Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

using an HD TV as a monitor

ThomasBPGThomasBPG Member UncommonPosts: 86

has anyone done this? Ive got people who swear by it and others that say they get massive ghosting while using it as a computer monitor.

30 inch monitor is 1200-1400 dollars

I can get a tv thats 52 inch for 1800 and still use it as a tv.

Im not sure what to look for in tv's that would be helpful for using it as a monitor

Comments

• TrentasyTrentasy Member Posts: 22

what you want in a tv monitor is a high Response Time per frame,  or MS , ms refers to the refresh rate of the monitor, it's how long each pixel takes to change from one colour to another, the best that you can get is 2ms

if your gonna get a 52 inch for your monitor then you gotta have a extremely good graphics card, if you got  a geforce 6 or 7 series card then it will be laggy as hell and not a good very good picture,

so i would recommend the 30 inch, and most of them are actually designed and built for a computer monitor / tv 

• elvenangelelvenangel Member Posts: 2,205

Its possible to do it...our company does it for shows &demonstrations of our software running live.  The only problem is they're incredibly expensive for large ones  if you want one with a fast response time or that doesn't have burn in problems.

Video games Burn into some HD tv's not all but some gotta watch out for that.  LCD monitors are capable of HD and cheaper and don't have burn in go for one of those.

Please Refer to Doom Cat with all conspiracies & evil corporation complaints. He'll give you the simple explination of..WE"RE ALL DOOMED!

• ThomasBPGThomasBPG Member UncommonPosts: 86

Guy at work has a 42 inch TV he just bought says its really nice. I plan on doing SLI Geforce 8800 GTS 512 megs of ram cards

I just dont wanna buy a tv and it not work right.

• TrentasyTrentasy Member Posts: 22

nice choice, shouldnt give you much of a problem them, i hook my computer up to my 42 inch tv and im running a 8800 gtx ultra with it and it runs sweet for me

• cshanorcshanor Member UncommonPosts: 64

I currently use a 50" DLP HDTV by Toshiba, with a GeForce 8800 GTS and I have had no problems with it. I notice no ghosting at all. I have played EQ2, WoW and Guild Wars on it.  The only trick is when setting it up trying to find the resolution that works perfectly with the monitor.

The Nvidia control panel includes a utility for sizing the resolution based upon your TVs aspect ratio, and it seems to work alright. I am using a 1280x720 resolution.

The TV is connected to the video card using a DVI to HDMI patch cable.

The only, albeit very slight, drawback is that very fine text, ie: 8pts or lowers can sometimes be blurry and difficult to read, but that can also depend on the font being used.

• ThomasBPGThomasBPG Member UncommonPosts: 86

Sounds good I mostly wanna use it for BF2 Warhammer online and Age of conan when they come out.

• ErikmichealErikmicheal Member Posts: 80

I use a 32" Samsung for my games and let me tell you... You havent played your game until u play it on a LCD with high contrast ratio. For instance i played SWG on it and now every one of friends who see it want to play. lol so grab up that LCD big boy and have some fun and play the way it was meant to be played!! Good Luck mang

P.S don't forget you get what you pay for... save a buck get a f*ck i always say

• TheFranchiseTheFranchise Member Posts: 241
    Basically, what CSHanor said. I use a big rear-projection HDTV for games, and it works great. People poo-poo CRTs due to the size, (and, yes, burn-in IF you crank the contrast way up), but they can handle pretty much any resolution natively, and there's no screen-door effect (seeing individual pixels) so you can sit as close as you want. I play at 1920x1080, and it's pretty. It's so pretty. BUT, like CSHanor said, I wouldn't care to use one for non-games much due to text, and, honestly, the TV is too big for casual internet surfing or whatever for many hours.