 10 or so. Each starting area is very scenic, the quests are pretty fun, etc... I've tried a few different races/classes and each has been a unique experience. Just enjoy the game for what it's worth, I am having a blast despite low server population.

• elf8blisself8bliss Member UncommonPosts: 304

Adamantine said it best.

• oskironmaideoskironmaide Member Posts: 336

Ty the ones that gave constructive comments..

• parmenionparmenion Member Posts: 260

The big draw for Vanguard is without a doubt the classes and the depth and variety of their abilities and their general feel and playstyles.

You may have played monks in 20 other game systems, but they are boring 1 trick ponies compared to monks in VG, & yet VG monks still feel exactly the way a monk should... just better, with the amount of depth all the other games should have given them - it's impressive.

The excellence of the class design is  consistant, VG paladins are the most fun paladin you have ever played, VG rangers are simply the best, VG rogues are fantastic, VG shamen are superb, VG warriors are great, VG necromancers are awesome, VG warriors, VG clerics etc etc - the list goes on.

You may want to try out quite a few of the classes, because it's very hard choosing between them, & any that might have a minor edge right now, won't forever etc - play the class style you like, they are all well defined and interesting.

• slannmageslannmage Member Posts: 540

Originally posted by parmenion

The big draw for Vanguard is without a doubt the classes and the depth and variety of their abilities and their general feel and playstyles.

You may have played monks in 20 other game systems, but they are boring 1 trick ponies compared to monks in VG, & yet VG monks still feel exactly the way a monk should... just better, with the amount of depth all the other games should have given them - it's impressive.

The excellence of the class design is  consistant, VG paladins are the most fun paladin you have ever played, VG rangers are simply the best, VG rogues are fantastic, VG shamen are superb, VG warriors are great, VG necromancers are awesome, VG warriors, VG clerics etc etc - the list goes on.

You may want to try out quite a few of the classes, because it's very hard choosing between them, & any that might have a minor edge right now, won't forever etc - play the class style you like, they are all well defined and interesting.

I dunno i found the classes to be the weakest point cause they were boring and bland.

• TautologyTautology Member Posts: 188

I agree to this poster, the classes are one of the strong characteristics of Vanguard and diversified.  I've never had so much fun with a simple warrior class.  

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

I definitely agree.

The class system of Vanguard is its strongest point. I havent played many other MMOs yet, but I fear no other game has such an interesting array of interdependent abilities. Even a Warrior is an extremely complex class with a lot of different skills and abilities.

The other exclusive feature I really love about the game are the insane sight distances. You really can look to the horizont.

• swede2swede2 Member Posts: 975
    Originally posted by slannmage

I dunno i found the classes to be the weakest point cause they were boring and bland.

Ocne again slan if your going to take petty little jab's at vanguard in every tread than at least share with us what game you feel has interesting classes , am sure we could all use a good laugh

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

Originally posted by swede2

Ocne again slan if your going to take petty little jab's at vanguard in every tread than at least share with us what game you feel has interesting classes , am sure we could all use a good laugh

Could just stop feeding the trolls to much, aswell. If he gets fan pm's "Rofloldolldude your are so funny and cool. Your posts on MMORPG makes you my hero" after he trolled the forums, let him have that amusement.

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• swede2swede2 Member Posts: 975
    Originally posted by Orphes

Originally posted by swede2

Could just stop feeding the trolls to much, aswell. If he gets fan pm's "Rofloldolldude your are so funny and cool. Your posts on MMORPG makes you my hero" after he trolled the forums, let him have that amusement.

True enough, Orphes

• osirissosiriss Member Posts: 136

Originally posted by Scorchien

1st thing you need to do is in your starting area find the Harvesting trainer go thru his short quest line will steer you in the right direction with harvesting and set you up to choose your 2 harvesting schools .... I stress this so you can get a qwik  jump on this and progress thru Tiers 1 and 2 while you are in those low lvl areas ... And can still get Adv  exp in same areas..
                                  This will also help you along the way of putting some coin in yer pocket..Tier 3 can be acheievd fairly qwik allowing you start selleing stacks and rares for some gold to get gear ... Tier 1 and 2 stacks sell also but housing and ship resources seem to sell well once you get Tier 3..
                                   If yer in Tursh you can work yer way South to Renton Keep where you can pick up your 1st URT quests which give real nice gear early on most are solo some classes need help with final quest of a couple...    
                                    All classes can solo well in VG some just faster than others..
                                     Im on Seradon if you need some more help message Ricochet..
                                      Keep Safe Friends......

Good advice here but the comment that all classes can solo is a bit warped. There are only a few classes that can solo 6 dots at high lvl. Any class can reach top lvl solo but try taking lvl 52 5-6 dots down and most classes will die..

Necro= great soloist but they have to kite mobs with pet. A necro is truly gimped when its time to go down into a dungeon  because there is not enough space to kite.

Shaman( especially bear) is probably the best soloist  in vanguard. He does not need to kite because he has very good melee and his pet is a bad ass tank. Don't forget that he is also one of the healer classes and can kill anything a necro can above ground and underground.

Bard =is a good soloist but he has to kite 3-6 dots and it takes a long time.

Cleric= is a very good soloist but he takes even longer than a bard...make sure you have a pillow lol its that slow.. healer class...

Druid =can solo well but its slow and he is not a healer class..only self  heals ..

Disciple= is a very good soloist and a healer class..

Death Knight= very good soloist...

These are the classes i think are the best soloist in VG with the bear shammy piping the necro because of his need to kite. Take the pet away and its all over..take the shammy pet away and he just keeps going in bear form...

Oh did i say that the bear shammy is also the best pvp class and with full flawless armor can take down a whole group...he is also a medium armor wearer unlike the necro who is light armor..

• elf8blisself8bliss Member UncommonPosts: 304

My main is a ranger, and I have no probs soloing. They can kite with major dps, and have a great melee arsenal to finish.

• osirissosiriss Member Posts: 136
    Originally posted by elf8bliss

My main is a ranger, and I have no probs soloing. They can kite with major dps, and have a great melee arsenal to finish.

Yeah.. i agree with you the ranger does mad dps and can solo well.

• slannmageslannmage Member Posts: 540

Not trolling i'm just giving a opinion..........

I just don't see how you can all like the blandness of this game.

• joeybootsjoeyboots Member UncommonPosts: 628

To slannmage: Ok dude, you win, Vanguard suxors! Ok, you happy now? Can you shut up now, and get off the VG forums? It would be much appreciated. Thanks.

P.s: At least most of the trolls I have had the displeasure of dealing with, could pull more than idiotic one-liners out of their asses. Matter of fact, you make other trolls look like Nobel Peace Prize winners. Write a paragraph or two next time, you know, details as to why you don't like the game....surprise us.